Author Topic: Best Buy sucks big time now  (Read 8583 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Best Buy sucks big time now
« on: April 12, 2011, 07:10:23 PM »
They have turned into one of those stores where someone asks you every 23 seconds if you need help.  I hate that.  It's like, there are 493 sales people walking around.  If I freaking need something, I think I can find someone rather quickly to ask them.  But hey, at least they are smart enough to have only one checkout lane open, regardless of how backed up it gets.  Because we wouldn't want to open a second lane, 'cause then we'd only have 492 sales people walking around the store.  Ugh.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Best Buy sucks big time now
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 07:11:29 PM »
Luckily my experiences haven't been too negative there. :)
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 07:13:27 PM »
I'm applying for a job there.

:(

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 07:14:02 PM »
You are luckier than I was tonight, Adami.  Seriously, I was in the music section for barely a minute (was getting the new Foo Fighters CD), and three different sales people stopped to ask me if I needed help.  That is ridiculous.

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 07:16:00 PM »
best buy's crap is totally overpriced.
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 07:17:30 PM »
They have turned into one of those stores where someone asks you every 23 seconds if you need help.

Immediately I :facepalm:'d at that.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 07:17:33 PM »
I have to agree with you Kev, my best buy shopping experience has gone downhill from ok to just horrible. I try to avoid shopping there whenever possible.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 07:17:38 PM »
You are luckier than I was tonight, Adami.  Seriously, I was in the music section for barely a minute (was getting the new Foo Fighters CD), and three different sales people stopped to ask me if I needed help.  That is ridiculous.

It's at that point you should say "yeah actually, where are your fizwaschnawdles?" Or make up something similar with a crazy name, then get all indignant and angry when they claim to have never heard of them.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 07:22:51 PM »

It's at that point you should say "yeah actually, where are your fizwaschnawdles?" Or make up something similar with a crazy name, then get all indignant and angry when they claim to have never heard of them.

Heh, I was in a hurry, otherwise I would have loved to have bugged them, asking them how in the world they don't have Porcupine Tree's Voyage 34 in stock. :biggrin:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 07:23:34 PM »
I have to agree with you Kev, my best buy shopping experience has gone downhill from ok to just horrible. I try to avoid shopping there whenever possible.

I generally do, too, but I'll still get new CDs there the day or week they come out, since they are usually pretty cheap. 

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2011, 07:24:30 PM »

Heh, I was in a hurry, otherwise I would have loved to have bugged them, asking them how in the world they don't have Porcupine Tree's Voyage 34 in stock. :biggrin:

They didn't have Voyage 34 in stock? :omg:

Bastards!
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2011, 07:33:00 PM »
Yes, it makes me pretty uncomfortable.  Even when there aren't a bunch of employees approaching you, there seem to be even more hovering in your vicinity just waiting for you to ask for assistance.

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2011, 07:35:01 PM »
I'm definitely doing that next time I'm there

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2011, 07:48:40 PM »
They've been sucking when their cd collection here started to dwindle into half the aisle size.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2011, 08:03:54 PM »
You are luckier than I was tonight, Adami.  Seriously, I was in the music section for barely a minute (was getting the new Foo Fighters CD), and three different sales people stopped to ask me if I needed help.  That is ridiculous.

They didn't have Voyage 34 in stock? :omg:

Bastards!
I actually saw Voyage 34 at Best Buy a few years ago. My brother bought it.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2011, 08:27:47 PM »
Fry's FTW
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2011, 08:50:30 PM »
I only go there for the 3 day sales on DVD's and CD's, fast and painless.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2011, 09:34:20 PM »
That kind of annoying "customer service" is actually the reason I never go into FYE anymore, even if just to browse.  Employees there pester you and ask if you want to preorder the new "band name here" CD before you even get to the checkout counter.

