Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 628469 times)

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #455 on: April 01, 2012, 07:39:57 AM »
I've rewatched 8 out of 10 episodes from season 1 this week, so I'm not letting myself watch the season premiere until I get those last two out of the way. Can't wait though :metal
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #456 on: April 01, 2012, 07:46:11 AM »
I will be watching this, but I was a bit disappointed in the first series in the sense that the books are 1000 times better.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • ţađ besta sem guđ hefur skapađ er nýr dagur
« Reply #457 on: April 01, 2012, 08:01:36 AM »
Season 1 spoilers!!!

In the final episode of the series when Joffrey is bringing Sansa to Ned's head, he's talking about how he will put a son in her as soon as she starts bleeding and how Cersei says that that won't take long. Why is Cersei still in favour of Joffrey and Sansa's marriage? What use is it now? I don't get that.

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #458 on: April 01, 2012, 08:04:32 AM »
Because with Ned dead and Robb in war, Sansa is their direct way of owning the North through a marriage. The only one standing in the way is Robb Stark, who is the current heir.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #459 on: April 01, 2012, 08:26:00 AM »
So now that Ned's dead, the North is Robbs because he is the his oldest son. And when he's dead without children it will go to the son-in-law of his oldest daughter and not to his second oldest son Bran?

Also, what is up with the youngest Stark? I don't even know his name. He's played such a minor role so far. I didn't even realize he existed the first time I watched the series because when Robb goes to war he says to Bran that he can't come along because there must always be a Stark in Winterfell. Obviously that is not the reason Bran can't come because he is way too young but why didn't Bran go all "what about my ypunger brother?". Also, I get that NEd brings Sansa south with him for Joffrey but why does he bring Arya? 

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #460 on: April 01, 2012, 08:33:50 AM »
Also, what is up with the youngest Stark? I don't even know his name. He's played such a minor role so far. I didn't even realize he existed the first time I watched the series because when Robb goes to war he says to Bran that he can't come along because there must always be a Stark in Winterfell. Obviously that is not the reason Bran can't come because he is way too young but why didn't Bran go all "what about my ypunger brother?". Also, I get that NEd brings Sansa south with him for Joffrey but why does he bring Arya?

Really, what role could a three-year-old possibly play in the story, unless his siblings suddenly died and left him the only Stark heir?  He seems a bit older in the show, but he is three when the book starts, so that's probably why Ned didn't consider him. 

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #461 on: April 01, 2012, 08:36:06 AM »
Yeah, you're right. But if I were Bran I'd be making much more of a scene about not being able to come along because "there must always be a Stark in Winterfell" is not a valid reason.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #462 on: April 01, 2012, 05:45:17 PM »
Yeah, you're right. But if I were Bran I'd be making much more of a scene about not being able to come along because "there must always be a Stark in Winterfell" is not a valid reason.

Well, Bran was crippled by the time they left, so he couldn't really go.
Squ

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #463 on: April 01, 2012, 06:49:51 PM »
My wife and her family will be occupying our living room tonight for the season premiere of that show and I will have no choice but read in bed earlier than I usually start heh
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline jcmistat

« Reply #464 on: April 01, 2012, 10:40:03 PM »
Going to wait until all the episodes are released and marathon it. Gonna be so fucking epic. Have fun for those who are watching it live.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #465 on: April 01, 2012, 11:19:02 PM »
This first episode was kinda shaky. It got awesome in the last ten minutes but it still was... meh.

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #466 on: April 01, 2012, 11:28:29 PM »
what? i thought the season 2 premier was phenomenal! theres a few things they left out tho but it still was very well done. I still reallllly want to kick Joffrey in the face with a rock tho :|

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #467 on: April 02, 2012, 04:31:53 AM »
Agreed, phenomenal episode!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #468 on: April 02, 2012, 04:55:47 AM »
This first episode was kinda shaky. It got awesome in the last ten minutes but it still was... meh.
???
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #469 on: April 02, 2012, 10:20:13 AM »
Davos/Stannis/Melisandre trio is going to be great.  I like the actors chosen.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #470 on: April 02, 2012, 11:14:56 AM »
I don't think they did a very good job of introducing Stannis and that group. If I hadn't read the books I wouldn't have a very good idea of who all of them are.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #471 on: April 02, 2012, 11:20:33 AM »
I haven't read the books and while I don't know who all of them are, I could understand that that was Stannis Baratheon and the chick is a priestess from a religion that Stannis is taking to maybe gain people to his cause (since it's been said time and again that he isn't charismatic or inspires loyalty).
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #472 on: April 02, 2012, 11:49:08 AM »
To be fair, the books sort of just did largely the same thing in introducing Stannis and company. Just "here they are!" It could be worse, though, the entire situation with Stannis could have been explained during an otherwise pointless sex scene.  :lol

