Author Topic: In the market for a new laptop.  (Read 992 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
In the market for a new laptop.
« on: May 05, 2011, 10:01:46 AM »
Im sitting on my tax check, and as much as I'd like to get an iPad2, a new laptop would be a much better investment. I am willing to spend a grand, maybe $1100. I'd really like a Mac, but the thought of getting only 13 inches of display for that price really bothers me. I had a HP that was good until one electronic component would fail after the other, and my Toshiba was soooo bad I will never consider a machine from them again. I don't care about performance in terms of playing the greatest games, but I need something that could have many windows and media going at the same time without bogging down. I know virtually nothing about new models. I would like something physically durable, I really like how Apple uses alluminum cases, do other companies have something similar?

Offline j

Re: In the market for a new laptop.
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 10:12:02 AM »
Asus is unparalleled in my experience.  They've made great components for years, world-renowned, but I didn't know much about their laptops until fairly recently.  I have a buddy who swears by them: he has an Asus laptop that is like 10 years old and going strong.  They're relatively easy to upgrade too (as far as laptops go); he's upgraded his several times, and I've already installed a solid state drive into mine with no problems at all.

Arguably the most appealing thing is their customer service, which is prompt and helpful far beyond anything you'll get from Dell or HP, etc.

And just look at the quality of this post.  That's right: it's coming from my Asus laptop.  If you're not sold now, I don't know what to say.

-J

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 10:33:42 AM »
HP makes a pretty sleek line of notebooks that are reminiscent of macbook pros. https://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/series_can.do?storeName=computer_store&landing=notebooks&a1=Category&v1=ENVY

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 12:18:27 PM »
If durability is a concern, then you need to look at Thinkpads. 

Also, consider buying a used one.  You'll be replacing it long before it breaks down on you, and you'll be able to get a much better bang for your buck. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson