Author Topic: Buying a piano  (Read 3274 times)

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
Buying a piano
« on: May 03, 2011, 10:42:16 PM »
So my parents informed me that they want to buy a piano (yeah, an acoustic one) for the house for me to use. I know very little about pianos besides the shapes and sizes...Obviously, I'd be looking for an vertical model... I'm guessing the "console" size. Does anybody know about brands, price ranges, anything like that? It doesn't need to be a fancy-pants Steinway or anything but it can't be crap either, you know?

Also wondering if it would be more worth it to just splurge on a high-end workstation...

Any advice, ideas, etc would be helpful.

Offline In The Name Of Rudess

Re: Buying a piano
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 02:09:14 AM »
It all depends on the price. Usually, the more expensive the piano, the better it is. I'll list the best brands for each price range:

$1,000 - $7,000 : Yamaha
$9,000 - $15,000 : Bohemia
$15,000 - $25,000 : August Forster

Anything under $1,000 is probably going to be a piece of crap. Yamaha pianos are very good quality for the price. Just because they're in the cheapest class doesn't mean they're bad in any way. The Bohemia and A.F. are a lot better though, but they're quite expensive. I haven't listed anything above $25,000, because then you'd be better off going for a grand piano. Before you buy anything, play it.

An acoustic piano is always better than a workstation. There is no digital piano under $15,000 which can successfully recreate the touch and sound of an acoustic piano.

A few more things: if you're going to buy a second-hand piano, make sure you bring along someone who knows a lot about pianos to play it before you buy anything. You should check the soundboard for cracks, and try all the keys to see if any of the hammers get stuck. Also, is there a professional piano tuner in your area? You should also watch out for fluctuating humidity in the room you're planning to put the piano in. Buying an adjustable piano bench is necessary.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 10:36:33 AM »
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it! And I know there's no comparing with the real thing when it comes to pianos and workstations, there's just a chance I may be moving out in a year or so and I don't want to be keyboardless.

Offline jsem

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 12:31:56 PM »
No keyboard can ever replicate the feel of an acoustic piano.  :tup :tup :tup

My family owns a Yamaha, it's great.

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 12:29:50 AM »
Get yourself a Bosendorfer imperial grand. They are reasonably priced, too.  ;)

Kosmo

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 09:07:20 AM »
No keyboard can ever replicate the feel of an acoustic piano.  :tup :tup :tup

My family owns a Yamaha, it's great.
This is true.

Offline kirbywelch92

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 08:57:21 PM »
I definitely agree, but you could get a phenomenal MIDI keyboard with software like Pro Tools or Logic and get some amazing sounds for a fifth of the price. If you were the homeowner and you were going to be playing it all the time, I'd say go acoustic. But if you're going to move out than that just seems like a waste of money to me.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 10:12:18 AM »
The Nord Piano 88 seems like the most bang for my buck. It's gotten nothing but rave reviews. Don't wanna do the MIDI thing, I'd like something standalone.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/NordPiano88

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 12:45:36 AM »
^Beware that the weighted keys on Nord pianos aren't very good compared to the keys on Roland and Yamaha models. I recently bought myself a digital piano in addition to my acoustic, and compared to acoustic pianos the touch and keyweight of the Roland and Yamaha were miles ahead of the Nord.

Offline kirbywelch92

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2011, 12:45:55 AM »
I honestly couldn't tell you what to get, but I do know that most keyboards have MIDI out anyway (really, any keyboard that doesn't is a waste of money, even bottom-of-the-line Casio's have it). I definitely think you should get something stand alone, but having a PC with some tracking software that's LOADED with sounds is a fantastic tool, and an advantage that makes the keyboard a far superior instrument to say guitar or something else.

Offline jeebustrain

• King of Disappointment
  • EZBoard Elder
  • suck it
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 08:08:35 AM »
if you're looking for an acoustic piano, I'd look at Craigslist first (obviously only for USA folks)... In my area, there are tons of old ladies and such selling perfectly good pianos (some may just need tuning) at very reasonable prices. Hell, there are some people that will basically give you their piano if you just come and pick it up. That's how my dad got a piano when I was a kid - He picked it up, dropped it off at a repair shop to get tuned and tweaked and then brought it back to the house.

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 10:32:42 AM »
if you're looking for an acoustic piano, I'd look at Craigslist first (obviously only for USA folks)... In my area, there are tons of old ladies and such selling perfectly good pianos (some may just need tuning) at very reasonable prices. Hell, there are some people that will basically give you their piano if you just come and pick it up. That's how my dad got a piano when I was a kid - He picked it up, dropped it off at a repair shop to get tuned and tweaked and then brought it back to the house.

This.  Look through the classifieds in your local newspaper as well.  There are always people giving away pianos because they just want them gone.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline 2Timer

• The only DT fan who plays country music!
  • Don't turn your back on parrot eyes
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2011, 02:31:07 PM »

There is no digital piano under $15,000 which can successfully recreate the touch and sound of an acoustic piano.

I am God when it goes to hell
When it turns out good I'm not to blame

Offline 2Timer

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2011, 02:36:13 PM »

There is no digital piano under $15,000 which can successfully recreate the touch and sound of an acoustic piano.

Did you really mean 15 thousand? I really think the Yamaha Motif XF has a great feel, and the piano sound is amazing, and it's $3500.

While I think it would be sort of cool to have an acoustic, I'd go digital; they don't go out of tune, they're much lighter, and the weather won't mess them up.
On the other hand, you can get a used upright for next to nothing, or sometimes literally nothing, provided you go take it out of the owner's house. It's my experience in the area where I live that once in a while people just want to get rid of their big old pianos so badly that they'll just give it away to someone who's willing to carry it out.
If not, I'd say $1500 to $2000 should get you something half-decent.

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2011, 02:08:20 AM »

Did you really mean 15 thousand? I really think the Yamaha Motif XF has a great feel, and the piano sound is amazing, and it's $3500.

While I think it would be sort of cool to have an acoustic, I'd go digital; they don't go out of tune, they're much lighter, and the weather won't mess them up.
On the other hand, you can get a used upright for next to nothing, or sometimes literally nothing, provided you go take it out of the owner's house. It's my experience in the area where I live that once in a while people just want to get rid of their big old pianos so badly that they'll just give it away to someone who's willing to carry it out.
If not, I'd say $1500 to $2000 should get you something half-decent.

Yeah, 15 thousand. The only digital piano I've ever played that comes close to an acoustic is the Yamaha AvantGrand.

If you think the Motif XF has a great feel, I doubt you've ever played a well set-up acoustic piano. Any digital piano under 5,000 dollars feels like a toy compared to a real acoustic. The sound can be pretty good sometimes, but the touch and feel of the keys is nothing like an acoustic. They're just not good for your technique.

Offline 2Timer

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2011, 02:38:09 PM »
Wow...in that case, I never want to try a well set-up piano. If it's that much better it would spoil me, and I'd never be able to afford one. I've been playing for over 30 years, but I learned on a Kimball console, and right before I quit taking lessons my teacher bought a Steinway baby grand that cost $16,000 back in 1986. Since then, all I've owned is the Roland RD series. I had a 500, now I have a 700. It's all I can afford, so it's all I've ever really looked at. I had no idea you could even buy a digital for $15,000 or more. I'd love to try one, but it would probably just ruin the one I can afford.

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2011, 01:32:00 AM »
Wow...in that case, I never want to try a well set-up piano. If it's that much better it would spoil me, and I'd never be able to afford one.

That's always a problem for most pianists. I once had the chance to play a $150 grand Steinway concert grand for a week. Needless to say, my own piano didn't seem so good anymore after that.

I should've just stolen it  ;D.

Offline Tiko

• Keyboardist for The Storyline
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2011, 04:38:49 AM »
You want to try as many pianos as you can. There are pianos that will give you "the" feeling... And the only way to find the right one is to play different pianos!

- Tiko

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2011, 08:13:58 PM »
...so now I'm back looking at acoustic pianos, this time on Craigslist. Does anyone have advice with used pianos? I can't exactly call all these sellers up and go play their instruments to see which one I like best. How old is too old? 

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2011, 09:51:50 PM »
If you think the Motif XF has a great feel, I doubt you've ever played a well set-up acoustic piano. Any digital piano under 5,000 dollars feels like a toy compared to a real acoustic. The sound can be pretty good sometimes, but the touch and feel of the keys is nothing like an acoustic. They're just not good for your technique.

Most people are not trying to become concert pianists, they just want a piano to play.

I've played a Motif XF, and for an electronic, it does have a great sound and feel.  I've also played a Steinway and a Bosendorfer, but you know what?  They sounded great, felt great, were amazing, and since I'm never going to own one and will never play one in concert, it doesn't matter a damned bit.  There's no point in comparing everything to a $150,000 piano, because nothing's gonna stack up anyway.  Might as well be realistic and offer some practical advice.  He's looking on Craigslist for a used upright.  If an XF or even a Clavinova is available as an option, don't write it off because it doesn't compare to a fucking Steinway.  Nothing does.

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2011, 11:57:47 PM »

Most people are not trying to become concert pianists, they just want a piano to play.

I've played a Motif XF, and for an electronic, it does have a great sound and feel.  I've also played a Steinway and a Bosendorfer, but you know what?  They sounded great, felt great, were amazing, and since I'm never going to own one and will never play one in concert, it doesn't matter a damned bit.  There's no point in comparing everything to a $150,000 piano, because nothing's gonna stack up anyway.  Might as well be realistic and offer some practical advice.  He's looking on Craigslist for a used upright.  If an XF or even a Clavinova is available as an option, don't write it off because it doesn't compare to a fucking Steinway.  Nothing does.

Look at this:

I was just trying to explain how a Yamaha Motif XF can't compare to an acoustic. No need to get so defensive over nothing.

Might as well be realistic and offer some practical advice. 

I did that in my first post in this thread, as you may have noticed.

it doesn't matter a damned bit.  There's no point in comparing everything to a $150,000 piano, because nothing's gonna stack up anyway.

Great, 'cause I didn't compare anything to a $150,000 piano. I just said I played it once for a week, nothing more.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2011, 08:16:42 AM »
You're being condescending.  It's great that you're fortunate enough to have some talent and the opportunity to hone it, but statements like "If you think the Motif XF has a great feel, I doubt you've ever played a well set-up acoustic piano" and "Any digital piano under 5,000 dollars feels like a toy compared to a real acoustic" are nothing more than erudition.  You sound like someone who's so used to drinking $500 bottles of wine that he can no longer just enjoy a whiskey with his friends, which is understandable, but also has no problem telling his friends that what they're drinking tastes like piss, and that is just plain arrogance.

I'm sure you believe it to be true, but there's no reason to slam on things that are just fine for most people.  Why is $5000 the magic cutoff point?  At $3500, the XF apparently doesn't make the cut, but I've played one, and it was fine.  It didn't feel like a toy; it felt like a piano, and it served the gig, which in the end is all that matters.  It does compare to an acoustic.  It comes up short, but it was most definitely a fine substitute.

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2011, 08:46:11 AM »
You're being condescending.  It's great that you're fortunate enough to have some talent and the opportunity to hone it, but statements like "If you think the Motif XF has a great feel, I doubt you've ever played a well set-up acoustic piano" and "Any digital piano under 5,000 dollars feels like a toy compared to a real acoustic" are nothing more than erudition.  You sound like someone who's so used to drinking $500 bottles of wine that he can no longer just enjoy a whiskey with his friends, which is understandable, but also has no problem telling his friends that what they're drinking tastes like piss, and that is just plain arrogance.

