Author Topic: Cleaning out the closet?  (Read 6925 times)

Offline jmbeat

Cleaning out the closet?
« on: May 01, 2011, 05:42:24 PM »
Could this have been the best DT record in the nineties?
"So just shut your face and take a seat because after all you're just talking meat.....and music?  Well that's just entertainment folks.---Devin Townsend

"I'm not drinking until Saturday"---My Wife;)

Offline MetropolisxPt1

Re: Cleaning out the closet?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 09:57:31 PM »
 :facepalm: no.

Offline Aniland

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 10:10:11 PM »
It was pretty fantastic, but not a formal "album". A compilation CD at best. It's too bad that so many of those songs didn't see the releases they should have.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 10:11:31 PM »
It was pretty fantastic, but not a formal "album". A compilation CD at best. It's too bad that so many of those songs didn't see the releases they should have.

Yeah. The greatest hits CD was a great chance to get some of them on discs in a more respectable form, but it was not to be.

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 10:14:06 PM »
Some of their best work for sure.To Live Forever, Where Are You Now, Raise The Knife and Cover My Eyes are all some of my personal favorites.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 11:17:18 PM »
There really is some overlooked gold on that CD, but I don't think that it can hold a candle against Images And Words or Awake (Where Are You Now? and Cover My Eyes don't really reach the levels of RTK or To Live Forever).
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 05:14:39 AM »
Since Images & Words, Awake, and Scenes From A Memory were all released in the nineties, the answer is: Hell, no.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline FretMuppet

• DAIM that looks good!
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 05:21:52 AM »
Well, it does have Eve...

Eve

Eve

EVE

Offline xeper

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 08:20:55 AM »
Never got a hold of this one but I do have the FII Demos from Ytsejam Records which thankfully have most of the tracks (and what phenomenal tunes they are). Still don't have a studio version of Eve though. For anyone who has both releases, is Speak To Me the same version on the FII Demos as on Cleaning Out The Closet?

Offline FretMuppet

• DAIM that looks good!
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 09:20:02 AM »
Never got a hold of this one but I do have the FII Demos from Ytsejam Records which thankfully have most of the tracks (and what phenomenal tunes they are). Still don't have a studio version of Eve though. For anyone who has both releases, is Speak To Me the same version on the FII Demos as on Cleaning Out The Closet?

It sounds like it, so yeah. I haven't heard of them recording several versions of it, except when they played it live (OIALT?)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 09:22:01 AM »
There are some really good songs on there, but...

Since Images & Words, Awake, and Scenes From A Memory were all released in the nineties, the answer is: Hell, no.

Bingo.

Even Falling into Infinity blows it away.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2011, 09:26:55 AM »
There are some really good songs on there, but...

Bingo.

Even Falling into Infinity blows it away.

As much as I like some of the songs on COTC, especially "Eve", "Don't Look Past Me", "Raise The Knife" and "Speak To Me", there is a reason the disc is made of songs that didn't make the cut on their respective albums. All the officially released albums in the 90's were MUCH better than this compilation.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Banny

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2011, 09:29:14 AM »
Let me be very clear.
I love Cleaning Out The Closet and many songs are favourites of mine.

It is most certainly not Dream Theater's strongest record on the 90s. It's not even an album, but a collection of songs. How can a compilation disk be more powerful than albums that are very highly regarded both amongst DT fans and the prog scene? It's impossible for me to rank it above #4 at the very least.

Offline TheSoylentMan

• Nothing ever happens on Mars
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2011, 12:21:06 PM »
For anyone who has both releases, is Speak To Me the same version on the FII Demos as on Cleaning Out The Closet?

I've been wondering the same thing for all the FII tracks on Cleaning Out the Closet. Are they different? I own FII demos, plus the singles with Eve and To Live Forever, but never got Cleaning Out The Closet. Am I missing out?

Offline FretMuppet

• DAIM that looks good!
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2011, 12:30:21 PM »
For anyone who has both releases, is Speak To Me the same version on the FII Demos as on Cleaning Out The Closet?

I've been wondering the same thing for all the FII tracks on Cleaning Out the Closet. Are they different? I own FII demos, plus the singles with Eve and To Live Forever, but never got Cleaning Out The Closet. Am I missing out?

I just checked, they're both the same versions.

COTC has Don't look past me, which is a top-class DT song (IMO)  :tup so yeah, I recommend checking that out

Offline russellmania

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2011, 01:01:39 PM »
I love love LOVE Don't Look Past Me.  Rest of the cd has some good stuff on it, but yeah that song owns.  Would love to hear it live someday.

Offline FretMuppet

• DAIM that looks good!
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2011, 01:27:28 PM »
I love love LOVE Don't Look Past Me.  Rest of the cd has some good stuff on it, but yeah that song owns.  Would love to hear it live someday.

Sadly, its another one of the few songs that have never been played live  :'( along with Space-Dye Vest (if you don't count JLB's and JR's show) and The Best of Times...

Chances are we might never hear them live, but don't get your hopes down, they might pull off a Score and decide to revisit it someday, and maybe release it on DVD, but that's a bit off topic  :lol

Offline xeper

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2011, 07:36:36 PM »
I assume the CotC version of Don't Look Past Me has LaBrie on vocals? I have the version on the Images & Words demos w/ John Hendricks singing. I'd love to hear JLB tackle this one.

So are these fanclub CDs legitimately available still, or not really?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2011, 07:55:46 PM »

Sadly, its another one of the few songs that have never been played live  :'( along with Space-Dye Vest (if you don't count JLB's and JR's show) and The Best of Times...

Chances are we might never hear them live, but don't get your hopes down, they might pull off a Score and decide to revisit it someday, and maybe release it on DVD, but that's a bit off topic  :lol

I wouldn't be surprised if we get Don't Look Past Me and Space Dye Vest some day in the not too distant future.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2011, 08:20:20 PM »
I would Mangini every-fucking-where if they actually played Don't Look Past Me.

Offline russellmania

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2011, 11:28:21 PM »
I assume the CotC version of Don't Look Past Me has LaBrie on vocals? I have the version on the Images & Words demos w/ John Hendricks singing. I'd love to hear JLB tackle this one.

So are these fanclub CDs legitimately available still, or not really?

could probably just youtube don't look past me.