Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 628337 times)

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #5355 on: August 09, 2017, 06:22:23 AM »
The depth of the lake thing didn't bother me too much. But, with the weight of that armour, plus a golden hand, Jaime is going to sink like a stone. If he's going to survive, or be rescued, he's going to have to shed that armour pretty quickly.

I hope they show that, or I think that would bother me..  :biggrin:

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #5356 on: August 09, 2017, 06:33:56 AM »
You know a show is good when the only thing people can find to complain about is the depth of a lake.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #5357 on: August 09, 2017, 07:24:12 AM »
You know a show is good when the only thing people can find to complain about is the depth of a lake.

So true. It really is just a nit pick. I wouldn't qualify it as a full on complaint.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #5358 on: August 09, 2017, 07:28:43 AM »
If the biggest nitpick I have this season that the water was too deep when the knight got tackled off his horse into the water to save him from the fire breathing dragon, then I'm not too bothered. :lol Every episode this season has been immense.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #5359 on: August 09, 2017, 07:34:27 AM »
I think the compression of time and distance this season is maybe a more valid nitpick, but most people are ok with it as it feels like everything is ramping up to a conclusion.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5360 on: August 09, 2017, 07:39:11 AM »
I'm ok with the compression of time, because they really need to focus on the core arcs at this point, which means less time for those moments that mostly serve to pass time and develop characters a bit. I'm fine to just assume there is time taken inbetween what we see on screen, but it's not vital to the story to show it.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #5361 on: August 09, 2017, 07:47:32 AM »
Agreed. We've spent enough time with each of the main characters to get a good feel for who they are and what they're about. Now we get to see how it all comes together.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5362 on: August 09, 2017, 07:59:23 AM »
I'm ok with the compression of time, because they really need to focus on the core arcs at this point, which means less time for those moments that mostly serve to pass time and develop characters a bit. I'm fine to just assume there is time taken inbetween what we see on screen, but it's not vital to the story to show it.

Agreed. We've spent enough time with each of the main characters to get a good feel for who they are and what they're about. Now we get to see how it all comes together.

Yep. they are way past the point of 'developing' these characters any further. There may be some revelations or behaviors about them that change thier characters a bit more....Jaimie killing Cersi, John finding out he's a Targaryen etc etc......but all in all these characters are who they are now and the 'end game' has been set in motion.....with quite a full head of steam.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5363 on: August 09, 2017, 08:03:19 AM »
Yep. they are way past the point of 'developing' these characters any further. There may be some revelations or behaviors about them that change thier characters a bit more....Jaimie killing Cersi, John finding out he's a Targaryen etc etc......but all in all these characters are who they are now and the 'end game' has been set in motion.....with quite a full head of steam.

Related to what you said, I think a lot of the character development from here on out will be more directly tied to moving the plot forward, rather than in the past where character development has often paid off much later on. They're still doing that too, but there's less time for them to plan forward for now. It's rewarding to see it all play out now.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5364 on: August 09, 2017, 08:08:22 AM »

Related to what you said, I think a lot of the character development from here on out will be more directly tied to moving the plot forward, rather than in the past where character development has often paid off much later on. They're still doing that too, but there's less time for them to plan forward for now.

Yeah. the time/limited episode constraint really puts a damper on them being able to introduce any new character of any significance. Gendry is a wild card because we kind of know his deal....but I can't see them bringing a whole new, important character into the mix. Just doesn't seem like enough 'time' to make them relevant.

As you said, character development of the 'main' characters going forward is going to be used to advance the story....ie John being Targaryan and so on.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5366 on: August 09, 2017, 11:31:40 AM »
Definitely felt the Saving Private Ryan influence. It felt very visceral and real.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5367 on: August 09, 2017, 01:12:55 PM »

"You want a drink? Then bend the knee".
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #5368 on: August 09, 2017, 09:17:22 PM »
You gotta wonder if the 'bend the knee' thing became a running joke on and off set.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5369 on: August 09, 2017, 09:37:12 PM »
So many nerds want to bend the knee so bad. 

Too bad they never knew of calisthenics.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5370 on: August 09, 2017, 10:42:59 PM »

Related to what you said, I think a lot of the character development from here on out will be more directly tied to moving the plot forward, rather than in the past where character development has often paid off much later on. They're still doing that too, but there's less time for them to plan forward for now.

Yeah. the time/limited episode constraint really puts a damper on them being able to introduce any new character of any significance. Gendry is a wild card because we kind of know his deal....but I can't see them bringing a whole new, important character into the mix. Just doesn't seem like enough 'time' to make them relevant.

As you said, character development of the 'main' characters going forward is going to be used to advance the story....ie John being Targaryan and so on.

I would love to see Gendry come back into it and team up with Arya .. I always liked them together... But there may not be enough time left to develop that.
Again I have no idea of direction the book's went in.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #5371 on: August 09, 2017, 11:34:36 PM »

The horse ain't dead yet folks...

