Author Topic: Being Scammed At A Local McDonalds...  (Read 51397 times)

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
Being Scammed At A Local McDonalds...
« on: April 22, 2011, 08:11:56 AM »
So every once in awhile I stop at Mcdonalds on my lunch break when I'm in a hurry and didn't bring anything for lunch.
I order a double cheeseburger and a small fry and it comes out to $2.43 with tax. I went a couple weeks ago and paid with a $5 dollar bill and was handed back $2.32 for change. I drove away and said, I was shortchanged a quarter?
So a week later I go back and order the same thing and pay with a 5. Once again I receive $2.32 back instead of the $2.57 I should have. It was the same young Black male on the register. I thought is this kid stupid, or ripping people off? I was annoyed.
Yesterday I went back for the third time in about 3 weeks and ordered the same thing once more. I hear the kid say, "2.43 please". So I pull up to the window thinking, this kid better hand me back the right change or I'm gonna lose it.
I hand him a 5 and he hands me back my change. I look in my hand and see once again I am a quarter short. I say loudly to the closed window... "HEY!"
He opens the window and I look at him and say.."THIS IS THE THIRD FUCKING TIME IN 3 TRIES YOU SHORTCHANGED ME EXACTLY A QUARTER! EITHER YOUR FUCKING STUPID, OR SOMETHING ELSE IS GOING ON HERE! WHAT THE FUCK IS UP WITH YOU!" He panics and says, "I gave you the quarter sir, you dropped it on the ground I swear." I told him, no I did not. I would know if I dropped change out of my hand? I didn't. He says I gave it to you sir. I said, "just give me the fucking quarter now!"
I was so pissed when I drove off it stayed with me. I called this morning and told them they might want to watch this kid cause he is scamming his customers by shortchanging them. I also told his manager that when I called him on it, he panicked and said I dropped the quarter and when I asked him for  another quarter, he produced it immediately. I happen to know you can't open your drawer unless you are making a transaction without a manager. She said, you are correct, you can not. She asked for my name and number and I declined. I said, take my information as credible or don't but this kid is robbing people and he won't get caught because his drawer will never even come up short.
She thanked me repeatedly and said there will be a conversation with her superior about it.
I hope that asshole gets what he deserves.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline jsem

Re: Being Scammed At A Local McDonalds...
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 08:13:56 AM »
Not good business for McDonalds. They can easily fire him and get some one new, there's plenty of workforce out there.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 08:15:59 AM »
I hope the fire the mutherfocker, but first force him to eat McNuggets until they come out his ears.

'Cause that would be funny.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 08:20:31 AM »
I think you handled that quite well.  I mean 3 times with the same outcome is very suspicious.  Really, if he short changes every customer by that much and pockets it, that would really add up at the end of a shift.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 08:21:27 AM »
That's got to be what he's doing.  Palming a quarter each time there's more than just a few coins, knowing that most people will just pocket it without counting it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 08:23:33 AM »
That's it.  I mean, when I go through the drive through, I put the note in my wallet and chuck the coins in the console, never taking notice how much is there.  The kid was stupid, if here were smart, he would have apologized and given you a quarter, then continued ripping off more people.  Would have been interesting to see what happened the time after that.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 08:24:40 AM »
That's got to be what he's doing.  Palming a quarter each time there's more than just a few coins, knowing that most people will just pocket it without counting it.
Exactly. People drive off and usually throw there change in a cupholder.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 08:26:47 AM »
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 08:34:09 AM »
:lol :lol :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 08:34:35 AM »
:rollin :rollin
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 08:47:36 AM »
I wouldn't go back to that McDonalds unless you like spit burgers.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2011, 08:52:29 AM »
SO YOU LIKE STEALING QUARTERS, HUH

WELL GUESS WHAT, HOW WOULD YOU LIKE IT IF I SAT HERE AND MADE YOU SMOKE AN ENTIRE CARTON OF CIGARETTES

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2011, 08:58:11 AM »
I personally wouldn't have freaked out like you did. Is getting ripped off 75 cents really the end of the world? Just politely ask next time, and maybe you wouldn't get such an attitude back. If I were the kid and you freaked out on me over a quarter, I would have probably laughed in your face. (not saying I condone his actions, or that I'd do it myself)
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2011, 09:01:46 AM »
Yeah, yelling and cursing at him is not a good way to handle it, but if he was stealing, at least he possibly got exposed.  

