Author Topic: And this is why I hate people sometimes  (Read 5012 times)

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
And this is why I hate people sometimes
« on: April 18, 2011, 11:20:39 AM »
Yesterday, I driving on my merry way to work when my car started to shake violently. It was equivalent to what a earthquake might feel like, though i've never experienced an earthquake before (I live in what can be sunny Orlando, Florida), so I'll have my memories of the old Universal Studios attraction, Earthquake, to help describe the shake of my car while I was driving it on a busy highway.

Well, as the shaking was going on, my engine service light came on, and I was like fuck, now I need to call in for the day at work. There was no way I was driving that car the rest of the way. So i called my insurance company for road side service. The tow truck came, and got my car. The Tires Plus garage I trust with my life was closed for the day, but they went ahead with the paperwork and put my car into the garage for the night. I was hoping and praying that it was just some sort of fucked up hose that was an easy fix.

Weeelllllllll

I got a call this morning as I was having breakfast at Cracker Barrel with a friend from the Tires Plus, saying that there wasn't enough pressure coming into the cylinder valve because....

Some fucking idiot put sugar into my gas tank, which was making things carmalized. What was estimated for the cost of repair for the entire thing was around $3,800

Why the hell would someone do that??? My mom and I aren't doing so hot financially. I mean, fuck, Im a 24 year old recent college graduate who is doing an unpaid career internship. I cannot afford this shit. And with how much it has to be repaired, I might as well get a new car, but oh wait, I DONT HAVE THE MONEY FOR THAT EITHER

Dude, seriously, fuck people. I'm pissed right now. I'm currently waiting to hear from my insurance company to see what they cover in vandalism.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
Re: And this is why I hate people sometimes
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 11:24:17 AM »
Won't your insurance cover this, as its obviously an act of vandalism?
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 11:29:58 AM »
What kind of car is it?

Other options are to put a used engine into it if it's an older car with little value, or having an enthusiast rebuild it for you for about a third of what a professional garage will charge.  The world's full of people who can rebuild an engine, and only a handful of them work at a garage that charges $80 an hour.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 11:31:40 AM »

I'm currently on hold to hear from them to see if they do, which they should. I don't see any reason why they shouldn't.

What kind of car is it?.

2003 Pontiac Grand Am

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 11:44:07 AM »
I'll bet you could find a Grand Prix that some dumbfuck teenager rolled 17 times with a great, low mileage engine to put in there.  Cost you a grand and provide a nice increase in performance.  That's assuming of course that the fine folks at Allstate don't take care of you. 

Out of curiosity, do they still have that horrible problem where when you roll down the rear windows, the air buffets around in the car and makes everybody nauseous or did they fix that?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 11:52:31 AM »
Hmm, there are still cars with non-lockable gas tanks?
Whatever: that sucks big time, dude...!  >:(

Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 12:12:09 PM »
bummer, that car would have lasted a while.

Someone did that to my dad's chevette once..it completely fucks an engine.
Amazing really.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 02:45:40 PM »
That's fucked up.  I hope you can find the dude and beat the shit out of him.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • ţađ besta sem guđ hefur skapađ er nýr dagur

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 04:48:51 PM »
2003 Pontiac Grand Am

Whoa, same exact car I have! What color is yours?

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 06:20:22 PM »
I knew this thread will be about driving or cars before I hovered the cursor over it.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 11:09:11 PM »
Just lost my job...and my car. Hope that makes you feel better. You could always commute by bike or public transport for awhile. I don't know how far your job is, but riding a bike will make you feel good, especially in sunny Florida.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2011, 11:16:01 PM »

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2011, 11:24:03 PM »
Either you have an blood fued, or (more likely) a case of mistaken identity and someone like a pissed off girl who got cheated on by someone who drives the kind and color car as you wanted revenge.  Grand Ams are pretty common cars.  Either way, sucks man. 

