Author Topic: Lord of the Rings  (Read 26358 times)

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Lord of the Rings
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2011, 02:40:50 PM »
Lonestar's favorite clip in the entire Lord Of The Rings trilogy:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7cI5sagPco

That also makes Frodo his least favorite character, for trashing that nice crispy bacon.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2011, 04:35:44 PM »
the films were fantastic but the books bored me to tears.
Your words just brought me to tears; the books are the single most godliest things ever written.

Who do you think is the biggest LOTR nerd on here? I'd like to be a contender for that title.

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2011, 05:52:40 PM »
the films were fantastic but the books bored me to tears. I appreciate the work that went into it and the huge influence it has made on popular culture but it was so dry, like reading a text book.

I didn't care for the books that much the first time I read them either, but the story is good enough I eventually read them a second (and third time) to fully digest them. They get better every time.

The LOTR trilogy is easily my favorite movie of all time. I tend to think of it as one 11 hour long epic, although if you want to get specific Fellowship is still my favorite. The extended cut of Two Towers is nearly as good though. Return of the King actually looked kind of messy last time I watched it, had too much baggage from the previous films to take care of. Still epic as hell though!

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2011, 09:19:56 AM »
I think one of the greatest scenes is Boromir proclaiming victory at Osgiliath(?) - it seems amazing that that was left out of the cinema edit!

Also the short scene in the rain before battle at Helm's Deep.

Bernard Hill and Sean Bean were the actors that stood out the most in the whole trilogy for me.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2011, 10:07:35 AM »
Do you mean Amon Hen?

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2011, 10:12:02 AM »
Do you mean Amon Hen?

No, there's a deleted scene featuring Boromir fighting in Osgiliath.
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2011, 11:44:05 AM »
Oh really? I must have missed that one. I don't think the extended edition has that scene in it. *goes to youtube*

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2011, 02:25:05 PM »
I can't really remember which movie has it, but it is in one of the extended editions.

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2011, 02:51:54 PM »
I'm also pretty sure it's in an extended edition, probably in RotK.

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2011, 04:28:39 PM »
Do you mean Amon Hen?
It's been parodied on the internet as him playing a guitar but I thought it was a massively inspiring scene and he meets his brother "finally" (i.e. we see his brother recalling Boromir after the news of his demise I think).

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2011, 05:15:30 PM »
I can't really remember which movie has it, but it is in one of the extended editions.
I'm also pretty sure it's in an extended edition, probably in RotK.

Two Tower EE

See the brothers in Osgiliath was good but I think seeing their relationship with their father was even better, especially for Boromir. Denethor was the only character that got screwed in the movies. He's a great tragic figure in the book but in the movie he's just a crazy bastard.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2011, 05:26:50 PM »
Kinda makes me wanna reread the series. There's a trace of a sympathetic character in Boromir in FotR EE, and I can't remember how prescient it was in the books.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2011, 06:18:46 PM »
Denethor was the only character that got screwed in the movies. He's a great tragic figure in the book but in the movie he's just a crazy bastard.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2011, 06:30:52 PM »
The only character that got screwed in the movies? I don't think they portrayed Faramir very well.

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2011, 06:40:34 PM »
I thought he was portrayed fairly well, but to be fair, I don't think I've seen the entire EE Trilogy movies; I'm more of a LotR book guy..

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2011, 10:37:56 PM »
The only character that got screwed in the movies? I don't think they portrayed Faramir very well.

It is true they made alterations, but I found them more acceptable in the extended cut of Two Towers. To me it was externalizing the desperation of finding some aide for his father than succumbing to the ring's temptation, making his later release of Frodo & co. more nobler, proving himself better than his brother and closer to the spirit of the book. It is still a fairly significant change though that's true.

