Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 638216 times)

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #2660 on: May 26, 2015, 01:30:55 PM »
I like to watch the intro, but I actively avoid the 'previously on' stuff because I don't want to know which stories will be featured or what points will be addressed. I usually skip past that, which usually means I miss bits of the opening credits.

Online faizoff

« Reply #2661 on: May 26, 2015, 01:55:08 PM »
I like to watch the intro, but I actively avoid the 'previously on' stuff because I don't want to know which stories will be featured or what points will be addressed. I usually skip past that, which usually means I miss bits of the opening credits.
That's what I do too, I don't want to know what characters are going to be focused on during the episode. It's a bit too much as my wife would say as I don't watch any previews either but that seems to bring out the most enjoyment out of these episodes for me.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2662 on: May 26, 2015, 02:48:25 PM »
Im the opposite, I love the previously on because I like to see what is going to be coming up.  Last week showed LF and QOT so you knew that the episode was going to feature something with the both of them.  I guess it's spoiler but being that I am about to watch it and it doesnt spoil as to what happens, I don't mind.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2663 on: May 26, 2015, 09:08:57 PM »
I need the 'previously on' section because as I mentioned somewhere in this thread I get confused easy with this show as far as characters and what not....just too much going on....I need the refresher.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2664 on: May 27, 2015, 11:10:22 AM »
Some major spoilers in the link about casting news for season 6

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/05/27/game-of-thrones-spoilers-season-6_n_7444072.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

If that is all true, that is great news for book readers!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2665 on: May 27, 2015, 11:16:08 AM »
Some major spoilers in the link about casting news for season 6

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/05/27/game-of-thrones-spoilers-season-6_n_7444072.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

If that is all true, that is great news for book readers!
I agree.  We'll see what happens.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2666 on: May 27, 2015, 11:25:01 AM »
I've read this article and I'm not kind of baffled with the whole Balon Greyjoy thing. So Melisandre used three leeches and he's apparently not dead yet, even though Robb and Joff died. While that's alright and there certainly may be some reasons behind it, I'm wondering why Stannis hasn't called Mel out on this during their scene in this episode? She said something along the lines "You saw how it works, Robb Stark died, Joffrey died", and Stannis didn't even object that Balon is kind of still alive.

I realise there are still three episodes left and Balon still has enough time to die, but I would gess such a grammar nazi and pedantic man as Stannis would certainly notice such a thing instantly. Even the books had that "I can count. Two isn't three" part.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online faizoff

« Reply #2667 on: May 27, 2015, 12:00:11 PM »
So after finishing the epilogue of book 3 I'm wondering if I should've read that part. I stopped and thought I know they haven't done this on the show yet but if it does happen on the show then man it wouldn't be as powerful as watching it for the first time not knowing what was to happen. Dang it. I'm not reading the last two books until the show is done.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2668 on: May 27, 2015, 12:02:49 PM »
So after finishing the epilogue of book 3 I'm wondering if I should've read that part. I stopped and thought I know they haven't done this on the show yet but if it does happen on the show then man it wouldn't be as powerful as watching it for the first time not knowing what was to happen. Dang it. I'm not reading the last two books until the show is done.

I thought the same. But I don't think they'll do that bit at all.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2669 on: May 27, 2015, 12:35:14 PM »

I thought the same. But I don't think they'll do that bit at all.

I agree. I think they'll cut that part.

Online faizoff

« Reply #2670 on: May 27, 2015, 12:55:15 PM »
Why do you both say that? If the answer involves something from book 4 & 5 then I don't want to know.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2671 on: May 27, 2015, 01:10:50 PM »
Why do you both say that? If the answer involves something from book 4 & 5 then I don't want to know.

No, nothing from next books for me. I just think it would be too anticlimactic. I'll write the next part in small text. There are no spoilers from books 4 and 5, but there are major spoilers from book 3 about some events that haven't happened in the show yet. If you haven't read the books and want to be unspoilered, don't read please.

I mean, Red Wedding was back in Season 3. In my opinion, why the epilogue of A Storm of Swords worked, is because Catelyn died in this very book, and while her being resurrected was quite a shocker, it kind of wrapped up her storyline for this book in very unusual manner, but it just felt right, even though the readers all were "WTF" at the moment. It was a great way to end the book, especially since Red Wedding was somewhere in the middle of the book 3.

On the show, the writers went with the "Episode 9 is a big one" strategy, stretching the Northern-Riverlands storyline a bit to get the Red Wedding in the ninth episode. It worked alright, but to introduce Lady Stoneheart in the end of episode 10 would be too cheap — the show watchers are still not over the devastating event Red Wedding is, and Catelyn being resurrected would certainly lessen the impact considerably. So the logical decision was to introduce her in Season 4 ending, where we basically wrap up A Storm of Swords and move to the next books material. However, this event was nowhere to be found too. Now we've got to Season 5, with Dorne added to the storyline, lots of plotlines being separated and none of them takes place in Riverlands where Lady Stoneheart was (I mean, even Blackfish is still urinating in the show, he wasn't found after Red Wedding for nearly two seasons now), and there are no news or signs of Lady Stoneheart appearing — which is only logical, since they've got a lot of stuff to wrap up in those three episodes left.

And that leaves us with following seasons. My point is, the impact of Catelyn resurrection was huge because of where it was placed in the books. ASOS was so full of events I guess most readers couldn't put the book away and just read on from the Red Wedding, through Oberyn's untimely death to the Tyrion - Tywin showdown, and when they've got to this epilogue, almost completely unrelated to the events happening in the last chapter, it was a big WTF yet it was a big "fuck yeah" too. Either way, that was a great, impactful event, and even a few months since the Red Wedding passed, it was still fresh in readers' minds and all that.

However, now that two seasons on the show have passed, and the next one is a year away, making it basically three years from Red Wedding, I just don't think the Lady Stoneheart appearance will have the intended impact at all. Yeah, it would produce some of the WTF reaction for sure, but as of now I think it would seem as some kind of a cheap plot device, or a retcon, or whatever — and that's certainly not a good thing. In my opinion, the writers missed their chance to introduce LS back in the game, and to do it now would be a mistake, which is my I hope and think they won't do it.

Online faizoff

« Reply #2672 on: May 27, 2015, 01:41:25 PM »
Hmm true I suppose. I dunno, I can imagine a few scenarios where they could work it in. Either as a standalone scene to end the character arc or even somewhere in the final season to let viewers see the next phase of that character. I'm personally glad if it never comes back to the show. I would think it works better for the show.

I should add that the reason I mainly choose to read the books after watching the show is to really dig deep into the history and depth of the characters. The surprise reveals for me work better when watching it on screen and seeing it for the first time. I think I would never have been that shocked when watching the red wedding if I had already read about it. Or any event for that matter. I mean it would still be intense but wont have the same surprise effect. I started watching the show around season 3 so I was still getting used to the whole world of GOT and the names of everyone then BOOM! that episode hit me like a ton of bricks. As did pretty much all of the events on the show.
Which is why I think I'll put the books down for now and continue reading them after the show is done.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 01:48:04 PM by faizoff »

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2673 on: May 27, 2015, 01:49:58 PM »
I was so sure that scene would come at the end of the season 4 finale. After it went to black with Arya on the ship to Braavos, it kept at black for soo long, and I was all like "here it coomes, here it cooooomes...", but then it didn't. I agree with Evermind, if they haven't done it by now, it's probably too late.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2674 on: May 27, 2015, 01:51:22 PM »
I was so sure that scene would come at the end of the season 4 finale. After it went to black with Arya on the ship to Braavos, it kept at black for soo long, and I was all like "here it coomes, here it cooooomes...", but then it didn't.

Yeah, that was exactly my reaction to S4 finale too. :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2675 on: May 27, 2015, 04:53:20 PM »
I dont know, I kind of disagree with you guys. 