But not sure being able to open the drawer is a reason for them to prove he was stealing and thus fire him.  If he has a brain in his head, he'd just say, "Well, I did give him the quarter, and he dropped it, but when he flipped out and started cursing at him, accusing me of stealing it, I gave him one out of my pocket instead of wasting his time with having to go find the manager and have the drawer opened for a quarter."  I mean, if no one else has complained that they are getting shorted out of money, they probably won't have grounds to fire him if he says something along those lines.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2011, 09:07:02 AM »
Yeah, personally, if I were the manager, I'd call security and have you barred from ever eating at my McDonalds again. Not because you were wrong, but because, as a manager, no-one treats my employees like that. There are far more respectable ways to handle it and, frankly, screaming obscenities at an employee makes you look like a nutjob, wrong or right.

I'm not a manager, by the way, but have worked in retail before and have seen things like this. I always admired managers who'd stick up for their employees against customers who were screaming at them, justified or not.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2011, 09:16:00 AM »
Yeah, personally, if I were the manager, I'd call security and have you barred from ever eating at my McDonalds again. Not because you were wrong, but because, as a manager, no-one treats my employees like that. There are far more respectable ways to handle it and, frankly, screaming obscenities at an employee makes you look like a nutjob, wrong or right.

I'm not a manager, by the way, but have worked in retail before and have seen things like this. I always admired managers who'd stick up for their employees against customers who were screaming at them, justified or not.

Right or wrong how tick handled it, the kid was in the wrong and a manager never attacks a customer like you've said.  He politely asks the customer to calm down and quietly looks into the kid.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2011, 09:24:56 AM »

Right or wrong how tick handled it, the kid was in the wrong and a manager never attacks a customer like you've said.  He politely asks the customer to calm down and quietly looks into the kid.

I actually agree with PC here.  Calling security is not attacking a customer.  Thinking about this from the manager's point of view, if a customer is willing to scream and yell obscenities at one of my employees over a quarter, what happens if next time he thinks someone shorted him out of a dollar?  Not saying tick would necessarily get violent, but if you're the manager, you don't know him.  All you know is a customer is screaming and yelling at one of your employees over a quarter.  Every customer is not worth saving.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2011, 09:26:33 AM »
Was it really necessary to point out that it was a "young black male"? Would it had made a difference if it was a young white male?
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2011, 09:28:24 AM »
what are you saying about young white males dimi

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2011, 09:28:33 AM »

Right or wrong how tick handled it, the kid was in the wrong and a manager never attacks a customer like you've said.  He politely asks the customer to calm down and quietly looks into the kid.

This, except we don't know for the sure the kid was in the wrong.  I mean, that scenario Kev presented is always possible.  And if he was in the right, you can't fault him for being nervous/panicky when you've got a guy screaming at you.  But hopefully everything will be resolved and he'll learn a lesson from this if he was indeed swindling you.

And to go on a bit of a tangent because of Kev's point in the last post, Southwest Airlines is famous for putting its employees even before the customers.  That kind of enthusiasm and commitment translates to a positive experience for the customer because they believe in how great their employer is.  Its a good policy that more companies should try to adopt.  

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2011, 09:29:10 AM »
Was it really necessary to point out that it was a "young black male"? Would it had made a difference if it was a young white male?

he was up to his knees in zero calories

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2011, 09:31:06 AM »
I can speak from personal experience that employees usually have little to no respect for management that drops to their knees every time a customer complains about any and everything and throws their employees under the bus every single time, simply to satisfy each and every customer.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2011, 09:32:49 AM »
That's why the manager would look into it.  Either way, if the kid was doing it, he's scared off because he's in the manager's crosshairs or he's dumb enough to continue doing it and he will be caught.  Either way it will be resolved.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2011, 09:36:36 AM »
I can speak from personal experience that employees usually have little to no respect for management that drops to their knees every time a customer complains about any and everything and throws their employees under the bus every single time, simply to satisfy each and every customer.

