Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 628197 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #5670 on: August 28, 2017, 11:49:52 AM »
They're speed holes. They make the dragon go faster.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #5671 on: August 28, 2017, 11:50:45 AM »
The dragon shouldn't be able to fly for too long though, since his body will continue rotting.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5672 on: August 28, 2017, 12:00:32 PM »
The dragon shouldn't be able to fly for too long though, since his body will continue rotting.

Do they actually rot though? Or were rotten undead already well on their way into rotting before the night king raised them? I've been questioning this recently because a lot of the undead army doesn't really look like they are rotting at all. Some have wounds (probably from fighting), but they don't seem to be decaying.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5673 on: August 28, 2017, 12:01:04 PM »
The cold weather should keep him fresh for now.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5674 on: August 28, 2017, 12:10:38 PM »
Also, I think Cersei is pregnant with Euron's baby

I'm curious how she and Euron preplanned that whole charade with him announcing/lying he was leaving to the Iron Islands before they even knew what was being shown to her (walker).

You could tell Jamie was annoyed that Euron and Cersei had a plan that he was not aware of.  I do wonder if Euron did impregnate her behind the scenes as well.  Also, I'm guessing those to had some plans based on how the conversation with everyone else went.  Maybe Euron going off on Theon (seemingly out of no where) was part of setting their actions in motion.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #5675 on: August 28, 2017, 12:54:38 PM »
Also, I think Cersei is pregnant with Euron's baby

I'm curious how she and Euron preplanned that whole charade with him announcing/lying he was leaving to the Iron Islands before they even knew what was being shown to her (walker).

You could tell Jamie was annoyed that Euron and Cersei had a plan that he was not aware of.  I do wonder if Euron did impregnate her behind the scenes as well.  Also, I'm guessing those to had some plans based on how the conversation with everyone else went.  Maybe Euron going off on Theon (seemingly out of no where) was part of setting their actions in motion.

Yeah, I bet Euron and Cersei had a loose plan for him to leave at some point.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #5676 on: August 28, 2017, 02:06:02 PM »
Could be that they're forever stuck in whatever state of decay they were at the time of reanimation? The one they brought back to King's Landing was very decayed (you could see its guts trail along the ground after it was cut in half - sick/cool!), but the Hardhome residents were brought back right away. Or maybe they just forever decay until they're naught but bone. Who knows. I also noted the holes in Viserion's wings. Don't think something of that weight should be able to get enough lift with that many holes in its wings but whatever. It looks COOL.

Boy the north is in for a hell of a rough time next season. Arya better get on that list of hers.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #5677 on: August 28, 2017, 02:08:30 PM »
Thought it was a great way to end the season...plenty of cool things happened. And, although I had myself convinced Jaimie was going to kill Cersi at that arena....he still confirmed my suspicions that his sense of honor and his word would be what ultimately drove them apart. Which is what happened after he found out Cersi was lying and deceiving everyone. And, I like the fact that he didn't kill her because now that opens it up for Arya to fulfill her ultimate wish of killing Cersi. I'll be curious to see if Bronn and a few other Lannister soldiers will find out about Jaimie leaving and ultimately deserting to join him?

LOVED Dany's entrance to the meeting. That was pretty friggin' epic!!  :metal

As has been mentioned....Little Finger's demise and the manner in which Arya and Sansa 'tricked' him was not a surprise by any means as we all suspected that's what was going on....and all in all....it happened in a pretty neat way with him not having a clue.

Very curious as to when Jon and Dany find out Jon's true lineage.....what they are going to do? Will they embrace it anyway and just keep it all in the family or will they turn on one another? Which leads me to my answer to this:

For you hardcore GOT fans: What is the leading fan theory right now as to how the show ends? I don't follow that kind of thing too closely, but am curious to hear about where people think it's all going right now.

I've been convinced for some time that Jon's pension for honor and truth will lead him to sacrifice himself to the Night King to obtain a truce between man and White Walkers or even guarantee the Night Kings death. Maybe even take his spot? Whatever it may be I think he's going to willingly sacrifice his life to save mankind.....leaving Dany and their child to rule the 7 Kingdoms.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5678 on: August 28, 2017, 02:10:18 PM »
As for the impending Dragon fight....I don't think Drogon and the other one will have that hard a time defeating the Ice Dragon. They breath fire and fire kills the Wights and the re-animated animals so....I think it may be much about nothing with the Night King having that dragon. It served it's purpose and I suspect it'll have a swift demise if/when it's in battle.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5679 on: August 28, 2017, 02:13:47 PM »
As for the impending Dragon fight....I don't think Drogon and the other one will have that hard a time defeating the Ice Dragon. They breath fire and fire kills the Wights and the re-animated animals so....I think it may be much about nothing with the Night King having that dragon. It served it's purpose and I suspect it'll have a swift demise if/when it's in battle.

