Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 628255 times)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #5390 on: August 12, 2017, 08:57:59 AM »
I just avoid this thread like plauge from Sunday afternoon to when I usually see the episode on Monday night.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5391 on: August 12, 2017, 12:10:00 PM »
I just avoid this thread like plauge from Sunday afternoon to when I usually see the episode on Monday night.

Same here, sometimes I'm browsing the forum on Monday (I watch it in the evening), and I say "ah, nice, new discussions on Got... no, wait a moment, don't enter"  :lol

I already dread one year from now the series finale. Will the internet be able to shut up for 24 hours or pull a nighter and watch it in real time? or just avoid completely Facebook for a day  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #5392 on: August 12, 2017, 07:28:29 PM »
Total dick move. Any talk of new episodes should only happen after the west coast airing time....
You don't get the 6pm showing on HBOeHD??

I do, but I have someplace I have to be from 6-7 on Sundays. :p

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #5393 on: August 13, 2017, 04:51:01 AM »
I could have downloaded last week's leaked episode early, but decided what's the point unless everyone else has watched it too, so waited until the regular time. But I figure once it's aired somewhere in the US, don't come into the thread until you've seen it.
I don't know if there are any other spoilers out there, and I don't want to know. Luckily I entirely forgot when someone spoiled that there was the dragon battle last week. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5394 on: August 13, 2017, 07:36:46 AM »
It would have been pretty wild if Jon snow would have grown the silver/white hair of a targaryen. Luckily for Ned, he grew the stark hair color.

And Honestly, I think Rhaegar is my favorite character, even though we've never seen them
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 01:24:31 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline faizoff

« Reply #5395 on: August 13, 2017, 08:22:33 PM »
Spoilers for EastWatch

This episode was a mine field of important information! Maybe the most important one of all. The king of the north is not a bastard. OMG! Such a casual drop of information!
That scene with Drogon and Jon was fucking epic.

Littlefinger fingering things as usual. Will have to find a screen grab of that scroll that Arya reads. Can't believe the congregation of characters at the end of the episode, it's like a mini fellowship of the rings.

Gendry's finally stopped rowing! Jaime and Tyrion!

So much awesome sauce in this episode. I honestly can't handle this anymore, that episode did not feel like an hour at all. Down to the final two epic showdowns.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline faizoff

« Reply #5396 on: August 13, 2017, 08:44:06 PM »
I have to say that I thought episode 3 this season was the best dialogue this season but then episode 5 comes along and kicks it in the nuts. Every scene was so important that not a line felt wasted.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5397 on: August 13, 2017, 08:52:36 PM »
Awesome episode, so much to take in, so much to yet happen.

I can't fucking believe cersei lannister is fucking pregnant again.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #5398 on: August 13, 2017, 09:18:14 PM »
That is probably the most bad-ass group of men that they've ever had on the show.  Some writer's wet dream of people who fuck shit up with swords all teaming up - Jon Snow, Tormund, Jorah, The Hound, Beric/Thoros - even Gendry.  I can't wait for next week.

Loved seeing Gendry again - I had a feeling Davros was going to look for him, loved Tyrion and Jamie.  Cersei keeps getting weirder and weirder.  Jon and the Dragon was awesome, and then Jorah returning to his Kahleesi to break up the romantic moment.  This season is so cool for just pairing up so many characters that had always been split apart.  I watch and just feel giddy seeing them all together.  Except for Sam - my heart just breaks for the guy and I'm glad to see him walking away.

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5399 on: August 13, 2017, 10:12:21 PM »
Thank you for the info on the episode guys, I am stuck at work for about the next 6 hours until I can watch it....  :sad:

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #5400 on: August 13, 2017, 11:06:35 PM »
Gahhhh what a dick place to end the episode. Swear I could watch hours on end of this damn show.

I'll wait a day or so before commenting fully...

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5401 on: August 14, 2017, 03:53:31 AM »
I didn't pick up on the info about Jon Snow because I'm shit with names, so it didn't register.
The dialogue this season has been excellent, but Davos is on fire. His comment about Gendry still rowing was perfect. Too much else to comment on. Everything is so good. :lol

I haven't bothered to look on the net, but this is what I can read of the hidden note, which gives a good idea anyway-

...is dead, killed from wounds he took in a boar hunt.....
...Joffrey and tried to steal his throne - The Lannisters.....
...King's Landing and swear ___ to king Joffrey.....
Your faithful? sister Sansa

Offline faizoff

« Reply #5402 on: August 14, 2017, 05:23:49 AM »
The note turned out to be an older one, the one Sansa writes to Rob presumably forced by Cersei to come to King's Landing and bend the knee. Not sure what Little finger's game plan with that is.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #5403 on: August 14, 2017, 06:20:13 AM »
just to set up conflict between Arya and Sansa. Littlefinger knows Arya is trouble, so he wants her out of the way

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5404 on: August 14, 2017, 06:46:24 AM »
wow, quite a lot to think about after that one

The tease with Jon and his eventual dragon was awesome.

Onion Knight  :metal Davos has always been and continues to be one of my favorite characters. Wheeling and dealing and talkin his way out of trouble. I love it.

For being no one, Arya was a little careless. Little finger is no joke and now that she was seen by one of his spies, its going to get interesting.

Again, its interesting watching dany. Just on her own, she got like a handful of soldiers to bend the knee, but its only after the terrifying dragon roars, do the rest bow down. Those soldiers decided to follow out of fear, not because they believed in her cause. And Its hard to respect a leader that just throws their weight around like that.

And that's why I love jon Snow. He's not a beta simp like Jorah. Dany tries to get all "I haven't given you permission to leave" on him and he's like "I don't need your permission". Hell yeah  :metal

I love the part with sam where gilly just happens to read the thing about Rheagar and the annulment  :lol  Holy shit. VITALLY important info OMG.

And personally, If I was Tully and someone gave me the option to bend the knee or burn, then I would bend the knee to survive and then plot against her. You don't have to lose the war just because you lost a battle. (Him bending the knee for the moment would have saved his son as well)

Watch Gendry end up on the throne at the end and it returns right back to base line full circle with a boratheon on the throne  :lol
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 08:03:22 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #5405 on: August 14, 2017, 07:38:42 AM »
Another fantastic episode. I feel this was really the setup for the final two episodes of the season. I'm thinking they bring a dead man to kings landing in the final episode and Cersei try's to pull some shit and Jamie, now understanding the true scope of the threat coming, kills her. Also, I think we're finally going to get to see the Hound kill the mountain for good this time.

Also, fuck littlefinger. He is approaching Joffery territory for me.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5406 on: August 14, 2017, 08:29:24 AM »
I cannot wait until Arya slices up Littlefinger (at least I really hope that's how it's going to go).

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #5407 on: August 14, 2017, 08:31:15 AM »
Such a cool episode...of which most of the highlights have been mentioned. I know with the revelation that Little Finger basically set Arya up the whole time by luring her to follow him....he believes he has the upper hand. Sure he may cause some strife between the sisters but lets be honest....they aren't as close as they were when they were young as you can see even without his involvement they are already beginning to clash a bit.

But what he doesn't seem to grasp is the fact that Arya will F'n kill him without even one after thought  :lol  He's accustomed to playing a 'game' with people who are weaker than he...but Arya is certainly a worthwhile 'opponent' with the added feature that her end game is you being dead.

'they' basically told us that Jaimie is going to kill Cersi. Her telling/warning him to 'never betray me again'....c'mon, for this show it seemed like pretty lazy foreshadowing IMO....but he's certainly going to kill her now. IF this armistice holds and they do end up meeting to view the captured White Walker...I'll assume that's when Cersi will attempt to break the treaty and try to end it once and for all by killing Dany, Jon or Tyrion or all of them. That would challenge Jaimie's honor and code as a 'soldier'...(Cersi was clear to him that's all he is) which will force him to betray her and kill her.

That scene with Jon and Drogon....how friggin cool was that!!  That scene coupled with the annulment revelation makes me feel like they'll have Jon's true lineage revealed to all this season. I can't imagine they'd drag that out into the final season.

Is it me or did they make it feel like Dany is falling for Jon? She certainly had some longing eyes for him and was a tad upset when learning he'd be leaving to go. I guess if twins are shagging then it's no big deal for cousins to marry, right?

I was initially put off by the prospect of Gendry coming back after such a long absence but it actually worked out quite well and seemed to immediately fit in to the story. that was well done.

And finally, what a group of characters heading north..wow.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5408 on: August 14, 2017, 08:31:58 AM »
I cannot wait until Arya slices up Littlefinger (at least I really hope that's how it's going to go).

it seems as if that's the way they are taking this. She's not going to just sit and take his crap. He has no idea of who he's F'n with.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5409 on: August 14, 2017, 08:52:04 AM »

Is it me or did they make it feel like Dany is falling for Jon? She certainly had some longing eyes for him and was a tad upset when learning he'd be leaving to go. I guess if twins are shagging then it's no big deal for cousins to marry, right?

I definitely noticed that too. The question is:

Will she find out they are related before or after they start making out and will she even care, since her family loves the incest?

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5410 on: August 14, 2017, 09:09:59 AM »
Oh and.....I suppose that single Scorpion Crossbow bolt wasn't all that devastating to Drogon. He seems to have brushed it off.

And, being that we spent so much time ragging on it all week....the elephant in the room is the fact Jaimie swam a quarter mile or so in a really deep river in full Armor without drowning   :lol     honestly, I can completely over look it...it is what it is.....

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5411 on: August 14, 2017, 09:14:48 AM »
And, being that we spent so much time ragging on it all week....the elephant in the room is the fact Jaimie swam a quarter mile or so in a really deep river in full Armor without drowning   :lol     honestly, I can completely over look it...it is what it is.....

Oh yeah, that too. :lol Did Jaimie even swim it, or did Bronn drag him that whole way? The whole thing was ridiculous, but again, I can let it slide.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5412 on: August 14, 2017, 11:54:06 AM »
That scene with Jon and Drogon....how friggin cool was that!!  That scene coupled with the annulment revelation makes me feel like they'll have Jon's true lineage revealed to all this season. I can't imagine they'd drag that out into the final season.
Yea that was really awesome and the way Dany looks at him... :zydar:

Overall, really cool episode with lots of things set in motion.

and yea what a bad-ass group of people at the end.  :corn

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #5413 on: August 14, 2017, 11:59:01 AM »
So here's my post to make everyone turn on me. Mwahahaha.

I loved the episode. Really did. So don't take what I'm about to say as criticism as much as just a thought I had.

Did anyone else feel like that his last episode really felt like a lot of (amazing) fan-fiction?

1) Jon pets a dragon while Dany looks at him longingly.
2) Gendry comes back and even has a joke about him rowing.
3) Tyrion and Jamie meet up again
4) Super important, on the nose and randomly placed throwaway line about Jon's heritage.
5) Arya/Littlefinger plotting against each other
6) Huge group of every awesome character making a little fellowship at the end to fight white walkers.
7) Jorah reunites with Dany
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5414 on: August 14, 2017, 11:59:39 AM »
Re: showing Jon and Dany as a pairing,

Yeah, the show made it pretty obvious by having Jon literally take Jorah's place as they were saying goodbye. Not a fan of the pairing though.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5415 on: August 14, 2017, 12:12:46 PM »
So here's my post to make everyone turn on me. Mwahahaha.

I loved the episode. Really did. So don't take what I'm about to say as criticism as much as just a thought I had.

Did anyone else feel like that his last episode really felt like a lot of (amazing) fan-fiction?

1) Jon pets a dragon while Dany looks at him longingly.
2) Gendry comes back and even has a joke about him rowing.
3) Tyrion and Jamie meet up again
4) Super important, on the nose and randomly placed throwaway line about Jon's heritage.
5) Arya/Littlefinger plotting against each other
6) Huge group of every awesome character making a little fellowship at the end to fight white walkers.
7) Jorah reunites with Dany

I think the rowing Joke was about the only fan service going on there. I get what you're saying about it all seemingly being a little  to perfect and lining up with a lot of the speculation and 'hopes' of the fans.....but all the other points you make fit the narrative perfectly. They just make sense. I think it's less 'fan fiction' and more of that's just where the story was leading/has led us.

At this point of the story and show I think we're beyond the seemingly random and out of nowhere deaths of 'main' characters or game changing plot developments for them. Not that I don't think there won't be some really cool moments....even moments 'we' the fans have yet to speculate about....but all in all they're just telling the story the way it should be told. Internet discussion and a rabid fandom is the only reason it feels like 'fan fiction' a bit.

Offline Adami

« Reply #5416 on: August 14, 2017, 01:24:02 PM »
Like I said, it wasn't criticism. So I wasn't arguing that it didn't fit narratively or anything like that.

I think it was just cause SO many of those moments happened in one episode. It's like the looked at what the fans and wanted and just wanted to throw almost all of it at us in one episode.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5417 on: August 14, 2017, 01:27:46 PM »
I think it was just cause SO many of those moments happened in one episode. It's like the looked at what the fans and wanted and just wanted to throw almost all of it at us in one episode.

That's one thing that this condensed season has done.....blown the pacing we are used to out of the water. I mean, in one scene Jon is leaving Dragonstone....next scene he's landing at East Watch  :lol    That's probably a two to three week journey maybe??

They really did rattle off some bombshells and 'epic' revelations though...

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5418 on: August 14, 2017, 01:28:50 PM »

Yes...well, nearly.

I did turn to Mrs. P and said, "Well, that episode was either written for the internet fans or they're trolling them. Either way, it's awesome."  :lol

She responded with, "I'm watching it again."
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5419 on: August 14, 2017, 01:34:53 PM »
that episode was either written for the internet fans or they're trolling them. Either way, it's awesome."  :lol

The "I thought you were still rowing" line was a friggin' hilarious way to troll the fans AND manage to keep it in the context of Davos's character  :lol   that's totally something he'd say

Offline Adami

« Reply #5420 on: August 14, 2017, 01:38:39 PM »
Yea, whenever Davos gets killed, I think that's gonna hit me the hardest.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5421 on: August 14, 2017, 01:46:10 PM »
Agreed. Davos is the secret ingredient to the awesome sauce.

"The last time I was here, I killed my father with a crossbow."
"The last time I was here, you killed my sons with wildfire."

"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5422 on: August 14, 2017, 01:59:10 PM »
So, are we past a 'huge' battle between Dany and Cersi....with the foregone conclusion that Jaimie believes in that they simply cannot win? Does the rest of that story line play out as betrayal? Meaning, first Cersi betrays whatever truce or armistice that may be put in place to validate the White Walkers....with her trying to win the war there and turning on everyone with Jaimie then betraying her?

Or...will Cersi hire sell swordsmen and there will be more battle scenes despite Jaimie's revelation and contention that it doesn't matter who it is they are outclassed on the battlefield by the Dothraki?

Any consternation the fans may have had about any of the Dragons being killed seems to be 'safe' at the moment because there was zero talk about 'how' they'd go about defeating them....and Jaimie even testifies to Cersi that the massive cross bow's are of no use. Will that be the end of that 'worry' that one or more will die or do you think that at least one, maybe two will die?

I'm curios to see how it goes.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5423 on: August 14, 2017, 02:25:45 PM »
"The last time I was here, I killed my father with a crossbow."
"The last time I was here, you killed my sons with wildfire."

Awesome line indeed!

Also, Tyrion and Varys talking is always gold.

"Did you read [the scroll]?"
"It's sealed for the King in the North!!!"
"....what does it say?"
"Nothing good"

:rollin

Dany continues to be a stone cold bytch most of the time, her biggest mistake so far has been to leave Daario at home, she'd really, really need some stress relief.

Jon Snow proves instead to be the most level headed, the only one - thanks of course to his first hand adventures - to fully realize what has to be done. "We're all the same side - we're all breathing", another wonderful line.

Cersei is knocked up again, the hell  :eek The "queen who fucks her brother", as Tormund gently put  :lol

And we know that Jon is a legitimate son and therefore the true heir to the Mad King's throne  :metal surprised Sam as smart as he is, didn't even realize that Rhaegar Targaryen was the one mentioned in the document. No way he could link him to Jon, but at least the name should have rung a bell.

Can't wait to see the Fellowship of the Dead Men hunting for some wight next week!!!  :metal

Oh, and I paused the scene with Littlefinger's scroll - i'ts definitively the message Sansa used to plead with Robb to come and bend the knee for Joffrey, don't know what's the plane of Baelish here - Sansa, if ever faced with that, could tell the absolute truth, that it was a last ditch effort to save Ned Stark, while her own life was at risk too.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5424 on: August 14, 2017, 02:33:46 PM »
With the revelation of Jon Snow's parentage, there's been a lot of rumors and theories about:

Huge potential spoiler if it turns out to be correct

Tyrion being the son of Aerys Targarian who had an affair with Tywins wife at some point. Which would make 3 Targarian dragon riders with Dany and Jon snow being the other two. I am down with this.