If the show runners are going to go with some of the storylines that were initially thought as cut, Greyjoys, then there is no reason to think Stoneheart couldn't come back.  It's also possible that Jaime finishes in Dorne this season and he continues his book story by going to the Riverlands.  Which would make more sense in terms of bringing Gendry back, Brotherhood without Banners, and then Stoneheart as well to all tie along with how the book went, and somehow adding Brienne and Pod back into that as well.  Also bringing back the Freys, Edmure, and Blackfish.  I think its entirely possible and would still be a huge shock to show watchers because so much time would have passed.  Now that I think about it, that could be an awesome season arc for next season, the Riverlands and the unresolved issues there.  Who knows though.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2676 on: May 27, 2015, 09:38:27 PM »
I was so sure that scene would come at the end of the season 4 finale. After it went to black with Arya on the ship to Braavos, it kept at black for soo long, and I was all like "here it coomes, here it cooooomes...", but then it didn't. I agree with Evermind, if they haven't done it by now, it's probably too late.

Can you 'small font' a non book reader on what you are talking about? I don't mind if it's a spoiler or whatever....but im super curious..... :tup

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2677 on: May 27, 2015, 10:37:02 PM »
In fact, I wish they never did this Dorne arc, which has been underwhelming so far to put it mildly, and continued the Riverlands arc in S5 instead.

Online faizoff

« Reply #2678 on: May 27, 2015, 10:52:45 PM »
In the books https://youtu.be/snm6qnezv0Q
(contains only show contents, as well as some tittie shots)

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2679 on: May 27, 2015, 10:59:54 PM »

Can you 'small font' a non book reader on what you are talking about? I don't mind if it's a spoiler or whatever....but im super curious..... :tup

MEGA SPOILERS FOR PEOPLE WHO HAVEN'T READ THE BOOKS:

The epilogue of the third book has some family members of Walder Frey (the guy who made the Red Wedding happen) riding to a prisoner exchange. They meet the brotherhood without banners and find that they have hanged their prisoner. Among the brotherhood is a hooded lady. They hang the Frey guy as the lady removes her hood and it's Catelyn Stark, brough back to life by Thoros of Myr. Since her throat was cut at the red wedding, she doesn't speak. And she was deep scars beneath her eyes from where she clawed at herself (that didn't happen on the show). The last thing we read (I think) is that the Frey guy could see the hate in her eyes.

Online faizoff

« Reply #2680 on: May 28, 2015, 09:45:26 AM »
I should probably ask this question after season 5 ends, so without mentioning specifically or any spoilers, how much  of book 4 & 5 would you say has been covered so far in the series? I've read up to book 3 so I know what all of book 3 has been covered/not covered. When I ask how much, you could say in terms of percentage or number of major events/chapters whatever metric is best.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2681 on: May 28, 2015, 09:53:17 AM »
I should probably ask this question after season 5 ends, so without mentioning specifically or any spoilers, how much  of book 4 & 5 would you say has been covered so far in the series? I've read up to book 3 so I know what all of book 3 has been covered/not covered. When I ask how much, you could say in terms of percentage or number of major events/chapters whatever metric is best.

I will say a good amount, hard to determine since at the moment they seemed to have cut a lot of the major POV characters from the books which is at least half of book 4, so if you don't count that then they have already covered most of books 4 and 5 at this point and should be fully covered by the end of the season it seems although there are lots of differences.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2682 on: May 28, 2015, 10:01:36 AM »
Yeah, more or less.

Which means that season six will be uncharted territory, although, as reported, we may wind up getting at least some stuff that was previously skipped.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2683 on: May 28, 2015, 10:13:41 AM »
Ratings for the previous episode were frightningly low. Far lower than any season 4 episode, and only barely higher than season 3's highest.

Online faizoff

« Reply #2684 on: May 28, 2015, 10:16:12 AM »
Well it was shown on memorial day which they haven't broadcast the previous 2 seasons. I also don't know how much they account for the traffic that's going to HBONow because that's what I use to watch the show.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2685 on: May 28, 2015, 10:18:23 AM »
Yeah, more or less.

Which means that season six will be uncharted territory, although, as reported, we may wind up getting at least some stuff that was previously skipped.

