Author Topic: Osama Bin Laden dead.  (Read 55348 times)

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
Re: Osama Bin Laden dead.
« Reply #455 on: May 10, 2011, 11:54:58 AM »
Getting onto the bullet train in Japan was one of the most elaborate procedures I've ever undergone.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #456 on: May 10, 2011, 12:32:48 PM »
The kid next to me in the computer lab is playing Counter Strike and I think hes playing a custom map that's suppose to be Bin Laden's hideout.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #457 on: May 10, 2011, 09:21:33 PM »
Well, Al-Qaeda has already made their declarations. How long do you think until they try and make an attempt to attack the US? :( or do you think all the money the government has invested will pay off.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #458 on: May 10, 2011, 10:36:22 PM »
Well, Al-Qaeda has already made their declarations. How long do you think until they try and make an attempt to attack the US? :( or do you think all the money the government has invested will pay off.

Link?
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #459 on: May 10, 2011, 10:41:13 PM »
Another attack against post-9/11 America was inevitable even before Osama bin Laden was killed.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Rathma

• oh no she didnt
« Reply #460 on: May 11, 2011, 03:17:06 AM »
Apparently one of the candidates for Al-Qaeda chief is a metalhead. Woot!  :D

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #461 on: May 11, 2011, 07:24:45 AM »

When I googled Al Qaeda and Metal this was the first result...

https://mangalorean.com/news.php?newstype=local&newsid=237885

wtf?

And this was all I could find on the real story

https://blogs.ocweekly.com/heardmentality/2011/05/adam_gadahn_loves_death_metal.php

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #462 on: May 11, 2011, 12:22:39 PM »

What the fuck?
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #463 on: May 11, 2011, 12:23:41 PM »
Rathma. whoa.

Offline Rathma

• oh no she didnt
« Reply #464 on: May 11, 2011, 06:33:12 PM »

Apparently the dude used to have his own band  :o

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #465 on: May 11, 2011, 06:36:55 PM »
You realize that you are talking about the next leader of a terrorist organization?  One that is going to be planning and acting to kill as many innocent people as they possibly can.  Yet here you are talking like the guy is going to be your next roomate.  Oh he loves death metal we are totally a match!!

FYI.  If you think a terrorist has even .0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% of coolness, WE ARE NOT A MATCH.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #466 on: May 11, 2011, 06:58:16 PM »
The guy they're talking about is Azzam the American.  That last part pretty much makes him unqualified for the gig, I suspect.  He's from Orange County, converted in the 90s and moved to Pakistan.  He's kind of the rising star in al Qaeda, and as such, is the first American charged with treason since WWII (I think).  He's a pretty popular guy in the movement,  but I doubt they'd hand him the keys to the car.  Honestly, I doubt they'll appoint a new "leader" at all. 

You realize that you are talking about the next leader of a terrorist organization?  One that is going to be planning and acting to kill as many innocent people as they possibly can.  Yet here you are talking like the guy is going to be your next roomate.  Oh he loves death metal we are totally a match!!

FYI.  If you think a terrorist has even .0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% of coolness, WE ARE NOT A MATCH.
A little melodramatic.  Plenty of people could make a similar argument about the last 6 presidents. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #467 on: May 11, 2011, 07:05:55 PM »
???  Bill Clinton liked death metal?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #468 on: May 11, 2011, 08:20:53 PM »
I remember Al Gore being a megadeath fan.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #469 on: May 11, 2011, 08:25:32 PM »
Bush was a Dream Theatre fan.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #470 on: May 11, 2011, 09:08:40 PM »
I remember Al Gore being a megadeath fan.

He invented Megadeath.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Rathma

• oh no she didnt
« Reply #471 on: May 11, 2011, 09:23:30 PM »
You realize that you are talking about the next leader of a terrorist organization?  One that is going to be planning and acting to kill as many innocent people as they possibly can.

I find it hard to believe that Al Qaeda's strategy is just to kill as many people as possible. Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending their actions or anything, just saying that it seems like you're misidentifying their intent. I think there are organizations that are much more evil and a threat to mankind than Al Qaeda.

ITT: People who can't spell Megadeth

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #472 on: May 11, 2011, 09:30:09 PM »
Sorry, Rathma, I don't pay attention to terrible music  ;)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #473 on: May 11, 2011, 09:30:47 PM »
Oops!  On the spelling.  But I find the ideology of a group like Al Qaeda more of a threat then a country.  So I still find them very high on the list.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #474 on: May 11, 2011, 09:41:32 PM »
He raises an interesting point, though.  I'd say that their ideology is that of a complete disregard for American lives rather than murder.  The targets on 911 were the buildings as symbols.  Killing people was necessary to drive the message on home, but I don't think they cared one way or another about who or how many. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #475 on: May 11, 2011, 09:48:55 PM »
This could be said even about us too.  Look at Timothy McVeigh and his ideology.  This is the real danger to all mankind.  Again, it all leads to extremist.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #476 on: May 11, 2011, 10:49:55 PM »
He raises an interesting point, though.  I'd say that their ideology is that of a complete disregard for American lives rather than murder.  The targets on 911 were the buildings as symbols.  Killing people was necessary to drive the message on home, but I don't think they cared one way or another about who or how many. 

Then why didn't they take out the statue of liberty if they were all about symbols?  They wanted people dead.  They want to kill people to cause fear.  Why would we fear terrorists if they weren't targeting people.  If no one ever died from terrorist attacks, it'd just be vandalism.

EDIT:

https://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_bin_laden

From his diary:

"Strike smaller cities, bin Laden suggested. Target trains as well as planes. If possible, strike on significant dates, such as the Fourth of July and the upcoming 10th anniversary of the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001. Above all, kill as many Americans as possible in a single attack."

Didn't care about killing Americans my ass.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 10:55:46 PM by 7StringedBeast »

Offline Rathma

• oh no she didnt
« Reply #477 on: May 11, 2011, 11:01:23 PM »
I think their main goal was to change American foreign policy, or to bring attention to it. Al Qaeda isn't the only organization that murders to accomplish their goals. Most governments do this. Then again, I'm still not sure whether Al Qaeda's motives are more religious or more political (if it's even meaningful to try to separate the two).

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #478 on: May 11, 2011, 11:08:46 PM »

Then why didn't they take out the statue of liberty if they were all about symbols?  They wanted people dead.  They want to kill people to cause fear.  Why would we fear terrorists if they weren't targeting people.  If no one ever died from terrorist attacks, it'd just be vandalism.

EDIT:

https://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_bin_laden

From his diary:

"Strike smaller cities, bin Laden suggested. Target trains as well as planes. If possible, strike on significant dates, such as the Fourth of July and the upcoming 10th anniversary of the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001. Above all, kill as many Americans as possible in a single attack."

Didn't care about killing Americans my ass.

I think what is being discussed is the whether killing Americans was the end, or a means to an end.  The latter is what seems to be indicated by bin Laden's plans, and you seem to be arguing that it is the former.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #479 on: May 12, 2011, 08:25:44 AM »
As I said in my post, killing was necessary, but like Doc Millahh said, it was probably not an end unto itself. 

Honestly,  if body count was their primary concern, they really bungled their choice of targets.  They had no way of expecting that the towers would actually collapse.  That was just good fortune [on their part].  They couldn't have had much expectation of actually damaging the Pentagon very much, at all.  The Capital could have been ugly [from the body count POV, at least], and in that instance, it would have been select casualties that they were after.  Killing a big chunk of Congress would have been much more appealing to them (and us, for that matter) than a bunch of secretaries and bankers. 

E.F. Benson

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #480 on: May 12, 2011, 02:50:11 PM »
I agree that it's more about the idea behing it. But the idea is naturally reinforced a lot if a ton of people die when conveying it.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #481 on: May 12, 2011, 03:47:57 PM »
  They had no way of expecting that the towers would actually collapse.  That was just good fortune [on their part]. 

Not saying you're wrong, but Osama released a video shortly after 9/11 that said they anticipated the towers to collapse down to the point of impact, but never thought they would come completely down.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #482 on: May 12, 2011, 07:33:17 PM »
I think I remember that.  Wasn't it from an interview though?

EDIT:  Found it.  Excerpt:

-Blabbermouth:  So, Osama, would you say the last tour was a success?

-OBL:  Oh, yes.  Completely.  It exceeded out expectations considerably.

-Blabbermouth:  And the fans responded well.

-OBL:  Yes, yes.  They did.  You know, the other guys in the band had some trepidation before we went out.  But once we were out on the road, the response was just tremendous.

-Blabbermouth:  Now you had some issue with the pyrotechnics on the tour--

-OBL:  Well, not "issues" actually ON the tour.  It was-  Well, let me back up.  At the start, we let our tour manager handle it.  And we found out he hired the same pyro compnay that Metallica used on the GNR stadium tour.  So Mahmoud was like, "uh...you remember what happened to James Hetfield on that tour, right?" 

-Blabbermouth:  So that was a no go.

-OBL:  Yeah, and we really had to scramble to get something in place at the last minute.  And we were nervous because we didn't have time to even rehearse with it before the first show, so we didn't even know if it would look right with our stage show or anything.

-Blabbermouth:  So you actually went onstage without even seeing it first?

-OBL:  Oh yeah, it was crazy.  It was an outdoor show, and we're onstage with the city skyline behind us.

-Blabbermouth:  And this is the New York City show, right?

-OBL:  Oh, I'm sorry, yeah.  So we're coming to the end of our set, right?  I hit my open drop D power chord to end the last song, and Omar is going nuts on this huge tom roll for the "big rock & roll ending," waiting for the big pyro effect we had planned and we don't even know if it's going to work. 

-Blabbermouth:  So how was it supposed to go?

-OBL:  We just wanted these two big fireballs to explode right behind the stage so it would look like the buildings behind us were on fire, right?  So we're doing our big ending, right?  And the pyro crew actually has planes fly right into the f***ing buildings!

-Blabbermouth:  And how did the fans react?

-OBL:  Dude, it was HUGE!  I mean, imagine, you've got our guitars coming at you at about a million decibels, and then--BOOM!  The friggin' buildings just explode!  The fans were loving it.  Yeah, I mean, I'd say it was a huge success.

The OBL Crew are currently in studio in an indisclosed location somewhere along the Afghanistan/Pakistan border working on their as yet untitled follow-up album.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."