Offline j

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2011, 09:36:19 PM »

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2011, 10:12:13 PM »
I love Best Buy. They have all my favorite Behold the Arctopus, Merzbow, and 1950's Filipino film-noir soundtracks cd's there!
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline Edan the Man

• DTF.org Alumni
  • I got my special savin' the world boots on
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2011, 10:17:05 PM »
I work at walmart, and they teach us the "ten foot rule", to ask anyone that walks within ten feet of you if they ned help. Most of us don't follow it though :lol

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2011, 10:22:01 PM »
I work at Home Depot and we're supposed to ask everyone if they need help but least I try to be courteous about it. If I see or hear that a customer has already been asked and they say no I try to leave them alone as much as I can. I also try to remember who I've already asked so I don't end up pestering someone more than once.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2011, 10:26:50 PM »
I work at walmart, and they teach us the "ten foot rule", to ask anyone that walks within ten feet of you if they ned help. Most of us don't follow it though :lol
This kind of rule is supposed to be that if someone is within 10 feet, you make eye contact to guage if the person needs help and to show that you care. That said, it's not surprising someone at walmart screwed that up.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2011, 10:32:05 PM »
I actually love when people ask if I need any help. To me it shows that there are people around if needed. I hate wondering around the store trying to find someone to help me... as far as best buy goes... too expensive haha

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2011, 11:04:01 PM »
I love Best Buy. They have all my favorite Behold the Arctopus, Merzbow, and 1950's Filipino film-noir soundtracks cd's there!

Mine has black and white egyptian movies from the 40s and 30s that my parents sometimes catch on their foreign satellite channels.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2011, 11:07:11 PM »
I have like 20 friends who work at the one in my city. :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2011, 11:09:56 PM »
Best Buy is the lowest priced store around, and I rarely get asked if I need help.  If I do need help, I'll find someone and ask.  No big deal.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2011, 11:15:04 PM »
Best Buy is the lowest priced store around, and I rarely get asked if I need help.  If I do need help, I'll find someone and ask.  No big deal.

Exactly that, never had such problems with the ones I go to.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2011, 11:51:17 PM »
I generally have the opposite problem.  I feel like I spend half my time looking for someone who isn't helping someone already.  I have found BBuy is about as affordable of a retail store I have found

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2011, 12:06:00 AM »
They have turned into one of those stores where someone asks you every 23 seconds if you need help.  I hate that.  It's like, there are 493 sales people walking around.  If I freaking need something, I think I can find someone rather quickly to ask them.  But hey, at least they are smart enough to have only one checkout lane open, regardless of how backed up it gets.  Because we wouldn't want to open a second lane, 'cause then we'd only have 492 sales people walking around the store.  Ugh.

I know a guy that when he isn't deployed, he's a greeter/receipt-checker person at Best Buy. One day, on my way out, I mentioned to him the chicken-hawk mentality of the sales crew. He agreed that it's ridiculous, and promptly requested the presence of the sales manager. She showed up and he goes "Tell her what you told me." I don't care to be put on the spot, but I went ahead and told her anyway. It didn't change anything, but hopefully enough people will complain that something does eventually happen.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2011, 12:09:18 AM »
I was talking to someone about my band in BestBuy and gave them a burned copy of our EP. I was quickly pounced on by employees telling me that I could not solicit material. Fuck them.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2011, 03:43:37 AM »
Last time I went there the record selection was so bad that I decided I'd just do all my buying online from now on. The thing is, the stuff I was looking for wasn't even that rare; certainly not stuff I hadn't seen in Best Buy before. To name a few bands Best Buy just didn't seem to be carrying at all:

Any Porcupine Tree album aside from The Incident.
Any Queen album aside from the Greatest Hits and ANatO
Any Frank Zappa.
Devin Townsend's Ki.
Any Opeth.
Any Within Temptation.

etc., etc.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2011, 05:40:35 AM »

We have something similar. Lowe's and Home Depot are the same. Everyone one is fighting for the customer and this kind of service is what's preached.
Greeting everyone within 10 feet is tough. I feel like a stalker. I love when I ask someone if they need help, and I get the eye rolling "Nah, I'm All set (creep)" look. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2011, 05:49:16 AM »
I'm happy to hear they have hired so many people in tough times. I love to see people working. I know it can suck when you don't want to be bothered, but its better to say, I'm good than complain you can't find someone to help you when you really want it.
As far as the checkout goes. That is a major fail. Retail stores train every employee to be able to function competently on a register, and management is to blame for this incompetence. In Lowe's, if more than two people are in the open lines, employees are called to open a register. Their is no excuse for stupid shit like that.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2011, 05:50:52 AM »

We have something similar. Lowe's and Home Depot are the same. Everyone one is fighting for the customer and this kind of service is what's preached.
Greeting everyone within 10 feet is tough. I feel like a stalker. I love when I ask someone if they need help, and I get the eye rolling "Nah, I'm All set (creep)" look. :lol
People are never happy. When they can't find help when they need it they lose there minds.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi