Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 628287 times)

Offline yorost

• Inactive
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #840 on: April 10, 2013, 05:47:24 PM »
I think they could have kept the name Jeyne, but overall, I dont find the change to be a big deal.  She plays a very small part in terms of dialogue and actions herself in the book, but plays a significant role in terms of story so I think it's fine if the show decided to show a lot more of her to give her character and her role more importance. Also, being with the Lannisters doesn't seem very believable compared to how they showed thier meeting. 
...but this is just what makes it sound like an annoying change. Jeyne was en open book for them to expand. Saying this is more believable than the Lannister angle wouldn't be more than laziness on their part.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #841 on: April 10, 2013, 06:56:51 PM »
I don't think they have time to expand.  If anything, they need to contract.  Ergo, it's a move that is just fine.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #842 on: April 10, 2013, 09:09:12 PM »
Jeyne to Talisa already happened and was an expansion.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #843 on: April 10, 2013, 09:37:12 PM »
Man, that duel was really meh. Kinda makes me worry about a certain duel coming up in a certain upcoming season. I hope they put a bit more, um, oomph into that one.

Everything else seemed pretty solid. I liked Jojen and Thoros.

Also...

I'm betting the 'guy' that was sent by Theon's sister is the bastard of Bolton.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #844 on: April 14, 2013, 10:41:15 PM »
Spoilers if you haven't seen the episode!!!

I guess Jamie will never be...

(•_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

''Hand'' of the king now
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #845 on: April 15, 2013, 07:40:51 AM »
lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #846 on: April 15, 2013, 07:47:26 AM »
It's a shame that whoever runs Arrested Westeros is on vacation right now, otherwise there would be a flood of posts.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #847 on: April 15, 2013, 08:38:30 AM »
GOD I'VE BEEN WAITING SINCE THE END OF SEASON 2 FOR THAT TO HAPPEN

Character development go!

...my name is Araragi.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #848 on: April 15, 2013, 08:41:12 AM »
Just started watching this show last week. I'm on the third episode of season 2 and liking it very much so far.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #849 on: April 15, 2013, 08:59:39 AM »
Hell yeah! Now begins the development that made him my favorite character of the series!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #850 on: April 15, 2013, 11:27:05 AM »
Also is it just me or is that guy who was helping Theon definitely Ramsay Snow? I'm reminded of a section in the book where it talks about how Ramsay would pretend to let women go free just so he could have the fun of chasing them down and recapturing them.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #851 on: April 15, 2013, 11:30:15 AM »
Also is it just me or is that guy who was helping Theon definitely Ramsay Snow? I'm reminded of a section in the book where it talks about how Ramsay would pretend to let women go free just so he could have the fun of chasing them down and recapturing them.

Definitely. Anything different would make little sense story-wise.

Hell yeah! Now begins the development that made him my favorite character of the series!

He is my favourite too! :highfive:
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Online SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #852 on: April 15, 2013, 02:26:44 PM »
Great episode. Loved the funeral scene in the beginning and the whole Podrick sequence :lol
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #853 on: April 15, 2013, 03:25:26 PM »
Great episode. Loved the funeral scene in the beginning and the whole Podrick sequence :lol
Yeah, that was awesome. I loved the look at the wind, the draw back....the release and then just turned and threw the bow at him.....that was great!

I've not read the books at all so I really have nothing to 'go off' of, but I am highly doubting that Danarius (spelling?) is really going to give up a dragon. I'm thinking those dragons 'know' her thoughts so to speak and/or she controls them totally so after she leaves with the soldiers that dragon kills his new 'master' and rejoins her.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #854 on: April 15, 2013, 03:31:54 PM »
Yeah, that was awesome. I loved the look at the wind, the draw back....the release and then just turned and threw the bow at him.....that was great!

I've not read the books at all so I really have nothing to 'go off' of, but I am highly doubting that Danarius (spelling?) is really going to give up a dragon. I'm thinking those dragons 'know' her thoughts so to speak and/or she controls them totally so after she leaves with the soldiers that dragon kills his new 'master' and rejoins her.
Well, I have read the books so I won't say anything :P

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #855 on: April 15, 2013, 03:41:17 PM »
Goddammit cut to credits was amazing.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #856 on: April 15, 2013, 03:42:39 PM »
The name is Daenerys  :tup
- Marco

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #857 on: April 15, 2013, 03:43:33 PM »
The song during credits.....that i did not expect!  :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #858 on: April 15, 2013, 03:46:16 PM »
For that haven't read the books, the song was a The Bear and The Maiden Fair recorded by The Hold Steady, which is a ribald bard song in the books.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #859 on: April 15, 2013, 03:46:48 PM »

I'm still dying of laughter from the arrangement.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #860 on: April 15, 2013, 03:48:33 PM »

Having read the books how do you find the transition from book to show? Is it fairly accurate and stick to the book consistently? I've noticed as I read this thread there is mention of some of the characters either being expanded on....complete story arcs added...etc. As a person who's read the book has that affected you enjoying the show at all?

