Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 628345 times)

Offline soundgarden

Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #1260 on: July 10, 2013, 08:28:34 AM »
Holy hell, that would have been perfect.  A throne that looks more like an instrument of torture.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #1261 on: July 10, 2013, 09:25:43 AM »
Holy hell, that would have been perfect.  A throne that looks more like an instrument of torture.

Well, in the books it's not suppose to be a comfortable seat and it's impossible to sit with you back touching it as all blades were sharp because, as Aegon the Conqueror thought, "a king should never sit easy".
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #1262 on: July 10, 2013, 09:28:16 AM »

Well, in the books it's not suppose to be a comfortable seat and it's impossible to sit with you back touching it as all blades were sharp because, as Aegon the Conqueror thought, "a king should never sit easy".

See, it's details like this and events like the Red Wedding that make me love this series so much. Very dark and gritty fantasy material. :metal
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1263 on: July 10, 2013, 09:29:00 AM »
I'll never be able too look at the TV-throne the same way again.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1264 on: July 10, 2013, 09:36:10 AM »

See, it's details like this and events like the Red Wedding that make me love this series so much. Very dark and gritty fantasy material. :metal
Yeah! It's said that the Throne actually KILLED one of the Targaryen kings and the Mad King was also called the Scab King because he use to get cut by it almost daily! :lol

Though, seeing the Iron Throne like that completely changes my mental picture of how Jaime killed the Mad King, I never thought the steps were ON the throne itself but like a platform.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #1265 on: July 10, 2013, 09:40:25 AM »
Maegor was killed by the Kingsguard, the throne thing was just a metaphor to convey the fact that his cruelty was so great that symbolically the whole realm turned against him to his demise!
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1266 on: July 10, 2013, 09:44:22 AM »
Shhhh don't break its mystique!

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1267 on: July 10, 2013, 09:48:48 AM »
 :D

Anyway: reposting for new page's sake!

So, here's a drawing of the "real" Iron Throne. (i.e. as GRRM imagined it)

Aegon the Conqueror was the walking definition of subtle!

That's simply beautifully terrifying. I love it.
- Marco

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1268 on: July 14, 2013, 01:04:51 PM »
I only just watched all of season 3, within the last 24 hours. One of my jackass friends spoiled the wedding scene, so that came as no surprise  :-[

Overall I really enjoyed this season, probably my favorite so far. And such fantastically developed characters...  :heart
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1269 on: July 14, 2013, 01:33:23 PM »
I spent the past week or so drooling over that picture. It makes me want a graphic-novel of the series. Every detail and storyline presented in its original form; that would be so fucking amazing. Television will always have its own agenda, trying to make its own way (and money) and an 'original adaptation'. Fuck that. I want that god-damning throne. It's the greatest piece of furniture I've ever seen.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1270 on: July 14, 2013, 01:38:26 PM »

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1271 on: July 21, 2013, 11:14:17 AM »
Goddamn....I already miss GoT! Can't believe I'll have to wait almost a year for the next season.... :'(
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1272 on: July 21, 2013, 11:29:54 AM »
Will soon watch all three seasons with my dad. Should be both awesome and awkward...

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1273 on: August 03, 2013, 09:37:31 AM »
Favorite moment of the entire series: The third horn blast...

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1274 on: August 03, 2013, 10:37:44 AM »
If only the show had had enough budget to actually film some of the Battle of the Fist of the First Men! I loved how that ended season 2 but very disappointed they didn't show anything about it on the season 3 premiere.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1275 on: August 03, 2013, 03:14:35 PM »
Yeah that's a bit sad. Although I just choose to see it like they want to save seeing the White Walkers in action until they actually like march on the south or something. For real I mean, not just showing up to end the season and then disappear completely for the entire next one.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1276 on: August 03, 2013, 03:19:27 PM »
Well, the White Walkers don't really fight in that battle. The Watch is overrun and almost completely annihilated by wights.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1277 on: August 03, 2013, 05:08:36 PM »
Oh, well then I agree with you even more.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1278 on: August 03, 2013, 05:18:13 PM »
Oh, well then I agree with you even more.

The Others are much more of a fleeting presence in the books than they are in the show, for obvious reasons. Up to the present point in the series, the WW had shown up only twice in the corresponding book reality IRRC, in the prologue and in the sequence that granted Sam his nickname ;)
- Marco

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1279 on: August 04, 2013, 03:59:10 AM »
I am really excited about seeing them actually attack the people. Because I always get the feeling that the Walkers are what really matters. The red woman whose name I can't spell expressed perfectly what I had been thinking most of the show. "Your war of five kings means nothing". That what's coming from the north is the actual problem for humanity and I find that awesome.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1280 on: August 04, 2013, 04:18:14 AM »
I am really excited about seeing them actually attack the people. Because I always get the feeling that the Walkers are what really matters. The red woman whose name I can't spell expressed perfectly what I had been thinking most of the show. "Your war of five kings means nothing". That what's coming from the north is the actual problem for humanity and I find that awesome.