I think his character still retains the depth of the books though, maybe even given a little more. Denethor just comes off as one dimensional. Maybe an understandable place to trim but disappointing all the same.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2011, 12:30:15 AM »

Yeah, he's the biggest problem I have with the LOTR movies.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2011, 12:37:03 AM »
A few months ago, I watched all three films in the extended version over the course of three weekends. Eleven hours of awesomeness. Loved it.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2020, 02:52:32 AM »
Sean Connery as Gandalf
Nicholas Cage - Aragorn
Kate Winslet - Arwen
Ethan Hawk - Faramir
Lucy Lawless - Galadriel

I feel the vibe in the movies would have been very much diffrent had Peter Jackson got what he first wanted, not to say it would've been bad but just....diffrent.

I love Daniel Day-Lewis respons on why he turned down, that he thought he would be bored on set.  :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2020, 11:29:48 AM »
Sean Connery as Gandalf
Nicholas Cage - Aragorn
Kate Winslet - Arwen
Ethan Hawk - Faramir
Lucy Lawless - Galadriel

I feel the vibe in the movies would have been very much diffrent had Peter Jackson got what he first wanted, not to say it would've been bad but just....diffrent.

I love Daniel Day-Lewis respons on why he turned down, that he thought he would be bored on set.  :lol

Now, let me just say that I'm a HUGE fan of Sean Connery, a moderate fan of Nick Cage, and a huge fan of Kate Winslet... but of that list, Kate is the only choice I would prefer over what we got.   Ian McKellan was the perfect Gandalf; he captured that dichotomy between frail unassuming old man, and one of the three most powerful wizards in Middle Earth.   Nick Cage doesn't belong anywhere NEAR Middle Earth with his overacting and "quirky" choices.   Kate Winslet could play anything she wants, and I'd love her dearly, but in place of the entirely, massively overrated Liv Tyler, sure, I'm in.   Wouldn't watch Ethan Hawke in a toothpaste commercial, and indifferent on Lucy Lawless over Cate Blanchett (though I can't imagine the swarthy Lawless playing the wispy Elven role). 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2020, 12:15:52 PM »
Sean Connery as Gandalf?! Can you imagine that movie?

"You're late!"
"That's not what your mother said, Baggins!"
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2020, 05:05:11 AM »

"You're late!"

:spitcoffee:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2020, 02:52:46 PM »

"You're late!"
:lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2020, 03:05:59 PM »
Sean Connery as Gandalf
Nicholas Cage - Aragorn
Kate Winslet - Arwen
Ethan Hawk - Faramir
Lucy Lawless - Galadriel

Now, let me just say that I'm a HUGE fan of Sean Connery, a moderate fan of Nick Cage, and a huge fan of Kate Winslet... but of that list, Kate is the only choice I would prefer over what we got.   Ian McKellan was the perfect Gandalf; he captured that dichotomy between frail unassuming old man, and one of the three most powerful wizards in Middle Earth.   Nick Cage doesn't belong anywhere NEAR Middle Earth with his overacting and "quirky" choices.   Kate Winslet could play anything she wants, and I'd love her dearly, but in place of the entirely, massively overrated Liv Tyler, sure, I'm in.   Wouldn't watch Ethan Hawke in a toothpaste commercial, and indifferent on Lucy Lawless over Cate Blanchett (though I can't imagine the swarthy Lawless playing the wispy Elven role).

Holy necropost, Batman!

I say all of this as someone who never read any of the books.  I agree that McKellen was perfect as Gandalf -- to the point that it's REALLY tough to imagine anyone else playing the character.  I think Connery could have done a great job, and we'd maybe even say HE was perfect.  Cage as Aragorn would have been just hinky.  I like most of the stuff I've seen him in, but wow....  For me, swapping Winslet for Tyler would have been a bit of a whatever.  It's been a while since I've seen any of these movies, but I don't remember Arwen as more than a side character, and Liv Tyler's prominent billing was not at all warranted.  Would Winslet have been better?  Maybe, but it wouldn't have made for a significant change in the movies.  Lucy Lawless as Galadriel?!  Bwahahahaha!!!  Ethan Hawke?  Whatever.  I can't honestly distinguish one Blankomir from another.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2022, 02:34:33 PM »
The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power - Title Announcement

Kind of a pointless trailer in a way but still cool though. I'm ready for this!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline pg1067

« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2022, 03:09:35 PM »

This is...what...a prequel to the original three movies?  Not based on any books?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2022, 03:10:49 PM »
Cool.  I'm probably down for this.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline HOF

« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2022, 03:50:43 PM »
I strongly disliked the Peter Jackson movies. I think the original trilogy would have been better served by a series like this though, so I'm at least a little interested to see how this turns out. 
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 04:08:30 PM by HOF »

Offline Melphina

« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2022, 04:39:29 PM »

This is...what...a prequel to the original three movies?  Not based on any books?

