Author Topic: Best Buy sucks big time now  (Read 8585 times)

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
Re: Best Buy sucks big time now
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2011, 06:47:52 AM »
I work at a CVS and most times I check if a customer wants help they do. And are grateful for it.

Also if you are buying Foo Fighters CDs you do need help.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2011, 07:11:01 AM »
I work at walmart, and they teach us the "ten foot rule", to ask anyone that walks within ten feet of you if they ned help. Most of us don't follow it though :lol

I'm yet to meet one of you guys who follows it heh, damn it why do you ignore me!!
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2011, 07:16:30 AM »

Also if you are buying Foo Fighters CDs you do need help.

Does not compute.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Durg

• Evil Java Genius & Horder of Open Source Software
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2011, 07:21:40 AM »
Last time I went there the record selection was so bad that I decided I'd just do all my buying online from now on. The thing is, the stuff I was looking for wasn't even that rare; certainly not stuff I hadn't seen in Best Buy before. To name a few bands Best Buy just didn't seem to be carrying at all:

Any Porcupine Tree album aside from The Incident.
Any Queen album aside from the Greatest Hits and ANatO
Any Frank Zappa.
Devin Townsend's Ki.
Any Opeth.
Any Within Temptation.

etc., etc.

This is not just Best Buy.  CDs are becoming a thing of the past.  At best buy you can buy Napster, Rhapsody, and iTunes cards.  Also why go to a store when you can just buy it on your smart phone (where you listen to the music anyway).  That's how people are getting their music these days.  They download it.  Places like WalMart, K Mart, and Best Buy look at the sales numbers and if people aren't buying CDs then they are not going to be inclined to stock them.  And let's face it the stuff you listed, other than Queen, are not real high on the all time sales list.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

Offline lodeus

« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2011, 07:26:53 AM »
Last time I went there the record selection was so bad that I decided I'd just do all my buying online from now on. The thing is, the stuff I was looking for wasn't even that rare; certainly not stuff I hadn't seen in Best Buy before. To name a few bands Best Buy just didn't seem to be carrying at all:

Any Porcupine Tree album aside from The Incident.
Any Queen album aside from the Greatest Hits and ANatO
Any Frank Zappa.
Devin Townsend's Ki.
Any Opeth.
Any Within Temptation.

etc., etc.

This, but I did find In Absentia a few months ago.

They also have any Dream Theater except for BC&SL. FYE seems to be the only place to find things I cant find anywhere else.

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2011, 07:32:14 AM »
They also have any Dream Theater except for BC&SL.
Lies.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 08:11:29 AM by Aramatheis »

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2011, 07:43:40 AM »
I would not do music buying at Best Buy. The only thing I ever bought was 10,000 Days from there. I do it all online now, unless I see something in a store and it is a good deal.

I would go to Best Buy to get other things for my computer or car.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2011, 07:47:05 AM »
Obviously individual Best Buy stores are allowed to stock what their managers believe will sell in their area.  When I went to pick up Moving Pictures in 5.1, they had four or five copies on Blu-ray and two or three on DVD-A.  They had a number of Zappa DVDs, and I've picked up every Dream Theater release since FII at Best Buy.  Why?  Because I live in an area with a lot of people in the right age range and disposable income to buy stuff like that.

Blaming an entire franchise for the policies of an individual store doesn't make sense.  Go to a different store.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2011, 07:56:40 AM »
Obviously individual Best Buy stores are allowed to stock what their managers believe will sell in their area.  When I went to pick up Moving Pictures in 5.1, they had four or five copies on Blu-ray and two or three on DVD-A.  They had a number of Zappa DVDs, and I've picked up every Dream Theater release since FII at Best Buy.  Why?  Because I live in an area with a lot of people in the right age range and disposable income to buy stuff like that.

Blaming an entire franchise for the policies of an individual store doesn't make sense.  Go to a different store.
I buy stuff I want there because the arent many options available anymore. I believe FYE is the only other place around me that even sells music cds.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2011, 07:59:40 AM »
That's weird.  I've picked up every P-Tree Cd since In Absentia and ever DT cd from Images.  The market is changing and large stores like that are downsizing.  I hate FYE.  Way overpriced.  Locally here in N.E.  I go to Newbury Comics for the "hard to find" CD's or to order.  They are all about music and every genre.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2011, 09:14:00 AM »
I haven't been a in Best Buy in years, since Fry's was generally much better.  However, Fry's has really gone to hell in a big hurry.  It's amazing how fast they went from great to terrible, do in large part to their wanting to become another Best Buy.  Fry's used to have tons of cheap versions of everything you needed.  Now, they only want to sell super high margin items and have gotten rid of everything else.  Since I've recently moved, I've needed a variety of oddball cables.  It used to be that they had every cable under the sun in varying qualities.  Now, if you don't want Monster brand, you're SOL.  This was the same strategy that Best Buy adopted years ago; discontinue the discount products in lieu of the high-margin ones.  Strangely, their loss leaders are usually big ticket items.  Sell somebody an HDTV for $1200, so you can send them home with an $80 HDMI cable that's no better than a $8 one.  "If you don't buy this $25 calibration DVD, you're new TV won't look good!" 

There's actually a forum for current and former BB employees that's a damned fun read.  Their LP guys are real nazis, and the resentment they've built up do to the GeekSquad fiasco is something fierce. 

As for Fry's, their biggest issue now is that they no longer put those stickers on anything.  The only way to know the price of something is to see the shelf tag, and have you ever seen anything in a Fry's actually located next to it's shelf tag?  It's a real disaster, and it's just as bad for the employees who spend all of their time price checking for people.  Thankfully, we have Microcenter here in Dallas that absolutely demolishes Fry's. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2011, 12:01:29 PM »
Those of you complaining about their CD section must have very different Best Buys than the one near me. Mine has pretty much everything Perpetual Change listed as not being in stock at his. But I only buy brand new releases in brick and mortar stores anyway.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2011, 01:10:28 PM »
My local best buy has Images and Words and Octivarium as the only two DT albums.

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2011, 01:12:50 PM »
My BB had all of DT's albums.

No, really; thats where I bought all of them when I was first getting into them.
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2011, 01:21:05 PM »
I have two godlike record stores, Rasputins and Ameoba Records, within a mile of my work.  No need to go to Best Buy for anything.  Between those two stores, I can find anything, including all DT albums and most of I.Q.'s stuff, something Best Buy would never carry.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2011, 01:22:30 PM »
I get all of my music on amazon. I haven't bought a CD in store since.... Black Clouds came out.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2011, 02:01:57 PM »
I have two godlike record stores, Rasputins and Ameoba Records, within a mile of my work.  No need to go to Best Buy for anything.  Between those two stores, I can find anything, including all DT albums and most of I.Q.'s stuff, something Best Buy would never carry.

There was a place like that out where I live called Pheonix Records. It went OOB a few months ago. They had anything you could imagine. They didn't have DT on the shelves with everything else. If you asked, the guy would pull out two huge boxes from under the counter. They had every album, all the bootlegs, and fan made DVD's. It was pretty cool. I scored an autographed Bat Out of Hell record for 30 dollars.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2011, 02:07:17 PM »
Sad, another victim of on line purchasing.  I swear, if my favorite bookstore, Dark Carnival, goes under because of that and Kindles and such, I will fucking cry.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2011, 02:08:57 PM »
Best Buy doesn't have SHIT anymore.....10 years ago, I could walk in there and always find what I need. Now, since they've won the competition over Circuit City and everyone else, they don't give a fuck because they know everyone will still shop there.

Best Buy, more like Worst Buy!

Offline mizzl

• DTF.org Member
  • I have officialy been ravenhearted. Thanks Zydar!
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2011, 02:09:39 PM »
BADUMTISHH

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2011, 02:10:59 PM »
BADUMTISHH

I read that and looked right at your sig and  :rollin

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2011, 02:15:24 PM »
I buy all my stuff online which enables me to bypass all the chatting, relaxing, and making friends that I was previously forced to do by shopping in public stores.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2011, 02:23:48 PM »
The CD section in my BB is horrid...

