Author Topic: Tolkien's other books  (Read 18406 times)

Offline Jarlaxle

Re: Tolkien's other books
« Reply #140 on: November 30, 2016, 10:46:04 PM »
Read this. This should be something we both jump on.

https://www.tor.com/submissions-guidelines/#Novella-Submissions-Guidelines

Interesting. I have a culture inspired by the Mongolian Empire, which would fit the parameters they are looking for. I'd have to hammer out a story and Polish it in a little over a month....seems like a good challenge to set for myself.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #141 on: November 30, 2016, 11:56:00 PM »
My friend used to run her own publishing company, but it was eventually shut down after she got heavily involved with her political career. It was for fantasy, supernatural, and the like. She kept telling me when I had a couple of chapters, she would hand them over to someone to read. I passed up a good chance with that.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #142 on: December 01, 2016, 12:41:03 AM »
I've never submitted anything, mostly because I tend to leave things unfinished. I had written a story over 4-5 years, had about 180 000 words, and then scrapped it because it was crap.  :lol  I had started the story when I was in grade 9 I believe, at which point I was infatuated with the author RA Salvatore, and tried my best to emulate his style. 5 years later my tastes had changed, oddly enough coinciding with the discovery of A Song of Ice and Fire (imagine that), and when I started to change the story to suit a more realistic approach I found that it had no substance. I have my main work in progress, and three or four other stories that I work on as well. I wish I could focus on one thing at a time, perhaps challenging myself to write something with a deadline will help.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #143 on: December 01, 2016, 12:52:52 AM »
Did you save any of that 180,000 word project? I'm sure you can salvage a good amount of that and just massage it a bit.

Sticking to one thing has always been my problem. I've gone back and forth with the fantasy project so many times. Then I was writing a fairytale based on Snow White. I have a bit of an obsession with Snow White. Then I was doing the same thing with Alice in Wonderland. Then I was writing some totally raunchy and immoral book, which was part autobiographical, called Dissolute. I still have a few of the stories from it. A couple of them I posted in the Writer's Thread here. I'm all over the place with my ideas.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #144 on: December 01, 2016, 02:27:58 AM »
Then I was writing some totally raunchy and immoral book, which was part autobiographical

Just had to give you a  :lol for that bit alone..

I'm no writer, but it fascinates me how anyone can take the time and effort to plan out and create a fictional world like that. Good on yous.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #145 on: December 01, 2016, 02:35:35 AM »
This is the only edited and polished story I have right now. It's going to be published in a horror fiction anthology. The same woman asked me to write something for a H.P. Lovecraft  tribute she is putting together. This story is only a couple of thousand words. I actually cut it in half because I started to ramble. :lol

Still Life

Outside the autumn rain falls. The heavy downpour of water against the windows create a raucous so intense it echoes throughout the household, bouncing off walls and disturbing the serenity of mourners. Clouds hide the sun reflecting bleak gray shadows on the landscape. The grass no longer green; the flowers no longer spattered with colors of the rainbow. There are low hums coming from the cemetery down the street. Each corpse singing its melodic dirge. Their dreams lost forever inside a somber wall of immortal despair. There is no returning from this ultimate endeavor.
Across the street from the cemetery, a park filled with children betrays the scene. Their voices sing in a cheery tone as they splash their feet through the cool puddles. These songs of elation counterpoint the morbidity of this moment for inside the house a grievous loss is being remembered. Inside there are solemn whispers throughout the rooms. Tears are choked back and loss bears down on the shoulders of all.

She paces back and forth uneasily, unsettled by the somber events of the last twenty-four hours. Black roses adorn her hair while the scent of cloves follow her footsteps. She reads the sorrow on the faces around her and looks upon them with great despair. Everyone of them is dealing with their suffering in their own special way. Some hide behind a tear-soaked tissue, while others smile and tell light-hearted jokes to help the mood. There are some whose faces are still stricken with shock as if the weight of this tragedy still hasn’t hit their nerves. They can’t understand what happened and why this ever-changing world continues to devour its youth. She walks up to each one of them and puts her hand on their shoulders knowingly, but they barely seem to notice. She wants to help them, her family and friends, through this dark time, but for the moment it seems futile. A feeling of uselessness overwhelms her.

