Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 628258 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #5775 on: September 29, 2017, 08:54:48 AM »
Holy crap, that's a massive budget. This is gonna be good.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5776 on: September 29, 2017, 09:11:30 AM »
Season 8 budget to be about $15 million per episode. I can only imagine all the crazy CGI that's going to be there. The wait is going to be really excruciating.
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/09/game-of-thrones-how-much-does-the-final-season-8-cost-per-episode-15-million

Is that much money though for a CGI budget? That's $90M for the season. Even if all 6 episodes were 1.5 hours long, that's 9 hours of runtime. 90 minute feature length films have had budgets way in excess of that. The first transformers was something like $150M because it was so CGI heavy. $90M for 8-10 hours of CGI heavy episodes doesn't seem like a lot.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5777 on: September 29, 2017, 09:32:48 AM »
It's a lot of money for a TV show that's for sure.  Probably going to be #1 all time at 15 million per episode.  Hard to compare to a big time movie budget though.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/most-expensive-tv-shows-ever.html/?a=viewall

Don't know how accurate that is, but it would be #1 compared to that.

But you need to remember the budget isn't all CGI.  Got to pay all those actors with increasing rates as the seasons go on, plus filming on so many different locations (although since most characters are in the same spots now, maybe not so much).  But I think it's safe to say a lot of that budget is going to end up in CGI.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5778 on: September 29, 2017, 09:51:50 AM »
It's a lot of money for a TV show that's for sure.  Probably going to be #1 all time at 15 million per episode.  Hard to compare to a big time movie budget though.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/most-expensive-tv-shows-ever.html/?a=viewall

Don't know how accurate that is, but it would be #1 compared to that.

But you need to remember the budget isn't all CGI.  Got to pay all those actors with increasing rates as the seasons go on, plus filming on so many different locations (although since most characters are in the same spots now, maybe not so much).  But I think it's safe to say a lot of that budget is going to end up in CGI.

That list forgot about Terra Nova (one season)

After eventually landing at Fox, the production has snowballed. The series overall has cost the network a staggering $70 million (£45 million) to produce, with the pilot episode alone coming in at in excess of $20 million (£13 million).

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/2011-10-03/terra-nova-and-the-most-expensive-tv-ever-made/

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5779 on: September 29, 2017, 10:30:59 AM »
I'm curious just how much money goes into the dragons alone. They looked absolutely spectacular in season 7. The only other dragon I've ever seen that comes close to looking as good as them was Smaug in the Hobbit films, but Dany's dragons look far more fierce and intimidating than even he did. From the close-up of Drogon letting Jon touch him, to the loot train battle, to the dragons battling the wight army and Viserion slipping beneath the water, it was all perfect. I'm so psyched to see what they do with them in this last season and I hope at least one lives - makes sense for a second dragon to live for Jon to ride but it's entirely possible that one (or both) will be lost in the war.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5780 on: September 29, 2017, 10:35:23 AM »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5781 on: September 29, 2017, 10:41:37 AM »
 :lol :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #5782 on: September 29, 2017, 10:47:10 AM »
Season 8 budget to be about $15 million per episode. I can only imagine all the crazy CGI that's going to be there. The wait is going to be really excruciating.
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/09/game-of-thrones-how-much-does-the-final-season-8-cost-per-episode-15-million

Is that much money though for a CGI budget? That's $90M for the season. Even if all 6 episodes were 1.5 hours long, that's 9 hours of runtime. 90 minute feature length films have had budgets way in excess of that. The first transformers was something like $150M because it was so CGI heavy. $90M for 8-10 hours of CGI heavy episodes doesn't seem like a lot.

I believe previous seasons had a budget of about $10m per episode on average, so this should not be a problem. I don't think it's worth comparing a TV budget with a movie budget, because TV saves money in the long run with reusing sets/props/costumes etc, less expensive cast, and the CGI workflow is less costly, even for GOT.
It's also not worth comparing pilot episodes, as that includes a lot of those initial costs that spread across a show's run, as I previously mentioned. The pilot episode of Star Trek Voyager cost $23m, and that was over 20 years ago (no idea what the average episode cost).
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #5783 on: September 29, 2017, 11:45:28 AM »
That list forgot about Terra Nova (one season)

I really liked that show and had high hopes for it. Was a cool concept...
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline faizoff

« Reply #5784 on: September 29, 2017, 02:05:09 PM »
Yeah I wouldn't compare movie budgets with TV shows. I'm sure there are other shows that have higher budgets than GOT but in comparison from one season of GOT to another the budget is definitely more per episode and even then they really aren't evenly distributed from what I understand. Some episodes can be more CGI intense than others. The dragons will definitely eat up a big chunk of it. Should be interesting. I'm more convinced now it will be 2019 March-April when the show returns.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5785 on: October 05, 2017, 01:29:50 AM »
Saw reports of an interview with Liam Cunningham saying that next week they'll finish reading the scripts and they'll start shooting between the 15th and the 18th, he assumes  :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5786 on: October 05, 2017, 09:45:39 AM »
Multiple endings would make for a wonderful Blu-ray bonus feature. Just sayin'...

How exciting it must be to be an actor on a hugely popular show like this. Getting the scripts must feel like Christmas!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5787 on: October 05, 2017, 09:46:48 AM »
It would be so hard to not tell your close friends and family who I am sure are constantly asking.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5788 on: October 05, 2017, 09:49:27 AM »
It would be so hard to not tell your close friends and family who I am sure are constantly asking.

I guess that with the job you learn how to deal with fame, fans asking autographs, the red carpets etc and so in the end you also learn how to keep your mouth shut.

Same for musicians, they have to learn to not say anything about an album that will be released in 5 months time. Think how many months must have passed since JP presented the idea for The Astonishing, and the album was announced!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5789 on: October 05, 2017, 09:57:30 AM »
I think it's easier to not tell fans than to not tell friends and family though. Sure it's the same for many professions but got to imagine it's tough.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5790 on: October 05, 2017, 11:19:50 AM »
Yeah. It's probably easier knowing your job/pay is on the line if word gets out you leaked, but it'd be SO hard for me to not be like, "Mom!! Guess what?!" after reading the script  :lol

EDIT: Well, maybe not job... you can't just fire them, so it's probably a pay thing haha

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5791 on: October 05, 2017, 01:46:20 PM »
Kit Harrington had it worse, when he had to say goodbye to everyone on set after Jon Snow got killed at the end of Season 5. Some believed him (Sophie Turner), some others didn't (Liam Cunningham), and he had to basically lie to his colleagues and family and it was kinda bad for him. I remember him commenting in an interview how at first it looked like a fun secret to keep, but over time it became hard to continously lie to everyone.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #5792 on: October 06, 2017, 06:17:42 AM »
I wish they'd release all six final episode as feature length films (1.5-2 hrs) and release them as they're done, one every month or two  starting mid-2018 or something. Although it will be fun to have it all finish up over six weeks in 2019 or whenever it's done.

I also wonder if HBO wouldn't be better off having a season of 10 1 hour episodes rather than 6 1.5 hour episodes. It would just require a different editing approach. You'd keep people watching and potentially paying for your channel for another month.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5793 on: October 06, 2017, 08:01:52 AM »
I wish they'd release all six final episode as feature length films (1.5-2 hrs) and release them as they're done, one every month or two  starting mid-2018 or something.

That's a cool idea, I'd like that.  Gives the fans something to talk about for a month between episodes, keep the show in the news for longer.  I'm going to be so sad when this show ends.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #5794 on: October 06, 2017, 08:45:17 AM »
Aside from the production length, Season 7 was not eligible for the Emmy's this year.  Which means that it's eligible for next year's Emmy's.

I doubt HBO would air Season 8 during the window where it would also be ellibigle for next year's Emmy's (early-mid 2018).  That way they aren't doubling up and are extending the window where the show can continue to be eligible for consecutive years.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5795 on: October 06, 2017, 08:55:14 AM »
I also wonder if HBO wouldn't be better off having a season of 10 1 hour episodes rather than 6 1.5 hour episodes. It would just require a different editing approach. You'd keep people watching and potentially paying for your channel for another month.

I still think they should have kept the 10 episodes format until the end. With the extra running time of Season 7 you already have an 8th episode there, just make low budget scenes to flesh out more characters to fill up space. Or, do short timeshift scenes to give a better sense of time passing, avoiding the critics about time and space being forgotten.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5796 on: October 06, 2017, 01:40:01 PM »
Aside from the production length, Season 7 was not eligible for the Emmy's this year.  Which means that it's eligible for next year's Emmy's.

I doubt HBO would air Season 8 during the window where it would also be ellibigle for next year's Emmy's (early-mid 2018).  That way they aren't doubling up and are extending the window where the show can continue to be eligible for consecutive years.

Oh hell... I hadn't thought about that.

You think maybe HBO will use a full length feature film to cap off season 8? Probably not gonna happen but I've thought about that possibility for a few years now and it would be one glorious, epic finale for one of the most successful shows of all time.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #5797 on: October 06, 2017, 02:16:46 PM »
They've ruled out the idea of ending with a movie.I think GRRM wanted to end that way. As far as I know for now season 8 is it.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5798 on: October 06, 2017, 02:59:26 PM »
I'm against the idea of the show ending with a movie.  However, if they wanted to revisit the world with a movie, I would be OK with that.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5799 on: October 06, 2017, 03:05:46 PM »
Hey, in rewatching the series (again), I can't believe I'm only now noticing this, but.. Jaqen H'ghar. Arya took a life that was not hers to kill (the waif). But he still let her return to Westeros. Surely the Faceless Men aren't going to just let her go? Will she live through season 8? I can see her easily being taken out because she thinks she's safe and far away. Unless I missed a detail or don't understand the faceless men as well as I thought I did.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #5800 on: October 06, 2017, 10:15:56 PM »
Hey, in rewatching the series (again), I can't believe I'm only now noticing this, but.. Jaqen H'ghar. Arya took a life that was not hers to kill (the waif). But he still let her return to Westeros. Surely the Faceless Men aren't going to just let her go? Will she live through season 8? I can see her easily being taken out because she thinks she's safe and far away. Unless I missed a detail or don't understand the faceless men as well as I thought I did.

The waif was sent to kill her and Arya bested her.  So I guess her training was done and she was believed to be ready to go out into the world as a faceless man?  That's what I've always believed.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #5801 on: October 06, 2017, 11:30:42 PM »

The waif was sent to kill her and Arya bested her.  So I guess her training was done and she was believed to be ready to go out into the world as a faceless man?  That's what I've always believed.

That's how I saw it as well.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5802 on: October 07, 2017, 09:46:18 AM »
Right. I guess what I'm confused on is this: Arya finally (and in the most awesome way possible) killed Meryn Trant, but Jaqen told her 'the girl has taken a life that was not hers to take; the God of Death is owed a life' or something very close. So technically there was never a life repaid, since the waif obviously failed. So I'm wondering if Jaqen hasn't forgotten that and will send someone after her, or if I'm just overanalyzing it and her training really was completed and she's all good. I don't think they got that far in the books, so I don't know if anyone can help there.

Regardless I'm glad Arya is back home, Littlefinger is gone, and (hopefully) there will be a nice bittersweet Stark reunion before the very end of season 8.  :biggrin:

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5803 on: October 07, 2017, 05:04:10 PM »
Well the Meryn Trant thing was repaid to the god of death. When one of the Jaqen’s drank the poison himself instead of forcing Arya to drink it.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5804 on: October 07, 2017, 07:01:55 PM »
D'oh. I've never seemed to remember that part for some reason. Thanks BlackInk. Now I feel silly  :lol

Offline faizoff

« Reply #5805 on: October 07, 2017, 07:25:38 PM »
Another thing I was wondering, in the season five finale, when jaqen h'ghar drinks that poison and dies we see Arya ripping out all those faces we then see Aryas face as one of them. What is up with that? Anyone know? I thought only the dead faces could be used.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5806 on: October 20, 2017, 02:40:54 AM »
Yeah, that puzzled me as well.

The other day with some time to kill I read Wikiquote's page for Season 1, reliving in short the initial season... I should really rewatch that some time.

Knowing now what we know, it should be way more interesting to see it all pan out: the relationships between the various houses, while at the time it was lucky to remember more than three names and who was who, Theon as steward, Ned Stark insisting that Jon was a bastard, and so on...

Also, damn Ned's honor, when Renly told him to take the children away from Cersei when King Robert was on his deathbed... that was the right thing to do, but of course Ned wouldn't have it, and disaster ensued.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #5807 on: October 20, 2017, 08:00:01 AM »
I usually do a marathon start to finish watch before each season starts but haven't been able to do that the last two seasons. I've just been watching the prior season. I will probably do a full rewatch once the season 7 box-set comes out this December.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5808 on: October 20, 2017, 11:44:47 AM »
As far as Arya and Jaqen H'ghar goes... https://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/169561/why-is-jaqen-wearing-aryas-face

That's what I came across in a Google search for the question. Who knows, basically.

I finished watching the series again a couple weeks ago. Something like 65 hours of television. Oof.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5809 on: October 20, 2017, 11:56:08 AM »
I wish I had a magical selector that would allow me to skip through all the sections I don't care for. Not that I particularly do not care for any of the storylines, I like them all, but sometimes when you've already seen the episodes and you're in rewatching mode, maybe you don't care for what happens to Dany in Essos (basically nothing for 6 seasons until she drags her butt to Westeros... haha, just kiddin'), so it would be nicer to stay with Westeros.

Also, it would be interesting to watch all the storylines apart - seeing only Westeros, only Essos, only jon at the Wall... just to get a better feel of what it's like for the character to live in their own reality, while stuff that happens elsewhwere doesn't touch them and gets told only through ravens.

For absurd - imagine that you'd be able to show someone only the scenes in King's Landing, which alore are worth a show of its own, and then after 5 seasons of that "would you like to see scenes set in the north where a bunch of guys dressed in black patrol a Wall built because of old myths?"... probably someone wouldn't care, and everyone in King's Landing don't care either, but they should 'cause the White Walkers are real and they're coming to kill everyone!!!