Author Topic: Leg cramps in the middle of the night dis-appreciation  (Read 1211 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Leg cramps in the middle of the night dis-appreciation
« on: April 29, 2011, 07:59:40 AM »
The human body is an amazing, wonderful, infinitely complex biological machine which I cannot even begin to understand.  Minerals grown into living beams for levers and support, endless miles of vessels carrying nutrients to every cell in every organ, a biocomputer hundreds of generations beyond our grasp controlling it all...

And somehow, when I'm sound asleep, it is decided that the calf muscle in my left leg needs to
CONTRACT!  NOW!  HARD!  TIGHT!  TIGHTER!  PAIN!  SCREAM!  AHHHHH!

But of course you can't scream because you have someone sleeping next to you, someone to whom you cannot reveal that you're a pussy and can't handle something like a little leg cramp without waking up the rest of the house with your whining.  So you leap up out of bed, nearly collapse in agony, and silenty try to massage and stretch it simultaneously (which is probably a stupid idea, I don't know, but you're still half asleep so whatever) until it finally subsides, then you get back into bed and try to get some more sleep.  But it's impossible now because now you're actually wide awake from the pain, and also a little pissed at God and the universe for creating this amazing human machine with such ridiculous potential to malfunction.  Why doesn't this happen in the middle of the day?  Why not while your wife is droning on and on about some stupid conversation she had with someone you don't know and don't care about?  Why during the rest cycle, which is so important to proper functioning?  What the fuck?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Leg cramps in the middle of the night dis-appreciation
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 08:26:47 AM »
I haven't had that happen in a while.  Last night the mind was keeping me awake.  Falling asleep in the Archie Bunker chair.  Laying in bed for an hour wide awake.  Turn on the TV for an hour.  Finally fall asleep at one.  Wake up at 6:30am.  Damn you old age.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 09:32:14 AM »
Drink more water during the day and before you go to bed.  That will help.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 09:38:23 AM »
Drink more water during the day and before you go to bed.  That will help.

This absolutely! I used to wake up with both calfs cramped. Shoot out of bed and not be able to walk and wanting to scream in pain. Drink lots of water and eat some bananas! Potassium should help reduce charlie horses.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 09:43:03 AM »
This has happened to me twice...my god, it sucks.

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 09:43:58 AM »
I have it in my foot once a while, incredibly annoying and it can hurt like hell. Don't think drinking water will help, since it's already the only thing I drink most days.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 09:44:47 AM »
Also, flex your toes back toward your shin, this will help stretch the muscle out.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 09:49:11 AM »
Also, flex your toes back toward your shin, this will help stretch the muscle out.

After ten minutes of, "Oh, OOWWWWW, EHHHHYEEEAAAA, FFFUUUUU, OOOOWWWWWW DAMMITTTTTT!"
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2011, 09:50:34 AM »
I find that as soon as I feel the muscles start to contract, I get up immediately and walk around.  This stops it in 5 seconds, and I'm not sore in the morning. 

When I found that I could do this, I was pissed at having sat through cramps till the end.  But now I don't worry about them anymore.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2011, 10:21:48 AM »
That would work if I were awake and could feel it coming on.  I've had it happen a few times while awake and yeah, walking around and/or stretching helps.  But when I'm jolted out of a sound sleep by it, I didn't get the chance to be pro-active.

I've tried drinking more water before going to bed.  I end up getting up in the middle of the night to pee.  Less painful, but no less annoying.  Bananas may be my only hope.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2011, 10:53:04 AM »
That would work if I were awake and could feel it coming on.  I've had it happen a few times while awake and yeah, walking around and/or stretching helps.  But when I'm jolted out of a sound sleep by it, I didn't get the chance to be pro-active.

I've tried drinking more water before going to bed.  I end up getting up in the middle of the night to pee.  Less painful, but no less annoying.  Bananas may be my only hope.

Orbert,

Bananas will be a huge help as will hydration during the day, you don't need to drink it all just before bed . If you can find a way to keep yourself hydrated throughout the day it should help through the night. I used to get these on a pretty constant basis when I was drinking, since I stopped they happen less frequently . Also someone else had mention, they can catch it before it happens, I have found that I can do that as well now, its usually a twinge in my calf muscle a few seconds before the cramp actually occurs, when and if I feel that twinge I immediately stretch the muscle out, and get out of bed.
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline jsem

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2011, 11:40:35 AM »

Orbert,

Bananas will be a huge help as will hydration during the day, you don't need to drink it all just before bed . If you can find a way to keep yourself hydrated throughout the day it should help through the night. I used to get these on a pretty constant basis when I was drinking, since I stopped they happen less frequently . Also someone else had mention, they can catch it before it happens, I have found that I can do that as well now, its usually a twinge in my calf muscle a few seconds before the cramp actually occurs, when and if I feel that twinge I immediately stretch the muscle out, and get out of bed.
This absolutely. Drink a glass of water every hour or so.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2011, 11:49:31 AM »
ya.....I hate it when my third leg stiffens right up and I have to take care of it myself.....terrible.
Just no relief.....roll over *clunk*....roll over *clunk*.

Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.