She decides to escape for a while and heads up to her bedroom. In there she always finds the solace she needs. Everything is familiar, and no matter where she looks it reflects her. She walks over to her record collection, which is meticulously alphabetized. They are all still there – from AC/DC to Frank Zappa – or in her case, Zappa, Frank. Who listens to albums anymore, let alone continues to buy them? “They’re making a comeback,” she would tell people. She takes one out to listen to, walks over to the turntable, and lowers the record gently into place. There is no sound as she flips the switch. All she hears is the light sound of uneven scratches from a thirty year old album. It’s that immortal silence that creates a deafening in her mind. It’s nothing but a grave reminder of all that has come to pass. She will get through this and everything will return to normal – or whatever normal is for a girl like her.

She walks over to the bed and falls onto it as lightly and gracefully as a feather making its journey from the heavens. The sheets have the scent of fresh cotton just like she always remembered. She closes her eyes to take in more of the moment, but her life flashes before her. Each scene is surrounded by grays and blacks. The shadows intensify and the sliver of light eventually disappears as she fades into a dream.

As she makes her way through the golden trees in the Forest of Souls, their shimmering leaves more beautiful than anything she has ever seen, the souls cry out to her. Their decaying hands try grabbing onto her, trying to pull her into their grasp, but she resists. Some of them are too strong for her but she fights her way free. She’s not ready to go down there with them again. Their cries become cacophonous and loud and it’s too much for her. She starts clawing at her ears hoping to get rid of the sounds but it gets louder. Blood from her ears drip down her cheek. She wipes it away as she tries to look for a way out.

The trodden path is within her sight, the one leading her through the Forest of Whispers. It’s marked on either side by marshmallow flowers and blue dandelion freckles. She remembers this place from her previous dreams - this recurring visit to her own Wonderland. The trees whisper in cantillating verses, a song she remembers from her youth. The birds harmonize and seem to smile at her as she passes. She looks down and sees her gown is a flowing ocean of burgundy silk, the wind blowing the layers of material like waves on a harsh sea. The dress was a new twist, but one she pleasantly welcomed. The East and West Sun illuminate her path. Their radiance glistens against the chartreuse sky. Translucent clouds with silver water bubbles seem to bounce along their way. The curious calladilly again teases her to try and pop the bubble clouds. She finds a rock on the side of the path and takes aim. The rock bounces off the bottom of the cloud and heads back towards her. She ducks just in time but loses her balance much to the delight of the hidden gnomes. Their rhythmic snickers are far too humorous for her to become angered.

As she makes her way to the edge of Forest of Whispers, the wolf bars the exit. He stands on his hind legs as she approaches, waving her down to stop. He pulls a top hat out of the invisible pocket of his fur and positions it perfectly atop his snow white fur. Every time she attempts to leave, he stands before her, always asking the same question. When she simply responds, “I don’t know,” he nods and stands aside. She turns around  to give her customary wave, but he isn’t there anymore. All she sees is the flowing golden leaves losing their luster, turning to black, and crumbling like ash to the once brilliant floor. She sheds a tear and wonders if this has some significance back in her world.

Off in the distance she sees a glowing door. Her feet lead her in that direction, but it seems like she isn’t getting any closer. She tries to run, but her shoes weigh her down, almost like she’s wading into quicksand. The door calls out to her. The pounding from the other side entices her. Is someone there waiting to come through to her side or are they trying to gain her attention? The knocking gets louder and louder as she fights her way out of the sinking floor. The heavy shoes fall off and barefoot makes her way to the door. She hears it vibrating as she approaches it. The humming seems to be coming from the other side. It reminds her of the low hum of the cemetery. As she grasps the doorknob it sends a jolt of electricity throughout her body, but she doesn’t let go. Her body shivers as if she has just felt an intense release. She manages to pull it open. Before her there is nothing. Across a great empty plain of white she sees nothing at all. Off the distance, she hears a voice whisper, “no”. The door slams and she wakes up in her bed.

