Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 628421 times)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #1505 on: April 08, 2014, 12:08:12 PM »
Jack's action is gold again, we mean to hate his character but I can't stop cheering every time he's on screen.

This. I love Joffrey.

Totally, he is one of the best characters on the show.  He does such a great job making you hate him that you actually like him because of it!

I am really looking forward to the arrival of a certain character with the initials L.S. sometime this season.  Anyone who has read the books knows who I mean.

I am honestly not sure if we will see that this season.  I could totally see this character as an end to the season though
Probably next season, or somebody else is playing her, because I see nothing on Michelle's IMDB page

Would you see that IMDB?  For the non readers, that would be a big surprise and putting that info out there could ruin it for a lot of people

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 02:38:09 PM by SomeoneLikeHim »
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1507 on: April 08, 2014, 02:30:51 PM »
Renewed for 2 more seasons!  :metal

Offline FracturedMirror

« Reply #1508 on: April 08, 2014, 03:21:57 PM »

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1509 on: April 08, 2014, 04:52:45 PM »

Nice.  They did have the highest ratings for the show and tops since the Sopranos season finale for HBO.  Pretty impressive when season 4 is getting your highest ratings.  The shows a super hit and the creators wanted to do 7 seasons so that seems likely now.

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1510 on: April 08, 2014, 07:31:32 PM »
Jack's action is gold again, we mean to hate his character but I can't stop cheering every time he's on screen.

This. I love Joffrey.

He should stop having the most punchable face in the universe then.

Nice.  They did have the highest ratings for the show and tops since the Sopranos season finale for HBO.  Pretty impressive when season 4 is getting your highest ratings.  The shows a super hit and the creators wanted to do 7 seasons so that seems likely now.

They'll either have to stretch it out or make Martin submit to his future plans.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1511 on: April 08, 2014, 08:00:11 PM »

This. I love Joffrey.

Nah.

That's Pete Campbell from Mad Men. Joffrey can take the number two slot. :)

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1512 on: April 09, 2014, 06:48:23 AM »

This. I love Joffrey.

Nah.

I think you have that backwards. Pete may be a buttmunch, but at least he hasn't sadistically murdered anyone or forced someone else to murder someone.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1513 on: April 09, 2014, 07:09:50 AM »

They'll either have to stretch it out or make Martin submit to his future plans.

The creators will want to do 7 seasons and end the story, with or without Martin.  Martin already told them the basic outline of whats to happen minus the details.  However, with the WoW chapters that are out already and something that happened in the first episode of this season, it seems like they have been communicating a lot about whats to happen.  Just my opinion though.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1514 on: April 09, 2014, 07:31:43 AM »
How many books deep are we in the show? I can't imagine we can get through what's left in the books in just this season plus three more unless they really start accelerating things.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1515 on: April 09, 2014, 07:50:45 AM »
Technically this season is the second half of the third book but they also are using storylines from the 5th book, but for those who haven't read, books 4 and 5 run parallel in time and are much slower paced so a lot of people think the show will be able to do both books in one season especially since this season will already go far into some of book 5s story's.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1516 on: April 09, 2014, 09:29:46 AM »
I haven't red them, so I don't know, but considering how long they are, I always thought that what remained of book 4 and 5 after this season would take two seasons. And hearing Martin talk about how long the two last books will be I imaged them taking up maybe three seasons combined.

Of course, that would make 9 seasons, which is definetely more than Benioff and Weiss has said they hope to do...

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1517 on: April 09, 2014, 10:40:46 AM »
I'm sure they will take a chunk of 4th and 5th books this season, and I think they've got to finish both of these books in season 5, maybe including something from the 6th book as well. As it happens, both 4th and 5th books are mainly world-building with not so many "oh-my-god" scale events. They are building up to at least two major events, yet due to the length and editing choices both events were left out of the fifth book, and I'm sure this won't work on the show.

