Author Topic: Shut up Alex and quit all of this over-analyzing junk  (Read 1801 times)

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
Shut up Alex and quit all of this over-analyzing junk
« on: April 27, 2011, 05:20:33 PM »
I had what I think was a self realization today and (here comes to the excuses to post-whore this board) couldn't think of a place where I should share this. I mean, it's not so much lonely heart related and it really isn't depression. So fuck it, new thread yadda yadda yadda.

So let me set this up by stating that this quarter I am taking a video production class at the community college I attend. Now, as some of you might know my passion is in film. I am a certified (probably) film snob and have a fairly wide understanding of film and film theory. Several months ago I decided what I really want to do in the film industry, that being DP (director of photography) work. You know, cinematography. But lately I've kind of hit a brick wall of discouragement. I noticed that a good majority of the people in my class seem to have a pretty decent (if not wider) background in photography and the countless different aspects of it. Well, all this has kind of taken a bit if a hit on my confidence of being behind the camera. I feel like...maybe I'm not as suitable as I thought I was at this whole thing. You know, like when you sing in the shower only to hear complaints afterward from family members, roommates, pets, etc. at how fucking terrible your voice sounds. And it kind of makes me want to reconsider everything in terms of which direction I want to take in film. But my problem is, I feel extremely behind in all the fields I'd like to work in. The only thing I feel I have an exceptional amount of experience in is film theory and film analysis. But how the fuck do you make a career out of that?

And you know this could all just be stressed out Alex talking. But this all leads to the point of what I'm really wanting to vent about.

The inferiority complex. In fact, my inferiority complex.

As defined on Wikipedia:
n inferiority complex, in the fields of psychology and psychoanalysis, is a feeling that one is inferior to others in some way. Such feelings can arise from an imagined or actual inferiority in the afflicted person. It is often subconscious, and is thought to drive afflicted individuals to overcompensate, resulting either in spectacular achievement or extreme schizotypal behavior, or both. Unlike a normal feeling of inferiority, which can act as an incentive for achievement (or promote discouragement), an inferiority complex is an advanced state of discouragement, often embedding itself into one's lifestyle, and sometimes resulting in a retreat from difficulties.

It's weird, I've always considered myself to have an inferiority complex. And it's ever weirder being aware of this state of mind but still not really...doing anything about it. And that's probably because I doubt the fact that I might even have this complex and then I just get myself in this double infinite spiral of self doubt (or it could be apathy, I don't know). But why am I ranting about this? I mean, a few know that I've complained or brought up my low confidence before. And some keep telling me to just flat out "stop it". But I have NO IDEA how. And it's constant hits to my confidence that make it so difficult for me.

And one major problem is I feel like I'm just an...incredibly average human being. If not below average. As if there is no part of me that is exceptionally better, higher, greater, whateverthefuck over those around me. I am learning to play guitar. But the vast majority of people I know who play can easily shit on my playing. I want to both get into DP work and possibly screenplay writing. Once again, just average compared to plenty of people I know or have encountered. These are just two minor examples. These aren't two specific things that bother me the most. I think you get the point. I have never been the best at something or the most ________ guy someone knows. And for some reason this bothers me (my best guess being it ties in with my possible inferiority complex). I mean, I've always just felt average, forgettable and one of those people who just kind of...exist.

And it's not like people are purposely trying to discourage me. I mean, only a small handful of people have flat out told me I'm shit at something. But there is such a sheer lack of positive reinforcement for whatever reason that I just don't feel like I"m doing whatever it is I'm doing at the time correctly. This is pretty particular in my writing, musical ability, sense of humor, etc. And I have no god damn clue why I care so much.

But at the same time, I'm not complaining that "Oh why can't I be a good writer when I never practice or write or whatever". I know that everything takes practice. But I guess I'm just...easily discouraged. I still practice my guitar playing daily, but still feel this looming feeling of "You'll never be good enough like that friend of yours. Jackass". Same goes with my interactions with people. I've always kind of lived in that mindset of "Why the dick should I care what people think about me?", but that really only applies with people I don't know. When it comes to those who I'm close to, I tend to wonder quite often how they would react if suddenly I was gone (albeit an angsty thought, I know), even if I already know or have a good idea. Hence the double infinite spiral of self doubt.

EDIT: And you know, this might be why I sometimes flaunt things such as my CD collection or being the biggest fan of something or being a gigantic film buff. I generally just want...to feel like I have something that someone else necessarily doesn't.

I don't know, that's all I got. Thanks for listening.

tl;dr I never feel good enough. It's a shame I don't often have the drive to be the very best, like no one ever was. Or at least know how.

I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
Re: Shut up Alex and quit all of this over-analyzing junk
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 05:25:46 PM »

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 05:26:27 PM »
This will probably make you feel worse but I relate a lot to this, especially the bit in the edit.  

EDIT:  I just read it over again.  I feel almost exactly the same about all of it.
www.bedeceived.com

ZOMG WHAT'S AT BEDECEIVED.COM?

I DUNNO!  CLICK THE DARNED LINK TO FIND OUT!

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 05:27:28 PM »
This will probably make you feel worse but I relate a lot to this, especially the bit in the edit. 
Oh Jesus kill me now.

:neverusethis:

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 05:30:07 PM »
Oh Jesus kill me now.

