Author Topic: The Official Lack of Motivation Thread  (Read 4757 times)

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
The Official Lack of Motivation Thread
« on: May 09, 2011, 10:39:05 PM »
Anyone else feel bored and have no motivation to do anything?  Feel like everything you do is because you're expected to do it, not because of an inward drive of your own? 

No matter what I do, I get bored quickly, be it academic and career, hobbies, video games, exercising, etc. 

ITT discuss whether you've felt this way and/or ways you've overcome it.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
Re: The Official Lack of Motivation Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 11:14:08 PM »
Yeah it's kind of close to depression

and I'm always like that. psh why bother who cares whatever give up /stuff

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 11:24:59 PM »
I don't consider myself depressed, but then again, I'm not particularly good at analyzing myself.

Offline TL

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 11:28:19 PM »
I definitely get this sometimes. Complete lack of motivation, and when I start doing something, it's difficult to keep with it because it feels like I should be doing something else with my time (that something else never being a specific thing). I usually find it irritating more than anything, and if I'm doing something at all productive, it usually passes.

I wouldn't describe my experiences with this as depression at all, but it is unpleasant.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 11:28:49 PM »
I used to feel this way.

Nowadays, I have learned that my passions are math and making music, and I get to be involved in both of them all the time now. I am constantly in my books or practicing instruments/writing songs (before my social life). I guess for me, it was finding what I loved and running with it.

There are my lazy days, but no overall laziness. I would get depressed that way.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 11:41:07 PM »
Yeah, I'm finding that what used to keep me interested no longer holds my attention for very long.  And TL, I get something similar where I feel like I should be doing something important (and sometimes there is a specific thing, sometimes not), but instead of replacing it with something, I just don't do anything.

I have a few friends I hang out with regularly, and when we hang out, it's fine, but if I'm by myself, I'm bored out of my mind and just sit around on my computer doing nothing.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 12:15:00 AM »
I watch TV, but I find it hard to stay conscious....I get totally bored, but I can't switch off.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 12:26:03 AM »
I've got no motivation
where is my motivation
no time for motivation
smoking my inspiration....

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline In The Name Of Rudess

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 01:10:49 AM »
Apathy is the umbrella term for lack of motivation, procrastination, boredom etc. Apathy is an elaborate defence mechanism of the mind. Apathy is an emotion that takes up all the mind and body's energy. It is used by the mind for avoidance of painful feelings. Because apathy takes up all energy, there is no energy left for dealing with emotions. This causes the emotions to get suppressed. Apathy implies nonacceptance; refusing to feel anything. Usually when people say "I don't care", it is not true. This determination to "not care" is a form of resistance, an attachment.

Apathy is indeed a lot like depression. People with severe depression often lie in bed all day, emotionally numb, with no motivation to do anything. It is a very extreme form of apathy. Depressed people often have huge emotional problems, and their mind does everything to keep the person from facing them.

I have a few friends I hang out with regularly, and when we hang out, it's fine, but if I'm by myself, I'm bored out of my mind and just sit around on my computer doing nothing.

This is a very good example of apathy. Social interaction is another defence mechanism of the mind. Social interaction usually takes up all of our attention. This means we don't have to deal with our emotions. When used this way, it functions much the same as apathy. This is why some people always need to be around others, and can't be happy when they are alone. In your case, when you are alone apathy takes over.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 01:17:20 AM by In The Name Of Rudess »

Offline ThroughHerEyesDude6

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 02:02:35 AM »
^Good insight.

As for me, I have very little motivation to paint these days. I carry my sketchbook with me as much as possible, and I get great ideas now and again that make me want to paint, but I have no motivation right now to keep painting.

I've got enough work to make a show from, there's not enough room left to store it all, and the general influences I am inspired by cover a lot of the material that I want to do. Trying to make it my own is the hardest part.

But meh.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 02:05:27 AM »
I watch TV, but I find it hard to stay conscious....I get totally bored, but I can't switch off.

What you did there.

I see it.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 02:07:34 AM »

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 05:28:13 AM »
I've really got a lot to say about how I wish I was more enthused to do anything and how I often find myself lacking motivation/inspiration, but I see no motive behind typing all that shit out.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2011, 05:46:02 AM »
I'm either on fire with motivation or I can't get out of lazy mode.
The beginning of a day and the way I react to it sets the precedence. If I start off with drive I usually have a great productive day. Other days I can't seem to get out of my own way.
I am off from work today and plan on doing much.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2011, 06:06:46 AM »
I've been feeling this way about work a lot lately. I left my previous job because I was getting bored and it was unstimulating. My new job is basically just more of the same. I don't dislike it, but I often feel it's not "my calling" or whatever. The problem is that I don't know what my calling is! I wish I could think of something that would make me excited to go to work in the morning. I make good money and really shouldn't complain. Sometimes I feel like I've got Peter Gibbons syndrome. I'd just rather sit at home with my family and do nothing all day than work.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2011, 06:10:13 AM »
This is like me for every exam on my course ever.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2011, 11:37:46 AM »
Apathy is the umbrella term for lack of motivation, procrastination, boredom etc. Apathy is an elaborate defence mechanism of the mind. Apathy is an emotion that takes up all the mind and body's energy. It is used by the mind for avoidance of painful feelings. Because apathy takes up all energy, there is no energy left for dealing with emotions. This causes the emotions to get suppressed. Apathy implies nonacceptance; refusing to feel anything. Usually when people say "I don't care", it is not true. This determination to "not care" is a form of resistance, an attachment.

Apathy is indeed a lot like depression. People with severe depression often lie in bed all day, emotionally numb, with no motivation to do anything. It is a very extreme form of apathy. Depressed people often have huge emotional problems, and their mind does everything to keep the person from facing them.

This is a very good example of apathy. Social interaction is another defence mechanism of the mind. Social interaction usually takes up all of our attention. This means we don't have to deal with our emotions. When used this way, it functions much the same as apathy. This is why some people always need to be around others, and can't be happy when they are alone. In your case, when you are alone apathy takes over.

Huh, that seems to make a lot of sense, but I don't think I have severe emotional issues that I'm bottling up. I share how I'm feeling with my friends, sometimes too much.  I'm a pretty well adjusted guy, though I'm definitely more introverted in new social situations. 

All my life I've had a few close friends rather than a lot of semi-close friends, and I had plenty of time alone, but was able to enjoy that time with things such as playing guitar, exercise, video games, tv and movies, etc.  Now it seems like none of those seem appealing.  I may do them for short bursts, but they don't satisfy me like they have in the past.

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2011, 11:41:03 AM »

:lol

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2011, 12:13:40 PM »
Huh, that seems to make a lot of sense, but I don't think I have severe emotional issues that I'm bottling up. I share how I'm feeling with my friends, sometimes too much.  I'm a pretty well adjusted guy, though I'm definitely more introverted in new social situations. 

All my life I've had a few close friends rather than a lot of semi-close friends, and I had plenty of time alone, but was able to enjoy that time with things such as playing guitar, exercise, video games, tv and movies, etc.  Now it seems like none of those seem appealing.  I may do them for short bursts, but they don't satisfy me like they have in the past.

If you don't think you have any severe emotional issues, then you are probably right. But it's likely that you are suppressing some emotions, at least enough to cause apathy. This is not so strange, considering >95% of all males (and a fair percentage of females) in western society have been conditioned to do so. "an inability to experience pleasure in activities that were formerly enjoyed" is one of the symptoms of depression, but judging from your response this seems pretty unlikely. I would recommend you try this: https://www.urbanmonk.net/85/the-elusive-key-to-emotional-mastery-is-it-really-that-simple/ Release any emotions that come up. If nothing comes up, try it again the next time you're feeling bored.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2011, 12:15:59 PM »
I can't remember the last time I've been motivated to do anything.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2011, 12:18:33 PM »
Try taking your lips off the bong first.

Offline Logical Nightmare

• DTF.org Member
  • YAAAY! awww...
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2011, 01:01:13 PM »
I just saw this thread and I'm just now struggling with a similar problem. I love music and I love playing the bass - but every time I get stressed because of school or whatever I just lose all the motivation to practice. This is bad because a) I'm taking bass classes in school and I will be graded, and b) playing some would help me relax. I think that the reason I shut off the motivation is that it feels like another stress moment - I have to practice, which stresses me, and so I don't.

This is now a pressing matter since I'm having my final test in bass playing this Monday and I really, really, really need to practice what I'm going to play! But I don't. I keep procrastinating until it's too late or I simply forget. It sucks because I know how much I love it, and yet I'm pushing it away. I want to be good at it, I really do, but the motivation to pick the bass up just isn't there.

This thread was a good reminder at least. As soon as I hit "post" I will go practise.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2011, 01:03:49 PM »

I get more things done when I'm stoned than I do when I'm sober.  :P

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2011, 01:24:37 PM »

Sounds like my brother. :lol

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2011, 04:09:26 PM »

You're lucky. I get couchlogged.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2011, 11:26:03 PM »
I just saw this thread and I'm just now struggling with a similar problem. I love music and I love playing the bass - but every time I get stressed because of school or whatever I just lose all the motivation to practice. This is bad because a) I'm taking bass classes in school and I will be graded, and b) playing some would help me relax. I think that the reason I shut off the motivation is that it feels like another stress moment - I have to practice, which stresses me, and so I don't.

This is now a pressing matter since I'm having my final test in bass playing this Monday and I really, really, really need to practice what I'm going to play! But I don't. I keep procrastinating until it's too late or I simply forget. It sucks because I know how much I love it, and yet I'm pushing it away. I want to be good at it, I really do, but the motivation to pick the bass up just isn't there.

This thread was a good reminder at least. As soon as I hit "post" I will go practise.

Good luck, I'm sure we'll get through...whatever this is!

If you don't think you have any severe emotional issues, then you are probably right. But it's likely that you are suppressing some emotions, at least enough to cause apathy. This is not so strange, considering >95% of all males (and a fair percentage of females) in western society have been conditioned to do so. "an inability to experience pleasure in activities that were formerly enjoyed" is one of the symptoms of depression, but judging from your response this seems pretty unlikely. I would recommend you try this: https://www.urbanmonk.net/85/the-elusive-key-to-emotional-mastery-is-it-really-that-simple/ Release any emotions that come up. If nothing comes up, try it again the next time you're feeling bored.

Very interesting article, thanks!  I tried it (twice) but it didn't really seem to help.  :-\

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2011, 11:50:58 PM »

I'm like this too actually.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2011, 11:13:51 AM »

I'm like this too actually.

Third.

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2011, 11:48:29 AM »
That's because marihuana (and other drugs/alcohol) suppresses emotions. Therefore, it has the same effect as apathy, without the apathy.

Very interesting article, thanks!  I tried it (twice) but it didn't really seem to help.  :-\

It doesn't always work right away, especially when you have no experience with other mental work such as meditation. You should try it when the emotion is at its strongest. Paradoxically, that will be the hardest time to try it, because the resistance will be the largest at that moment. Treat the apathy like an emotion, even though it may not feel like a "regular" emotion like anger or fear. Not feeling anything at all is an emotion too, and it can be released accordingly.