I agree, but I wonder how much more damage it will do before the ice meets fire.  Considering how quickly Dany took the dragons from Dragonstone to beyond the wall, one could say the night king can be in Kings Landing in a few hours to lay it to waste and start re-animating the dead created. BUT I don't think the show does that.  I guess I can't see the dead all of the sudden having the urgency to go so far south so quick.  I'm going to guess they head to Winterfell first, but keeping the dragon close by the army.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5680 on: August 28, 2017, 02:15:29 PM »

I agree, but I wonder how much more damage it will do before the ice meets fire.  Considering how quickly Dany took the dragons from Dragonstone to beyond the wall, one could say the night king can be in Kings Landing in a few hours to lay it to waste and start re-animating the dead created. BUT I don't think the show does that.  I guess I can't see the dead all of the sudden having the urgency to go so far south so quick.  I'm going to guess they head to Winterfell first, but keeping the dragon close by the army.

I agree. I see them as a 'slow and steady' march just destroying everything in their path. No massive strategic plan....just march and kill....march and kill....

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #5681 on: August 28, 2017, 02:37:24 PM »
Great finale! Maybe a bit slow and without too many goosebumps until the end, but this episode breathed and the meeting was excellent and realistic.

I bought into Euron fleeing in "Nope" mode, and I even bought into Cersei coming to her senses for once, but then it turned out she's still the same short-sighted bitch she's always been. Love Lena Headey, appreciate the complexity of her character, but I totally hate the imaginary person, I'm only glad she's living 'cause I can het her guts until the last second  ;D

Not a fan either of Jon humping his aunt, but I never ever thought he may have even had a different name. Aegon Targaryen!!!  :metal

Even if it was not spelled out, we can just assume that Bran was busy watching Westerflix and informed Sansa and Arya of everything, right? I realized moments before it happened that Littlefinger was to be called out, but until those very few seconds before, I was "Meh, Sansa is afraid of Arya, stupid her".

Littlefinger got what he deserved, but I thought his storyline was going nowhere. He was the master manipulator, always doing something, always a "friend" of the crown, then he openly declared for House Startk, and just hung around Winterfeel like a creep. Sure, he was still planning to turn Sansa against Arya, but compared to his carefully planned and executed machinations, that got him to be lord of Harrenhal and then of the Vale, he seemed to be just going nowhere in his ever forward rise to more and more importance.

And of course the ending was just badass, ice dragon laying shit and frozen havoc everywhere  :metal I thought the Wall would come down in its entirety, killing everyone at Castle Black - seeing people there die would have marked even more what a disaster it was, but the Night King  was more effective, he just tore down a part and the army simply marched through it.

I too think Tormund survived, staying on the safe side of the Wall - Berec was with him and there's no sense to kill off screen a man resurrected six times.

Now, the long night until the final season begins! and oh, a LOL moment - some weeks away I saw a parody metal group, they spoof Manowar, and the singer at a time called Dany "that slut with platinum hair". I laughed when Cersei essentially called her exactly that, talking to the Mountain, "If anything goes wrong, kill the silver haired bitch first"  :lol :lol :lol
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5682 on: August 28, 2017, 02:45:41 PM »
A small detail that i thought was peculiar was that as the Wight was charging Cersi....neither Jaimie nor The Mountain moved a muscle to step in front of her to stop it from attacking her? Maybe they saw the chain....who knows....but I'd have thought someone would have at least budged in that moment, especially since they were all on high alert and what not most likely suspecting a trap or plan to kill Cersi? But...alas....they just let that thing charge her   :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5683 on: August 28, 2017, 02:50:12 PM »
I thought the same thing... where is the Mountain?? but maybe they saw the chain like you said.

Also loved how The Hound immediately approached the Mountain.  Said he knew what was coming for him.  Cleganebowl next season?!  I think it seems the writers punted a lot of what we thought may happen till next season.  So many people were sure we'd get Cleganebowl and it was soo close to happening.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #5684 on: August 28, 2017, 02:50:35 PM »
A small detail that i thought was peculiar was that as the Wight was charging Cersi....neither Jaimie nor The Mountain moved a muscle to step in front of her to stop it from attacking her? Maybe they saw the chain....who knows....but I'd have thought someone would have at least budged in that moment, especially since they were all on high alert and what not most likely suspecting a trap or plan to kill Cersi? But...alas....they just let that thing charge her   :lol

Also, they all went down at the arena for the first time, how did the Hound know the precise distance at which the chain would have held back the wight?  :lol

I'd like to think however that the pure shock mixed with the speed of the wight froze Jaimie and the Mountain. Hey, even the best goalkeepers stand still when hit by the perfect free kick.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5685 on: August 28, 2017, 03:41:35 PM »
Great episode. I thought the writing improved a lot with this episode. Although there were a lot of characters with no lines, this episode was main players only.

