Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 628448 times)

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #1050 on: May 20, 2013, 11:47:56 AM »
Loved the whole wedding sequence :tup
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1051 on: May 20, 2013, 12:45:40 PM »
The next episode should be joyous and uplifting!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #1052 on: May 20, 2013, 12:46:41 PM »
"I vomited on a girl once...In the middle of the act.... Not proud of it, but I think honesty is important"
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1053 on: May 20, 2013, 01:36:15 PM »
If this show keeps pile up great episodes like this, i don't know what to do....
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #1054 on: May 20, 2013, 01:37:45 PM »
The next episode should be joyous and uplifting!
I seriously CAN NOT WAIT to see how they're going to do this :corn

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1055 on: May 20, 2013, 01:40:45 PM »
Is there only 2 episodes left this season....or is 2 until a mid season break? And, did that say the next episode is in 2 weeks? I guess because of Memorial Day?
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1056 on: May 20, 2013, 01:44:05 PM »
Yes, no, yes, yes.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #1057 on: May 20, 2013, 01:45:13 PM »
Yea, there is no new episode next week. The last two episodes of the season are airing on June 2nd and June 9th. They also will start filming season 4 sometime this summer and we'll be set up with a season 4 premiere sometime around March/April 2014.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1058 on: May 20, 2013, 02:02:25 PM »
Yes, no, yes, yes.
Yea, there is no new episode next week. The last two episodes of the season are airing on June 2nd and June 9th. They also will start filming season 4 sometime this summer and we'll be set up with a season 4 premiere sometime around March/April 2014.

Wow. Seems like that season flew by.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1059 on: May 22, 2013, 11:56:00 AM »
The White Walkers, also known as the Others, the most fearsome creatures next to dragons that bring cold wintery death with them where ever they go. Their shrill screams bring the dead with them, massive walls were built to keep them out of Westeros. And the first person to kill one after eight thousand years was none other than Ser Piggy, the Lord of Ham himself, Samwell Tarly of Horn Hill!

Take a moment and appreciate that fucking poetry!

Sorry to ruin your fun, but Jon killed one in season 1. Also one was killed in the first episode this season by being burned and probably more were killed in the battle of the fist of first men that wasn't shown in episode 1. I would also assume wildlings have killed them, but I do believe this was the first time one was killed with dragon glass.

Amazing episode this week.

My first thought when Sam killed the Walker was "well that was easy". Then I remembered that he did it with that dragon-something spear tip he found. So I really hope that's what did it, because if all it takes to kill a White Walker is one stab in the shoulder I'd be disappointed.

Yes, the dragonglass made the trick  :tup

And he ran off and left it behind!!! :facepalm:

In the books the glass shatters. Not sure if it happened in the show though.

Offline bertoltus

• Reign on, you crazy tyrant!
« Reply #1060 on: May 22, 2013, 01:52:01 PM »
The White Walkers, also known as the Others, the most fearsome creatures next to dragons that bring cold wintery death with them where ever they go. Their shrill screams bring the dead with them, massive walls were built to keep them out of Westeros. And the first person to kill one after eight thousand years was none other than Ser Piggy, the Lord of Ham himself, Samwell Tarly of Horn Hill!

Take a moment and appreciate that fucking poetry!

Sorry to ruin your fun, but Jon killed one in season 1. Also one was killed in the first episode this season by being burned and probably more were killed in the battle of the fist of first men that wasn't shown in episode 1. I would also assume wildlings have killed them, but I do believe this was the first time one was killed with dragon glass.

Amazing episode this week.

My first thought when Sam killed the Walker was "well that was easy". Then I remembered that he did it with that dragon-something spear tip he found. So I really hope that's what did it, because if all it takes to kill a White Walker is one stab in the shoulder I'd be disappointed.

Yes, the dragonglass made the trick  :tup

And he ran off and left it behind!!! :facepalm:

In the books the glass shatters. Not sure if it happened in the show though.

Actually, I always understood it in a way that there are two kinds of Others, the ordinary wights and the infamous white walkers. The wights are simply reanimated bodies, vulnerable to fire, while the actual white walkers are more like liches who also wield some kind of absurdly sharp blades. And Samwell is actually the first person to kill one of the latter ones.

Minor spoiler ahead:

(Also, in the books the dagger shatters when Sam tries to attack a wight that is wearing chainmail.)

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #1061 on: May 22, 2013, 02:05:23 PM »
Having watched the preview for the next episode, I'm somewhat disappointed that they chose to keep Edmure's wedding and even show it on screen. Given that said happening is hardly relevant and takes no more than a few pages on the books I would have liked it better had the producer chosen to dedicate some more screen time to show some tits or some character developement.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #1062 on: May 22, 2013, 02:07:16 PM »
Having watched the preview for the next episode, I'm somewhat disappointed that they chose to keep Edmure's wedding and even show it on screen. Given that said happening is hardly relevant and takes no more than a few pages on the books I would have liked it better had the producer chosen to dedicate some more screen time to show some tits or some character developement.
I don't even remember that.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 02:39:05 PM by SomeoneLikeHim »

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1063 on: May 22, 2013, 02:15:18 PM »
Correct, Sam killed an Other. The rest killed were wights, which are sort of like minions of the Others.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1064 on: May 22, 2013, 02:20:46 PM »
Interesting. I didn't catch that while reading the books although the references wights and others but always thought they were the same. Has the show made a distinction?

Spoiler question below...

is cold hands a wight then? I certainly got the feeling that he was something like a wight walker but a good one. Maybe even Cersai's champion as well at the end of DwD?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 03:55:14 PM by cramx3 »

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1065 on: May 22, 2013, 02:27:40 PM »
Actually, I always understood it in a way that there are two kinds of Others, the ordinary wights and the infamous white walkers. The wights are simply reanimated bodies, vulnerable to fire, while the actual white walkers are more like liches who also wield some kind of absurdly sharp blades. And Samwell is actually the first person to kill one of the latter ones.
To me, the Others and the White Walkers are just one in the same. The wights are just zombies/reanimated corpses the Others use as grunts.

Offline bertoltus

• Reign on, you crazy tyrant!
« Reply #1066 on: May 22, 2013, 02:34:00 PM »
Interesting. I didn't catch that while reading the books although the references wights and others but always thought they were the same. Has the show made a distinction?

is cold hands a wight then? I certainly got the feeling that he was something like a wight walker but a good one. Maybe even Cersai's champion as well at the end of DwD?

There's a popular theory that Coldhands is a wight being possessed by a skinchanger (namely Benjen). As for Cersei's champion, I think he's the result of the same spell that was used on Khal Drogo, and that's a different kind of magic.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1067 on: May 22, 2013, 02:34:12 PM »
White Walkers and Others are the same, it's just a matter of different people giving different names.

First, it's not clear the Others are really that evil. There are suggestions that they are not, so we really don't know enough to draw any conclusions about them or Coldhands and others similar to them. All we know is that Coldhands is similar to Others and wights, but there are distinct differences ...so who knows.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1068 on: May 23, 2013, 04:30:35 AM »

There's a popular theory that Coldhands is a wight being possessed by a skinchanger (namely Benjen). As for Cersei's champion, I think he's the result of the same spell that was used on Khal Drogo, and that's a different kind of magic.

interesting theory. I thought it was possible that cold hands was actually Ben jen just turned other since he covers his face so Bran can't see him

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1069 on: May 23, 2013, 06:14:40 AM »

interesting theory. I thought it was possible that cold hands was actually Ben jen just turned other since he covers his face so Bran can't see him
The theory against Coldhands being Benjen is that both Coldhands and Leaf (the Children of the Forest Bran meets) say he's been dead for years, "they killed him long ago" I think it's the exact quote from Leaf (Benjen, if he indeed was killed, has been dead for 3 years max). But Coldhands has to be some member of the Night's Watch because of how he dresses and refers to Sam.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1070 on: May 23, 2013, 09:19:11 AM »
Guys, the small text is getting to be annoying, and if I'm not mistaken most of it belongs in the thread about the novels, not the show, doesn't it?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1071 on: May 23, 2013, 09:24:18 AM »
Right now yes, but using small text it's the only option we have when we speculate on how the show could portray something we know it's going to happen in the future. Unless we bring that too directly to the ASOIAF thread.
- Marco

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1072 on: May 23, 2013, 09:30:13 AM »
Right now yes, but using small text it's the only option we have when we speculate on how the show could portray something we know it's going to happen in the future. Unless we bring that too directly to the ASOIAF thread.
This, it's been the standard way for us to hide spoilers in many threads. Not nice to call it annoying, we're discussing on topic and being careful about it. The questions started in relation to the tv series, clarifying from the books is pretty natural.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1073 on: May 23, 2013, 09:33:23 AM »
It's still annoying.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1074 on: May 23, 2013, 09:35:09 AM »
I'll post spoilers in bold font from now on.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1075 on: May 23, 2013, 09:37:24 AM »
And make them size 23.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1076 on: May 23, 2013, 10:22:29 AM »
I understand the conversation went beyond the show, but it started based on the show and it is really the only way to relate what's happening in the show without spoiling for others. It may be annoying to some but its probably less annoying then saying it without small font.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1077 on: May 24, 2013, 02:54:40 PM »
lol

Wait, aren't you the one who isn't even watching the show?

At any rate, keep doing what you're doing.  I don't see a better alternative.  I will be silently annoyed.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1078 on: May 24, 2013, 05:11:46 PM »
Hef, have you read the books?  I didnt read until the end of season two and I greatly appreciated the spoilers being hidden in this thread, but I get your point.  It is kind of annoying, but the ASOIAF thread doesn't really have much chatter going on since most people are talking more about the show and then the readers talk about how it relates to the books, thanks for letting us continue.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1079 on: May 24, 2013, 08:22:02 PM »
That was a great episode. And actually they're holding back a new episode to show the Liberace movie instead

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1080 on: May 24, 2013, 10:21:17 PM »
lol

Wait, aren't you the one who isn't even watching the show

What difference does that make? I'm a fan of the series so have an interest in the tv show and its discussion.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1081 on: May 25, 2013, 03:43:17 AM »
lol

Wait, aren't you the one who isn't even watching the show

What difference does that make? I'm a fan of the series so have an interest in the tv show and its discussion.
Whatever, dude.  Not a big deal, calm down.  I just don't get it.  Carry on.

Yeah, I've read the books.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1082 on: May 25, 2013, 08:29:00 AM »
That was a great episode. And actually they're holding back a new episode to show the Liberace movie instead

They are holding it back because of the holiday weekend in the US. They aired Blackwater last memorial day weekend and it got poor ratings even though it was the best episode of the series. The next episode is big and HBO is learning from their mistake. I do wish it were on though cause I don't want to keep waiting.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1083 on: May 25, 2013, 11:05:19 AM »
It took me three seconds last week to figure out why GoT wasn't on this week. "Wait, what...oh yeah, the biggest episode of the season last year played Memorial Day weekend and lost over a million viewers." They don't want to make that mistake with what's coming  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1084 on: May 25, 2013, 11:22:34 AM »
It took me three seconds last week to figure out why GoT wasn't on this week. "Wait, what...oh yeah, the biggest episode of the season last year played Memorial Day weekend and lost over a million viewers." They don't want to make that mistake with what's coming  :lol

Winter? :neverusethis:
- Marco