She thinks back to when everything changed. At first, when she moved here, she was the typical new girl, but quickly became the most popular girl in school. She became lead cheerleader of the Pom Pom Squad. Her grades were always the best in the class and everyone was voting for her to be prom queen. Even the most popular girls in the school took a strong liking to her. There was some aura about her that endeared everyone to her. This kindred feeling amongst her peers couldn’t last forever though.  Daddy’s perfect little girl was about to become the town’s worst nightmare.
After she met Emily, everything changed. Emily was know as the town goth girl. It seems that every small town has that one person who sticks out. She was always in detention at school. She indulged in drinking and getting high. They ran into each other one night after a particularly long day at school. To add to the desolation that surrounded the events of the day, she was stuck waiting for the bus in the middle of a torrential rain. Emily offered her a ride much to her surprise. Even though she felt like Emily had some alterior motive, which would eventually come to fruition, she still accepted this unusual display of altruism. It seemed Emily possessed this same magnetic aura that she seemed to have with others. This one supposedly chance meeting started her on a downward spiral.

She felt like she never had before, though. She realized her life had been a bore up until now. Doing things by the book was no way to experience life. Her grades started to slip. She would steal her father’s liquor and raid his weed stash. She and Emily would hide out in the cemetery down the street. It was peaceful, and everyone was too scared to look for them there. As she spent more and more of her time hanging out with Emily, she started coming home past curfew. It became so severe that her parents resorted to locking her out, so she would head down the street and sleep in one of the mausoleums in the cemetery. It was the perfect shield against the rain, and if the night was cool, she would grab some nearby twigs and leaves and burn them until she fell asleep.
It was with Emily that she learned how to cut. She used the blades Emily stole from her father. At first they would make little nicks on their skin just to see themselves bleed. It wasn’t enough though. The sight of blood became such an intensity for her, so she cut a little deeper hoping to heighten the experience. She would watch the blood stream down her arm and then drip to the floor. Sometimes they would taste their own blood and other times they would taste each other’s. There was something enlightening and endearing about it that it seemed to seal their friendship. This new hobby of theirs is what caused Emily’s accident.

It brought tears to her eyes as she lay there alone, wrapped in her memories, enveloped by her fears of her empty future without her best friend. She went into her closet and grabbed her Cradle of Filth long-sleeve. It didn’t matter how warm it was outside. It was her look and people just had to accept it. She didn’t want to return to her family downstairs. They acted like she wasn’t even there, so she ran downstairs and headed out the front door to the only place that gave her some sort of sanity. Down the street she followed the hums of the dead. She knew she could hide out there for a while and then head home to face her parents again. As she walked through the cemetery, reading the beautiful poetry on the headstones, she knew exactly which words should go on Emily’s. As she whispered them to herself, the tears returned. It was the poem that Emily read to her the first night they kissed. She ran to the headstone to see if there enough space for the epitaph. A bolt of lightning found it’s way to the earth, burning the leaves surrounding her grave, and sending her body flying back. As she fell to the ground, her head landed on a stone. Memories came crashing back. She remembered seeing the blood pouring down her arm. The taste at first filled her with lust and sensuality, but she remembered feeling nauseous after drinking too much. She looked back at the headstone and let out a scream so loud the ground seemed to shake under her.

Emily Morris
b. March 24, 1996
d. March 24, 2013

As she sat there in a state of shock, she heard people approaching the cemetery.  She saw the  crowd all dressed in black making their way inside. In front were her parents, holding a picture of her with tears in their eyes as they came to say their last goodbye to their daughter.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #146 on: December 01, 2016, 12:29:19 PM »
Good effort! Pretty dark stuff - is that your usual style?

BTW You mention Forest of Souls once and then Forest of Whispers twice. Maybe a wee inconsistency? (Not trying to poke holes - just something I noticed  :))

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #147 on: December 02, 2016, 03:00:12 PM »
I like it, Prog, well done!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #148 on: December 03, 2016, 08:17:12 PM »
Good effort! Pretty dark stuff - is that your usual style?

BTW You mention Forest of Souls once and then Forest of Whispers twice. Maybe a wee inconsistency? (Not trying to poke holes - just something I noticed  :))

Yeah, I can't believe I missed that. Maybe the editor caught it. I'll ask her.

I tend to have a darker imagination, so yes. You should see what I did to poor Prince Charming in my Snow White based story.  :xbones

I like it, Prog, well done!

Thank you, sir. I try.  ;)

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #149 on: December 03, 2016, 10:08:28 PM »
Tldr

I tried reading the simarillion after reading the hobbit and lotr. Nope.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #150 on: December 03, 2016, 11:48:38 PM »
:lol A lot of people struggle with it.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #151 on: December 04, 2016, 07:02:40 PM »
John, I never asked you this: what's your opinion of what Peter Jackson pulled with Gandalf's staff(s) in the films?
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #152 on: December 04, 2016, 07:43:38 PM »
How many times have you guys read through Tolkien's works to gain such a near-encyclopedic knowledge on it? It is fascinating to me how people can do that. Granted, this is just my second ever read through, but other than the main events and such, the majority of it just kind of passes through me. Did you guys study it like a textbook? It's something I would love to do, because while only a few chapters into it, I have a much larger appreciation for it than I ever remember having. When I was younger it was more "read things fast to say you've read them," but now I'm making a concerted effort to understand what I am reading.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #153 on: December 04, 2016, 07:45:39 PM »
Couldn't tell you how many times I've read through things, but I find I retain a lot of info about things I enjoy. There are also resources online that can supplement the texts, but for me, it's a subject and topic I thoroughly enjoy, so I tend to absorb it well.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #154 on: December 04, 2016, 07:48:29 PM »
Couldn't tell you how many times I've read through things, but I find I retain a lot of info about things I enjoy. There are also resources online that can supplement the texts, but for me, it's a subject and topic I thoroughly enjoy, so I tend to absorb it well.

What would these be?

I've always considered myself a "Tolkien fan," but it is clear to me how woefully insufficient my knowledge is. I've asked for the first few History of Middle Earth volumes for Christmas, I really hope I get them because I can't afford to buy them right now (returning to University in January).

I am going to post a section of my writing in the Writer's thread. I would really appreciate a few of you giving me some honest feedback on it, no matter how harsh it is. I've never had an unbiased opinion of my writing before.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 08:00:02 PM by Jarlaxle »

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #155 on: December 04, 2016, 07:58:45 PM »
lotr.wikia.com is a good one, along with https://www.glyphweb.com/arda/

Plus the appendices to LotR and the vast indices and charts that accompany the Silmarillion are invaluable and incredibly informative.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #156 on: December 04, 2016, 08:10:13 PM »
lotr.wikia.com is a good one, along with https://www.glyphweb.com/arda/

Plus the appendices to LotR and the vast indices and charts that accompany the Silmarillion are invaluable and incredibly informative.

Thanks! I'll make sure to have those on hand while reading.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #157 on: December 05, 2016, 04:18:16 AM »
This is my 4th time through LOTR. I've read the Hobbit 3 times and the Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales once. TBH The Silmarillion/Unfinished tales is probably my limit - anything beyond that is too much in the scholarly direction for me. I'll start on Tales From The Perilous Realm after I finish LOTR (I'm a slow reader  :))

I'd be out of my depth posting there, but I've enjoyed reading some of the discussions on the message boards at theonering.net: https://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi

There's plenty there for anyone wanting to dig into the details a lot more.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #158 on: December 08, 2016, 10:02:11 PM »
Do you think anyone who runs the Tolkien estate in the future will allow others to write more in Tolkien's universe? I'm not sure if Christopher is a good writer or not, but it would have been cool to see him try his hand at creating something. I know they won't want to do it, so as not to tarnish what JRR created, but I would love it if whoever came after Christopher was a legit author his/herself, and dipped their toe in. There's so many possibilities to explore.

Who, if any, of the modern authors would you love to see given the chance to write in Tolkien's world? What would you want to see them write about?

Offline Skeever

« Reply #159 on: December 09, 2016, 05:00:26 AM »
Christopher is 92.

As for others, I hope they don't. I'd rather it just go to the public domain before that.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #160 on: December 09, 2016, 06:46:00 AM »
Honestly, I hope the estate retains its grip on everything. I'm a purist, and after the way the Hobbit films were treated, I honestly hope the lid is kept shut. I hate how things get ruined the more people fuck with remaking them, and Tolkien's work is too good for that, imo.

John, you haven't yet addressed my question:

John, I never asked you this: what's your opinion of what Peter Jackson pulled with Gandalf's staff(s) in the films?

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #161 on: December 09, 2016, 07:51:29 AM »
Honestly, I hope the estate retains its grip on everything. I'm a purist, and after the way the Hobbit films were treated, I honestly hope the lid is kept shut. I hate how things get ruined the more people fuck with remaking them, and Tolkien's work is too good for that, imo.

This pretty much sums up my view too. Leave well alone..

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #162 on: December 09, 2016, 08:35:38 AM »

Logically, I feel the same and know it to be best if they keep the lid shut, but at the same time it seems a great shame that such a big, beautiful, and believable world is just sitting there.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #163 on: December 09, 2016, 08:40:51 AM »

Logically, I feel the same and know it to be best if they keep the lid shut, but at the same time it seems a great shame that such a big, beautiful, and believable world is just sitting there.

Perhaps a shame, but I feel it would be doing it a great disservice to have someone other than Tolkien himself adding to and expanding his world. He is its lord and master, and to have anyone else, even his own family, altering/adding in any way would forever open the Pandora's Box of "but is it what J.R.R. would have intended?" etc.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #164 on: December 09, 2016, 12:52:15 PM »

John, you haven't yet addressed my question:

Oops, sorry about that. I meant to ask you to clarify that. Are you taking about how Gandalf wound up with Radagast's staff?

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #165 on: December 09, 2016, 01:12:43 PM »
Yes.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #166 on: December 09, 2016, 01:34:02 PM »
Apparently there is speculation that it meant that Radagast died in the BotFA. I don't know if that's true because we do see him on the eagles at the end of the movie. He does play a part in the LotR books also. Some say it was just a prop inconsistency, but it's very odd that Gandalf has that same staff during Fellowship of the Ring. It's possible that Peter Jackson had Gandalf intentionally use that staff at the end of The Hobbit trilogy to link it with the LotR movies.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #167 on: December 09, 2016, 01:49:40 PM »
Are you guys talking about this scene:

https://youtu.be/40oFmq1k8SE

It was maybe part of the EE, but I don't remember it. No desire to watch the extended editions, which is a shame.

Anyway, I didn't really think that wizards' staffs had any real power in and of themselves.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #168 on: December 09, 2016, 02:26:55 PM »
The staffs of the Istari were the focus of their powers...

"The wizards bore the forms of old Men; they were ancient and seemed to age very fast. They possessed great skill of body and mind; their powers were focused through their Staffs. Each of the Istari had his own colour and grade within the Order. Saruman the White was the eldest and Gandalf the Grey second. The other Istari were Radagast the Brown and the two Blue Wizards, who dwelt far in the south."

I think it was more Hollywood "nuancing" to lend more credibility to his bastardization of the story. Radagast had little to nothing to do with the Hobbit storyline, and in order to play up how outmatched Gandalf was as Dol Guldur, he had Sauron's spiritual form destroy his staff in the confrontation, but then had to have one for the rest of the story.

It is very interesting, and rather disappointing, to me how much PJ and the film crews mucked with Gandalf's staff, completely unnecessarily. In the books, Gandalf has TWO staffs: the first, made and given to him in Valinor before he is sent to Middle-earth. This is the staff he carries and uses throughout his journeys leading up to and including the Hobbit journey and the subsequent dealings Lord of the Rings, up to the point in Moria where he fights the Balrog. His staff, and body, are broken in the fight and he dies. He is reincarnated as Gandalf the White and goes to Lorien, where Galadriel creates his new white robes and staff, and that is the staff he ultimately takes with him back to the Undying Lands. Done, simple.

In the movies, Gandalf carries FOUR staffs. Chronologically:

1 - Gandalf begins the Hobbit films with HIS staff, presumably his staff from Valinor.
This staff is destroyed by Sauron in the confrontation at Dol Guldur.
2 - Somehow after his rescue from Dol Guldur, Gandalf borrows (?) Radagast's staff for the Battle of Five Armies.

After the Hobbit films close, we can only assume Gandalf returns Radagast's staff to him (it is known in Tolkien's writing that Radagast lives in Middle-earth at least til TA 3018).
So then into the LotR trilogy we go and Gandalf now has

3- Staff #3. No clue where he got this one.
This staff remains with him until he is imprisoned in Orthanc by Saruman. We see in the movie that Saruman disarms him and takes his staff before sending him to the top of the tower. We then see Gandalf escape on Gwaihir's back WITHOUT his staff. It is worth noting that nowhere in the books does Gandalf ever have his staff taken, so we can assume he escaped Orthanc with it.
We then see Gandalf again in Rivendell with RADAGAST'S staff again. It now has the jewel in it, that we see him use in Moria to shine more light on the Dwarrowdelf. How did he get this staff again? Did Radagast give it to Elrond to give to Gandalf in Rivendell to use? I really don't believe the Istari just tossed around their staffs like this.

This staff is ultimately destroyed on the Bridge of Khazad-dum in the battle with the Balrog. Then we get ...

4 - Staff #4, the white staff in his new role as Gandalf the White.

One other staff inconsistency occurs in the Extended Edition of RotK: in Minas Tirith, the deleted confrontation between the Witch-King and Gandalf ends with his staff being destroyed (in the book, a bird crows and the Rohirrim arrive, and the Witch-King flies off to handle the Battle of Pelennor Fields). Discontinuity: Gandalf has his staff at the end of the movie, at the harbor waiting to leave for the Undying Lands.

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #169 on: December 09, 2016, 03:52:36 PM »
Wow, nice analysis!  Seriously, I noticed that Gandalf had different staves at different points throughout the epic, but I knew he'd lost the one at Khazad-dum, and I thought maybe Saruman still had one or something, so I didn't really worry about it.  But now that you've pointed it all out, it bugs me.  So thanks a lot.  :angry:

:yarr

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #170 on: December 09, 2016, 04:01:04 PM »
Wow, nice analysis!  Seriously, I noticed that Gandalf had different staves at different points throughout the epic, but I knew he'd lost the one at Khazad-dum, and I thought maybe Saruman still had one or something, so I didn't really worry about it.  But now that you've pointed it all out, it bugs me.  So thanks a lot.  :angry:
:angry:

:angry:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #171 on: December 09, 2016, 04:19:06 PM »
:lol

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #172 on: December 09, 2016, 04:24:58 PM »
Well, that's a total mess. Good comparison images here:

https://www.thelandofshadow.com/there-is-can-no-longer-be-any-doubt-about-gandalf-wielding-the-staff-of-radagast/

More staves than you can shake a stick at.. (groan) :P

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #173 on: December 09, 2016, 09:31:38 PM »
It basically agrees with what Hypo said.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #174 on: December 10, 2016, 12:22:55 AM »
Nice breakdown, Andrew. It's trivial to many but when you're Peter Jackson and you claim to want to pay so much attention to detail, it's disconcerting just how many things he missed or was indifferent to.