Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 628385 times)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #5075 on: June 23, 2017, 05:41:13 AM »
I think the two wars will happen concurrently.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5076 on: June 23, 2017, 06:06:16 AM »

Part of me wonders if the war for the throne will almost not matter. All sides realize they're all dead unless they ban together and fight the White Walkers.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5077 on: June 23, 2017, 07:02:22 AM »
As you can see from the trailers, there are already multiple battles going on. Euron's fleet against Dany's. The Dothraki against Randall Tarly's men. Dany's men at Casterly Rock. Then you have Jon and his band of all stars (The Hound, Beric, Tormund, possibly Brienne and Pod, and a few others) up north.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #5078 on: June 23, 2017, 07:02:43 AM »

Part of me wonders if the war for the throne will almost not matter. All sides realize they're all dead unless they ban together and fight the White Walkers.

Well, I'd daresay that's the entire point of the series - the war for the throne DOESN'T matter. Let's see when the characters will realize it too.

When Dany has her visions she was walking in a desolate and ice-ridden throne room, maybe by the time she will reach King's Landing, there won't be anymore a war to win, only winter.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5079 on: June 23, 2017, 07:49:03 AM »

I think in the trailer it was Jon saying something along the lines of our families have been at war but we must fight together.  I think that's possible, but I don't see Cersei coming around to this.  She has not taken dragons and white walkers seriously since the beginning of the show.  I don't really see her turning around now that she has the throne.  I could see that being Jon and Dany banding together.  Maybe the Lannisters under Jamie too. 

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5080 on: July 12, 2017, 01:12:34 PM »
T-minus 5 days!  :biggrin:

Been kind of a hurdle to avoid spoilers on the internet, haven't watched any trailers or interviews.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5081 on: July 12, 2017, 07:56:48 PM »
I can't wait!

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #5082 on: July 12, 2017, 08:25:06 PM »
We're leaving on vacation Saturday and the Airbnb house we are staying at has a 120" Digital HD projector. I'm excited to watch the premier on that! It 'looks' like a good set up but we shall see.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5083 on: July 13, 2017, 07:07:53 AM »
I think this will be the first GoT episode I watch not by myself  :lol  Spent the last year getting the gf all caught up, now she may be even more excited than I am for the return.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5084 on: July 13, 2017, 06:18:02 PM »
So there are apparently season episode plot leaks. I read through a couple of them and if they are even partially accurate then WOW. :lol

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #5085 on: July 14, 2017, 06:18:48 AM »
Wikipedia has already the first three titles, also.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5086 on: July 14, 2017, 06:40:12 AM »
I'm not going to look.  So close now that it'll be worth the wait.  :corn

Offline faizoff

« Reply #5087 on: July 16, 2017, 08:09:20 PM »
Solid opening episode, very laid back and just setting up the pieces for the rest of the season me thinks. Clegane absolutely stole the episode for me, I've always loved his character from the start and this episode just made it even more clearer. He's a goddamn rockstar and his curse line are always delivered the best way.

"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5088 on: July 16, 2017, 08:36:47 PM »
Great opening episode except for Ed Sheeran popping out of no where, really threw me out of the episode for a second. Loved the opening scene with Arya Stark .

Offline faizoff

« Reply #5089 on: July 16, 2017, 08:38:18 PM »
i read about his cameo so as soon as I heard the singing, I knew it would be him.

Also can't believe I didn't say this earlier, but a lot of shit went down this episode, LOL.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5090 on: July 16, 2017, 08:43:43 PM »
Yea it did. To me it was like most season openers; a lot of "Oh yea that was happening" moments.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5091 on: July 16, 2017, 08:43:56 PM »
ICE GIANTS!!

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5092 on: July 16, 2017, 08:46:01 PM »
Yup!!!!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #5093 on: July 17, 2017, 02:49:10 AM »
Great opening episode except for Ed Sheeran popping out of no where, really threw me out of the episode for a second. Loved the opening scene with Arya Stark .

Fuck yeah.

ICE GIANTS!!

Fuck yeah.

Very satisfying opening episode that touched on a lot. The poop/vomit/eat montage was a joy.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5094 on: July 17, 2017, 03:56:44 AM »
I had to look away during that montage. I felt food coming up.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5095 on: July 17, 2017, 04:59:02 AM »
Yea they didn't need to show as much shit as they did in the montage.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #5096 on: July 17, 2017, 05:25:53 AM »
It wasn't graphic poop, just vague sludgy poop.

I can't believe I just wrote that sentence.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5097 on: July 17, 2017, 05:26:45 AM »
That was great first episode. Every scene kept me engaged and it did a great job starting to put all the pieces into place.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5098 on: July 17, 2017, 05:34:21 AM »
Yea they didn't need to show as much shit as they did in the montage.

This is Game of Thrones. Take your shit with your dragons...or something.

I think the opening scene was perfect! What I'm looking forward to are the hopeful reunions - Arya, Bran, Jon, and Sansa; Tyrion and Jon; Jon and Benjen. I am wondering if Arya will see The Hound again, when Tyrion will see Cersei and Jaime again, when will Jaime finally give up on Cersei and go off on his own. 

When will Jon find out about his heritage? I'm guessing at the end of the season. I think either Bran or Sam will tell him.

I enjoyed the scene with Euron and Cersei. He's seeming more like the unhinged book character than he did last season, which I was hoping for.

And will someone please kill Littlefinger already?!!?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5099 on: July 17, 2017, 06:48:44 AM »
That was a cool little moment when Jorah Mormont was asking Sam about whether Dani arrived yet from inside the Greyscale quarantine which reminded me a lot of a leper colony. I was like "man, I recognize that voice..." and then released who it was.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5100 on: July 17, 2017, 06:54:01 AM »
It hit me after that Sam will probably wind up healing Jorah, especially after he finds out who he is.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #5101 on: July 17, 2017, 07:39:41 AM »
Winter has come for House Frey.   :metal

Great episode, and it's nice to not have spoiler material that I can easily cheat with.  When I binged the full series in February, I could follow along with Wikipedia - that made it easier to understand characters names and relationships since this world was so new to me, but made it really easy to spoil some events. 

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #5102 on: July 17, 2017, 07:43:16 AM »
So I had a really cool Game of Thrones experience last night.

Over the past year or so my girlfriend and I have been watching through the blu-rays of the series. I have not read the books but she has. We finally got caught up about two months ago. Since then there have been plenty of references to how it's going to suck avoiding spoilers and waiting for the current season to come out on blu-ray.

So a couple of days ago I ordered HBO and set up the show to record, and at about 9:05pm or so she went out to the kitchen for something. I loaded up the show, muted the TV, fast forwarded to the opening scene, and paused it. She came back in, sat down, looked up and it was awesome to see her reaction. We very much enjoyed the episode and I look forward to the rest of the season.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5103 on: July 17, 2017, 08:15:57 AM »
It wasn't graphic poop, just vague sludgy poop.

I can't believe I just wrote that sentence.

Looked almost exactly like what was going in was what was coming out  :lol and yea, that scene did what it was intended to do, make you feel sick to your stomach.

Awesome first episode.  Pretty much set up the season and reminded us all where everyone left off.  That opening scene with Walder... I immediately thought everyone in that room was going to die.  I never really though of how powerful the faces could be, until that scene. 

It's great to have the hound back.  He's such an awesome character and it looks like he's going to become a religious one now (seemed like he was turning tides after his episode last season, but I'm guessing he is a full believer now).  I do however fear for his life this season though.  I think everyone at the wall (and the wildings) are in serious danger this season.  There were wayyyy too many references about the Wall standing strong and protecting the realm in this episode. 

Cersei and Euron seem like a match made in heaven.  What is the gift Euron will bring?  My guess is he is going after Tyrion.  His head is probably the one thing that would get Cersei to like him.  I doubt he gets it.  Maybe he attacks Dragonstone.  Also, the scene with jamie and Cersei alone, looked like Jamie has some serious doubts about Cersei. 

Sansa's certainly got a lot of confidence now.  She was kind of nasty this episode, to both Jon and Littlefinger.  Littlefinger I understand, but undermining Jon was not cool.  Lady Mormont was amazing again.  What an awesome character and actress. 

And we finally got to see Dany return to Westoros.  That was a pretty cool and powerful ending.  Essentially saying this is the beginning of the end now.  Her people are going to have to start mining.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5104 on: July 17, 2017, 08:30:56 AM »

It's great to have the hound back.  He's such an awesome character and it looks like he's going to become a religious one now (seemed like he was turning tides after his episode last season, but I'm guessing he is a full believer now). I do however fear for his life this season though.  I think everyone at the wall (and the wildings) are in serious danger this season.  There were wayyyy too many references about the Wall standing strong and protecting the realm in this episode. 

Jon Snow asked them to hold up at Eastwatch, didn't he? If that's where Cersei is heading, they're fucked.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5105 on: July 17, 2017, 08:36:13 AM »

It's great to have the hound back.  He's such an awesome character and it looks like he's going to become a religious one now (seemed like he was turning tides after his episode last season, but I'm guessing he is a full believer now). I do however fear for his life this season though.  I think everyone at the wall (and the wildings) are in serious danger this season.  There were wayyyy too many references about the Wall standing strong and protecting the realm in this episode. 

Jon Snow asked them to hold up at Eastwatch, didn't he? If that's where Cersei is heading, they're fucked.

Yes they are going to Eastwatch, but that's what it seemed like The Hound saw in the flames.  I don't see how the Wall survives this season considering The Night Kind seemingly broke the spell from the Children of the Forest last season.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5106 on: July 17, 2017, 08:40:30 AM »

Yes they are going to Eastwatch, but that's what it seemed like The Hound saw in the flames.  I don't see how the Wall survives this season considering The Night Kind seemingly broke the spell from the Children of the Forest last season.

I wonder if the wall is going to come down, or if the army is just going to go through it. I don't remember if it was season 5 or 6, but one of the giants made it into a tunnel but was stabbed to death before he got through. The episode last night focussed on that tunnel quite a bit, and now that ice giants are confirmed, they might be able to get through with ease.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #5107 on: July 17, 2017, 09:01:26 AM »
I think Euron is going to kill one of the dragons. Aren't we leading up to the Walkers getting a dragon, with all those posters that have come out?

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #5108 on: July 17, 2017, 09:40:33 AM »
I just want to share our Filipino-Southeast Asian interpretation of the Game of Thrones opening theme:

https://youtu.be/3wY1hb9TrvU

I did not appear on the video, but I played in the recorded music.  :lol

When we interpreted it, we do not want it to be the GoT theme played with Southeast Asian instruments but rather a Southeast Asian music piece that plays around the GoT theme. Which explains the different tonality and the liberties taken in the melody and the time signature.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #5109 on: July 17, 2017, 01:27:07 PM »
Another amazing episode. This is easily my favorite show of all time. So much happened in 1 hour. Jamie is starting to move away from Cersei. Arya is on her way to kings landing. Hard to believe there are only 12 more episodes of the show. I love not knowing what's going to happen.