I liked the way Littlefinger went down, the look of surprise on his face was brilliant. I am glad Arya got to do it.

Bran with Sam was great, but something that seemed a bit of a shock, he can see the past etc, but Sam had to tell him to look and see the secret wedding.
I would have liked a quick clip of the citadel where Jim Broadbent (can't remember the character name) realized Sam has gone.

I don't know how I feel about Jon and Dany, it was hinted, and Tyrion in the hallway, does he know they are related? Or what other reason was the expression on his face?
He doesn't appear to be in love with Dany.

I liked the Hound's reaction when he spoke of Arya to Brienne, he almost seemed to smile when it was revealed she is still alive. I am looking forward to their reunion.

I hope Theon does get to kill his Uncle, and in the opening episode of next season.

I still feel like Cersei is lying about the pregnancy, who knows....
Jamie finally ridding himself of Cersei was brilliant, but where is he riding to? Shame Bronn was not with him. After all he was his saviour not too long ago.

I am sure Tormund and Beric have survived the wall falling, but where was Gendry? And where is Ghost?

I only watched it a few hours ago, and feel like I need to rewatch that entire season asap.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5686 on: August 28, 2017, 04:12:04 PM »
Some good questions there Lucky.

Tyrion outside the bedroom was a bit odd.  I think that keeps the flame going that Tyrion is secretly working with the Cersei although I don't buy it.

How the heck does Bran know all yet didn't know Jon was legitimate?  I guess maybe he only sees what he wants and didn't know to look in that direction?  But you'd think he'd follow Rheagar around in his visions since he is so important.

I finally believe that Cersei is pregnant.  I was very hesitant but the momeny Tyrion questioned was the moment I became a believer.  Him spotting that seems very likely now.

And yea, where is Ghost?  How does Jon go anywhere without him.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5687 on: August 28, 2017, 04:41:37 PM »
I think Tyrions demeanor was that of him now knowing that he's lost Dany's ear so to speak. His advice and counsel will be second tier next to Jons now and he knows it.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5688 on: August 28, 2017, 05:00:28 PM »
Then again he could feel bad for having just cut a deal with his sister? The scene cuts out right after he guesses she's pregnant and that was on the heels of him telling Jon to learn to lie every now and then. Maybe he sold out Dany and Jon and feels bad for it? Who knows.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5689 on: August 28, 2017, 06:05:08 PM »
So,

If the night king didn't get a dragon (which was pretty much hand delivered to him), would the white walkers have been able to even get past the wall?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #5690 on: August 28, 2017, 06:43:30 PM »
So,

If the night king didn't get a dragon (which was pretty much hand delivered to him), would the white walkers have been able to even get past the wall?

There's a theory - one I don't buy into quite yet - that deals with the Night King and time travel and that somehow this was destined to happen... I dunno. I feel like eventually they would've found a way. I mean, they literally just have to beat down the doors into the tunnels, or pick through the ice with tools (we know they can use them, re: the chains used to drag up Viserion from the water)... So yeah probably. But who knows... magic! :)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #5691 on: August 28, 2017, 07:37:05 PM »

Do they actually rot though? Or were rotten undead already well on their way into rotting before the night king raised them? I've been questioning this recently because a lot of the undead army doesn't really look like they are rotting at all. Some have wounds (probably from fighting), but they don't seem to be decaying.

I spy Mastodon band members

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5692 on: August 28, 2017, 07:41:58 PM »
I think Tyrions demeanor was that of him now knowing that he's lost Dany's ear so to speak. His advice and counsel will be second tier next to Jons now and he knows it.

This for sure.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Adami

« Reply #5693 on: August 28, 2017, 08:36:53 PM »

I just rewatched the scene. It's REALLY subtle, but you can actually see the Mountain go for his sword before the walker is pulled back.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #5694 on: August 28, 2017, 08:47:47 PM »
How the heck does Bran know all yet didn't know Jon was legitimate?  I guess maybe he only sees what he wants and didn't know to look in that direction?  But you'd think he'd follow Rheagar around in his visions since he is so important.

Bran only sees parts of visions and they don't really make sense to him.  The showrunners confirmed this, otherwise Bran being all-knowing would be unstoppable and there's no point in the show anymore.  His "downloading" of the 3-Eyed Raven's knowledge was interrupted by the Night King and wights, so he never fully learned how to control his visions.   

