Author Topic: [Music] Blackfield - Welcome to My DNA  (Read 3289 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
[Music] Blackfield - Welcome to My DNA
« on: April 28, 2011, 12:32:22 PM »
Band: Blackfield
Album: Welcome to My DNA
Year: 2011
Genre: Progressive Rock
Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Welcome-My-DNA-Blackfield/dp/B004MLZWRO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1304016201&sr=8-4

When Blackfield, the collaboration between Porcupine Tree mastermind Steven Wilson and Israeli songwriter Aviv Geffin first hit the market in 2004, many people saw it as a step back for Wilson. Idolized by many as a guitarist, vocalist, song-writer, producer, engineer and mixer Wilson now has dozens of extremely complex and intricate compositions under his belt from a multitude of projects. With Blackfield however there was a distinct focus on simplicity. The insane patterns of Gavin Harrison were nowhere to be found, and it wouldn’t take a music major to dissect the various layers in the song found on Blackfield I and II. Welcome to My DNA is, simply put, simplicity redefined.

While generally simple, the songs from the first two Blackfield albums did not lack in the department of rock and bombastics. Tracks like “Cloudy Now” and “Christenings” packed a decent punch, and perhaps that made the albums easier to swallow for fans not used to songs so close to the pop label. You’ll struggle to find much on Welcome to My DNA with that kind of up front intensity. Though there are definite moments of groove there is certainly nothing that approaches the term heavy, and instead the album holds a great deal of focus on atmosphere. Songs like “Glass House” and “Rising of the Tide” at the beginning of the album do a good job of showcasing what the album will be and how well Aviv and Wilson can nail a new sound right out of the gait. Unfortunately those two songs are separated by a distinct counterpoint, the song “Go to Hell”. Though the song has a few strong melodies the song screams art for art’s sake and is a prime example of just trying too hard. I’d say that “Here Comes the Blood” also suffers from this, but frankly I just find it to be a better song musically, and it is also the one song on the album that approaches rock, making it a nice contrasting piece in the middle of the album.

Even the acoustic guitars on “Waving” and “Far Away” are played with a casual and laid back feel that simply flows with the rest of the music. I can understand how a wide range of people might dislike this Blackfield album as many people like part’s and instruments to stand out, and while I enjoy that at times it’s very nice to have an album where the instruments come together with one another to simply perfect the songs. Perhaps this is best demonstrated in the album’s final and title track, “DNA”. Two very simple acoustic guitar parts and haunting vocals kick off the track and intriguing lyrics carry the song forward as drums and orchestration enters the picture. By the end this final song ends up being the album’s most beautiful piece, and my personal favorite.

Wilson and Aviv both give rather fitting vocal performances for the album, and though I prefer Wilson’s voice by a good margin it’s nice to hear the diversity between the two in the course of the album. That said the vocals are easily overshadowed by the two shining stars of this album, the keyboards and orchestral arrangements. Anyone who needs proof of this need to look no further than tracks like “Dissolving With the Night” and “Oxygen” on which the atmospheres are created with such efficiency one can only compliment Wilson and Geffin on their abilities to strip music back to such an emotional and beautiful core.

Nick's Rating: 9.5/10
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 12:43:34 PM by Nick »
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: [Music] Blackfield - Welcome to My DNA
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 02:38:17 PM »
Fantastic album.
Blackfield doing what they do best, and I really like it.

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 03:23:18 PM »
Whoa.  Surprising review.  I didn't expect anybody to rate it that high.  You knocked some of my favorite songs and praised some of my least favorites.  Very strange.

I liked the album.  It was decent--disappointing for a band as good as Blackfield is, but decent nonetheless. But I wouldn't have given it higher than a 6/10.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 02:08:34 AM »
I would rate it very high myself, so I would be more surprised if it got a low score. :P

Offline Banny

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 08:28:28 AM »
I would rate it very high myself, so I would be more surprised if it got a low score. :P

Agreed.
This album blew me away from the first lesson. The songwriting is very focused, the arrangements are flawless, and the performances are beautiful. It deserves it's 9.5/10. To me, maybe that's even a little low.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 11:39:10 AM »
DNA for me was an album that blew me away the first time I heard it, but as I listened more and more, its amazingness didn't stay with me as much as the others. I'd probably rank it 3rd or 2nd, with II staying the best one.

It's still phenomenal though, and I can't wait to see songs from it performed live.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline FretMuppet

• DAIM that looks good!
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 12:35:34 PM »
I love how mellow it is, and I'd rank it quite high too, but it seems it can't be easily compared to I and II since the sound and production make it sound completely different. It sounds more poppy, and it has some amazing melodies scattered on each song nicely.

So yeah, its an absolutely great album, can't wait to hear what will come out of their creativity in the future  :tup