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5372 on: August 09, 2017, 11:45:30 PM »
 :lol

One other thing I saw on Talk The Thrones was that why hasn't Jon told Dany about Maester Amon?  He was a Targ!  I guess he seems to have gotten on her good side regardless, but that would also help win her over I'd think if she knew about him.  I guess maybe there is no one besides Sam that could collaborate that story maybe?

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #5373 on: August 10, 2017, 06:15:09 PM »

"You want a drink? Then bend the knee".

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5374 on: August 10, 2017, 07:05:09 PM »

The horse ain't dead yet folks...

Lakegate 2017 lives on  :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5375 on: August 11, 2017, 08:56:42 AM »
I might have just let my 11 year old son watch the battle scene.  ???   I couldn't help it, he loves Dragons and syfy stuff so i felt the need to show him. ''Twas a massive "you better not tell your mom" moment.

What my kids are slowly learning is that my wife and I don't 'keep secrets' from each other when concerning raising them....so of course I let her know I had let the boys watch that battle scene. I described it to her and told her I really didn't think it was all that bad and that they really just saw a big cool looking dragon breathing fire on people.....anyway.....

Fast forward to last night and my youngest son (who I didn't let watch but he knew I let his brothers) decided that he's going to try and get daddy in trouble (in a joking manner) and tries to rat me out. When my wife said "I already know" the look on his face and his brothers was pretty funny....and when we told them that we don't keep secrets from one another you could tell they were really mulling that one over in their head   :lol    like 'uh oh...??"

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5376 on: August 11, 2017, 08:59:01 AM »

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5377 on: August 11, 2017, 09:01:03 AM »
Is there a remote possibly that Tyrion is keeping his hand close to his chest and secretly has his eye on the throne for himself?

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5378 on: August 11, 2017, 09:03:49 AM »
Always possible, but I never really though of him as someone who wanted that power.  If anything, he's often expressed his desire to get Casterly Rock.  I'd imagine that's what he wants in the end, if not to be hand of the king/queen.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5379 on: August 11, 2017, 09:29:44 AM »
Always possible, but I never really though of him as someone who wanted that power.  If anything, he's often expressed his desire to get Casterly Rock.  I'd imagine that's what he wants in the end, if not to be hand of the king/queen.

This is the impression I got as well. That he had more interest in having Casterly Rock as his own....as a huge FU to his Dad and Cersi.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5380 on: August 11, 2017, 12:23:18 PM »
Staying mostly away from this thread since the ytuber spoiler, but......all the conversations, drama, battles, reunions, etc.... take you to where you go 'this can't be topped' (think 'Battle of Blackwater' in Season 2, last years epic Jon v. Ramsey), and then we get THIS !!!!!

Holy frickin' crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5381 on: August 11, 2017, 12:31:01 PM »
While I know it's assumed that spoilers exist in this thread, I'm hoping that we can all agree that un-aired spoilers are a dick move and not welcome here.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5382 on: August 11, 2017, 12:33:17 PM »
While I know it's assumed that spoilers exist in this thread, I'm hoping that we can all agree that un-aired spoilers are a dick move and not welcome here.

Agreed. I'm not into the spoilers so whatever I say is based on opinion, observation, and I know I do mix book info into my thoughts as well.  I guess that can be considered spoiler, but I know I don't know anything about the future episodes.  I'd hope others do the same in this thread.  I may be speaking for others here, but I don't think the people active in this thread want to be spoiled.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #5383 on: August 11, 2017, 12:33:38 PM »

I don't even watch the previews for the next episode, after the credits.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5384 on: August 11, 2017, 12:34:30 PM »

I don't even watch the previews for the next episode, after the credits.

I'm the same way. I like going into things 100% blind.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #5385 on: August 11, 2017, 06:07:31 PM »

Total dick move. Any talk of new episodes should only happen after the west coast airing time....

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5386 on: August 11, 2017, 07:51:10 PM »

Total dick move. Any talk of new episodes should only happen after the west coast airing time....

I'm cool with that.

Online chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5387 on: August 12, 2017, 07:32:56 AM »

You don't get the 6pm showing on HBOeHD??

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5388 on: August 12, 2017, 07:52:40 AM »

While I agree it's bad form to talk massive spoilers that one may have gleened from online.....I automatically assume on the nights GOT airs that anytime after 8:00 Central anything in the thread after that could be 'spoiler' material for that episode should I choose to click in.

For the most part the immediate comments after the episodes in here are 'that was insane'  or 'wow, what an incredible episode' and then everyone really starts the conversation late sunday early monday.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5389 on: August 12, 2017, 08:15:58 AM »

While I agree it's bad form to talk massive spoilers that one may have gleened from online.....I automatically assume on the nights GOT airs that anytime after 8:00 Central anything in the thread after that could be 'spoiler' material for that episode should I choose to click in.

For the most part the immediate comments after the episodes in here are 'that was insane'  or 'wow, what an incredible episode' and then everyone really starts the conversation late sunday early monday.

If the content has officially aired on HBO, all talk is fair gane. If a hacker leaks an episode two weeks early, discussion of those spoilers should be 100% off limits.