Yup, with all the changes there is already a lot of uncharted territory too including next episode Hardhome, that should be fun!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2686 on: May 28, 2015, 10:41:35 AM »
Yeah, I think it's kind of early to draw any conclusions from ratings drop. Blackwater was aired at Memorial Day too, and while people consider it one of the best episodes of the series, it suffered a ratings drop too. I think ratings will grow again for the next episode.

Online faizoff

« Reply #2687 on: May 28, 2015, 11:02:58 AM »
This article mentions at the end that the streaming viewership for HBO is rising though they don't have exact numbers
https://www.businessinsider.com/game-of-thrones-season-5-ratings-2015-5

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2688 on: May 28, 2015, 05:31:26 PM »

MEGA SPOILERS FOR PEOPLE WHO HAVEN'T READ THE BOOKS:

The epilogue of the third book has some family members of Walder Frey (the guy who made the Red Wedding happen) riding to a prisoner exchange. They meet the brotherhood without banners and find that they have hanged their prisoner. Among the brotherhood is a hooded lady. They hang the Frey guy as the lady removes her hood and it's Catelyn Stark, brough back to life by Thoros of Myr. Since her throat was cut at the red wedding, she doesn't speak. And she was deep scars beneath her eyes from where she clawed at herself (that didn't happen on the show). The last thing we read (I think) is that the Frey guy could see the hate in her eyes.

Cool! Thanks for the synopsis.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2689 on: May 28, 2015, 05:58:03 PM »
Yeah, I think it's kind of early to draw any conclusions from ratings drop. Blackwater was aired at Memorial Day too, and while people consider it one of the best episodes of the series, it suffered a ratings drop too. I think ratings will grow again for the next episode.

Memorial day was a huge reason for low ratings and you are correct about Blackwater being a great example, however, I will add that this season has so far been the worst of the show and I can't help but think that has an effect too, although this week's episode was the best so far this season.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2690 on: May 28, 2015, 07:04:40 PM »
Ratings for the previous episode were frightningly low. Far lower than any season 4 episode, and only barely higher than season 3's highest.

With a show like GOT I do not think ratings matter at all, especially since it's on HBO. It's not like they're going to cancel it or anything.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2691 on: May 29, 2015, 06:31:06 AM »
Just got totally caught up. Had me pretty much on the edge of my seat and bowing down to its brilliance all the way up to tywin's death. He was probably my favorite character.

So many of the characters I found fascinating are dead, but that's part of the show.

At this point it feels like its losing a little bit of its steam. But I'll still be watching regularly

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2692 on: May 29, 2015, 08:08:46 AM »
Just got totally caught up. Had me pretty much on the edge of my seat and bowing down to its brilliance all the way up to tywin's death. He was probably my favorite character.

So many of the characters I found fascinating are dead, but that's part of the show.

At this point it feels like its losing a little bit of its steam. But I'll still be watching regularly

As much as I hate the Lannisters, the actors are the best.  Tywin and Joffrey were great on the show and as much as you dislike them, I was upset to see them die just because we wouldn't get to see those actors play those roles anymore.  That's an amazing testament to the show IMO.

Online faizoff

« Reply #2693 on: May 29, 2015, 08:18:25 AM »
I think the casting has been spot on for pretty much all of the cast, everyone embodies their character ever so perfectly. Some of the kid actors have been just flat out amazing. Listening to the commentaries of the first season, the girl who play Arya is actually right handed and learned how to use the sword with her left hand as Arya in the books is supposed to be left handed. Another highlight for me is in season 3 when Rickon and Bran part ways, the kid playing Rickon just steals the scene with the goodbye.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2694 on: May 29, 2015, 08:25:44 AM »
Yup, I agree about the children... and so HBO released the title of the 10th episode, episode name in spoiler below and some book talk as well:

Mother's Mercy... https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2015/05/game-of-thrones-finale-mothers-mercy-lady-stoneheart Is it possible we get Lady Stoneheart?  It would make for a great cliffhanger that could lead to a Riverlands storyline next season?  I hope so, but I am not getting my hopes up after not seeing that in the season 4 finale.