Author Topic: Kind of an odd question  (Read 1752 times)

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
Kind of an odd question
« on: May 02, 2011, 08:34:06 AM »
Has anyone here ever done any like legit Blacksmithing? i think it would be a fun hobby to get into for fun.

inb4NERD but it would be fun to make like armor and weapons and things like that. any suggestions where or how i could check it out?

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Kind of an odd question
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 08:36:12 AM »
I've thought about it being a cool thing to do but I have no idea how you would get into the hobby. Maybe apprentice someone?

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 08:43:31 AM »
Is there still individual blacksmith jobs? or just a hobby?
Cause if you can still be a blacksmith then there's no reason I can't pursue my long lost dream of becoming a ranch hand.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 09:05:04 AM »
Hey, hang on to it, cuz with the economic and civilizational balance of the world tipping over these days, in all seriousness reviving that skill might actually be important.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 09:34:16 AM »
I've never done anything like that, but I was often intrigued by the skill and the knowledge of blacksmiths when I was younger (and I still am, to some extent). Unfortunately, I'm not adept at handcraft at all, so I can't imagine myself doing anything else than failing when I try it. :lol
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 09:50:19 AM »
I love metal working. I have actually dont a lot of blacksmithing work, I love it. Something about taking raw metal and forcing it into whatever you want is oddly satisfying. If you have access to the equipment, I say go for it. My favorite part of the whole process is dipping it in the waterbucket after you have shaped it.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 10:06:02 AM »
How strangely erotic :lol
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 11:18:20 AM »
dipping it in the waterbucket after you have shaped it.

Yeah, that sounds... hot.

:facepalm:

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 02:55:21 PM »
My grandpa had the local blacksmith shop in my home town. He would shoe horses and stuff. My dad can still do the stuff because he was an apprentice with my grandpa, so we have a good amount of neat metal work at my parent's place :lol

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 03:50:01 PM »
Unfortunately, I'm not adept at handcraft at all

Same here. I'm terrible with my hands. I could never be a blacksmith; I'm too clumsy. :lol
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 04:57:29 PM »
see thats the thing.. i dont know if im good with my hands lol. like i was decent at arts and crafts at school but i dont know. my biggest thing is figureing out a design or pattern or something.

@Rumborak: do you have like access to the tools and what not? :o that would be pretty cool to check out. (idk if you have already xD)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2011, 05:20:34 PM »
see thats the thing.. i dont know if im good with my hands lol. like i was decent at arts and crafts at school but i dont know. my biggest thing is figureing out a design or pattern or something.

Metal is a whole different ball game. You could draw something out or have an idea on what you want to do, but once you start working the metal, it sometimes won't allow what you want. It really takes a lot of skill. It took me a few weeks to make anything that looked even remotely professional. It's an art in itself that takes years to master.

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2011, 09:09:29 PM »
this makes me want to learn it that much more.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2011, 09:20:10 PM »
I tried blacksmithing on my level 60 warrior. Sadly I didn't get past 124 skill.

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2011, 09:36:34 PM »
hahaha jewlcrafter ftw...

Offline TheCor

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2011, 12:16:11 AM »
Some community colleges near you may offer classes on the subject.  Basically all you'd need to get started is something to heat up the metal, a blacksmith would have a forge with bellows and whatnot but you could get by with a just a stove or a fire pit and a fan (or a windy day).  An oxyacetylene torch would work for small stuff too. Then an anvil, some tongs, some steel, and a hammer or two and you're ready to go.  I messed around with some metal working in an independent studies class in high school.  For my final project I made a full tang sword, it pretty much looked like crap but it could cut some shit. :lol  It's gonna take a lot of practice to get good at it.