Author Topic: Going to England and France, things to see and do?  (Read 1802 times)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Going to England and France, things to see and do?
« on: April 17, 2011, 12:20:09 PM »
I'm going to England in a little over a month. I'm spending a couple weeks in Surrey and then I'm going to Paris and staying there for a little over 3 weeks so I'm looking for suggestions for places I must visit and places I should eat at.

I'm traveling alone to England and staying with my cousin but she has school so I'll be left to my own devices essentially. In Paris I'm meeting a friend of mine, we have a pretty sweet apartment that is rented.

So tell me DTF, what should I see and do
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 12:26:01 PM by ReaperKK »

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
Re: Going to England and France, things to see and do?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 12:27:08 PM »
Omg, please take me with you. Seeing Paris is my dream in life.  :omg:

Go to the Paris Opera house AKA The Opera Garnier AKA a million other names. Please, go for me.

Also you have to see the Phantom of the Opera in London.  :metal

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 12:28:16 PM »
The Eiffel Tower should be pretty obvious in Paris. :P

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 12:32:40 PM »

We are only a 3 kilometers from the Eiffel Tower so I'm sure it'll be the first thing we see.

Rina I'll definitely try and check out the opera house and I'll be sure to take tons of pictures of the whole trip.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 01:06:25 PM »
ME! SEE ME!

AND SIGZ!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 01:40:33 PM »
I went to France.  GET ESCARGO.  Seriously, it's pretty good. (and nutritious to boot)
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 01:42:43 PM »
ME! SEE ME!

AND SIGZ!

I'm down to get some drinks
I went to France.  GET ESCARGO.  Seriously, it's pretty good. (and nutritious to boot)

I've always wanted to try it, it's on my list of things to eat while I'm there.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 01:47:09 PM »
I have no idea when you're leaving, but all of these fit into your rough time frame.  Pollstar is the best source for figuring stuff like this out.

Rush at the O2 on 5/25
Terry Jones and Michael Palin are doing something together 6/13 in London.  Don't know what, but how could that possibly even matter?
Roger Waters is all over the UK and France throughout May and June.  You could actually see the show that Gilmour plays at.
System of a Down in Paris 6/6 and 6/8.  I think they suck ass, but to each their own.
Judas Priest 6/20 in Paris
Primus 6/22 in Paris
Maiden 6/27, 6/28, Paris

If you're going to check out Versailles, be sure to check the schedule.  They only run the fountains on certain days of the month (and even then, quite sparingly).  I wouldn't bother, myself, but you've got 3 weeks, so why not.

My favorite thing to do in France was to head to a point 3 random metro stops away and just wander.  Go someplace completely random and seek out something to eat.

Start walking now.  Make sure you can cover 10 miles without feeling sore of tired, because you'll do that pretty easily once your in country.

Edit:  as a matter of fact, if I were in Paris on 6/13,  I'd probably ride the Chunnel train back to London just to  see what the hell Palin and Jonesy are up to.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 01:51:03 PM »
What to do in Paris is kinda obvious really. Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, Seine, Sacre Coeur etc.

If you're in Surrey, you should definitely go the Stonehenge. Just don't have your expectations too high. Bath is also quite nice.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Ħ

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 01:52:31 PM »
Ooo, another thing you should do in Paris is explore the catacombs!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catacombs_of_Paris
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2011, 02:04:25 PM »
El Barto thanks for the suggestions, I just looked at some tickets for Roger Waters and he is playing in France and tickets are only 95 euros, which after fees and conversion is still cheaper than what I spent for the Waters show here in Florida. My buddy missed the waters show when he was in Canada (Gilmour played at that Toronto show) so it'll be something to do there.

Ooo, another thing you should do in Paris is explore the catacombs!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catacombs_of_Paris

That looks awesome, I'm definitely going to make time to visit the catacombs.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2011, 02:41:16 PM »
Seeing shows in faraway lands is awesome.  There's almost always a different vibe.  After a while, shows in your home town start to seem fairly ordinary.   Travel totally breaks the routine so it's more of a unique experience. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TimmyHiggy

• Not the droid you are looking for
  • Maybe its just another drill?
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2011, 02:47:58 PM »
I second the Bath suggestion, and you have to spend a while aimlessly wondering around central london. Also, go out into the middle of nowhere and drink a local beer in a country pub (assuming you are over 18/look old enough that you might just get away with it)
Also, check out some villages. Southern english villages are completely unique!
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />

Offline kirbywelch92

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2011, 03:11:00 PM »
I think seeing the Louvre is a given, I've always wanted to see the Mona Lisa and other famous paintings up close. I would also walk down Abbey Road, that always felt necessary if I was in London.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2011, 04:20:21 PM »
In 2009, I was in London for a month with two days in Paris for a term, studying the arts in both of those cities. It was quite an amazing experience. However, I'm not going to lie, I didn't enjoy Paris that much. I didn't find anything that blew my mind about the city. I did enjoy the food. The Lourve was the best thing about that trip. I dunno. If I ever have the money to go again, I'll give it another shot.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2011, 04:22:30 PM »
Go to Scotland and eat copious amounts of haggis

Offline TimmyHiggy

• Not the droid you are looking for
  • Maybe its just another drill?
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2011, 04:38:42 PM »
not to mention scotch eggs
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2011, 06:59:11 PM »

We are only a 3 kilometers from the Eiffel Tower so I'm sure it'll be the first thing we see.

Rina I'll definitely try and check out the opera house and I'll be sure to take tons of pictures of the whole trip.

I will love you FOREVER if you get me pictures from Box 5.

I mean...I'll love you anyway, but, er, even more.  :heart

Offline cookienut

• Far Away From Home
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2011, 09:17:06 PM »
Totally recommend Bath. Stayed there over Christmas a few years ago. Awesome place.

As for Paris? There is heaps to do. The best thing I did was walk down the Champs-Élysées eating freshly made Crepe's with my wife. It was just after Christmas and the whole street was lit up and the atmposphere was outstanding.

Here is a sweet photo I took in Bath

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2011, 07:00:31 PM »
Was in London recently, and when I arrrived I was as sick as a dog, but everyone from the doctor who came round to examine me, to the hotel staff all said to try a Georgian restaurant called Tamada. I wound up holed up in my hotel instead, with what turend out to be pneumonia. I'll try it next time. One of the finest places to eat in the world is a place called the Fat Duck in London. I was with someone and all I know is we took the M4 to get there. I'm sure every taxi driver in England knows where it is. Probably will have to make reservations though.

In Paris.... for a top notch gastro experience splurge and go to Le Meurice (it's near the Louvre), or head to L'Ambroisie (near Notre Dame). Two of the finest places in the world. Fine dining at it's finest. Spend your money pampering yourself at least in one of these fine establishments. Everyone should have the opportunity at least once to dine either place. 
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2011, 12:10:55 AM »
If you want to get out of Paris and see some mountains, I can tell you from experience that the French Alps are absolutely gorgeous.

Offline SinTrade

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2011, 02:00:32 AM »
One of the finest places to eat in the world is a place called the Fat Duck in London. I was with someone and all I know is we took the M4 to get there. I'm sure every taxi driver in England knows where it is. Probably will have to make reservations though.

Probably  :lol That place has been named best restaurant in the world over and over again.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2011, 06:41:51 AM »
Wow how time flies, I'm leaving for this trip tomorrow and I still haven't made any plans to see anything in particular .

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2011, 08:52:30 AM »
If you're planning to hit up Versailles, be sure and check the schedule.  They only run the fountains for a short period on specific days. 
E.F. Benson