Author Topic: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer  (Read 661012 times)

Offline IdoSC

Re: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer
« Reply #3150 on: April 29, 2011, 04:01:00 PM »
Perhaps this has been mentioned before, but I'm hoping that some of the "jamming" material and the riffs from the auditions end up on the next DT album.  
I think it was all exclusively formed for the auditions. But don't worry, the guys can jam again and again :P

Offline Wildoer

• Forum VIP
« Reply #3151 on: April 29, 2011, 04:02:19 PM »
Hey there!

Just got back home. Re-watched the video, what an amazing last episode. Once again congratulations to MM!!!

THANKS TO ALL OF YOU for your kind words, means a lot to me!!!  :heart  I've been reading through all the posts here briefly and I'm sorry if I don't answer if you had any specific questions but please post them and I'll try to answer asap.

One thing I remember someone asked is when we got the notification. All drummers talked to the DT guys on the same day, that's when you can see MM and me talking on the phone getting our decisions (his a bit different than mine  ;)  ), and that was on November 5th.

Cheers and it's been cool hanging out here at DTF and I'm looking forward to more interesting discussions.

Offline D_Halco

« Reply #3152 on: April 29, 2011, 04:04:24 PM »
Loved the documentary and enjoyed all seven drummers!  They all seem like genuinely good people, and are obviously an uber-talented bunch, but I am very excited that Mangini got the job (Even though I was hoping for Marco as well)!

Very well put together and enjoyable from start to finish, thanks DT and Roadrunner!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3153 on: April 29, 2011, 04:05:09 PM »
@Peter:  Regarding the notification, was everything that we saw about that spontaneous?  Or were you told, and then they did a conversation with the cameras rolling as if it was the first time you heard when you actually already knew?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Nighthawkwill7

• Purveyor of All Things Laser-Guided
« Reply #3154 on: April 29, 2011, 04:05:23 PM »
Hey there!

Just got back home. Re-watched the video, what an amazing last episode. Once again congratulations to MM!!!

THANKS TO ALL OF YOU for your kind words, means a lot to me!!!  :heart  I've been reading through all the posts here briefly and I'm sorry if I don't answer if you had any specific questions but please post them and I'll try to answer asap.

One thing I remember someone asked is when we got the notification. All drummers talked to the DT guys on the same day, that's when you can see MM and me talking on the phone getting our decisions (his a bit different than mine  ;)  ), and that was on November 5th.

Cheers and it's been cool hanging out here at DTF and I'm looking forward to more interesting discussions.

Thank You for all the updates and giving us an insider's perspective on the whole auditioning process :)
Also, After listening to some of Darkane's material I just wanted to say that you've earned yourself another fan Mr Wildoer!

Keep on rocking and best regards  :metal

-William

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #3155 on: April 29, 2011, 04:05:52 PM »
can RR please release MM playing one of the three songs in its entirety? PLEASE
I hope if they do release a DVD of this, it has all 3 song performances by everyone! I'm especially intrigued to hear Lang's TDoE.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3156 on: April 29, 2011, 04:07:14 PM »
Perhaps this has been mentioned before, but I'm hoping that some of the "jamming" material and the riffs from the auditions end up on the next DT album.  

I agree except for the riff that JR showed us on his piano. Just seemed too..................stocky, like it's the same riff they've been soloing over for a while now.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Wildoer

• Forum VIP
« Reply #3157 on: April 29, 2011, 04:21:38 PM »
@Peter:  Regarding the notification, was everything that we saw about that spontaneous?  Or were you told, and then they did a conversation with the cameras rolling as if it was the first time you heard when you actually already knew?

Yes, everything was spontaneous. No re-takes or additional takes. That very day all drummers got specific times when to call in. At that point we had just changed to winter time here in Sweden, turning the clock back one hour that is. Suddenly my mobile phone rang and there were Frank, the DT manager. He said "so what's up Peter, when are you calling?". We figured out that since they hadn't changed for winter time in the US I was one hour late here. So my phone time had to be shorter.  :(

Afterwards I got mails from both JLB and JP, because of the shorter phone time, telling me that they had a great time at my audition, so thanks to them!

Thank You for all the updates and giving us an insider's perspective on the whole auditioning process :)
Also, After listening to some of Darkane's material I just wanted to say that you've earned yourself another fan Mr Wildoer!

Keep on rocking and best regards  :metal

-William

Cooooooool William, thanks for checking us (Darkane) out!!!

Another cool thing was that after we had played through the first song ANTR, Frank, their manager, asked me if I was cool. I said that I needed some water and he brought some bottles for me. When he put them on the floor by my floor tom he leaned over and whispered "You f***ing nailed it Peter". That was a reliefe to say the least!  :biggrin:

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3158 on: April 29, 2011, 04:21:49 PM »
First of all, big congratulations to Mike Mangini - I'm very happy with him being in Dream Theater. I was sure the guys picked the right guy, I had no doubt about it, but seeing the documentary made me realize he really is the best fit. Marco also did a fantastic job, I'd be fine with him as well, although his goofiness maybe wouldn't work too well live.  :smiley: As you can see, I'm trying hard to see why Mike appealed more to me than Marco.  :P

Priester was great, I was truly impressed with his drumming - I honestly have no idea why some people around here flamed him. I wasn't familiar with him at all, but after reading comments around here, I thought he was a joke of a drummer. But no, he kicks some serious ass. Amazing player.

As for Peter... Definitely my favorite right behind Mike and Marco. That was just mindblowing. I mean, Peter, you made John Myung smile, and that's saying a lot.  :hefdaddy

Everything's pretty much said already, huge congratulations to everybody who auditioned. Mike Mangini, welcome to Dream Theater, and have a good run.  :tup

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #3159 on: April 29, 2011, 04:23:47 PM »
Did anyone notice Peter's t-shirt when he received the call from the band?
"More Cowbell"   :lol :lol

Offline Adami

« Reply #3160 on: April 29, 2011, 04:25:33 PM »
Well since I lead the charge against Priester, I'd like to say something about his part of the documentary. I still don't think he's near the DT caliber. However that video made me really like and respect him as a human being. I felt so bad for him when he did his slip up and I just wanted the band to be like "You know what? We're playing it again" just to see him nail it. I am surprised and happy that he nailed as much as he did, and the dedication and preparation he put into it was commendable.

Two thumbs up from me, to Mr. Priester.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline CrimsonE

« Reply #3161 on: April 29, 2011, 04:26:56 PM »
I'll admit I was skeptical when I first heard the name Mike Mangini floating around, because the only project I heard he was involved with was Extreme--a very good band, but not quite the same pedigree as DT.  Then I saw his audition and looked up the variety of work he has done, and I must say he seems to be a great fit for the band.  Let's hope the chemistry we saw in the audition continues live.

Welcome aboard Mike.  
In the heart of your most solemn barren night
When your souls turn inside out
Have you questioned all the madness you invite?
What your life is all about

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #3162 on: April 29, 2011, 04:39:10 PM »
I really enjoyed all three episodes and was extremely impressed with all the auditions and especially the criteria used by DT to test each player.  Congrats to Mike Mangini !!

@Peter:  You definitely deserved to be in the top 3 choices.  I love your playing and vocals on James latest solo record and I look forward to checking out some Darkane as well.  Keep up the great work!

:tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Wildoer

• Forum VIP
« Reply #3163 on: April 29, 2011, 04:49:44 PM »
Did anyone notice Peter's t-shirt when he received the call from the band?
"More Cowbell"   :lol :lol

:tup I bought the shirt while in NYC, just had to have it. Simply love that sketch!  :rollin

@Peter:  You definitely deserved to be in the top 3 choices.  I love your playing and vocals on James latest solo record and I look forward to checking out some Darkane as well.  Keep up the great work!

:tup

Thank you soo much! Hopefully there will be more albums with James in the future.  :)

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off
« Reply #3164 on: April 29, 2011, 04:52:18 PM »
I felt so bad for him when he did his slip up and I just wanted the band to be like "You know what? We're playing it again" just to see him nail it

That was when Jordan was all like "You did a fucking great job." He sounded almost angry when he said it, but I guess he was just trying to get across to Aquiles that he shouldn't feel bad at all.

Offline FretMuppet

• DAIM that looks good!
« Reply #3165 on: April 29, 2011, 04:53:18 PM »
I felt so bad for him when he did his slip up and I just wanted the band to be like "You know what? We're playing it again" just to see him nail it

That was when Jordan was all like "You did a fucking great job." He sounded almost angry when he said it, but I guess he was just trying to get across to Aquiles that he shouldn't feel bad at all.

The way he walked up to him like a boss and said it, I thought he was gonna kill him!

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #3166 on: April 29, 2011, 04:53:27 PM »
i definitely felt bad for aquilles, i felt his disappointment when he messed up cause you know he practiced the songs so much and had the parts down but just slipped at the audition

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3167 on: April 29, 2011, 04:53:34 PM »
First off, Peter, I wouldn't say this unless I believed it (otherwise I'd just say nothing), but you were honestly my second favorite of the drummers.  I felt even more than Marco that you really got the music and the vibe.  And I liked how you handled the audition riff they showed.  While I'm happy it's Mangini, I was really impressed by what you did, so congrats and I hope this video helps you get more work.

Priester - He just wasn't on DT's level, it's really that simple, which is what a lot of people have been saying.  That said though personality-wise I appreciated him.  He clearly gave a crap and put a lot of work into it and tried to roll with the audition.

As for the process of picking the guys, it seemed like they did it the right way.  I appreciated that JM had a lot to say.  I think, though I wasn't there, that while Minnemann impressed them in the moment that as someone to carry on the DT/MP legacy he just wasn't the guy.

And so they picked Mangini.  And, just so it's out there, I absolutely 100% support the decision.  Out of the seven he was clearly the right guy for the job.  I really like his drumming and think DT will take him to the next level.  And as a fan I'm really happy they picked someone who was this committed to doing it and for the right reasons.

Because here's the thing.  Out of the other six drummers, who else would be that happy to get the gig?  Maybe Peter (I can't speak for you on this), but otherwise it just seemed like Mangini wanted it truly deeply.  And I want him to have wanted it that much.

And everything he said was just perfect and I believe he'll act on it.  While like I've said there are definitely parts of DT's music I wish that were different, I don't want a new drummer to come in and blow it up.  I want someone who will respect what MP's done.  And yet, Mangini has the maturity and awareness to know he still has to be his own guy in the band and not try to just replace him.  And, purely from the video in the documentary, I liked his playing the best.

Maybe it feels more clear to me because I wasn't a fan of Minnemann's audition in terms of how he handled DT's material, but I can't stress enough that I feel zero conflict over this.

So thank you Dream Theater for putting this out there, and I personally thank you for making the choice I loved the most.  And congratulations to Mike Mangini, you've earned it in so many ways.

As for the rest of the doc, bummer to see they clearly weren't writing with Mangini, but that's the breaks of having to keep him a secret.  Ah well.  Two notes both related to Myung:

- On the phone, he said "Hi, this is JM."  HE KNOWS OUR LANGUAGE!!!

- When talking about writing the album, he mentioned that he enjoyed the feeling of what it was like to just be with Petrucci as a kid and jam on ideas.  That was a place he said he wished he was at on the WDADRU documentary.  It's really cool to me that the writing process for this album has created a place where Myung feels comfortable again.

And thus, the doc has accomplished what it's supposed to.  I'm glad for the Portnoy years of DT, but a new chapter of DT history is here.  I feel like it's DT again, and I really want to see what this version of the band accomplishes.
Just have to quote this post because it's brilliant and absolutely spot on. Mangini was probably my third favourite of the lot, but my top 3 were so close and, frankly, he is easily the best fit for the band.

It was also so lovely seeing his reactions, and you just know how much dedication he will put in. Regarding the videos of them receiving the calls, remember that those were self-filmed. They all will have been phoned, but there won't be footage of them receiving the call unless they filmed themselves at the time.

Also, one thing that springs to mind is how great a time it is for us fans. Mangini is clearly a great fit and especially after the band's comments on the writing of the new album, it sounds very exciting. Minnemann (my personal favourite of the 7) had great chemistry with them and will hopefully work on some projects. And Wildoer (my second favourite) will, hopefully, get to work with LaBrie again!

And on that final note, Peter - I said this on facebook but want to say it here as well: your audition was actually amazing!! You might be younger than the others, but there is no doubt that you were in the top 3 for the job. Shame you didn't get it, but well done anyway and hopefully your career will still continue to get better and better from here! :)

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I actually really liked Priester, but I'm so glad he didn't get it as I don't have to eat my own face. That would have been painful.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3168 on: April 29, 2011, 04:54:46 PM »
I LOVE it when he puts on the DT cap. Such a great moment.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #3169 on: April 29, 2011, 04:56:04 PM »
I don't get the love for Mangini. He's pretty much just Mike Portnoy imo. Nothing special, nothing new.

WTF?

^ This
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off
« Reply #3170 on: April 29, 2011, 05:00:59 PM »
I LOVE it when he puts on the DT cap. Such a great moment.
I felt giddy for him when he did that.

The way he walked up to him like a boss and said it, I thought he was gonna kill him!

He was all like "LOOK AT ME. YOU DID A GREAT FUCKING JOB! CHIN UP, BUCKO!  >:( "

Offline kutya69

« Reply #3171 on: April 29, 2011, 05:01:28 PM »
At first i wasn't amused with all the suspense when they announced these videos.  Then as I watched them I grew to like them. I appreciate the band for putting these videos together and entertaining us with the whole process.....BUT....I just got home and went to the DT website to click on the link for the 3rd episode to finalize all the built up suspense ......AND DT writes who won above the link....thanks DT!  I would have liked to watch it for myself but you killed it!

Offline Adami

« Reply #3172 on: April 29, 2011, 05:02:39 PM »
At first i wasn't amused with all the suspense when they announced these videos.  Then as I watched them I grew to like them. I appreciate the band for putting these videos together and entertaining us with the whole process.....BUT....I just got home and went to the DT website to click on the link for the 3rd episode to finalize all the built up suspense ......AND DT writes who won above the link....thanks DT!  I would have liked to watch it for myself but you killed it!

You're mad that DT announced who drummer was?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jsem

« Reply #3173 on: April 29, 2011, 05:05:14 PM »
BTW Peter, a question: How is your name pronounced for real? Is it like in the video, or did you just anglicize it for that moment?

Offline FlashCE

« Reply #3174 on: April 29, 2011, 05:06:03 PM »
I would've preferred Wildoer or Minnemann, but when I saw how happy everyone in the band and Mangini were towards the end, I started tearing up because I just knew this will be the Dream Theater I love.

Offline BFRedrocks

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3175 on: April 29, 2011, 05:16:37 PM »
I'm sure it's been posted before and most people have seen it but for those newcomers who haven't, the essential Mike Mangini drum solo from the Steve Vai tour, in my opinion one of the greatest solos of all time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe8XKgOuNtk

Nice solo...too bad he has his shirt off though...it totally takes away from it.    :omg:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3176 on: April 29, 2011, 05:24:12 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00GXRzoJbiI&NR=1&feature=fvwp

Mangini playing some more straight up Rock Stuff.    :biggrin:

Offline Wildoer

• Forum VIP
« Reply #3177 on: April 29, 2011, 05:24:59 PM »
BTW Peter, a question: How is your name pronounced for real? Is it like in the video, or did you just anglicize it for that moment?

Hhmmm, I could figure out a way to do that in text?! But in this video I'm talking Swedish and at the very beginning I say my name, a bit fast though.   :lol  But then again, I like to talk fast and play those drums fast!   :metal

www.youtube.com/watch?v=PteHcjKZEE0

Offline kartmaze2

• DTF Cybernetician
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3178 on: April 29, 2011, 05:25:27 PM »
I'm sure it's been posted before and most people have seen it but for those newcomers who haven't, the essential Mike Mangini drum solo from the Steve Vai tour, in my opinion one of the greatest solos of all time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe8XKgOuNtk

A comment to the video on YouTube: "hes playin with his penis too aint he?"  :lol

Offline jsem

« Reply #3179 on: April 29, 2011, 05:27:09 PM »
Cool video too btw. Thanks for that. Keep it metal  :metal

Offline kartmaze2

• DTF Cybernetician
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3180 on: April 29, 2011, 05:30:44 PM »

Pretty fast with one hand on 2:12  :omg:
I don't know how difficult that is if you're a good drummer, but it looks crazy...

Offline Aniland

« Reply #3181 on: April 29, 2011, 05:32:38 PM »
I think it was all exclusively formed for the auditions. But don't worry, the guys can jam again and again :P

Doesn't mean the guys didn't possibly grow accustomed to the way those parts sounded. I wouldn't be surprised if they were used or recycled or something.

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3182 on: April 29, 2011, 05:35:09 PM »
EDIT: already posted.

Offline Adami

« Reply #3183 on: April 29, 2011, 05:35:47 PM »

Pretty fast with one hand on 2:12  :omg:
I don't know how difficult that is if you're a good drummer, but it looks crazy...

He's probably faster with 1 hand than alot of drummers are with two.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #3184 on: April 29, 2011, 05:41:24 PM »
I don't know what this means, but I think I'm happier about Mangini joining the band in this moment than I was sad about Portnoy leaving when it happened.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again