This is true, but I would suggest a line of thought that could be interesting: why are those creatures (that the book depicts as beautiful and angel-like, despite them being absolutely lethal) invading the south after more than 5000 years? Nothing happens by chance, and for sure nothing happens by chance in GRRM's universe. I dislike the idea of a evil-for-the-sake-of-it creatures that want to destroy humankind almost as much as George does, so I would give a thought to their motives and reasons, and most of all speculate on who they are and what their past might have been.

This reasoning is prompted by a number of very small and subtle hints sowed throughout the books, that the Others may not be the absolute evil we like to believe. In the series those hints are still to show up or have been dramatically downtoned to almost nothing in the past.
- Marco

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1281 on: August 04, 2013, 05:19:19 AM »
Interesting. I have never given that anmy serious thought but it has occured to me when watching the show, or at least the season 2 finale. I got the feeling that even though they so far have been portrayed as absolute evil monsters they do have a sense of mercy since the Walkers spared Sam as he was hiding behind the rock. More than that I don't know but it will be very interesting to see.

(that the book depicts as beautiful and angel-like, despite them being absolutely lethal)

Really? I had no idea. I do think they look awesome in the show though so I can't decide what I would have liked more..

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1282 on: August 04, 2013, 03:38:21 PM »
I always assumed they were marching because Winter Is Coming.  With the coldness they can move south. Not a real motive I guess but just figured they were nomads who walked with the weather and in the past they would just be stopped by the wall.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1283 on: August 04, 2013, 03:43:37 PM »
I've always wonder if the coldness brings them or do they bring the coldness...

In the books, Winter has officially come (as the Citadel has sent out their white ravens), but the few times the Others have appeared everything becomes colder around the area.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1284 on: August 04, 2013, 03:58:57 PM »
I'd like to think that they bring the cold, it would make them seem more powerful which I like. powah to teh wlakers.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1285 on: August 04, 2013, 04:37:30 PM »
Well it is known that they do bring some cold as its been noted that it gets colder when they are near buy it would be interesting if it is them who brings winter.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1286 on: August 04, 2013, 04:49:47 PM »
It would explain the weird seasons Westeros goes through. 10 year summers and so on.

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #1287 on: August 04, 2013, 04:51:45 PM »
I've always wondered how they count years in westeros, anybody who knows?
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #1288 on: August 04, 2013, 04:59:35 PM »
I think it's approximately the same amount of time. It's probably either based on moon phases (and thus months), or lesser variations in climate over the course of the year.

Another thing to note is that there doesn't seem to be any mention of the season changes outside of Westeros, is that correct?
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1289 on: August 04, 2013, 05:30:29 PM »
Basically what Ian said. They talk about full moons and fortnights a lot so I guess it's gotta be the same/close to it.

And I think Essos also experiences seasons of varying lengths.

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #1290 on: August 04, 2013, 05:33:49 PM »
You gotta wonder though how they came up with the idea of years to begin with. It's one thing to count years, it's another thing to concieve the idea.
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1291 on: August 04, 2013, 05:38:07 PM »
Mankind has been around in Westeros for >12,000 years, I'm guessing someone decided to count the days at one point. :lol

Most of the early history of Westeros isn't very clear (lots of myths, legends) since the First Men didn't write things down, they only made runes and in the Old Tongue which is a dead language South of the Wall.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 05:48:16 PM by Dimitrius »

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #1292 on: August 04, 2013, 05:57:52 PM »
Mankind has been around in Westeros for >12,000 years, I'm guessing someone decided to count the days at one point. :lol

Most of the early history of Westeros isn't very clear (lots of myths, legends) since the First Men didn't write things down, they only made runes and in the Old Tongue which is a dead language South of the Wall.
I think what was meant is that we came up with the concept of years because that's how long it takes for the seasons to go through a full cycle, so in a world world where the seasons don't follow that pattern it doesn't make sense that the people would come up with the measurement of a year. I've seen that suggested as evidence that the seasons didn't always change as they do now, and once must have been "normal". That or it'd be too complicated to come up with a different way of measuring people's ages and lengths of time that people would understand.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1293 on: August 04, 2013, 05:58:55 PM »
A year is the time it takes a planet to go around the sun, the season cycle doesn't matter. How they figured out to count a year when they can't use the season as a "hint" would be something interesting to find out, though.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1294 on: August 04, 2013, 06:23:18 PM »
Im pretty sure the seasons in Westeros have nothing to do with the way our (real) seasons work in terms of astrology. 

I kind of just threw out the idea of the walkers bringing winter and maybe that does make sense.  The books and show mention that a long summer brings a long winter maybe meaning a long time without walkers brings a long time with them (since I would assume they would grow in numbers over time).  Who knows.  I think a lot about the seasons in westeros is still to be determined by the books.