Author Topic: Long Story Short...  (Read 3107 times)

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
Long Story Short...
« on: April 25, 2011, 11:46:02 AM »
So I got fired because I couldn't work a certain day because of religious/family reasons, and now I've also discovered I need to also get my valve in my engine fixed for about $120 and can't for the life of me figure out how to afford to take my certification exam for my Pharmacy stuff (it's $100 to take the test).

Any advice or ideas guys? I don't have anything left to sell and I'm pretty stumped.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
Re: Long Story Short...
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 12:27:27 PM »
If you don't have a job right now, do you need your car fixed immediately? I'd say the pharmacy test would be more important.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 12:32:52 PM »
If you don't have a job right now, do you need your car fixed immediately? I'd say the pharmacy test would be more important.

I have to pay insurance/for food/other bills so I need a car to get to work. Unfortunately I'm not in an area that has public transportation or walking-distance work.

Offline LeeHarveyKennedy

• Who is posting?
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Oh my God, LHK is posting! How can that be?
Re: Ernest Hemmingway all up in this hizzy!
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 12:34:08 PM »
No, this is a long story short: "For sale: Baby shoes. Never worn."
HOLY MARY MOTHER OF GOD!!!!!  THIS is why LHK is the President of Awesome.

Why is everything you post the best thing ever said?  :lol

LHK is beyond EPIC.
 :hefdaddy

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 12:35:22 PM »
Or how about this:  It's a sled.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 01:28:43 PM »
....Um, 'kay, thanks guys..

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 01:33:50 PM »
Typically, when you get hired, they disclose which holidays you may be required to work. I don't know the circumstances, but if you agreed to that as a condition, it may have been better to work.

Anyway, how far do you live from the place you have to take your test at?
Listen! Do you smell something?

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 01:37:01 PM »
I'm with sigz, the pharmacy test is a long term payoff, whereas the car might wait till you can get another job.  Minute to minute stress may be trying, but look to the long term.

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 03:08:14 PM »
Typically, when you get hired, they disclose which holidays you may be required to work. I don't know the circumstances, but if you agreed to that as a condition, it may have been better to work.

Anyway, how far do you live from the place you have to take your test at?

It wasn't on a holiday, so that doesn't apply to me at least. The test isn't too far, about 15 to 20 miles away.
I'm with sigz, the pharmacy test is a long term payoff, whereas the car might wait till you can get another job.  Minute to minute stress may be trying, but look to the long term.

Yeah, but without a job how do I managed the $100 for the test? I just feel stuck. :sadpanda:

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 03:14:04 PM »
Sorry if this sounds weird but... I've seen pictures of you having tea with your family. Is there much of a problem to ask them to lend you money? It's a start, but you'll pay them back, right?

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 03:42:59 PM »
Sorry if this sounds weird but... I've seen pictures of you having tea with your family. Is there much of a problem to ask them to lend you money? It's a start, but you'll pay them back, right?

Not weird at all. (We always have free certificates and stuff like that for those sort of things)

They just flat-out won't.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2011, 05:47:53 PM »
I'd check your contract and see if you were unfairly dismissed.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2011, 06:04:12 PM »
I'm just going to ask this question, because I've wondered it before when you've made threads like this. I know this is probably none of my business. So, if it's something you'd rather not answer, please ignore me. I only ask because it's highly relevant to the topic at hand and you're open with us about your troubles and whatnot, sooo...

You're younger than I am. Do you not have your parents to rely on in situations like this?

Edit: Well, never mind, I was beaten to it. That blows that they won't help you.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2011, 07:07:25 PM »
I'm just going to ask this question, because I've wondered it before when you've made threads like this. I know this is probably none of my business. So, if it's something you'd rather not answer, please ignore me. I only ask because it's highly relevant to the topic at hand and you're open with us about your troubles and whatnot, sooo...

You're younger than I am. Do you not have your parents to rely on in situations like this?

Edit: Well, never mind, I was beaten to it. That blows that they won't help you.

That's no biggie hun. But yeah, I'm on my own.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2011, 07:30:18 PM »
You ever think about waiting tables?  It's a fairly easy job to find, especially for someone who is personable and attractive such as yourseelf, lower end restaurants usually will hire with little or no experience, and it is cash on hand.

