Author Topic: [Music] Opeth - Watershed  (Read 3773 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
[Music] Opeth - Watershed
« on: June 06, 2009, 10:38:40 AM »
Reviewed By: Nicholas R. Andreas
Artist: Opeth
Album: Watershed
Genre: Progressive Metal
Year of Release: 2008
On Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Watershed-Opeth/dp/B0018CWWFK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1244306301&sr=8-1

My first major exposure to Opeth was on the inaugural run of Mike Portnoy’s Progressive Nation tour.  On back to back nights I was able to see live what Opeth had to offer, and my conclusions from those shows are very similar to my reactions from the first full length album of theirs I’ve come to own, their 2008 release Watershed.

The album opens with what I believe exemplifies all the best qualities of the band. The song “Coil” features beautiful acoustic guitar melodies that drift the listener through moody and atmospheric sections led by the excellent clean voice of vocalist Mikael Akerfeldt, and the guest female part of Nathalie Lorichs. From there the album makes a major jump in style as it leads to what I’ve come to understand is a fan and live favorite, “Heir Apparent”. Personally I’ve always found growling best used sparingly, and for the emotional punch of a song. That said I’ve never found a reason for growling to be used throughout an entire song, or even for most of one as it tends to ruin the beauty and melody of what can often be a wonderful piece of music. “Heir Apparent” is no exception. Growling aside it features some of the best heavier moments on the album. Often segued by acoustic pieces it probably would have been my favorite track on the album had Mikael chosen to sing the song. “The Lotus Eater” best exemplifies why Mikael should use his clean voice more often. Verses are sung half and half between clean and growling and I can’t help but feel the song is completely lost once he makes the transition. The song does feature what it probably the best instrumental breakdown on the album.

The fourth track, “Burden”, is for me the highlight of the album. Much like “Coil” it shows off what I find to be Opeth’s most appealing qualities. Beautiful vocals, atmospheric bliss, and an appropriate and excellent guitar solo. “Porcelain Heart” shows a very nice middle of the road Opeth. Light at times and somewhat heavier at others you almost forget about the guitars at times as they blend into the near perfect background. When we get to “Hussian Peel” I can’t say much more then I did for “Heir Apparent”, great when there is no growling. The album ends with the song “Hex Omega”, a mellow and brooding piece that sums up the emotion and atmosphere of the album very well.

At the end of the day I can say that if you enjoy growling, you’re probably going to love this album, and if you don’t you are still in for a treat. Even during their heavier moments Opeth often found ways to create soundscapes that you will not hear replicated by many other bands. I am often impressed with how well the keyboards and guitars mold with each other to create a thick and vibrant background. The ability to be soft or heavy, aggressive or restrained, all while performing in front of an atmospheric and soothing background is very difficult to do. Of the points I take off little is for the music, and most is simply for the growling that often destroys otherwise fantastic music.

Nick’s Rating: 7/10
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline InTheNameOfGod

• PoS>All
Re: [Music] Opeth - Watershed
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 05:35:56 PM »
Good review. I personally love Mike's growls.

I'd give it a 9/10. Probably my favourite album of 2008.

Nothing Opeth do seems to disappoint me. 

Still Life for me, is a 10/10 album, and I don't give them out too often!
Currently listening to:

Anathema - We're Here Because We're Here *****
Kamelot - Poetry For The Poisoned **
Les Discrets - Septembre Et Ses Dernières Pensées ***1/2
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing *****
Symphony X - The Odyssey ****1/2

Sweat, skin, a pulse divine to balance this restless mind.

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 02:44:18 PM »
Personally I’ve always found growling best used sparingly, and for the emotional punch of a song. That said I’ve never found a reason for growling to be used throughout an entire song, or even for most of one as it tends to ruin the beauty and melody of what can often be a wonderful piece of music.
Very good review, as always. This section expresses my opinion on growls perfectly. They have a much nicer effect when used in the appropiate moments. But when they´re used throughout an entire song (or, woe of me, an entire album) often detracts from the music. Songs without vocal melodies =  :tdwn

Mikael´s growls are not the best I´ve heard, but they´re still pretty good. But his clean voice is deep, powerful and awesome, and fits Opeth`s moody music so perfectly that most of the time I wish he never makes the transition into growls.

Offline Jamariquay

• When in Rome...
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 09:27:44 PM »
All I can say is that Opeth is the band that took me from being on the fence re: growls to absolutely loving them. The Drapery Falls and Ghost Of Perdition were, as I recall, the tracks largely responsible for the shift.

Keep giving the growls a chance. There's a lot to like there if/when they ever do click for ya.

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 08:28:27 PM »
Not the band to listen to for somebody who doesn't like growls or merely puts up with them...  And if that's the case, you oughtn't hold it against them.  Mikael is the best and most powerful growler I've heard.  I think there are too few growls on this album, personally.  I come from a death metal background; I began listening to them as a death metal band before I even knew what progressive music was.

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
  • Living in the pupil of 1,000 eyes.
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 10:59:07 AM »
Keep giving the growls a chance. There's a lot to like there if/when they ever do click for ya.

This.  I love growls if they're done right, and with Opeth they're always done right.