I'm sure you believe it to be true, but there's no reason to slam on things that are just fine for most people.  Why is $5000 the magic cutoff point?  At $3500, the XF apparently doesn't make the cut, but I've played one, and it was fine.  It didn't feel like a toy; it felt like a piano, and it served the gig, which in the end is all that matters.  It does compare to an acoustic.  It comes up short, but it was most definitely a fine substitute.

All right. I didn't mean to come across that way. English isn't my first language, so it can be difficult for me to judge the emotional intensity of words and expressions when compared to my native language. To take your example, by the expression "it feels like a toy compared to" I just meant that the keys felt kind of plasticky, not that the quality of the whole digital piano was similar to that of a Fisher Price keyboard, which I think is how you interpreted it.  ;)

I took the $5,000 dollar point because the Roland V-Piano starts at around that price, which has PHA-III pressure points and ivory-feel keys. So the keys feel like that of a grand.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2011, 11:04:43 AM »
I'm sorry, I forget that English isn't your first language.  Your command of English sentence structure and spelling are very good and make it easy for others to forget.  It was indeed the intensity of your statements, not the content itself, that seemed arrogant and condescending to me.

And I may be oversensitive to it as well, as I've been playing since I was 10 years old and still get asked sometimes why I'm "wasting my time" playing rock and roll when I could be a concert pianist (by people who clearly don't understand what that takes).  I had to accept the fact a long time ago that I'll never be a concert pianist and I'm fine playing rock and roll because I just like to play music, but there's probably a little jealousy involved.

Offline 2Timer

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2011, 02:47:50 PM »
I'm the one that 'I doubt you've ever played a well set-up piano' was aimed at, and just for the record, I took absolutely no offense to it; in fact, he's right, I haven't! I'm no less of a player for it, but I understood the point he was trying to make.
And I've been wanting to try the v-piano. Do they make a stage model, or are they all home models?

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2011, 06:34:00 PM »
I'm glad you have resolved your differences.

Now, does anyone have anything to say about this? :D

...so now I'm back looking at acoustic pianos, this time on Craigslist. Does anyone have advice with used pianos? I can't exactly call all these sellers up and go play their instruments to see which one I like best. How old is too old? 

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2011, 07:40:11 PM »
At this point, it's a crapshoot.  You have no choice but to trust that the person is being honest when they tell you the condition of the piano.  The best deal of all is the one where you get it free as long as you pay to move it, in which case the closer it is to you, the better, because it will cost less to move.  Therefore you risk less.

That's if all you want is a piano to play and aren't too picky about the piano itself, as long as it plays.

Offline Cookstar

« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2011, 07:41:31 PM »
I would recommend searching on the Piano World forums if you decide on an acoustic piano: https://www.pianoworld.com/  It was hacked recently so you will get a warning message right now and the forums appear to be down.  Once it's back up and running, you will find a vast amount of information about pianos by searching their forums.  You can search for comparisons between different brands and models.  Yamahas and Kawais are the most popular acoustics.  Petrof and Bohemia are supposed to be quality Czech pianos if you want a reasonably priced European piano.

I discovered Charles Walter pianos while searching Piano World.  They make a 43" console piano that sounds as big as 52" uprights of other brands.  They are one of few American companies still making pianos here.  They are considered comparable to the brands I mentioned in the first paragraph.  Here's their website: https://www.walterpiano.com/.  I found one on craigslist for $3000.  I love it!  If you're not American or Canadian, I don't think they export them overseas so they will not be available to you.

Here's a good resource as well: https://www.pianobuyer.com/.  Larry Fine (not the stooge  :lol ) is considered sort of the guru of rating piano brands and there is a list of prices for all available models sold in the US as well.

Here's my piano.  It has a great touch and beautiful sound and workmanship.