1 (4%)
1800-2000
6 (24%)
2000-2200
9 (36%)
2200-2400
6 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: What did you get on your SATs?  (Read 9848 times)

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
Re: What did you get on your SATs?
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2011, 07:01:26 PM »
Man, I feel fucking stupid now. I got a 27 on the ACT. I only took it once though.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I got in that range as well.  Did quite a bit better on the SAT as it seems to be more English/Writing based.

Never took those tests

Wish this was the case.  What a useless waste of time they are.
It's a couple of hours on a Saturday morning that helps to determine whether or not you get to go to the college you want.  Hardly a useless waste of time.

Well, considering that they have practically no bearing on how well you actually do in college, I would say that they're pretty wasteful.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2011, 07:16:13 PM »

Man, I feel fucking stupid now. I got a 27 on the ACT. I only took it once though.

A 27 isn't a bad grade at all dude!

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2011, 07:33:55 PM »

Yeah. Don't feel bad. I got 29 my first time, and all my friends did better than me in the end. My friends' scores were 36, 36, 34, and 33. Strange how I manage to pick them as my friends.

Did quite a bit better on the SAT as it seems to be more English/Writing based.

It probably would've been the opposite for me. I got like a 27 in English and a 36 in math.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2011, 07:35:10 PM »

Oh, I know. I'm just used to eclipsing pretty much everybody (lolOhio). I have to take it with a grain of salt, since all the smart people congregate here. :p
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2011, 08:41:03 AM »
I was originally trying for the Air Force Academy, so I took the SAT three times.  This is when it was out of 1600.

1: 1200
2: 1240
3: 1300

Offline elyster

« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2011, 10:45:57 AM »
I can't remember as it was almost 25 years ago.  But I know for sure I didn't even break 1000.  It was 1600 for a perfect score back then obviously.  I think I got like a 950.  But hey, still got my degree and now making a bunch of money so who cares...

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2011, 11:06:09 AM »
Drool.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2011, 11:13:39 AM »
I got a 1950 on the new ones.

Offline Durg

• Evil Java Genius & Horder of Open Source Software
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2011, 11:21:19 AM »

Nope.  I took the ACT one time.  I made a 21 which was good enough for me to be accepted into Louisiana Tech.  I didn't take the SAT at all.  23 years later I've had a very successful career in Computer Programming.  A master's degree in Information Technology.  I've taught as an adjunct in two different colleges while working full time as a consultant. 

I don't use this type of language much but....  test scores don't mean shit once you get into the real world. 
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

Offline pmahoney1337

« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2011, 01:30:27 PM »
SAT - 1470
ACT - 29

I hated those tests.

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2011, 05:23:05 PM »
Never took the SAT. I think I got a...28? on my ACT. Can't remember for sure.

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2011, 05:49:54 PM »
First: Damn I didn't even know they changed it, 1600 was the max in my day as well.

Second: Damn you guys are smarter than me.  I don't remember exactly obviously as it was years ago but I think I got somewhere around 1100.  Killed it in the verbal section but me dumb at math.  And that was considered pretty respectable amongst my peers at the time.  I'm pretty sure the average joe at my high school didn't even crack 1000.

Offline j

« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2011, 06:01:47 PM »
I'm pretty sure the average joe at my high school didn't even crack 1000.

It was even lower than that at my high school.

And yeah, most of the scores being reported in this thread are really, really high.  Not at all representative of "average joes".

-J

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2011, 06:03:30 PM »
DT fans aren't your average Joes. :lol

And I'm jealous of the older generations. The testing didn't really matter back then. Now it's such a huge deal.

Offline j

« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2011, 06:07:54 PM »
When I graduated in '03, it was still the determining factor for college admission for most people.  But yeah, these types of tests are getting more and more important because the pool of applicants keeps getting bigger.  They have to start weeding out somewhere.

-J

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2011, 06:10:42 PM »
I still remember one conversation with a friend of mine a few years ago:

"I got my SAT results"
"Cool, how'd you do?"
"Ummm, 1200"
"That's, uh, that's not too bad"
"On the new SATs"

She's a nursing student now. Dealing with real patients.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2011, 07:02:37 PM »
A friend of mine got like a 1100. :lol

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2011, 07:47:14 PM »
Oh my God. I just remembered, I did take the SAT in 7th grade. They sent me to some rich kid's school along with all these high school seniors and I took the test. I got somewhere around a 1300. I still never needed it though.

I wonder why they sent me to take it. I never really thought about that til now.

Offline Riceball

• It's the economy, stupid.
« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2011, 11:17:26 PM »
I live in Australia, obv its different here but I got 98.05/100 :)

Thats a ridiculously good TER (you must've averaged 75-80 in your assessed subjects)...I got 94.3/99.95 (they had to split the top spot in my year).
I punch those numbers into my calculator and they make a happy face.

A $500 Musical Odyssey: Now accepting nominations

Offline Ħ

« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2011, 11:30:21 PM »
I don't think the SAT is a very fair test, to be honest.  That said, I got a 1940, which is okay.  On the ACT I got a 31, which is much better.

I always hated the critical reading sections.  I'm a slow reader, and to be honest, the test doesn't measure "critical reading".  All it does is measure how well you can take the critical reading portion of the test.  But yeah, I always did terrible on the reading sections, but pretty much perfect on the math sections.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2011, 12:42:55 AM »
I don't think the SAT is a very fair test, to be honest.  That said, I got a 1940, which is okay.  On the ACT I got a 31, which is much better.

