Author Topic: My National TV Appearance Story - Samantha Brown (Travel Channel Ep. in Austin)  (Read 1972 times)

Offline Compadre

• Progressive Zydeco Enthusiast
  • "Dance with the one who brung ya"
Greetings DTF!

Since I am still in the 'getting to know you' phase in my new relationship with this crazy place, I thought I'd share this video clip of me on Samantha Brown's "Passport to Great Weekends".  The episode took place in Austin, TX & was filmed exactly 3 years ago today.  

I'd normally view this type of self-promotion on the internet to people I don't know as rather tacky, but what the heck.  Might be a good way to make a few more friends around here & provide everyone with a few laughs during this rather crazy week for my fellow DT fans.

This may be familiar to any former MP.com forumers like myself, but chances are, you paid no attention to my post because I didn't have a high post-count and/or the thread wasn't about worshiping at the altar of Mike Portnoy.

It was for a show on The Travel Channel called "Passport to Great Weekends", hosted by the stunning Samantha Brown.  

Long story short, one of the shows was centered around fun things to do and see in and around Austin.
I got a call from a friend of a friend (who happened to be the producer for the show) who asked me for suggestions on places to go, things to do, etc. about 2 or 3 months before they came to town to film the episode.  

We went back and forth for a month or so, shooting the breeze about cool things to see when the show's producer went ahead & asked me to be one of those people that shows Samantha around & talks about what it's like living in Austin, yadda-yadda.

We filmed two segments in April of '08 & of course, the most embarassing one made the cut.  I just found the advance copy of the show they sent me before it aired & edited it down to just my part (my name is John Wells, btw) to share with some family and friends and uploaded it to youtube:  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dkpggPQ0cg

Also, just a word to the wise:  No matter how nervous one becomes prior to appearing on national television with no tan & a beer gut, NEVER smoke the wacky tabbacky with the camera guy 10 minutes before filming starts.   :hat

Cheers,

John

« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 03:36:01 PM by Compadre »
Learning Lessons & Living Blessings

Offline Compadre

Danggit!  

I have almost no video editing experience & inadvertently left off the best part!  

Here is the Full version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dkpggPQ0cg

[Corrected the link in my original post above].  Now you can laugh at/with (but most likely "at") me  :corn
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 03:35:12 PM by Compadre »

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
Also, just a word to the wise:  No matter how nervous one becomes prior to appearing on national television with no tan & a beer gut, NEVER smoke the wacky tabbacky with the camera guy 10 minutes before filming starts.   :hat

:lol

I'll check it out later tonight, in class right now.

Offline Manolito Mystiq

She's fun!

By the way: how did you feel when you saw yourself on television? I remember it felt like it wasn't me who was on national television; it's very confronting.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
Just watched it, pretty awesome!  :tup

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
looks like a great place...austin is a great city

Offline elyster

As a fellow Austinite I remember going to Barton Springs back in the days where women walking around topless was an every-day event.  Quite the scene for a young kid going through puberty.

:corn

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
That was awesome :lol

Offline Compadre

Seeing yourself on television is a bit trippy, although I have been in a few films, commercials, news docs, etc. (All local/regional) in the past. 

I remember completely dreading having my shirt off on national television.  I had just lost a great deal of my college weight & still had that 'fat guy' self-consciousness that seems to be pretty common.  Also, the fact that I am physically unable to get a tan (very fair skin) used to bug me quite a bit.

Thank God I quit being such an asswipe, had the cajones to approach & ask out my gorgeous finace (getting married October 1st!!), and just started living by the mantra of "What would John Myung Do?" 

WWJMXD?  I think I want to make neon bracelets with that abbreviation.  :coolio

Stay classy,

-Compadre-