So Bran can see things, but can't see them in full, or can't understand how to piece them together until he has a little guidance.  Then he knows where to look - imagine having to find a needle in a haystack.  It's impossible.  When Sam gave him that tidbit, Bran was able to zero in on where the needle was in his mind.

Offline Adami

« Reply #5695 on: August 28, 2017, 09:02:35 PM »
I heard it on youtube said best. Bran has the internet, but no google. He has access to all the info, but needs to know to look for it. He doesn't know everything, but he can if he wants to.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5696 on: August 28, 2017, 09:14:24 PM »

Awesome episode and season finale.  As far as the upcoming Dragon battle my question is, what will blue/frost fire do to the living dragons?  Will it turn them?

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5697 on: August 28, 2017, 09:33:32 PM »
A couple more thoughts:

1. It's unlikely that Bran is gonna repeat everything he said to Sam, to Jon on camera. I think they're prepping the reveal to Jon off camera and that would suck big time. Like 70% of my emotional investment in this story hung on the excitement on Jon's reaction to hearing about his parentage and what he is. And 30% in Dany's reaction to the same info.

2. So shall we presume that LF did not write Ramsey's letter to Jon? I kinda thought Bran would mention it after telling them about LF's betrayal of Ned Stark.

3. "Robert's Rebellion was based on a lie", who lied though? Who said Lyanna was kidnapped and rapped? Was it Robert to get The North behind him? But the North was already behind him after King Aerys killed Rickard and Brandon Stark.. Was it Ned's lie? That's pretty dishonorable for Ned, considering the destruction and lives the war cost.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5698 on: August 28, 2017, 09:36:04 PM »
I heard it on youtube said best. Bran has the internet, but no google. He has access to all the info, but needs to know to look for it. He doesn't know everything, but he can if he wants to.

^^  That is Brilliant!

This for sure.

Too true, we saw it at the table with the other guy whose name I forget... Shite, sorry memory is cactus at the moment.

Again wondering where Ghost is, but once Jon woke from the dead, has he cooled from Jon ... Jon is no longer the same person he knew by scent etc?! 
I am still puzzled by the scene episodes ago with Arya and her wolf, or wasn't it her wolf?!

So,

If the Dragon had not broken through the wall, their Giants surely could have done it, I thought they only had one, but there were more in that wide shot.

Offline Adami

« Reply #5699 on: August 28, 2017, 09:40:00 PM »
3. "Robert's Rebellion was based on a lie", who lied though? Who said Lyanna was kidnapped and rapped? Was it Robert to get The North behind him? But the North was already behind him after King Aerys killed Rickard and Brandon Stark.. Was it Ned's lie? That's pretty dishonorable for Ned, considering the destruction and lives the war cost.

Well, I think lie is just the most colorful word, cause "Robert's rebellion was based on an incorrect assumption based on an emotional reaction" doesn't quite roll off the tongue.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5700 on: August 28, 2017, 10:19:35 PM »
Again wondering where Ghost is, but once Jon woke from the dead, has he cooled from Jon ...

It's my assumption Ghost is at Winterfell or in the nearby area. That was the last place he was on screen. I don't think he's abandoned Jon....it's just that Jon hasn't been in the North for some time.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5701 on: August 28, 2017, 10:49:48 PM »

That's about how I figure it. We have the internet, but we don't know the information within it until we know what we're searching for and then look for it. The amount of information he has access to is mind boggling, plus his training was rushed and he's new to this.
He can see anything, but he doesn't know everything at all times. That also explains why most of what he knows on his own is related to his immediate family, and what the night king is up to. This is the stuff he'd think to see. He wouldn't have thought to find the marriage of Jon's parents till now, because he wasn't even aware it occurred at all.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5702 on: August 29, 2017, 04:22:32 AM »
Overall a great season with lots of progress and since the show in previous seasons been moving ridicously slowly at times (not a critique ) with lots of focus on character development season 7 felt like a cho cho train going at full speed ahead but honestly I didn't mind it at all and as many have mentioned not alot of room for character development left anyway.
The only depressing thing is the long wait for S08!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #5703 on: August 29, 2017, 04:42:10 AM »
Very cool episode.... I literally cheered when Sansa turned the tables, like by myself in my room screaming "FUCK YEAH!!!!!!", and Arya's turn to a smile right after was fucking brilliant.

Sansa didn't listen to her dad though. Didn't he say something way back when about the person who gives the sentence should be the one to swing the sword?

Why should she when she has such a skilled assassin at her side?
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5704 on: August 29, 2017, 05:51:22 AM »
If the walker army bulldozes Winterfell, I'm hoping we see all the Starks in the crypts risen to fight alongside the Night King.