I always hated the critical reading sections.  I'm a slow reader, and to be honest, the test doesn't measure "critical reading".  All it does is measure how well you can take the critical reading portion of the test.  But yeah, I always did terrible on the reading sections, but pretty much perfect on the math sections.
I was the exact opposite. I almost aced the critical reading section, but I always hated the math.

Offline Durg

• Evil Java Genius & Horder of Open Source Software
« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2011, 06:42:10 AM »

And yeah, most of the scores being reported in this thread are really, really high.  Not at all representative of "average joes".

-J

Everyone except me.  Bunch o nerds on this thread.  Of course the only people posting on this thread were the ones that did well.  More average guys like me need to post here.  I don't mind telling my score.  It has nothing to do with my intelligence at all.  Stupid is as stupid does.   :P
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

Offline RandalGraves

« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2011, 07:55:37 AM »
I don't use this type of language much but....  test scores don't mean shit once you get into the real world. 

Word.  Although I guess that's easy for me to say, I never took the SATs.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2011, 08:09:12 AM »
I live in Australia, obv its different here but I got 98.05/100 :)

Thats a ridiculously good TER (you must've averaged 75-80 in your assessed subjects)...I got 94.3/99.95 (they had to split the top spot in my year).
Thanks! :D And yeah the actual max for us was 99.95 too. I averaged about 80 or so in my top 4 I think. That was last year actually (I'm at Uni this year! :D ). And 94.3 is obviously really good too, that gets you into pretty much everything too :D I only needed an 84 or something to do what I'm doing :)
One of my friends came in the top few in the state, he got 99.75 :) Two of my friends got in the 97's and one got in the 95's, so we all kinda kept each other on our toes in Year 12 with friendly competitiveness :D

But boy, am I glad thats over! Uni is so much better then school :D

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #59 on: May 03, 2011, 09:51:02 PM »

-J

Everyone except me.  Bunch o nerds on this thread.  Of course the only people posting on this thread were the ones that did well.  More average guys like me need to post here.  I don't mind telling my score.  It has nothing to do with my intelligence at all.  Stupid is as stupid does.   :P

The other part of it is that there is so much prep for the SAT/ACT now-a-days that grade inflation has essentially taken place.  I'm sure the average SAT score isn't 1500/2400 as the score suggests.  I'm not saying that as a member of the older generation, just as a likely hypothesis.

Obviously I took it back in the day when it was out of 1600.  I got 1190 in 7th grade, 1390 in 9th, and 1540 in 11th grade.  I think my GRE was in the 2200s back when it was out of 2400, and I didn't take the chemistry GRE b/c it wasn't required and I didn't want to spend money on them.

Offline WaterToFire

« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2011, 06:29:54 PM »
2370, not good enough for Harvard or Princeton.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #61 on: May 04, 2011, 08:20:13 PM »
I didn't take the chemistry GRE b/c it wasn't required and I didn't want to spend money on them.

Good move on your part...it was awful.  And the prep books lied..the ration of P-chem on the exam was 2x of what it was on the practice exams in the prep book I had....I'd been getting 65th percentile on the practice exams, and took a big drop on the exam as a result.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #62 on: May 04, 2011, 08:42:59 PM »
OK, I'll give.  In the 1600 point system, I got a 1230.  Irony was that I scored a 780 on the math part, then bombed math and physics at Berkeley, ending up with a Psych major and an english minor.

Offline Bonham

• Either Zeppelin's drummer or "good ham"
« Reply #63 on: May 04, 2011, 11:04:11 PM »
2370, not good enough for Harvard or Princeton.
... What?

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #64 on: May 04, 2011, 11:50:34 PM »
Harvard is notorious for being one of the hardest schools to get in and one of the easiest to stay in.

Offline Bonham

• Either Zeppelin's drummer or "good ham"
« Reply #65 on: May 05, 2011, 12:20:18 AM »
Even given that, 2370 is an incredible score, on the high end of Harvard's averages. With a decent GPA, you'd get pretty much anywhere with that.

Offline WaterToFire

« Reply #66 on: May 05, 2011, 08:14:09 PM »
My unweighted GPA was a 96%, loaded with AP classes (all of which I've gotten 5s in so far). What I've learned from seeing who at my school got into which colleges is that there's a lot more to it than SATs and grades at the top tier.

Two people from my grade got into Harvard; to my knowledge both of them ranked lower in GPA and SATs. Both are very qualified individuals- One is the class president who likely got in for the 'leadership skills' Harvard covets so much, and the other has rich and important parents who went to Harvard (but no, she's going to Yale instead- another college her relatives attended). However, having known them for a few years they're not particularly more intelligent or hard working than me.

Despite a number of kids getting SATs in the 2300+ range with A+ GPAs, no one got into Princeton.

So really if your scores are at least a 2200-ish, any additional points aren't going to help. The college knows you're smart; then they look at all your other factors and roll the dice (the first kid who got into Harvard got rejected from every other Ivy League school, including Cornell which accepted me).

The whole process is just really annoying...

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #67 on: May 05, 2011, 08:17:46 PM »
College admission is the biggest bullshit process on this planet, so yes I agree.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Ħ

« Reply #68 on: May 05, 2011, 09:07:51 PM »
College admission is the biggest bullshit process on this planet, so yes I agree.
I totally agree with you.  I mean, it's not like it takes a genius to get through undergraduate education, so why do you need to be a genius to get into one?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #69 on: May 06, 2011, 03:19:01 AM »
Even given that, 2370 is an incredible score, on the high end of Harvard's averages. With a decent GPA, you'd get pretty much anywhere with that.

There are a students who have gotten perfect SAT scored and not gotten in to Harvard.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.