Author Topic: Any weight loss/ bulk-up success stories out there?  (Read 9536 times)

Offline Ħ

Any weight loss/ bulk-up success stories out there?
« on: May 05, 2011, 09:10:57 PM »
Taken from the other thread.  I personally know that my grandma went from being overweight to super skinny, all due to how she completely changed her diet, got a trainer, and worked out real hard.  It's very inspiring since she's 70 or something.  But I don't know too many people in real life that have drastically developed their physique.  So does anyone have any cool stories?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
Re: Any weight loss/ bulk-up success stories out there?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 09:15:07 PM »
Not any kind of extraordinary story behind, but basically I decreased/controlled my calorie intake drastically, and ran every day for about 45 mins to an hour, and lost about 50 lbs in a year. Used to be roughly 190-200 lbs. and now I hover in the 150s.

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 09:17:34 PM »
Went from 125 pounds to 160 pounds 9% bodyfat in 8 months.
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 09:24:31 PM »
Whoa that is crazy awesome guys!  Very inspiring.  Nic, I think I have similar goals right now...how did you keep your eye on the ball and not give up?  At 125 pounds, you are a little less than me right now, and wow, when I go to lift I just feel puny.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Nic35

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 09:36:09 PM »
It's a question of dedication. Dedication and commitment.
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 09:54:52 PM »
I went from 262 to 190 in about a year and a few months from working out and controlling what I eat.

Offline Nic35

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 10:04:03 PM »
I went from 262 to 190 in about a year and a few months from working out and controlling what I eat.
70 pounds :eek That's awesome :tup

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 10:05:28 PM »

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 06:07:54 AM »
Not as dramatic as some, but I lost 30 pounds within 6 months or so by using a reasonable combination of eating less and healthier and getting more exercise. The key is falling into a routine and sticking to it. When it's a routine, it's easy to continue.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2011, 06:25:22 AM »
I have been flirting with this diet called the Primal diet. Basically very low carb. Every time I start to get back on it, it's like instant weight loss. I am naturally a very big guy (stocky and not short), but I also tend to pack a few extra pounds and I hold a lot of extra weight with a lot of carbs.

Offline Kura

• (●ゝω・)ノ ♡
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2011, 03:00:49 PM »
I went to a site once where the forums had a success/ bulk up thread and it was very inspirational.

I believe it was here: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=108359701

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2011, 04:05:08 PM »
I went from 285 to 207. After my fall, I couldn't do much for a while, then this semester kicked my ass so I'm back up to 230. It will come back off in no time though as soon as I can get back into the gym

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2011, 07:55:57 PM »
I went from 260 to 190, though I currently reside at 205. I'll be dropping those 15 back down once school is done and I move back to my old place and have more time to work out.

Before:

After:
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline MasterLomaxus

• Onion Flakes
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2011, 09:46:20 PM »
I went from a scrawny 163lbs to 185lbs in about 8 months.  I am by no means "buff", but I did get some huge muscle gains, doing P90x

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2011, 01:38:06 PM »
After graduating high school I went from a very overweight 200 to 165 in a matter of a couple of months. Lots of work and lots of dieting but I was able to pull it off. Funny thing is now I'm a tad under 200 but look way better from all the muscle I've gained over the years.

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2011, 08:51:55 PM »
My husband was into bodybuilding when we met 20 years ago (July 7, 1991 to be exact) and he was in great shape - he's 5' 10" and he was cut, probably about 185 pounds -- this photo was taken in 1995, when he was still in great shape just prior to getting out of shape - age 25:

Then he started drinking -- a lot, a 12 pack a night most nights of the week -- and after 8 years he looked more like this at 240 pounds  (2003, age 33) --

In August 2008 I quit drinking and in October 2008 my husband quit, too.

In January 2009 he went back into his extreme bodybuilding routine, eating an extremely rigid diet, ridiculous amounts of protein shakes and other supplements, taking a billion vitamins a day, and working out five days a week (20-30 minutes cardio on the bike first, followed by whichever body part(s) are up that day for about an hour/90 minutes, both free weights and smith machine plus other equipment he has down in the weight room/basement).

For more than a year now he's been back down around 200 pounds, pure muscle. He has no body fat, I shit you not:

I took those an hour ago when he got done working out (this was back day but I didn't get any good back photos. He wasn't into posing.)

Not bad for 41, eh? ;)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 08:59:50 PM by JustJen »
  ~ a.k.a. VFS in a past life :vfs:

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2011, 08:55:19 PM »
Oldest son in 2007, age 14, just starting to work out --

Age 17 --

Good bodies run in the family  :hat

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2011, 08:57:27 PM »
In the past few weeks I've lost 20+ lbs. I've forgotten by exact start date. Maybe a month? I started at somewhere over 260, I forgot to get an actual before weight. But I wouldn't be surprised if I was even skirting 270. Now I'm hovering around 240. That seems to have not really moved in about a week. Need to exercise more, but the horrible rainy weather doesn't help that much.

All I've done is fix my sleep schedule (which in turn fixed my eating schedule), make sure to not over eat, make sure to not eat things that are absolutely horrible for me. Pretty much cut out chips and soda (maybe a can of diet coke a week). And I keep active.

Pants fit well again. Feels good.

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2011, 08:58:08 PM »
:hat that is fantastic!! huge amount of weight, great job. :hat

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2011, 09:28:05 PM »
Jen, that is insanely impressive. Your husband's guns could take down the great wall of China.  :eek

Also, I'm usually really insecure about what I used to look like, but if everyone else has the balls to show their before-and-after pictures, I figured I might as well swallow my pride:

This was around late 2007. lolfat

And this was just a few months ago:

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2011, 09:37:58 PM »
I've actually been wondering man, what was the most key part to your weight loss?
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2011, 10:33:21 PM »
I've actually been wondering man, what was the most key part to your weight loss?
Honestly, I think running has helped the most. When I decided to start working out, running was what I started with, and I immediately began to see results. I later picked up lifting some weights (nothing excessive, just for my arms) and doing sit-ups.

I also cut back on eating, though I still occasionally have those fat days. Overall, though, running has been the primary component of my lifestyle change.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2011, 11:15:21 PM »
Honestly, I think running has helped the most. When I decided to start working out, running was what I started with, and I immediately began to see results. I later picked up lifting some weights (nothing excessive, just for my arms) and doing sit-ups.

I also cut back on eating, though I still occasionally have those fat days. Overall, though, running has been the primary component of my lifestyle change.
You know, I understand the importance of running and all but I just never really thought of it as something that could make such a major impact. Interesting.

Another thing I'm wondering is what kind of altered diet did you switch to? I really need to start switching to a much...less fatal diet sometime in the near future.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Tripp

• "Just because I OD'ed doesn't mean I do drugs"
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2011, 11:20:47 PM »
That's some pretty epic progress, Zander. I say to myself every summer: start working out, lift some weights, eat better, etc. Never happens, but I hope for that to change this time around. My main issue is drinking a gigaton of soda - since I have a closet full of it (ha..ha.hahah....)

Let's hope I can change my mindset this summer, and beyond. :)
hi

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2011, 11:27:58 PM »
You know, I understand the importance of running and all but I just never really thought of it as something that could make such a major impact. Interesting.

Another thing I'm wondering is what kind of altered diet did you switch to? I really need to start switching to a much...less fatal diet sometime in the near future.
Oh, it really can. Even running for just 5-10 minutes a day burns a pretty decent amount of calories. You'd be surprised.

Diet-wise, I didn't make any massive revolutions, but I started eating more fruit and just cutting down on my intake.

That's some pretty epic progress, Zander. I say to myself every summer: start working out, lift some weights, eat better, etc. Never happens, but I hope for that to change this time around. My main issue is drinking a gigaton of soda - since I have a closet full of it (ha..ha.hahah....)

Let's hope I can change my mindset this summer, and beyond. :)
Thanks. Yeah you might wanna stop being a closet drinker (YEEEEEAAAAH) You can still drink soda, but try to, like, y'know, not drink that much at a time. I still drink soda, but only diet soda.

I know it sounds incredibly cliche, but just making one change at a time can create a significant impact :)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 12:04:44 AM by Ravenheart »

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2011, 12:05:11 AM »
I have a weight loss failure story: I lost 50 lbs., then gained it all back.  Just started working it back down a couple weeks ago.

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2011, 12:55:42 AM »
I lost like 20lbs in the past month too.
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2011, 03:48:58 AM »
Jen, that is insanely impressive. Your husband's guns could take down the great wall of China.  :eek

Also, I'm usually really insecure about what I used to look like, but if everyone else has the balls to show their before-and-after pictures, I figured I might as well swallow my pride:

Wow, you look great! That is fantastic! Though I daresay your hair is becoming epic. :p

(re: my husband -- the best part is how overprotective he is of me. He despises it when I become upset over things and takes great joy in dealing with situations that create chaos and/or drama for me (when I let him). I haven't let him deal with anything lately because normally I like to take care of my own situations, but lemme tell ya it's quite satisfying to let him loose on someone who just gave me a hard time or otherwise caused me trouble :lol :D )

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2011, 07:08:37 AM »
I've lost a total of about 25-30kg (60 pounds) over the last 2 or so years.  Now that I've totally changed my diet for the better and my workout routines have increased more, I feel I am getting fitter and healthier everyday.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2011, 07:20:42 AM »
I've lost a total of about 25-30kg (60 pounds) over the last 2 or so years.  Now that I've totally changed my diet for the better and my workout routines have increased more, I feel I am getting fitter and healthier everyday.

And more productive?

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2011, 07:54:00 AM »
like a pig

in a cage

on antibiotics
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 08:47:34 AM by TheVoxyn »

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2011, 08:04:20 AM »
Not any kind of extraordinary story behind, but basically I decreased/controlled my calorie intake drastically, and ran every day for about 45 mins to an hour, and lost about 50 lbs in a year. Used to be roughly 190-200 lbs. and now I hover in the 150s.
How tall are you?
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline mizzl

• DTF.org Member
  • I have officialy been ravenhearted. Thanks Zydar!
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2011, 08:25:59 AM »

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2011, 02:55:46 PM »
No pictures, but I've lost about 20 lbs with a goal of 50. I'm 44 and have been bulking up steadily since I graduated in 1985 but gained a lot of fat as well due to my wife's extraordinary cooking. Also doing mostly cardio and light lifting now that ego lifts are a thing of the past since hurting my shoulder in 2009.

Kosmo

« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2011, 02:59:03 PM »
Then there's people like me who need to gain weight..I mean i'm not in a dangerous state, not at all but i just can't get weight by any means and i do need some meat on the bones.