Author Topic: @ MA inhabitants: Question about state healthcare  (Read 1619 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
@ MA inhabitants: Question about state healthcare
« on: April 17, 2011, 02:09:44 PM »
So, one of the outstanding questions about my big trip is what health insurance I should have. Doing COBRA on my current employer plan would be insanity, I think it's $650/mo or something on that order.
Well, so I was looking today at the MA healthcare program to see whether I can get something cheaper. And it seems to me, given that I will have zero income from July on, I would be eligible for the "below 100% Federal Poverty Level" plan, amounting to essentially no expenses on my part. Can that be? It almost sounds too good to be true.

Anybody here from MA who has experience with the MA healthcare plan?

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline xShammas

• SHAAAAMMAAAAAS TAAAAKE MYYY HAAAAND!!!
Re: @ MA inhabitants: Question about state healthcare
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 08:32:42 PM »
Depending on the coverage, it can be pretty cheap. My mom's is only a couple hundred dollars a month.

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 08:36:41 PM »
So, one of the outstanding questions about my big trip is what health insurance I should have. Doing COBRA on my current employer plan would be insanity, I think it's $650/mo or something on that order.
Well, so I was looking today at the MA healthcare program to see whether I can get something cheaper. And it seems to me, given that I will have zero income from July on, I would be eligible for the "below 100% Federal Poverty Level" plan, amounting to essentially no expenses on my part. Can that be? It almost sounds too good to be true.

rumborak

this belongs in politics forum
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 08:41:19 PM »
wtf? why?

rumborak

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 08:44:05 PM »
I wish I could help you but I've been on the wife health care for 12 years.  Ans yes ricki, WFT. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 08:45:24 PM »
all i have to say is that MA's healthcare is so much different than Florida's.

and yes, im jealous.
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 09:23:52 PM »
I'll only request to move it to P/R if the discussion takes a political turn (ie, why we should have state-sponsored healthcare, etc)

Please continue

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 05:53:53 AM »
Rumbo, sorry, I can't help you. I get it through my job.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 08:27:17 AM »
Obviously I don't know about MA insurance, but I don't see how you could pass yourself off as impoverished.  I'm sure there's a time frame involved.  It's probably measured by your income the previous fiscal year or over the previous twelve months, and I suspect you've made more than 11k under either of those options. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 08:51:25 AM »
Obviously I don't know about MA insurance, but I don't see how you could pass yourself off as impoverished.  I'm sure there's a time frame involved.  It's probably measured by your income the previous fiscal year or over the previous twelve months, and I suspect you've made more than 11k under either of those options. 

This at least thats the way it works in NJ....they look at your prior years income (not your projected income for the next year)

Also, is your employer laying you off or granting you a leave of absense ( if its the latter I don't think you would be entitled to anything as its your choice to take the leave of absense)
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 10:59:01 AM »

rumborak

this belongs in politics forum

oh btw, since you are not the expert on what constitutes a political/religious discussion, I'd ask that you not tell other, more frequent p/r posters what goes where

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 11:42:13 AM »

That's what I'm thinking too really. I can't see Massachusetts paying the money because they didn't include those requirements.
Oh well, I was looking around, and my current insurer (Blue Cross Blue Shield Massachusetts) has a plan for $270/mo. I think that's essentially as low as it will be anyway, and it's probably good if I stick with the same insurer that I have now.

rumborak