I like most of you, have a local record store I go to. Salzars in Ventura, Ca. I also hit up Amoeba in Hollywood when I'm there... 
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2011, 03:03:01 PM »
I buy all my stuff online which enables me to bypass all the chatting, relaxing, and making friends that I was previously forced to do by shopping in public stores.

I don't know if you're being sarcastic, but that is true for me. i am very introverted IRL and hate all that chatter and junk.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2011, 03:42:09 PM »
Sad, another victim of on line purchasing.  I swear, if my favorite bookstore, Dark Carnival, goes under because of that and Kindles and such, I will fucking cry.
Prepare to cry. Its inevitable

Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #60 on: April 13, 2011, 03:51:13 PM »
also if you are buying Foo Fighters CDs you do need help.

, says the guy who proclaims to be the biggest A7X fan here. :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #61 on: April 13, 2011, 03:52:09 PM »
I know, I know, but it is THE coolest bookstore ever.  Anything SF, fantasy, and mystery can be found, plus the most absurd collection of nonsensical knicknacks ever.  Fucking love the place.

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #62 on: April 13, 2011, 08:20:06 PM »
Yes, it makes me pretty uncomfortable.  Even when there aren't a bunch of employees approaching you, there seem to be even more hovering in your vicinity just waiting for you to ask for assistance.

I hate being in a store/etc and either being constantly approached, or silently STARED AT the whole time I'm there.  :facepalm:

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
« Reply #63 on: April 13, 2011, 08:21:15 PM »
I bought Devin Townsend's Synchestra album at a best buy once. I dunno how the fuck that happened.
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #64 on: April 13, 2011, 09:03:45 PM »
Generally, I try to go to local record stores, but Best Buy definitely has the best prices and a fairly decent selection when compared to other big-time electronic stores.

As for the nagging employees, I've never really had a problem with that.

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #65 on: April 14, 2011, 08:23:54 AM »
I'm with the OP.  Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't understand how companies think it is good customer service to bother the hell out of its customers.  The worst is furniture stores.  I understand they work on commission, but I am completely turned off when they offer help before im fully in the door.  It makes me want to leave immediately.  It also prevents me from looking at anything in detail, for fear of showing interest and attracting a salesperson.  ugh.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: April 14, 2011, 08:35:10 AM »

If your favorite bookstore doesn't sell on amazon or ebay, that's their own damn fault.

Offline RandalGraves

« Reply #67 on: April 14, 2011, 08:37:57 AM »
Yes, it makes me pretty uncomfortable.  Even when there aren't a bunch of employees approaching you, there seem to be even more hovering in your vicinity just waiting for you to ask for assistance.

I hate being in a store/etc and either being constantly approached, or silently STARED AT the whole time I'm there.  :facepalm:

You're a woman, get used to it.

Although I agree with the majority here and usually don't like being harassed, BUT that's how most employees seem to be trained.  When I worked at Borders (before it closed), that's how we were trained and unfortunately a lot of the guests who came there were the type expected to be approached, or too dumb to approach the giant fucking "Customer Service" sign in the center of the store.

The last time I checked the sales figures, I believe Borders made up about 12% of book sales, B&N 16% and almost all the rest were Amazon.  These stores are on their way out.

Also, the Best Buy selection in my area sucks.   :-[

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #68 on: April 14, 2011, 08:46:30 AM »
Oh, I get that it is not the sales peoples' fault, as they have to do it; that is their job and what they were trained to do.  And even complaining to the store management wouldn't make a difference, as that crap usually comes from the higher-ups at the corporate office, and the store manager has to have his employees trained the way he is told by corporate.  That doesn't make it any less annoying to me, though. 

I did, however, go the link provided on the receipt, where you talk about customer satisfaction, and ream them for their annoying sales tactics.  And I did nicely and to the point, instead of rambling like a crazy person. :lol  Probably won't make a difference, but it made me feel better for a bit. :biggrin:

Offline lodeus

« Reply #69 on: April 14, 2011, 09:12:25 AM »
I never usually need help anyways, and if I do ask for help its because I'm just confirming they don't have what I'm looking for. 

The salespeople that annoy me are the ones that think they sale me something. I usually always go into a store knowing what I'm going to buy.