If I remember correctly there will be a smidge of original characters and such, but the show is based entirely - again, if I recall properly - on Tolkien's own writings. The show takes place in the Second Age of Middle Earth. The LOTR story takes place at the very end of the Third Age with the War of the Ring.

The Second Age lasted for thousands of years and involves the rise of Numenor, the rise of Sauron in Middle Earth after his first defeat at the hands of Elves and Man, and the creation of the Rings of Power. This show apparently will focus on the period of the rings being made and handed to the various races.

I cannot wait to see how they present Sauron. I am geeking out so freaking hard. I was just looking for more info on this earlier today and am very happy they are finally getting the ball rolling on trailers and such.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 06:04:23 PM by Melphina »

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2022, 10:30:04 PM »
I strongly disliked the Peter Jackson movies. I think the original trilogy would have been better served by a series like this though, so I'm at least a little interested to see how this turns out. 

Not heavily invested either way, but curious if you could elaborate.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #65 on: January 20, 2022, 07:48:52 AM »

Me too.

I'm not sure that I have high hopes for this new show, other than as spectacle.  As I understand it, it's not based specifically on any of Tolkein's actual writings, as the LOTR or Hobbit films were.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: January 20, 2022, 07:56:45 AM »
I'm intrigued to see what can be done to create new stories in a LOTR Universe - realizing it's not from the pages of anything Tolkein specifically created.

Offline Melphina

« Reply #67 on: January 20, 2022, 07:58:11 AM »
Chris Tolkien, the next most important author/editor of Tolkien's texts, didn't have a hand in the film trilogy and look how good those ended up. Yeah they were based on the actual writings and books, but I think that's a good thing to keep in mind for anyone nervous about the quality or integrity of what's coming with this show. While the show itself might take its own artistic liberties, Tolkien fleshed out enough lore behind Arda and the Ages to give them a massive amount of material to work with. From what I understand some of the Tolkien estate is heavily involved with this and they have plenty of people with extensive knowledge of the lore working on this.

Now that doesn't mean anything if they end up dropping the ball - but I'm optimistic. Granted, Peter Jackson fucked up the Hobbit something fierce imo, so it really could go either way. I'll watch regardless. :corn

Offline HOF

« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2022, 08:09:06 AM »

It’s been so long since I’ve seen the movies that I can’t elaborate on the specifics too much. But in general I didn’t care for Jackson’s artistic choices when it came to altering the story to fit into the film length,* a lot of the dialogue that didn’t come from the book, and the overall visual of the films which were heavily colorized and CGI’d and felt something like being in a Thomas Kinkade painting. Really didn’t care for Elijah Wood. There were things that I thought they got right in terms of the general look of the characters, costumes, etc. But a lot of it came off as cheesy to me. I remember really disliking what they did to the Council of Elrond scene, Galadriel when she talks to Frodo about the ring was another part I thought was all wrong. And then a lot of the action was over the top. One that stands out is a scene where Legolas surfs down an oliphaunt’s trunk like Tarzan from the Disney animated film.

*I realize this was necessary, but it’s one reason a TV series might have handled the material better. In general, I think a lot of the story elements and personality of the characters in the books could have been developed more over a lengthy series.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 08:18:44 AM by HOF »

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2022, 09:02:01 AM »
20 years ago series weren't so "cool".

If LOTR was never made into a movie, and talks and agreements were reached in this time, DEFINITIVELY it would have been a series and not three movies.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!