The name is Daenerys  :tup

Thank you! I figured I could also just type 'sexy a$$ babe' and everyone would know who I was talking about. 
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #861 on: April 15, 2013, 03:52:06 PM »
For that haven't read the books, the song was a The Bear and The Maiden Fair recorded by The Hold Steady, which is a ribald bard song in the books.
Oh, had no idea which makes it even more fun.  :tup
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #862 on: April 15, 2013, 03:59:02 PM »
I was left a bit speechless by what Stannis said to Melisandre. Quite out of his character, IMO.
- Marco

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #863 on: April 15, 2013, 06:56:10 PM »
That was awesome.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #864 on: April 16, 2013, 05:57:57 AM »
Loved Thoros and his men singing the bear and the maiden fair during the episode.

The whole Theon stuff is kind of weird. Its pretty obvious who the guy is that let him loose especially since the one guy called him basterd before he got an arrow to the head. I just don't get where this is going. Considering his story in the books.

Glad to see Jaime lose his hand. When I started watching this show I hated him a lot for what he did to Ned but he is on his way to becoming a likeable character.

I was hoping edmure would miss the boat like in the book. I think if I hadn't read the book I might be confused by all these new characters though. I think the Blackfish could have been used more like in the books where he was with Cat and Rob since the Eyrie. Just would make it easier to learn the characters instead of having a bunch thrown at you at once.

Online SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #865 on: April 16, 2013, 06:06:27 AM »

Having read the books how do you find the transition from book to show? Is it fairly accurate and stick to the book consistently? I've noticed as I read this thread there is mention of some of the characters either being expanded on....complete story arcs added...etc. As a person who's read the book has that affected you enjoying the show at all?
Short answer, no. I started reading the books after watching the first season so I might be biased towards the show. I really think that most of the changes have been understandable. I do wonder about certain things in the future however.

Like when will they talk about Tyrions backstory? With the girl he was going to marry (I forget her name). That will be really important in the fourth season.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #866 on: April 16, 2013, 08:17:13 AM »

Short answer, no. I started reading the books after watching the first season so I might be biased towards the show. I really think that most of the changes have been understandable. I do wonder about certain things in the future however.

Like when will they talk about Tyrions backstory? With the girl he was going to marry (I forget her name). That will be really important in the fourth season.
Since the show already mentioned that story in the first season, I'd think they will bring it back once the PW and Oberyn/Gregor happens

Offline Tanatra

• Forum Spider
« Reply #867 on: April 16, 2013, 11:59:03 AM »
I downloaded Episode 3 for this season and watched it last night, I have a (non-spoiler) question for anyone who has seen it: The music that plays during the credits, does it actually start towards the end of the final scene, drowning out all dialogue? I can't decide if this is an unusual error in the file, or if the producers did this on purpose to distract from what was about to happen.

Sadly, in order to watch this I'm going to have to go over to a friend's house tomorrow and download it.  :(

I really, truly, tried to upgrade my cable so that I could watch this legitimately, but Comcast is just too much of a pain in the ass to deal with, and my school has very strict policies against torrent downloads. Want to discourage downloading and increase ratings for your shows? Stop shooting yourselves in the foot, cable service providers.

In another stroke of luck, the hard drive on my laptop conveniently chose this week to die.  :censored I've been downloading episodes to my flash drive at a friend's place and watching it that way. Personally, I think it's hilarious that this is the TVMA-LSV show for which the term "sexploitation" was coined, and I've watched every episode this season on a school computer.  :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #868 on: April 16, 2013, 12:15:27 PM »
Its not supposed to play right before they cut Jamie's hand off.

Online SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #869 on: April 16, 2013, 01:37:12 PM »

Since the show already mentioned that story in the first season, I'd think they will bring it back once the PW and Oberyn/Gregor happens
Oh, my bad. I didn't think they had already mentioned it. They definitely need to tell it again though in time for "you know what"

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #870 on: April 16, 2013, 05:40:34 PM »

Oh, my bad. I didn't think they had already mentioned it. They definitely need to tell it again though in time for "you know what"
That's what the "previously on GoT" thing at the beginning is for :P

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #871 on: April 16, 2013, 05:47:55 PM »
I am a total loss here; who is that kid helping Theon?  I don't remember this at all from the books....

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #872 on: April 16, 2013, 05:49:59 PM »
I am a total loss here; who is that kid helping Theon?  I don't remember this at all from the books....
I'm guessing is THAT guy from ADwD, since the last guy he killed did say "basterd", but I'm not sure yet.

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #873 on: April 16, 2013, 06:01:25 PM »
I'm guessing is THAT guy from ADwD, since the last guy he killed did say "basterd", but I'm not sure yet.

I didnt read ADaD, but I know who you are talking about.  HBO is doing the story a little different.  I wonder where they are going with it...

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #874 on: April 16, 2013, 06:02:42 PM »