GRRM himself said A Feast For Crows and A Dance With Dragons should take two or even three seasons, but I honestly think this is unrealistic as hell. Only a couple of faithful watchers will keep up with this show if this would be the case, so they obviously have to shorten all the stuff, especially as they currently have seven seasons plan.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1518 on: April 09, 2014, 11:00:23 AM »
I'm sure they will take a chunk of 4th and 5th books this season, and I think they've got to finish both of these books in season 5, maybe including something from the 6th book as well. As it happens, both 4th and 5th books are mainly world-building with not so many "oh-my-god" scale events. They are building up to at least two major events, yet due to the length and editing choices both events were left out of the fifth book, and I'm sure this won't work on the show.

GRRM himself said A Feast For Crows and A Dance With Dragons should take two or even three seasons, but I honestly think this is unrealistic as hell. Only a couple of faithful watchers will keep up with this show if this would be the case, so they obviously have to shorten all the stuff, especially as they currently have seven seasons plan.

Totally agree.  Also, if the creators want to do 7 seasons and they have already surpassed the books, theres no reason to think they could end the show a different and shorter way than the books end.  No one knows what will happen, but Im really hoping for WoW to be out before next season because I am pretty sure there will be storylines for next season that are passed the books.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1519 on: April 09, 2014, 05:15:40 PM »

This. I love Joffrey.

Nah.

I think you have that backwards. Pete may be a buttmunch, but at least he hasn't sadistically murdered anyone or forced someone else to murder someone.
No.
In terms of pure face-punchability, Peter's smarmy, baby-faced grin deserves a fist far more. Joffrey is way more of a monster but that's not what I was talking about.

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1520 on: April 13, 2014, 07:53:57 PM »
FUCK YES

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1521 on: April 13, 2014, 07:54:21 PM »
WOW. I knew what was gonna happen, but I was once again not prepared! :lol

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #1522 on: April 13, 2014, 07:59:22 PM »
So happy Joffrey's dead. Never thought I'd say something like that, even about a TV character. :lol
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #1523 on: April 13, 2014, 08:28:23 PM »
Apparently there is a cure for being a cunt.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #1524 on: April 13, 2014, 08:40:34 PM »
Weddings in Westeros: never a dull moment!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1525 on: April 13, 2014, 10:01:32 PM »
So GoT viewers, which had you more stunned: the Red Wedding or the Purple Wedding?

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1526 on: April 13, 2014, 11:27:03 PM »
I need to get some help...the whole time he was twisting on the ground, I kept saying "Die you motherfucker, die", over and over again. I'd have to say I've never experienced so much hatred for a tv character. Jesus! My reaction actually surprised me. And now I'm so giddy with glee. I haven't been this fired up since the ending of Braveheart!! NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT  :metal   :biggrin:

Too bad Tyrion is being set up. Only Lannister worth anything.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline jcmistat

« Reply #1527 on: April 14, 2014, 01:08:18 AM »
So GoT viewers, which had you more stunned: the Red Wedding or the Purple Wedding?

Easily the Red Wedding because at the time I haven't read any of the books. That scene was much more brutal than Joffrey's death.

I knew Purple Wedding had to happen early because its around the half way point of book 3. This season is supposed to be the second half of the third book so it couldn't be towards the end like the Red Wedding. Still a little surprised it happened in episode two.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #1528 on: April 14, 2014, 02:06:40 AM »
Such a satisfying episode  :metal

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1529 on: April 14, 2014, 08:59:36 AM »
I was pleased with the portrayal of the Purple Wedding but prior to that it seemed the episode was paced a bit slow and plodding. Is it just me or is the acting/directing just a bit phoned in? The first episode was much the same.

It seems to me that the horror of the Reek/Ramsay Snow relationship isn't translating to the screen very well. For just a moment, when Reek was holding the razor to Ramsay's neck I thought they'd captured it but then Reek's submission seemed a little off. His motivation for not cutting Ramsay's throat just wasn't visceral enough. I don't know, it's hard to explain. What do y'all think?
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #1530 on: April 14, 2014, 09:55:11 AM »
I knew both events were happening, since I'd already read the books, but I think that the Red Wedding was far more of a "shock." It's certainly a far more brutal affair than the Purple Wedding. One was a clever assassination, the other was a slaughterhouse.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #1531 on: April 14, 2014, 10:06:24 AM »
I knew both events were happening, since I'd already read the books, but I think that the Red Wedding was far more of a "shock." It's certainly a far more brutal affair than the Purple Wedding. One was a clever assassination, the other was a slaughterhouse.

I think the Purple Wedding was more of a shock. He's the king, FFS.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1532 on: April 14, 2014, 10:15:43 AM »
I honestly don't know which one shocked me more. The Red Wedding for me had this impending doom hanging over the entire thing, and although going into it I was kinda excited, once the Rains of Castamere began playing I suddenly felt really apprehensive.

The Purple Wedding, I was pretty excited right up until the moment of Joffrey's death. Not that I regret his death - he was a bastard until the very end and pretty much earned it. But watching it was pretty excruciating. It's still kinda of a disturbing thing to watch someone die, even if entirely fictional, and even if they deserved it, especially when it happens in such a violent way.

On a side note, both Jack Gleeson and Lena Heady were fan-fucking-tastic in those final moments. They both really sold it. And as much of a bastard Joffrey was, I'm going to miss Gleeson. How much I hated Joffrey was truly a mark of how great Gleeson was at bringing that character to life. I hope he goes on to a busy career after this.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #1533 on: April 14, 2014, 10:38:09 AM »
I honestly don't know which one shocked me more. The Red Wedding for me had this impending doom hanging over the entire thing, and although going into it I was kinda excited, once the Rains of Castamere began playing I suddenly felt really apprehensive.

The Purple Wedding, I was pretty excited right up until the moment of Joffrey's death. Not that I regret his death - he was a bastard until the very end and pretty much earned it. But watching it was pretty excruciating. It's still kinda of a disturbing thing to watch someone die, even if entirely fictional, and even if they deserved it, especially when it happens in such a violent way.

On a side note, both Jack Gleeson and Lena Heady were fan-fucking-tastic in those final moments. They both really sold it. And as much of a bastard Joffrey was, I'm going to miss Gleeson. How much I hated Joffrey was truly a mark of how great Gleeson was at bringing that character to life. I hope he goes on to a busy career after this.

Gleeson is apparently going to retire from acting now that he's finished GoT. I hope he changes his mind down the road, as he really is a terrific actor.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1534 on: April 14, 2014, 11:00:03 AM »

Red Wedding easily. I wasn't even surprised by this episode, and I haven't read the books. The main difference for me is that Red Wedding was characters you really cared about and loved, and it came out of nowhere. This time it was a character you hated, and most characters had a reason for hating him as well. And so it wasn't surprising in that sense, someone would have taken care of it sooner or later anyways.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #1535 on: April 14, 2014, 11:19:47 AM »
who the fuck cared about and/or loved Robb Stark?

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1536 on: April 14, 2014, 12:24:53 PM »
I must be the only one in the world who hated to see Joffrey die. Dammit! I loved watching Joffrey be an evil sick person, and I think the show will lose something without him.

Things like this is why I love the show though.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1537 on: April 14, 2014, 12:28:56 PM »

This. As much as he was the designated good guy, his story didn't interest me at all, and he was so incompetent that I actually found myself rooting for the Lannisters.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1538 on: April 14, 2014, 01:15:36 PM »
"Love" is a strong word, but I definitely cared about Robb.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1539 on: April 14, 2014, 01:58:19 PM »

I dont know if its Robb himself, but I think a lot of people cared about the Starks as they are portrayed as the good guys.  The red wedding is definitely more surprising because it happened to the good guys, you just dont see that very often in shows/movies.

And I am really upset Joffrey is gone, he was my favorite to hate character on TV.  The actor just did such an amazing job with him.