Author Topic: Lord of the Rings  (Read 28258 times)

Offline AndyDT

Lord of the Rings
« on: April 17, 2011, 06:45:10 AM »
Somebody was saying it's over 10 years since LoTR was made. Seems incredible. They seemed such epic things particularly being spread over 3 years. Has there been any film as epic since?

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • ţađ besta sem guđ hefur skapađ er nýr dagur
Re: Lord of the Rings
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 06:48:28 AM »
With epic as in the traditional sense of the word, I don't think any film as epic as any LOTR film has been made.

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline kala1928

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 08:46:51 AM »
With epic as in the traditional sense of the word, I don't think any film as epic as any LOTR film has been made.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypAAsmgVmhk

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 08:49:11 AM »
10 years. Doesn't feel that long, but it is...

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 09:18:40 AM »
Ten years?!

I feel so old :(

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 09:19:51 AM »

That content is blocked in the U.S., could you or someone else tell me what it is?
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 09:22:00 AM »

That content is blocked in the U.S., could you or someone else tell me what it is?
The intro to Conan the Barbarian. :P

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • ţađ besta sem guđ hefur skapađ er nýr dagur
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 10:00:19 AM »
I forgot to add "since". :lol

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 10:15:57 AM »
Ten years?!

I feel so old :(
LOLyoungpup

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 12:44:34 PM »
I'm sure something at some point will be more epic. Amazing that it's been ten years though.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2011, 01:39:02 PM »
The Fellowship of the Ring is my favorite movie of all time.  My favorite scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmEeC8TaJsc
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2011, 03:42:49 PM »
I've never seen the LotR films. Well, I saw the Fellowship when it came out in theaters, but I was about 10 years old then, so I don't remember much of it. So I went to Wal-Mart the other day to buy the trilogy on DVD. They didn't have them. And Wal-Mart is the only place around here that sells DVDs. Lame.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2011, 03:46:10 PM »
The Fellowship of the Ring is my favorite movie of all time.  My favorite scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmEeC8TaJsc

That's a great scene!

I have to say, and I'm man enough to say it, but I have cried once in each movie of the Lord of the Rings movies.

Death of Gandalf in FOTR
https://youtu.be/X8pWjiFxXkg

Arwen's realizes Aragorns mortality in TTT
https://youtu.be/4tl8_vSq0Aw

You bow to no one in ROTK
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URmQXIeVpN8

Offline Ħ

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2011, 03:56:46 PM »
I've never seen the LotR films. Well, I saw the Fellowship when it came out in theaters, but I was about 10 years old then, so I don't remember much of it. So I went to Wal-Mart the other day to buy the trilogy on DVD. They didn't have them. And Wal-Mart is the only place around here that sells DVDs. Lame.
No wonder you're so deranged.  FIX IT. NAO.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2011, 04:13:08 PM »
Had Avatar : The Last Airbender (Movie) not been such a disaster, it could have rivaled LOTR in epicness.
Other than that, currently the term "epic" in movies just means "History Channel on steroids".

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2011, 06:00:26 PM »
I'm sure something at some point will be more epic.
I'm not.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2011, 08:18:01 PM »
If a fantasy movie as incredible as LOTR comes out, I'll be the first to see it.

Definitely one of my favorite movie series of all time.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2011, 08:48:45 PM »
I'm not.
My world just crumbled under my feet.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2011, 12:08:56 AM »
If a fantasy movie as incredible as LOTR comes out, I'll be the first to see it.

Definitely one of my favorite movie series of all time.

Then you will be the first to see The Hobbit.

Harry Potter is pretty epic, but not nearly the visual spectacle of LOTR.  I have all three extended editions. 

One year... I'd like to say 05 or so... my best friend and I on new years decided to watch them all back to back to back.  All three extended editions.  Took us 13 hours.  Granted we took numerous breaks.  But still.  I can't do that again.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2011, 03:21:18 AM »
I'm not.

When they finally get around to making the 10 films neccessary to document the Horus Heresy, they will be surpassed.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline TheCor

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2011, 04:06:59 AM »
One year... I'd like to say 05 or so... my best friend and I on new years decided to watch them all back to back to back.  All three extended editions.  Took us 13 hours.  Granted we took numerous breaks.  But still.  I can't do that again.
A group of my friends did that too once, probably around '05 also.  Another time we attempted to get through all 6 star wars movies consecutively;  I think we made it through episodes 1 through 3 alright but about halfway through A New Hope everybody either fell asleep or just couldn't take it anymore.  I don't plan on trying that again. 

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2011, 04:43:15 AM »
What about Game of Thrones?

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2011, 11:48:03 AM »
the films were fantastic but the books bored me to tears. I appreciate the work that went into it and the huge influence it has made on popular culture but it was so dry, like reading a text book.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2011, 11:54:55 AM »
The start of book one is slow, but it picks up from there.

And how can you not love songs? :D

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2011, 01:42:03 PM »
A group of my friends did that too once, probably around '05 also.  Another time we attempted to get through all 6 star wars movies consecutively;  I think we made it through episodes 1 through 3 alright but about halfway through A New Hope everybody either fell asleep or just couldn't take it anymore.  I don't plan on trying that again. 
Me and a friend did LOTR. It is certainly more tiring than you would think.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2011, 01:50:25 PM »
I did it when I was sick on bedrest, and it was still difficult to power through the whole thing without getting distracted by other stuff.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2011, 01:57:58 PM »
I remember watching the extended versions of TLOTR and TTT from 9 to 5 pm with just bathroom breaks and lunch break(To microwave the leftover thanksgiving food) in preparation for ROTK.  That was a long day.  We talked about all three extended cuts but haven't done it on a rainy day yet.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2011, 02:00:57 PM »
I'd love to do that.  Problem is, it kills a whole day.  And since my wife isn't a fan, that means...well, in short, it means it'll never happen.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2011, 02:05:33 PM »
Then I'm guessing a Desperate Housewives marathon is in your future. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2011, 02:10:37 PM »
Thankfully, she hates that show (and others like it) with a passion.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2011, 02:13:18 PM »
Thankfully, she hates that show (and others like it) with a passion.

I am with her.  That's why I love Facebook.  I get to mock my best friends wife for watching DH.  At least his daughter can recite all of the Jokers lines on the Dark Knight. :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2011, 02:34:29 PM »
Let's see them do movies of the Wheel of Time series.  It would only take about twenty years.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2011, 02:36:49 PM »
Lonestar's favorite clip in the entire Lord Of The Rings trilogy:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7cI5sagPco

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2011, 02:39:52 PM »
 :lol

Touche.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2011, 02:39:57 PM »
 :lol