Author Topic: Thirty Seconds To Mars  (Read 1454 times)

Offline petrucci07

Thirty Seconds To Mars
« on: May 05, 2011, 01:18:49 PM »
These guys have recently become one of my favourite bands.

For a while I think they kind of got lumped in with the "emo" crowd a few years ago, and if you're using that as an excuse to not listen to them, I implore you to RETHINK YOUR DECISION. The songwriting is seriously brilliant and to be honest, they've written some of the most epic songs I've ever heard.

I'd recommend starting with This Is War; highlights include Hurricane (dark, intense electronic track), Closer To The Edge and Vox Populi (uplifting stadium rock, but in the cool way  :hat) and Stranger In a Strange Land (ludicrously dark and epic electronic song).

Discuss.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Thirty Seconds To Mars
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 01:21:26 PM »
To me, A Beautiful Lie is perfection.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 01:22:30 PM »
I can't say that I have dived into them in depth, but what I have heard I really like. Also saw them at a festival and I swear Leto was drunk. He was climbing all over the stage scaffolding.

Offline petrucci07

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 01:23:20 PM »
To me, A Beautiful Lie is perfection.

I don't know, it's definitely awesome, but I think some songs are kinda poor (coughWasItADreamcoughModernMythcough).

What do you think of This Is War?

I can't say that I have dived into them in depth, but what I have heard I really like.

Dive in bro!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 01:26:04 PM »
Some albums at first don't click, that is what I felt like for This Is War.  It's grown on me now but I feel the same way you do about ABL with the soft songs.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline petrucci07

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 01:35:45 PM »
They've done some pretty ridiculous music videos too (See the 10-minute-plus videos to Hurricane and From Yesterday).

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 01:44:47 PM »
They've done some pretty ridiculous music videos too (See the 10-minute-plus videos to Hurricane and From Yesterday).

They remind me of the old MTV days with Micheal Jackson and David Bowie doing the same thing.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 03:06:29 AM »
Been listening to 30STM lately. What I find really interesing is how they changed musical styles.

Their S/T debut album can definitely be considered progressive. A lot of the songs don't follow typical structures. The 2 albums after the S/T are very commercial sounding and more accessible.

The songs on the S/T  have lots of texture and a sound that's very unconventional. The albums is also very heavy. I'v even heard it being compared to Tool. I can see why.

It was their second album that made the band as popular as they are. I really like all their albums. I just find it interesting how they changed their sound and style so drastically. I bet there are a lot of people who only know their really popular stuff who would be really surprised if they heard the first one. It is a very unique album.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2017, 11:04:53 PM »
I don't think I had ever heard this band before tonight, but they were Muse's special guests and played for about an hour.  They were good and the crowd was into them almost as much as they were Muse later on.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2017, 04:15:17 AM »
A Beautiful Lie is the album to check out Kev.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2017, 07:45:04 AM »
I doubt I will buy a whole album, as it sounded like music that I wouldn't listen to much, but was fun live.  It seemed like every song had the same chant for the crowd to sing along to.  :lol :lol  I will check out some stuff and probably get a handful of their mainstays to have in my mp3 collection.

Offline Awaken

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2017, 08:28:47 AM »
Agreed on the songwriting piece, though I can't seem to get into the majority of their output.  The documentary that is(or was) on Netflix was awesome though and really gave me an appreciation of them as artists.