:neverusethis:
haha I really do relate to all of this though.  I've been feeling this way especially about my magic lately.  I compare myself to some people i know online and feel inferior.  And VERY MUCH with the friend part since I have a lot of friend conflicts right now.  A lot.
www.bedeceived.com

ZOMG WHAT'S AT BEDECEIVED.COM?

I DUNNO!  CLICK THE DARNED LINK TO FIND OUT!

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 05:30:18 PM »
You know what I do when people say I should stop singing? Sing 'Dont stop believing' yet again.

Who cares what the others do, if you think film is interesting just continue doing it. Try to find something makes you happy instead of something that you are better at then the rest. GlaDOS mentioned I was the better robot, did that deter you from finding the humans  :angel:?

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 05:43:10 PM »
I know this sounds discouraging, but there is always going to be someone better.  Only one person gets to say "I'm the best", and even eventually someone else better will come along.

The fact is that many people will be able to do the same job as you (or me, I'm not that special).  Why?  Because there is demand for a skill.  How many movies get made a year?  How many more get made that we don't know about?  Add in TV shows and there's more.  There's only one Tiger Woods, but there are thousands of professional golfers.

I'm not an expert in your field, but I imagine there are two important parts to it - and innate part to it that is just feel, and experience.  At your age, you are going to lack experience, but that's ok, that comes with time.  And as you gain experience, you'll learn how to express yourself behind the camera and those innate abilities - what you think you want out of a scene - will express themself and you'll learn how to get others to see your vision.

Long story short...stick with it.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 07:30:48 PM »
Oh Jesus kill me now. 

Jesus won't kill you, He will save you, brother.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 07:51:12 PM »
Alex, I'm sure you already know this, but I'm sure there isn't a single person in this room who doesn't constantly feel this way.  I feel like shit for how I perform in mathematics, so I just really stop putting as much time into it as others because I don't grasp it as quickly.  But this is shitty advice, and this first paragraph is a horrid waste of time.  Of course every human is going to feel that way, now what the hell is the god damn point? 

You didn't go into film to try and outsmart everyone else trying to become someone in film.  You didn't go in to finally put an end to Avatar's evil and unjustified reign as highest grossing film ever (though that would be very nice of you, of course)  You went in to make FUCKING ART.  You went in because you have a passion for film.  So stop comparing yourself to Joe-with-the-rich-parents-with-connections-and-more experience and just remember why you started film in the first place.  I understand that a complex is, well, complex and that you don't just stop letting it affect you.  That's why I'm keeping the focal point of this very specific and relating it to film; it's not likely that you are going to tackle any complex, but you can at least do your best to not let it take control of just one specific thing that is very important to you. (in this case it's film)  Just remember why you're in film.  Given, people are still going to shit on you no matter what, but remember why you're doing what you do and the shit might be a little less shitty. 

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 07:54:31 PM »
I feel like this a lot, but that whole "Well, everyone else is just better than me" feeling usually drives me to work myself to death until I feel like I've accomplished something. Kind of a double-edged sword.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 08:02:58 PM »
Pretty much what everyone else said, dude. College is a fucking confusing time. Just stick with what you love doing, and I think everything will work out for you.  :tup

Offline The Degenerate

• The Knight of Noir
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2011, 10:46:58 PM »
Shut up, Alex, and quit all of this over-analyzing junk.
"Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you." ~ Tyrion Lannister

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2011, 12:08:51 AM »
Oh Jesus kill me now. 

Jesus won't kill you, He will save you, brother.
James, as much as I love and respect you, please don't do this. I know for a fact we have completely different spiritual views and I don't want to cause a problem about it.  :heart

@DTVT: I understand what you are saying, and yes it makes sense. I guess my main issue with is more in my self doubt. Which I honestly have no idea how I could work around. At all. I appreciate you're words regardless.

@dtismajesty: I think this might be the best advice regarding this that I've heard in a while (not the first time I've ranted about dat inferiority complex to other people). And I think I'm just panicking because of my sheer lack of creative input so far with the class I've taken because of the stress from both school and working part time. I don't know, I feel behind on certain things. I do know practice is everything, I just have a hard time finding the outlet I need to get going (or the initial confidence, I suppose)

@Ultimetalhead: You'd think that since we are basically the same person, I'd do thing similarly. But I guess...I'm just not as motivated. Which I really want to figure out how to work around  :-\

Shut up, Alex, and quit all of this over-analyzing junk.
Easily the best post in the thread.

I appreciate the posts guys. I was more or less just posting to get some shit out and vent. Thanks again though.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2011, 06:41:16 AM »
Oh Jesus kill me now. 

Jesus won't kill you, He will save you, brother.*
but only if you love him and no one else as is stated in the scripture, "Let none of ye enjoy cool things, and love not anyone more than me, for I will undoubtedly take a razor across yon path, not down yon alley."

trollface.gif

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2011, 10:44:38 AM »
Listen Alex, I get this feeling ALL the time about my politics major.  I just can't play the game as well as nearly any of my peers in the major.

But I do have an edge.  It was a long time coming and required quite a bit of soul searching and researching, but even if someone seems to be generally better than you at something, eventually you find the thing you're good at.

You are the most you.  You just have to figure out what that means.  Find your niche, man.  I only did like...2 weeks ago. :lol
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude: