Author Topic: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer  (Read 663931 times)

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer
« Reply #2835 on: April 29, 2011, 09:36:09 AM »
When they called Mangini before Marco, I thought for sure that was the "you're not it, sorry" call.

Naw... like someone mentioned, you couldn't have called the #2 guy, it would have made it anti-climatic for the documentary.  Man I am sooooooo excited about the new album now.  I guess all the guys are Mets fans then like MP?  No way they could be Yankee fans and have a Boston guy.... :rollin

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #2836 on: April 29, 2011, 09:36:53 AM »
When they called Mangini before Marco, I thought for sure that was the "you're not it, sorry" call.

Wait, why did they call Marco exactly? I can't watch the video yet because I'm at work. Please fill me in.
They didn't.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #2837 on: April 29, 2011, 09:37:28 AM »
I'm stoked. I really am. This new chapter of Dream Theater will be a breath of much needed fresh air, I think. My anticipation for this album just reached sky high.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2838 on: April 29, 2011, 09:37:51 AM »

Wait, why did they call Marco exactly? I can't watch the video yet because I'm at work. Please fill me in.
They didn't.

Then what did TheMadgician mean by that?
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
« Reply #2839 on: April 29, 2011, 09:37:57 AM »

They didn't.

Or at least they didn't show his phone call. Maybe he didn't take it so well or something? I dunno.
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2840 on: April 29, 2011, 09:38:05 AM »
I am wondering why they had to wait so long to tell Mangini, and over the phone. What happened? Were they just making their minds up? They don't go into it.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2841 on: April 29, 2011, 09:38:15 AM »
I'm stoked. I really am. This new chapter of Dream Theater will be a breath of much needed fresh air, I think. My anticipation for this album just reached sky high.

That's exactly what I'm feeling right now...

Offline Aniland

« Reply #2842 on: April 29, 2011, 09:38:23 AM »
Peter, I just have to tell you that you're hot!  :o

Me too.

Offline NighthawkDrew

« Reply #2843 on: April 29, 2011, 09:38:57 AM »
Congrats to Mike Mangini, looking forward to hearing the new album!

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2844 on: April 29, 2011, 09:39:10 AM »
I thought Minnemann was the best choice, but I trust DT on the matter.  Obviously Mangini gets along well with the guys, and obviously he's ecstatic to be part of a band like DT when he's been a hired gun almost his whole life (correct me if I'm wrong...).  Hopefully he'll be able to be super creative on the new album.

And I LOVE how much JM talked in this episode, how he likened this album back to when he and JP would just bounce off ideas at their houses, and how he refers to himself as "JM."  :lol

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #2845 on: April 29, 2011, 09:39:14 AM »
This is why it wasn't the other MM: https://imgur.com/a/LYMF3

New caption thread!  :lol
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
« Reply #2846 on: April 29, 2011, 09:39:15 AM »
I will say this, while Aquiles' audition didn't look the best in some spots, I definitely enjoy him as a drummer the more I've looked into him. I also, felt really bad every time it showed him being all sad when he messed up. He seriously just looked so sad at the end of TDOE. John Petrucci was even like "Dude its THE DANCE OF ETERNITY, IT'S COOL IF IT AIN'T PERFECT BRO"

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #2847 on: April 29, 2011, 09:39:29 AM »
mangini! not a surprise really, but i'm a little upset we couldn't have them both? could we have them both? why didn't they think of that.
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2848 on: April 29, 2011, 09:39:36 AM »
I am wondering why they had to wait so long to tell Mangini, and over the phone. What happened? Were they just making their minds up? They don't go into it.

My guess would be they were making up their minds...Plus, Mangini was the first audition.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2849 on: April 29, 2011, 09:39:49 AM »

They didn't.

Of course they did.  They just didn't show it.

And once they showed Mangini praying out loud that it would be him as he was getting ready to make the call, you knew it was him.  No way would they show him like that if it wasn't him.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2850 on: April 29, 2011, 09:40:05 AM »

They didn't.

Then what did TheMadgician mean by that?

Well they were talking about that they narrowed it down to two, but they didn't reveal who yet. Then they called Mike and showed the video of him answering the phone, etc, and told him it was him. I'm not sure what he meant.

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #2851 on: April 29, 2011, 09:40:18 AM »
at the end it should have said:

this feature was a fictional film in no way represents the real life events

director: mike portnoy
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2852 on: April 29, 2011, 09:40:32 AM »

Soooo happy I could cry...wait. I already did. STILL!... This just LOOKS right, am I right, guys?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2853 on: April 29, 2011, 09:40:53 AM »
:clap:

But there is one thing in the video that I very strongly disagree with and have to go on record as correcting:

Quote from: Peter Wildoer
I was chosen to do the audition for Dream Theater because I played on the solo record of James LaBrie.

No way.  You were chosen because you are an incredible drummer.  And to be mentioned in the final three with Marco Minneman and Mike Mangini...congratulations!
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2854 on: April 29, 2011, 09:41:26 AM »

They didn't.

Of course they did.  They just didn't show it.

And once they showed Mangini praying out loud that it would be him as he was getting ready to make the call, you knew it was him.  No way would they show him like that if it wasn't him.
Yeah I know they did lol, I just mean they didn't on camera :)

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2855 on: April 29, 2011, 09:41:32 AM »

:rollin :rollin

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #2856 on: April 29, 2011, 09:42:08 AM »
solid choice

i was just kinda mad that mangini wasnt with them at the studio

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2857 on: April 29, 2011, 09:42:27 AM »

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

LOL

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #2858 on: April 29, 2011, 09:42:36 AM »
I will say this, while Aquiles' audition didn't look the best in some spots, I definitely enjoy him as a drummer the more I've looked into him. I also, felt really bad every time it showed him being all sad when he messed up. He seriously just looked so sad at the end of TDOE. John Petrucci was even like "Dude its THE DANCE OF ETERNITY, IT'S COOL IF IT AIN'T PERFECT BRO"

so true!

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #2859 on: April 29, 2011, 09:42:42 AM »

They didn't call Marco. OR didn't show it. They first showed calling Peter to tell him he unfortunately didn't get it. Then it talks about how hard of a decision it was between Marco and Mangini.  Finally they said the decision became clear. They called Mangini. Given they hadn't called Marco yet, I was expecting him to get a no. But it was them telling him he got the job.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #2860 on: April 29, 2011, 09:42:51 AM »

Holy crap man, thank you  :rollin
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #2861 on: April 29, 2011, 09:43:08 AM »
First off, Peter, I wouldn't say this unless I believed it (otherwise I'd just say nothing), but you were honestly my second favorite of the drummers.  I felt even more than Marco that you really got the music and the vibe.  And I liked how you handled the audition riff they showed.  While I'm happy it's Mangini, I was really impressed by what you did, so congrats and I hope this video helps you get more work.

Priester - He just wasn't on DT's level, it's really that simple, which is what a lot of people have been saying.  That said though personality-wise I appreciated him.  He clearly gave a crap and put a lot of work into it and tried to roll with the audition.

As for the process of picking the guys, it seemed like they did it the right way.  I appreciated that JM had a lot to say.  I think, though I wasn't there, that while Minnemann impressed them in the moment that as someone to carry on the DT/MP legacy he just wasn't the guy.

And so they picked Mangini.  And, just so it's out there, I absolutely 100% support the decision.  Out of the seven he was clearly the right guy for the job.  I really like his drumming and think DT will take him to the next level.  And as a fan I'm really happy they picked someone who was this committed to doing it and for the right reasons.

Because here's the thing.  Out of the other six drummers, who else would be that happy to get the gig?  Maybe Peter (I can't speak for you on this), but otherwise it just seemed like Mangini wanted it truly deeply.  And I want him to have wanted it that much.

And everything he said was just perfect and I believe he'll act on it.  While like I've said there are definitely parts of DT's music I wish that were different, I don't want a new drummer to come in and blow it up.  I want someone who will respect what MP's done.  And yet, Mangini has the maturity and awareness to know he still has to be his own guy in the band and not try to just replace him.  And, purely from the video in the documentary, I liked his playing the best.

Maybe it feels more clear to me because I wasn't a fan of Minnemann's audition in terms of how he handled DT's material, but I can't stress enough that I feel zero conflict over this.

So thank you Dream Theater for putting this out there, and I personally thank you for making the choice I loved the most.  And congratulations to Mike Mangini, you've earned it in so many ways.

As for the rest of the doc, bummer to see they clearly weren't writing with Mangini, but that's the breaks of having to keep him a secret.  Ah well.  Two notes both related to Myung:

- On the phone, he said "Hi, this is JM."  HE KNOWS OUR LANGUAGE!!!

- When talking about writing the album, he mentioned that he enjoyed the feeling of what it was like to just be with Petrucci as a kid and jam on ideas.  That was a place he said he wished he was at on the WDADRU documentary.  It's really cool to me that the writing process for this album has created a place where Myung feels comfortable again.

And thus, the doc has accomplished what it's supposed to.  I'm glad for the Portnoy years of DT, but a new chapter of DT history is here.  I feel like it's DT again, and I really want to see what this version of the band accomplishes.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2862 on: April 29, 2011, 09:43:15 AM »
solid choice

I was thinking the same....Hopefully that doesn't mean he was totally excluded from the writing process.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2863 on: April 29, 2011, 09:43:25 AM »
:clap:

But there is one thing in the video that I very strongly disagree with and have to go on record as correcting:

Quote from: Peter Wildoer
I was chosen to do the audition for Dream Theater because I played on the solo record of James LaBrie.

No way.  You were chosen because you are an incredible drummer.  And to be mentioned in the final three with Marco Minneman and Mike Mangini...congratulations!

Well, JP said he knew nothing about Peter before the audition.  Its very very likely that James threw his name into the ring because of his performance of Static Impulse (which I listened to again yesterday and liked the drums more than EoP).  He is an amazing drummer, no doubt, but I'd never even heard of Darkane until early this month.

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
« Reply #2864 on: April 29, 2011, 09:43:45 AM »
Other than Aquilles, Peter was the only other drummer I wasn't already familiar with until recently. When the audition started I
was all "WHY DON'T I KNOW ABOUT THIS AWESOMENESS YET WTF."

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #2865 on: April 29, 2011, 09:44:13 AM »
Gadough it showed you them calling Peter and telling him he didn't get it. Then the next call was Mangini telling him he got it. So that could have been a call saying he didn't get it before the call to Minnemann saying he did.

But yeah with the music and showing how much he wanted it before the phonecall it had to be him getting it, would have been really harsh if not.

Was glad to see they considered Peter as well, his audition looked pretty amazing. Honestly wasn't sure whether to hope for Peter or Mangini, I think I preferred both of them to Minnemann though (or it could just be that I thought they were much more likely).

Offline volwrath

« Reply #2866 on: April 29, 2011, 09:44:59 AM »
I thought MM's reaction was a little too over the top despite that being the way he is.  

Combine him and JM and you might get a reasonably emotional human :p

Peter, no wonder you've been posting so much on the forum because you definitely tore it up in your interview from what I saw.

Welcome to DT MM

Offline userx

« Reply #2867 on: April 29, 2011, 09:45:17 AM »
solid choice

Yes, the same thing bugged me. What does that mean? that he didn't write any parts for this album?

and another thing. IMO some of the drum parts that Lang, Minnemann, Mangini and Wildoer did on ANTR were a lot better than on the record

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2868 on: April 29, 2011, 09:45:23 AM »
solid choice

I was thinking the same....Hopefully that doesn't mean he was totally excluded from the writing process.

Umm he was there.  His sit down interview after the fact was in the studio.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline russellmania

« Reply #2869 on: April 29, 2011, 09:45:26 AM »
great ending.  Mangini's response was really very touching.  As for the other guys, Aquiles was probably not as bad as he thought he was.  He seemed to really take every mistake to heart but in TDOE for example he made one mistake towards the end but then finished strong.  Seems like a great dude.  

As for Peter, holy shit man you were awesome.  And to think you've a decade younger than some of these guys.  Keep kicking ass man and I'll definitely be following Darkane and you more closely now.