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2011, 06:57:02 AM »
Could have just been a simple prank by someone not knowing how bad sugar in a the gas tank is. I mean, one time I took a match and used the head to write on my friends car. Turns out the match head really takes off the paint. So now his car says "DICKS" permanently. Or until he's smart enough to get a little jar of touch up paint.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2011, 07:40:55 AM »
Not everyone knows about sugar in the gas tank, but everyone I know who's heard about it knows that it totally fucks up the engine and fuel system.  I'm not saying it wasn't just a prank, but putting sugar in someone's gas tank just doesn't seem like something you'd do for a prank because you get no feedback.  Wouldn't you want to see the results?  Also, pranks are usually relatively harmless.  Sugar in a gas tank is damned destructive.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2011, 07:56:59 AM »
Locking gas caps are nice to have. Only problem is, they don't always seal well enough on all cars and then the engine light stays on.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2011, 08:12:54 AM »
Not everyone knows about sugar in the gas tank, but everyone I know who's heard about it knows that it totally fucks up the engine and fuel system.  I'm not saying it wasn't just a prank, but putting sugar in someone's gas tank just doesn't seem like something you'd do for a prank because you get no feedback.  Wouldn't you want to see the results?  Also, pranks are usually relatively harmless.  Sugar in a gas tank is damned destructive.

To a degree, yeah. But I mean I honestly didn't know sugar in the gas tank would be as  bad as OP is saying. I mean, it makes sense when you think about it. But were it not for this thread, I probably wouldn't have known/put much thought into it.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2011, 08:18:07 AM »
My '96 Grand Am doesn't have a lockable cap, but it does have a cover that can only be opened from inside the car.  I assume the newer models at least have that.

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2011, 08:22:27 AM »
My '96 Grand Am doesn't have a lockable cap, but it does have a cover that can only be opened from inside the car.  I assume the newer models at least have that.

Mine doesn't.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2011, 08:24:06 AM »
I'm so sorry you were a victim of some complete asshole. I would be raging pissed as well. Rest assured this person will get his comeuppance for this stupid act. Why do people need to be such fools?
I hope it works out for you.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2011, 08:26:49 AM »

I would assume this

Other options are to put a used engine into it if it's an older car with little value, or having an enthusiast rebuild it for you for about a third of what a professional garage will charge.  The world's full of people who can rebuild an engine, and only a handful of them work at a garage that charges $80 an hour.

My buddy spun a bearing in his engine from not changing the oil, we swapped the changed (by we I mean me) and it wasn't as heard as thought, took a few weeks and was way cheaper than what shop wanted (essentially the cost of the car). El Barto is right, you have other options if insurance doesn't help you.

Also, when you do get your car fixed, get a filler cap with a lock on it.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2011, 01:38:39 PM »
2003 Pontiac Grand Am

Red. You?

Whatever: that sucks big time, dude...!  >:(

Yeah, mine doesn't have a lockable gas tank. It never occurred to me that I needed one until now.

So here's an update:

The final diagnosis on the car is that the carmalization in my cylinders came from sugar, in which this verdict came from three different mechanics and the insurance guy. Insurance will cover everything except we will pay a $500 deductible. At least that's better than paying the whole $3,800. If i could get a new car, we would, but we don't have money for that either. 

This project is massive. They only have one or two mechanics that is able to work on a project like this and they won't start till tomorrow morning.

From what they described to me, they have to take off the whole head, which will take them three to four hours to do. Then, they have to drop my gas tank. Flush and clean out that gas tank. Drain my oil and replace it. Drain anti-freeze and replace it. Replace oil and fuel filters. Etc, Etc, Etc.

Mom and I will determine if I need a rental car when the insurance guy comes back to inspect that car again. We should be able to get me a rental car without paying for it. I'll be without a car for at least three days, and i work two jobs, one at Disney World, and the other at a film studio downtown Orlando.

At this point, pissed is an understatement

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2011, 01:42:10 PM »
Have you involved local authorities? I would try to pursue someone for vandalism or some sort of destruction charge.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2011, 01:46:28 PM »
Have you involved local authorities? I would try to pursue someone for vandalism or some sort of destruction charge.

As soon as Geico gives the word, we will get the police involved. It's all about insurance. There's gotta be fingerprints, though

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2011, 01:49:51 PM »
You might consider having a dealership do the work.  Normally I'd never recommend dealing with those crooks, but since the insurance is paying for it, might be an option.  They might well just drop a factory rebuild into it which would be both better and faster.  

I wonder why they have to replace the oil and coolant?  Gas, oil and coolant should never be mixing at all.  Sounds like it must have done a helluva lot of damage.

I doubt cops will give a shit.  Too hard with too little reward.  Geico cares a great deal, though.  Still, there's not much they'll be able to do, either. 
E.F. Benson

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2011, 04:16:41 PM »
2003 Pontiac Grand Am

Red. You?

Gray...when I am making the good money I'm gonna get it painted (especially since our nice Florida sun has eaten at the paint). I wish I had known about turtle wax sooner.

Praying for ya mang