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2011, 07:48:02 PM »
You ever think about waiting tables?  It's a fairly easy job to find, especially for someone who is personable and attractive such as yourseelf, lower end restaurants usually will hire with little or no experience, and it is cash on hand.

I'll see if I can find anything. Thanks hun.  :heart

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2011, 07:58:16 PM »

I'll see if I can find anything. Thanks hun.  :heart

For real. And you seem like such a sweet girl (sounds like ass-kissing but saying for the sake of the post) that you'll get some good tips. It pays very well from what my friends tell me.

And I trust my friends.

Except LHK.

But he's not my friend.

Just some guy who wants to sleep in my bed.

Freak

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2011, 08:02:07 PM »
Even at places like Applebees and Chili's, one can still walk with a c-note in a night, and you still have the daytime to look for longer term employment.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2011, 09:17:26 PM »

Not weird at all. (We always have free certificates and stuff like that for those sort of things)

They just flat-out won't.
:( I understand.

And yeah, waiting is great pay (at least that was my experience).

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2011, 09:24:03 PM »
So I got fired because I couldn't work a certain day because of religious/family reasons
Did you make sure that someone was covering the shift? Or did you just not show up for a shift you'd been scheduled for?

Chris

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2011, 05:51:11 AM »
Im confused.

You got fired.

You have expenses.

You don't have a job to pay for your expenses.

You don't need the car fixed if you're not going anywhere.

cancel the insurance, sell the car, and take the bus. Car's are a privilege not a right.  If there's an adequate transportation system in your city, use it. I didn't get my first car until I was 28.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2011, 06:14:52 AM »
So I got fired because I couldn't work a certain day because of religious/family reasons
Did you make sure that someone was covering the shift? Or did you just not show up for a shift you'd been scheduled for?

Chris

Yep, someone covered it and everything. They approved and didn't say anything about it.

Turns out they're firing a ton of my co-workers for no reason. They just fired a girl who'd been there for years because she couldn't work a day they schedule her because of school. They didn't care that she found someone to cover her shift.

Im confused.

You got fired.

You have expenses.

You don't have a job to pay for your expenses.

You don't need the car fixed if you're not going anywhere.

cancel the insurance, sell the car, and take the bus. Car's are a privilege not a right.  If there's an adequate transportation system in your city, use it. I didn't get my first car until I was 28.

No transportation for me to take. There aren't any buses or anything near my house.

Plus I'd need a way of getting to work. I can't just not work since I've got a ton of crap to pay for.

I think I'm gonna see if anywhere nearby will hire me. Hopefully my car can wait a little while longer. And then as soon as I can afford it I'll take my pharmacy test.

Offline Logical Nightmare

• DTF.org Member
  • YAAAY! awww...
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2011, 08:51:01 AM »
I don't know about the distances you're travelling, but have you thought of getting a bike? It's slower but it'll get you there. You can get a crappy one really cheap from somewhere, a friend or a second hand shop of some kind, maybe.

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2011, 10:15:42 AM »
Yep, someone covered it and everything. They approved and didn't say anything about it.

Turns out they're firing a ton of my co-workers for no reason. They just fired a girl who'd been there for years because she couldn't work a day they schedule her because of school. They didn't care that she found someone to cover her shift.
I see. Sounds like they're trying to downsize without making it seem like they are.

Although, if the reason given for your firing was not being at a shift that they approved someone else to cover, you might have a case to sue them for wrongful termination. On the other hand, it would be a "your word against theirs" and the person who covered the shift might be less likely to back you up in court if they were hoping to keep their job themselves...

Chris

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2011, 06:09:28 PM »
So I got fired because I couldn't work a certain day because of religious/family reasons, and now I've also discovered I need to also get my valve in my engine fixed for about $120 and can't for the life of me figure out how to afford to take my certification exam for my Pharmacy stuff (it's $100 to take the test).

Any advice or ideas guys? I don't have anything left to sell and I'm pretty stumped.

Maybe try filing for unemployment? I'm not sure you can but it's something you could look into.

Also what's wrong with your car, can you give specifics of valve?

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2011, 05:47:36 PM »
Stop buying Phantom Of The Oprah crap. Save your money.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2011, 06:48:51 PM »
:lol

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2011, 12:42:53 AM »
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2011, 06:10:06 PM »
Thanks guys