Author Topic: Lord of the Rings  (Read 3540 times)

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Lord of the Rings
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2011, 02:40:50 PM »
Lonestar's favorite clip in the entire Lord Of The Rings trilogy:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7cI5sagPco

That also makes Frodo his least favorite character, for trashing that nice crispy bacon.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2011, 04:35:44 PM »
the films were fantastic but the books bored me to tears.
Your words just brought me to tears; the books are the single most godliest things ever written.

Who do you think is the biggest LOTR nerd on here? I'd like to be a contender for that title.

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2011, 05:52:40 PM »
the films were fantastic but the books bored me to tears. I appreciate the work that went into it and the huge influence it has made on popular culture but it was so dry, like reading a text book.

I didn't care for the books that much the first time I read them either, but the story is good enough I eventually read them a second (and third time) to fully digest them. They get better every time.

The LOTR trilogy is easily my favorite movie of all time. I tend to think of it as one 11 hour long epic, although if you want to get specific Fellowship is still my favorite. The extended cut of Two Towers is nearly as good though. Return of the King actually looked kind of messy last time I watched it, had too much baggage from the previous films to take care of. Still epic as hell though!

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2011, 09:19:56 AM »
I think one of the greatest scenes is Boromir proclaiming victory at Osgiliath(?) - it seems amazing that that was left out of the cinema edit!

Also the short scene in the rain before battle at Helm's Deep.

Bernard Hill and Sean Bean were the actors that stood out the most in the whole trilogy for me.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2011, 10:07:35 AM »
Do you mean Amon Hen?

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2011, 10:12:02 AM »
Do you mean Amon Hen?

No, there's a deleted scene featuring Boromir fighting in Osgiliath.
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2011, 11:44:05 AM »
Oh really? I must have missed that one. I don't think the extended edition has that scene in it. *goes to youtube*

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2011, 02:25:05 PM »
I can't really remember which movie has it, but it is in one of the extended editions.

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2011, 02:51:54 PM »
I'm also pretty sure it's in an extended edition, probably in RotK.

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2011, 04:28:39 PM »
Do you mean Amon Hen?
It's been parodied on the internet as him playing a guitar but I thought it was a massively inspiring scene and he meets his brother "finally" (i.e. we see his brother recalling Boromir after the news of his demise I think).

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2011, 05:15:30 PM »
I can't really remember which movie has it, but it is in one of the extended editions.
I'm also pretty sure it's in an extended edition, probably in RotK.

Two Tower EE

See the brothers in Osgiliath was good but I think seeing their relationship with their father was even better, especially for Boromir. Denethor was the only character that got screwed in the movies. He's a great tragic figure in the book but in the movie he's just a crazy bastard.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
    • The Nerdy Millennial
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2011, 05:26:50 PM »
Kinda makes me wanna reread the series. There's a trace of a sympathetic character in Boromir in FotR EE, and I can't remember how prescient it was in the books.
Check out my blog!
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2011, 06:18:46 PM »
Denethor was the only character that got screwed in the movies. He's a great tragic figure in the book but in the movie he's just a crazy bastard.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2011, 06:30:52 PM »
The only character that got screwed in the movies? I don't think they portrayed Faramir very well.

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2011, 06:40:34 PM »
I thought he was portrayed fairly well, but to be fair, I don't think I've seen the entire EE Trilogy movies; I'm more of a LotR book guy..

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2011, 10:37:56 PM »
The only character that got screwed in the movies? I don't think they portrayed Faramir very well.

It is true they made alterations, but I found them more acceptable in the extended cut of Two Towers. To me it was externalizing the desperation of finding some aide for his father than succumbing to the ring's temptation, making his later release of Frodo & co. more nobler, proving himself better than his brother and closer to the spirit of the book. It is still a fairly significant change though that's true.

I think his character still retains the depth of the books though, maybe even given a little more. Denethor just comes off as one dimensional. Maybe an understandable place to trim but disappointing all the same.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2011, 12:30:15 AM »

Yeah, he's the biggest problem I have with the LOTR movies.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2011, 12:37:03 AM »
A few months ago, I watched all three films in the extended version over the course of three weekends. Eleven hours of awesomeness. Loved it.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.