This. Kev is never wrong.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2011, 09:37:12 AM »

Taking quarters from hard working customers to put toward their fountain pen and paper fund.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2011, 09:38:37 AM »

Taking quarters from hard working customers to put toward their fountain pen and paper fund.

I use my quarter profits for buying dank nugs to smoke with sloppy bitches

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2011, 09:39:16 AM »

Just so they can go an make a internet comic and sell T-shirts that never get to their destination on time.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2011, 09:39:38 AM »

I use my quarter profits for buying dank nugs to smoke with sloppy bitches

Fuck yeah bro you wanna go hit up 711 later and fuck some slushies and drink some hos?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2011, 09:41:24 AM »

Yeah, that's what I was getting it. Best thing to do, from a customer's pov, is to politely ask to see a manager and then pull him aside quietly to explain the situation.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2011, 09:44:04 AM »

Taking a concern  and being fair to both isn't wrong.  It's how you handle it.  I never said to take the customer's side, but you have to handle the situation with a firm but calming nature to both sides.

Me personally would as tick now to swear at my employees and ask him to calmly explain the situation,

The kid I would pull into my office and tell him I hope he wasn't doing what the customer said and that as long as he did his job, he'd be ok.  But I'd let him know I'd have to look into it which would let me see if the customer was full of it or there was something to it.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2011, 11:04:34 AM »

Much has been written about "the customer's always right" being one of the worst business maxims ever invented.  Bad customers aren't worth keeping and good employees are hard to come by.  If you're in a business where customers are expensive to create, then there are ways to handle the situation to keep the good ones, lose the bad ones, and still stick up for your employee, who nine times out of ten did nothing wrong. 

I work for a company who will always side with the customer, and it's annoying as fuck.  I understand why they do it, and in our case, customers actually are pretty expensive to obtain, so I don't let it bother me.  However, since I understand that there's is the most simpleminded of practices,  I'm not exactly filled with respect when we give customers shit for free.  The way I see it, taking the counter-intuitive approach and telling a customer to fuck off falls under "advanced business strategy,"  and as we all know, I think the average guy is a moron.  Most people will do the intuitive thing and bend over any time a customer threatens them.  In the end, they get stuck with customers who are only there because they know they can push people around, and employees with no work ethic left since it just doesn't matter anymore.  Learning to handle both good and bad customers intelligently is beyond the scope of the average manager.

As for Tick, I would have taken his side anyway, just because nobody's going to make that kind of scene over a quarter.  If he'd said he got shorted $5 it would have been a different story.  That sounds more like a crappy customer trying to rip me off, but freaking out of a quarter is clearly more of a principle than a scam.

Southwest Airlines is famous for putting its employees even before the customers.  That kind of enthusiasm and commitment translates to a positive experience for the customer because they believe in how great their employer is.  Its a good policy that more companies should try to adopt. 
Herb's a pretty neat guy for a variety of reasons, and I certainly approve of his policy there,  but to be fair, SWA will have no problem getting customers for a variety of reasons, so it's really a different situation.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline darkshade

« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2011, 11:36:18 AM »
I got charged for 2 10 piece nuggets instead of a 20 piece, which is a 2 or 3 dollar difference, when I ordered a 20 piece. I didnt realize it until after I ate them, and complained and got 20 pieces for free :neverusethis:

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2011, 11:44:14 AM »
While tick could've reacted less, he was right to do what he did. As was already stated, quarters can add up.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2011, 12:12:55 PM »
Reminds me of a comedian I once saw (can't remember who it was) that was talking about fast food workers, and described a black guy working at McDonalds with this dialogue:

"Hey man! Why ya'll got me working fries today? You know I can't make no money if I ain't workin' the register."   :lol
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2011, 03:23:08 PM »
The amount of underlying racism in this thread from some of our most senior members is really disheartening.
space cadet, pull out.