If I can find a .gif of Cersei bitchslapping Joffrey that's avatar sized I'm so using it though.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #473 on: April 02, 2012, 11:58:30 AM »
Well, they could have put more of an emphasis on Davos, who will become one of the more important characters later. To be honest, I thought the episode was bad, but that's mainly because I thought that of the first series as well and because I don't really like the hype this show has been getting. The books are about a 1000 times better. I think if they would have spread out the story a bit more evenly, like say 15-20 episode a book instead of 10 there could be a lot more explaining and stuff. Very often it appears stuff just 'happens' out of nowhere and you have to guess what the hell is going on. It helps that I've read the books but I can't imagine anyone who hasn't done that knowing who the hell Hodor, Osha, Asha, Craster, Cressen, the Bloodriders etc. is.
Squ

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #474 on: April 02, 2012, 12:06:09 PM »
As someone who was a fan of the books first I couldn't be happier with this show, and that includes last night's season 2 premiere episode.  From my experience with page to screen adaptations this is about as good as it gets.

Offline TVC 15

• I was bored before I even began
« Reply #475 on: April 02, 2012, 01:28:28 PM »
I heard that one reason why HBO has kept it to 10 was that production schedule is rather short and budget is expensive enough as it is.  Any more in terms of episodes per season will be a strain.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #476 on: April 02, 2012, 05:36:48 PM »
So, I just ordered the first four books for $21.

Offline TVC 15

« Reply #477 on: April 02, 2012, 05:59:44 PM »
I'd like to put it out there that I enjoyed that moment when Cersei and Joffrey were talking about the rumors they heard and that both had different things in mind.

Oh and that Joffrey is totally crazy for having the City Watch kill these babies that he though were his brothers.  Boy is he in for a big surprise.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #478 on: April 02, 2012, 06:08:21 PM »
I don't know if that's how it happens in the books, but from how Joffrey has been portrayed in the series (and even Sansa fooling him at the beginning of the episode) I find it hard to believe that it was indeed him who ordered the killing of the Baratheon bastards.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #479 on: April 02, 2012, 07:11:00 PM »
I don't know if that's how it happens in the books, but from how Joffrey has been portrayed in the series (and even Sansa fooling him at the beginning of the episode) I find it hard to believe that it was indeed him who ordered the killing of the Baratheon bastards.

Yeah, that was Cersei's doing, going by the book anyway. 

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #480 on: April 02, 2012, 07:20:21 PM »

Yeah, that was Cersei's doing, going by the book anyway. 
That was my #1 suspect anyway.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #481 on: April 02, 2012, 07:38:22 PM »
Love the actor playing Stannis,  Stephen Dillane.  Good first episode.  I need to read the books after the seasons.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #482 on: April 02, 2012, 08:01:52 PM »
Well, they started season 2 well. Bring it, bring it more.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #483 on: April 03, 2012, 12:52:22 AM »
I'd like to put it out there that I enjoyed that moment when Cersei and Joffrey were talking about the rumors they heard and that both had different things in mind.

Oh and that Joffrey is totally crazy for having the City Watch kill these babies that he though were his brothers.  Boy is he in for a big surprise.
But why did Joffrey say "I heard a rumour about you and Jaime"?
Also I'm pretty sure that Cersei was behind the killing so that Joffrey (and others who haven't already) wouldn't be able to find out that he is the only blonde-haired son of Robert.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #484 on: April 03, 2012, 07:17:37 AM »
There seems to be quite a few people complaining about the casting of Melisandre on Twitter:

"petyr scene was silly, he would NEVER show his hand to cersei like that. melisandre was awful! shitty b grade movie caliber :P"

The actress is replying to some of it as well.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #485 on: April 03, 2012, 07:39:01 AM »

Also I'm pretty sure that Cersei was behind the killing so that Joffrey (and others who haven't already) wouldn't be able to find out that he is the only blonde-haired son of Robert.
You mean "one of three blonde-haired son of Robert". Myrcella and Tommen are "Baratheons" too.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #486 on: April 03, 2012, 07:59:17 AM »
Right. What I meant was that Cersei is the only woman who gave Robert blonde-haired children. Which could raise suspicion.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #487 on: April 03, 2012, 08:17:06 AM »
Well no, that would diffuse suspicion wouldn't it? Because it wouldn't necessarily mean she's schtuping Jaime, only that the kids are blond when Cersei is the mother.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #488 on: April 03, 2012, 09:32:59 AM »
There seems to be quite a few people complaining about the casting of Melisandre on Twitter:

"petyr scene was silly, he would NEVER show his hand to cersei like that. melisandre was awful! shitty b grade movie caliber :P"

The actress is replying to some of it as well.

:huh:  I just don't understand.  The type of people who aren't happy with a show & adaptation of this quality aren't going to be happy about anything I guess.

Offline TVC 15

« Reply #489 on: April 03, 2012, 09:34:32 AM »

I somehow forgot about that detail.  It certainly makes more sense, especially after the Baratheons had all those ravens fly off to broadcast the dirty secret.

Carry on.