Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 632477 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #5635 on: August 27, 2017, 08:51:11 PM »
A friend of mine just told me it could've been better by having a battle or two. When I told him it made no sense for there to be a big battle here (and that tradition was that the penultimate episode tends to have the most action), he said he just expects a big battle in the finale regardless. Strange. I thought it was an awesome episode, it was lengthy and tied up a lot of plots to which most of us predicted the conclusions, but it was so satisfying to watch for nearly 90 minutes. The final scene was something I've wanted to see for a long time and boy what a killer shot that was of the undead army marching south of the wall. Next season will be violent as hell, time to start the countdown... hope we don't have to wait til 2019.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online faizoff

« Reply #5636 on: August 27, 2017, 09:04:51 PM »
I stopped reading the theories or thinking too much about what's going to happen because there are very few ways things can go with what's left of the characters on the show. Most everyone will be right at this point, and that's why I checkout after the day of the episode airs.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5637 on: August 27, 2017, 09:08:20 PM »
Holy crap, what an episode!

Worst takeaway is easily the apparent death of Tormund.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5638 on: August 27, 2017, 09:14:20 PM »

How disappointed would you be if he and a couple others survived that?

Edit - disappointed in the writing, not the survival of the character lol

Online faizoff

« Reply #5639 on: August 27, 2017, 09:15:32 PM »
I think it was sorta implied that he was on the side of the wall that didn't fall. I don't think he's gone.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5640 on: August 27, 2017, 09:17:00 PM »
I think it was sorta implied that he was on the side of the wall that didn't fall. I don't think he's gone.

That's why I ask the question. I have a feeling he and Beric survived. Someone has to send a raven.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5641 on: August 27, 2017, 09:22:13 PM »
Some people noticed this:

It's not shopped, I went back to episode and the eyes do change when Jon comes out of the water.
Then a few hours ago IGN posted an interview with the director of the episode stating the eyes weren't meant to do anything and he has no idea what the fans are talking about.
So I did some digging, time stamp 9:52 in season 6 ep2, Jon is dead on the table and Longclaw is leaning on the wall, white eyes, like it was before Jon came out of the lake. Then end of season 6 ep3, Jon is alive and executing the mutineers, I see a glimpse of Longclaw when Jon and I can see the little black gems which shows up after Jon comes out of the lake.
Don't know what it means but it's interesting.

Happened again https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/EquatorialCoordinatedGrosbeak

Online faizoff

« Reply #5642 on: August 27, 2017, 09:23:01 PM »
Bran already knows, he was warged into the ravens that were at the wall.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5643 on: August 27, 2017, 09:24:15 PM »
Bran already knows, he was warged into the ravens that were at the wall.
lol duh, good point

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5644 on: August 27, 2017, 11:29:15 PM »
Chino I didn't catch that during the episode, so third time this happens!
Adami you and the people denying it made me think we have a "what color is the dress" kinda situation :lol:

I liked the finale okay. Everything I was expecting to happen has happened except I didn't care much for the way they handled the Bran/Sam reveal, I wanted to see Jon Snow finding out! That bit of acting and dialouge I've been looking forward to for so long would have been amazing! Instead they did a reveal for the 3 HBO viewers who have not been privileged enough to have an internet connection for the past 7 years.
When I complain about GoT, I'm only doing it against the standard they set. At it's worst it's still simply the best thing that's ever been on TV.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #5645 on: August 27, 2017, 11:31:43 PM »
Very cool episode.... I literally cheered when Sansa turned the tables, like by myself in my room screaming "FUCK YEAH!!!!!!", and Arya's turn to a smile right after was fucking brilliant.

Kinda creepy with the chat between Bran and Sam being the background "music" for Jon and Dany.

And I'm very relived the ice dragon breathed blue fire, that would've been hella lame if it was just fire. Also saw at least 4 or 5 giants, and 100k men...smart money is on the army of the dead.

A fucking year....don't know if I can last that long.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5646 on: August 28, 2017, 12:07:44 AM »
Ice dragon :metal

Another great episode. I was sure that Jaimie was going to die when she gave the kill command though.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #5647 on: August 28, 2017, 12:22:21 AM »
Ice dragon :metal

Another great episode. I was sure that Jaimie was going to die when she gave the kill command though.

Yep, I held my breath for a few at that moment...they even had some of their trademark "you're about to die" music start up.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #5648 on: August 28, 2017, 01:08:10 AM »
Fun episode. I loved all the stuff at the beginning.

As much as I was happy to see Littlefinger go, it really was just going through the motions.

I miss the complexities of the show, though the stuff with Cersie and stuff this episode brought some of it back.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #5649 on: August 28, 2017, 03:19:35 AM »
Anyone else confused at the opening scene? It's like they miscut that from somewhere earlier in the season because it gave no context.
That was Dany and her epic entourage arriving for the negotiations at the dragon pit. Not sure what's out of place or confusing about it?

And yeah really good episode although the all-out incest was kinda weird. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #5650 on: August 28, 2017, 03:48:45 AM »
I thought that was a great finale. I think the main reason people find it predictable now is because every single theory has been discussed to death, and some things are just logical when they've been set up so well over so long. I expect next season will be less predictable now we're so close to the end.

Theon's fight was funny. I was joking that the other guy should hit him in the balls and it has no effect, and then that's exactly what happened. :lol

It was rewarding to see little finger finally get what he had coming to him, and Bran to finally pay off. He's been sitting there with all the potential knowledge in the world, and it appeared that he was doing nothing. I'm glad the Starks came together and kicked his ass. :metal

And I've been kinda wanting Dany and Jon to get it on all season, so I'm down with them making pretty incest babbies. The breakup's gonna be a bitch, between finding out they're related, and both have claim to the throne, and then there's custody over the dragons. Messy.

The ending with the ice dragon was badass. People had been talking about it taking down the wall, but it totally snapped it. They missed an opportunity to have yet another season end with a dragon flying at the camera though. :lol

I have a feeling next season is going to be even more jam packed than this season.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #5651 on: August 28, 2017, 04:14:58 AM »
I don't really get why so many people have been so keen for Dany and Jon to get it on. I've also found his change of heart to bend the knee to her a bit random. She did nothing to warrant it other than turning up with dragons, but that just makes her powerful, not righteous.

One big question I'm interested in is how Jon being Aegon Targaryen relates to Egg from the books. It has been speculated that Egg is a fake and his story will go nowhere (somewhat like Frog, who was also ignored from the show), so if that's the case then I guess it doesn't really matter too much, but presumably we won't find out at least until Winds of Winter is released (if ever).

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5652 on: August 28, 2017, 06:13:28 AM »

That's why I ask the question. I have a feeling he and Beric survived. Someone has to send a raven.

He's definitely not dead. He's hauling ass to Castle Black.

The wall fell from left to right (all the way to the sea). Anyone on top of the wall to the left and beyond is safe.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5653 on: August 28, 2017, 06:22:56 AM »
Very cool episode.... I literally cheered when Sansa turned the tables, like by myself in my room screaming "FUCK YEAH!!!!!!", and Arya's turn to a smile right after was fucking brilliant.

Sansa didn't listen to her dad though. Didn't he say something way back when about the person who gives the sentence should be the one to swing the sword?

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #5654 on: August 28, 2017, 06:28:57 AM »
I really enjoyed last night's episode and the season in general.

For you hardcore GOT fans: What is the leading fan theory right now as to how the show ends? I don't follow that kind of thing too closely, but am curious to hear about where people think it's all going right now.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #5655 on: August 28, 2017, 06:58:50 AM »
I loved it, and agree that there's really no where else for the show to go in order to surprise us.  Fans have discussed so many theories to death, and some of them will turn out to be true.   Littlefinger tried to manipulate the wrong people this time.  It was nice to see him called to the carpet for the things that he's done.

According to WGN Chicago's entertainment reporter, season 8 won't air until 2019, but each episode may be feature film length.  Nothing has been confirmed by HBO, but that's the leading speculation - I would be fine with that.  It's a long, long wait (we waited that long for some Sopranos seasons too), but the giant-sized episodes would be awesome.  Up to 12 hours of Game of Thrones left, if that ends up happening.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5656 on: August 28, 2017, 07:14:18 AM »
I definitely enjoyed the episode, but kind of felt it wasn't a big bang besides the final minutes. 

The scene in the arena was kind of ridiculous, and I don't mean that in a bad way, but just seeing everyone, like literally almost every major character, in the same vicinity.  That was crazy, I don't think I ever expected to see so many of them together and not fighting.  That was kind of cool and seeing the dead still alive that far south put on the full show was fun.  I love how Jon said he would keep his word, and was brought up multiple times how that was very much like Ned, yet by the end of the episode we find out how big of a liar Ned actually was!  His lying is the reason Jon is alive.  While it was great to see Jon and Dany get it on, doing so during the reveal felt a bit odd.  Granted, I don't think it will matter much, just felt odd. 

The scene with Littlefinger may have been the biggest hurrah moment of the season.  This was the only logical ending to this storyline and it was pulled off well in the end.  My gf cheered when Sansa turned to Littlefinger and that way Arya just sliced his throat in the hall in front of everyone was bad ass.  Bran finally pulling through when he seemed to be in a daze that whole time.  Also Sam walking in to see Bran was a great scene and Sam with his odd face reactions to Bran were great.

Obviously the ice dragon was the highlight.  That ending was bad ass.  I always wondered how they would pass, I predicted the wall would come down, but it didn't fully.  There was no magic spells, just pure force from the dragons blue fire (was it actually fire?). 

While a lot of plot points were obvious and some of the story telling was poorer than previous seasons, there was one plotline that I did enjoy and was not so much expecting.  Cersei's pregnancy and her regained alliance with the Iron Bank.  I thought the Iron Bank backing Stannis would likely end their role in either the show or siding with the crown, but the whole Euron working with Cersei and paying back the bank seemed like a good storyline and plot point I didn't really expect to be so important.

So is Theon going to the Iron Islands when Euron isn't there?  And I'm guessing Tormund and Beric didn't die, but I hate leaving the fate of people like that.  Where's Gendry?

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #5657 on: August 28, 2017, 08:55:39 AM »
An excelllent finale. I loved the part in the dragon pit scene where The Hound marches right over to The Mountain and says something to the effect of "You're even uglier than I am"  :lol

Then he made some other comment like "You know who's coming for ya". At first I thought he was talking about himself, but what if it's not? What if Arya is the one to take down Ser Gregor? He is on her list after all..

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5658 on: August 28, 2017, 08:59:48 AM »
So is Theon going to the Iron Islands when Euron isn't there?  And I'm guessing Tormund and Beric didn't die, but I hate leaving the fate of people like that.  Where's Gendry?

Imagine if winter comes down, kills everyone, and then Theon is the last one standing  :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #5659 on: August 28, 2017, 10:06:54 AM »
An excelllent finale. I loved the part in the dragon pit scene where The Hound marches right over to The Mountain and says something to the effect of "You're even uglier than I am"  :lol

Then he made some other comment like "You know who's coming for ya". At first I thought he was talking about himself, but what if it's not? What if Arya is the one to take down Ser Gregor? He is on her list after all..

I thought The Hound was the one on her list, not Gregor. Or am I mistaken?

Lena Headey had some great acting this episode. 3 scenes in particular: the dragon pit when the wight was loosed and went straight for her, whole lot of fear shown in her face; the dialogue with Tyrion; the dialogue with Jaime. I thought for sure Jaime was going to buy the farm. I love how close to snapping she is. I hope she makes it to the finale/penultimate episode of the series and croaks one way or another. She (the character) is vile, but I love her, but I can't believe she'll live to see spring.

Also god damn is that wight dragon awesome. Is it just me or did Viserion 2.0 seem to fly far faster and more aggressive than before? I was genuinely startled when he came flying out of the clouds because I was looking for a silhouette in the distance and WHAM! here comes this dragon breathing frostfire all over the Wall.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #5660 on: August 28, 2017, 10:20:38 AM »

Also god damn is that wight dragon awesome. Is it just me or did Viserion 2.0 seem to fly far faster and more aggressive than before? I was genuinely startled when he came flying out of the clouds because I was looking for a silhouette in the distance and WHAM! here comes this dragon breathing frostfire all over the Wall.

I caught that as well, and at the time just chocked it off to being pumped to see him in action, but yeah, he did seem faster and more agile.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5661 on: August 28, 2017, 10:33:03 AM »

I caught that as well, and at the time just chocked it off to being pumped to see him in action, but yeah, he did seem faster and more agile.

The obvious answer is that the winter and cold air being brought forth by the Night King is creating a colder atmosphere. This is allowing the dragon to breathe in a greater mass of air in the same intake volume, resulting in improved muscle efficiency. It's also allowing the dragon's wings to bite into more molecules in the atmosphere, thrusting a greater mass of air behind and beneath it, resulting in an increase in the amount of lift it can generate. The dragon lost a lot of blood when it got speared, and therefore is lighter as a result.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 11:23:17 AM by Chino »

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5662 on: August 28, 2017, 11:02:55 AM »

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5663 on: August 28, 2017, 11:20:48 AM »
:lol
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5664 on: August 28, 2017, 11:35:10 AM »
Did Chino just explain the physics behind the breath of an undead dragon?

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #5665 on: August 28, 2017, 11:35:37 AM »
If you wanna talk about physics the dragon shouldn't be able to lift off with all those holes in its wings.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #5666 on: August 28, 2017, 11:36:17 AM »
Did Chino just explain the physics behind the breath of an undead dragon?

Yup. I'm quite impressed tbh...

If you wanna talk about physics the dragon shouldn't be able to lift off with all those holes in its wings.

Shhh...

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #5667 on: August 28, 2017, 11:43:10 AM »
Fantastic finale!  I was on the edge of my seat through the whole episode.

- I doubt Tormund and Berric are dead, too good of characters to kill off screen.
- I really thought Jamie was a gonner, they even played the evil Cersei music

Also, I think Cersei is pregnant with Euron's baby

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5668 on: August 28, 2017, 11:48:15 AM »

I disagree. Plenty of surface area left to generate lift, especially with the denser atmosphere as I described above. Bats have also been known to be able to fly with holes in their wings.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5669 on: August 28, 2017, 11:49:44 AM »
Also, I think Cersei is pregnant with Euron's baby

I'm curious how she and Euron preplanned that whole charade with him announcing/lying he was leaving to the Iron Islands before they even knew what was being shown to her (walker).