Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 628399 times)

Offline masterthes

Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #5600 on: August 24, 2017, 01:52:11 AM »
So, I think I heard this season wasn't eligible for Emmy nominations? Is that true?

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #5601 on: August 24, 2017, 04:16:41 AM »
I think it would be better if Sansa kills Littlefinger.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #5602 on: August 24, 2017, 04:35:44 AM »
I think it would be better if Sansa kills Littlefinger.

I agree, but I can't see it happening at this point. I think she still trusts him and relies on him far too much. Also, she's indebted to the knights of the Vale for getting her away from Ramsay Bolton.

If Arya does end up killing him, it's going to create a major rift between the two sisters. I'm sure that's what Littlefinger wanted, but not at the expense of his own death.  :)

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #5603 on: August 24, 2017, 04:53:35 AM »
I saw the leaked episode but because I was about to go away on vacation, it would have sucked to come back only last night, and find already spoilers and memes  :lol

I agree with the mixed reviews. On one hand, absolutely mindf'kingblowing episodes, ice dragon and all that shit  :metal on the other hand... geez. The distances. Gendry runs back to Eeastwatch on foot, they send a raven, the raven flies along an entire goddamn continent, Dany makes the trip while the guys spend seemingly only ONE night on the ice, she saves them at the last minute... then Jon stays behind to fight more wights, he goes down, gets out, gets saved once again in the nick of time by Benjen, oh cool, Benjen's back, who knows what they will do together aaaaaaaand he's dead.

It should have been one of the biggest episodes ever - like "the Red Weeding", "the one with the battle of Blackwater", "the one with the dragon attacking the Lannister army", but it was really brought down by the absolute disregard for time and distance.

I think they could have had a siege at Eastwatch - being inside a castle would have been a better excuse for 7 people to survive while surrounded and vastly outnumbered, they could have made them resist a week or so (30 seconds of dialogue abou the supplies lasting only one more day), and there could have been still the dragons arriving. The way they did it in the show was dumber, it almost feel like they wanted a dragon dying in the frozen lake, and wrote back the entire thing from it, justiifying dumb actions by the protagonists in the process.

It's a pity 'cause the character writing was there - the various guys "bonding" were all excellent scenes.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #5604 on: August 24, 2017, 06:07:44 AM »
Honestly, when you think about it, the distances actually don't seem that bad anymore. Let's say it took Gendry about 6 hours to run back to Castle Black, which seems somewhat realistic given he was running rather fast (especially given the thick furs he was wearing) and collapsed at the end. We know it's about 1000 miles from Winterfell to King's Landing (Sansa said so in the episode), so let's say it's about 1500 miles from Eastwatch to Dragonstone. Trained messenger birds in our world can manage about 60 miles per hour on a rather long distance flight, if we assume the raven they sent was changed in the middle of the journey and a "fresh" raven was carrying the message at all times, it seems possible for the message to arrive at Dragonstone within 24 hours. Especially since this is a fantasy world, and maybe ravens are a bit faster here than in hour world.
Then all that is left is for Dany to get back to the north of the wall, which is again roughly 1500 miles (I guess the distance Gendry ran is pretty negligible when we talk about flying on a dragon). Now the question is, how fast can a dragon fly? Given what we've seen of them in the series I'd say everything up until 250 miles per hour is somewhat realistic, they are magical creatures after all. Since it's a rather long distance, let's say they flew 150 miles per hour consistently, so another 10 hours to get back to the wall.
So in total, we have 6+24+10 hours from the moment Gendry left to the moment Dany arrived back, which seems not that much longer than the 36 hours many people assume that the gang was on that island.
That said, when I was watching the episode, I did find it somewhat hard to believe how quickly Dany arrived, without doing any calculations. And all the last minute rescues did seem too cliché for my taste, especially since GOT has mostly avoided clichées so far.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #5605 on: August 24, 2017, 06:58:39 AM »
Well, I guess I'll go along with your calculations and adopt them as canon, I don't think the showrunner themselves could come up with a better explanation anyway.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5606 on: August 24, 2017, 08:14:17 AM »
I think if they were stuck on that island until next episode people wouldn't feel as annoyed with the timing.  I think it all happening in one episode made it harder to swallow as believable, well in a world of nothing that's believable  :lol

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #5607 on: August 24, 2017, 09:22:15 AM »
I think if they were stuck on that island until next episode people wouldn't feel as annoyed with the timing.  I think it all happening in one episode made it harder to swallow as believable, well in a world of nothing that's believable  :lol

I was literally going to post this. If this was a 10 episode season and stuff was spread across multiple episodes I don't there would be as many people having issues with the travel.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5608 on: August 24, 2017, 10:55:29 AM »
I think IGN's review of the episode explained pretty well why something didn't quite feel right to so many people. The distances themselves aren't really the issue, it's that we got so many things happening in the same episode that these heavy moments didn't really have any time to breathe and really sink in with the viewer. It sort of felt like the showrunners rushed through massive events like they didn't really matter, and just wanted to get to the ice dragon. I don't think it's like that, I don't think the showrunners didn't care about the things going on in this episode, but unfortunately the way they paced it made it sort of feel like it.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #5609 on: August 24, 2017, 01:04:58 PM »
A shotout for the handsome and badass lines from the Hound:

"You're whinging"
"I'm not whinging"
"Your lips are moving and you're complaining about something. You're whinging"  :lol :rollin

Also Tormund's advice about staying warm in such a cold climate: "You've got to keep moving. Walking's good, fighting's better, fucking's best"  :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5610 on: August 24, 2017, 01:11:27 PM »
The pre-fighting conversations beyond the wall were really amazing.  I wish we got more of that.  I feel there's so much that can be said between these characters that would be cool to see/hear and what we got was so good, I just want more.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5611 on: August 25, 2017, 12:29:40 AM »
I think IGN's review of the episode explained pretty well why something didn't quite feel right to so many people. The distances themselves aren't really the issue, it's that we got so many things happening in the same episode that these heavy moments didn't really have any time to breathe and really sink in with the viewer. It sort of felt like the showrunners rushed through massive events like they didn't really matter, and just wanted to get to the ice dragon. I don't think it's like that, I don't think the showrunners didn't care about the things going on in this episode, but unfortunately the way they paced it made it sort of feel like it.
One thing about pace and timing on the show. In earlier seasons, they could show passage of time by going to one or several of the 25 other storylines featuring 700 other characters while any given long journey was going on.  That made it easier to depict long distances and such.

They can't do that anymore, because everyone else is now dead.  There are only so many other characters and storylines left, so it is more difficult to realistically depict how long some of these journeys take.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5612 on: August 25, 2017, 03:14:06 AM »
A shotout for the handsome and badass lines from the Hound:

"You're whinging"
"I'm not whinging"
"Your lips are moving and you're complaining about something. You're whinging"  :lol :rollin

I loved that line, I need to remember it for a few people I know ....  :rollin

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5613 on: August 25, 2017, 06:04:34 AM »
Did HBO ever give a reason as to why the last two seasons of one of the most popular shows of all time were shortened?

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #5614 on: August 25, 2017, 06:29:19 AM »
Did HBO ever give a reason as to why the last two seasons of one of the most popular shows of all time were shortened?

I read a while back that Benioff and Weiss always believed they could tell the story in 70-75 episodes. It will be 73 episodes after final season.

I think they could have easily filled the last two seasons with (10) episodes each. We could have gotten some more flushed out scenarios. At the least they could have had two (8) episode seasons.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #5615 on: August 25, 2017, 07:07:59 AM »
I'm guessing there isn't a lot of story left to tell. Lots of big action pieces and tieing up loose ends. With how long the episodes have been I don't mind.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5616 on: August 25, 2017, 07:55:24 AM »
They also don't have the book material or GRRM on board anymore to help them flesh out the storylines.  I think that has shown in the writing as the quality has gone down a bit without his input.  Having said that, I do think the show runners do a great job with what they have.  It must be difficult to finish GRRM's puzzle of a story that he himself can't finish.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #5617 on: August 25, 2017, 08:43:28 AM »
I'm going to enjoy watching the entire season on Sunday. I'd like to watch the entire series before season 8 premieres.

For the finale, I predict Cleganebowl, some form of Lannister tragedy (Cersei?), Littlefinger tasting steel... and the Lich King and Sindragosa - I mean, Night King and Blue Eyes Wight Dragon - up to some shenanigans at the Wall. And I hope it all happens :)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5618 on: August 25, 2017, 08:45:39 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised to see the finale end with the wall cracking and/or coming down.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5619 on: August 25, 2017, 08:52:40 AM »
Yea, I got to think the Night King breaches the wall in some form next episode.  And I have always assumed that would mean the wall coming down, but I'm not entirely sure how that would happen.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5620 on: August 25, 2017, 10:15:52 AM »
I wonder what kind of seismic impact that would have if it just shattered with the Night King's touch... 300 miles wide, 300 feet thick, 700 feet tall...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5621 on: August 25, 2017, 10:29:28 AM »
I wonder what kind of seismic impact that would have if it just shattered with the Night King's touch... 300 miles wide, 300 feet thick, 700 feet tall...

Assuming it's strictly water ice, that'd be 20,766,700,000,000 pounds coming down.

332,640,000,000 cubic feet of wall
62.43lbs per cubic foot

... Just realized I didn't take into account the expansion of the water when it froze. Either way, math says it's really heavy. Seismic activity would be immense.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5622 on: August 25, 2017, 11:16:15 AM »
Would it be enough to shake Kings Landing?  Maybe that would be a better way to convince Cersei  :lol

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5623 on: August 25, 2017, 11:19:44 AM »
Would it be enough to shake Kings Landing?  Maybe that would be a better way to convince Cersei  :lol

That'd be something  :lol Shits about to go down and then everything start violently shaking.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #5624 on: August 25, 2017, 11:58:48 AM »

That'd be something  :lol Shits about to go down and then everything start violently shaking.

That would be a nice final shot for the season. Maybe once again a "perfect timing" clichè, like the Vesuvius erupting at the right moment in a movie about Pompei, but the Wall coming down and the aftershock being felt in King's Landing - with the most clever of the bunch saying "There's only one thing that could cause this quake... the Wall coming down" and people going "Oh shit" - would be a great final shot.

About the shortened seasons, if you add up the additional minutes of the longer episodes, I believe you have 8 standard 50 minutes episodes. I understand storylines are being trimmed but I wouldn't have minded a couple of "bottle" episodes to reach the canonic 10, with little but meaningful scenes here and there. For one I'd watch an entire episode of the Hound being a nihilistic smartass to everyone.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5625 on: August 25, 2017, 12:02:00 PM »
For one I'd watch an entire episode of the Hound being a nihilistic smartass to everyone.

Totally.  An episode focused just on everyone walking and talking beyond the wall would have been awesome, including plenty of the Hound being a smart ass.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #5626 on: August 25, 2017, 01:44:35 PM »
https://streamable.com/n0psq

You're all welcome.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5627 on: August 25, 2017, 01:57:16 PM »
 :rollin yes, more of that please

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5628 on: August 25, 2017, 02:05:36 PM »
 :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5629 on: August 26, 2017, 10:04:39 PM »

Assuming it's strictly water ice, that'd be 20,766,700,000,000 pounds coming down.

332,640,000,000 cubic feet of wall
62.43lbs per cubic foot

... Just realized I didn't take into account the expansion of the water when it froze. Either way, math says it's really heavy. Seismic activity would be immense.

I love that you took time to do the math on this. Awesome.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5630 on: August 27, 2017, 06:20:37 PM »
Watched all of season 7 today even though I've seen all the episodes multiple times... really enjoy watching so many things come to a head yet still raising new (and old) questions for season 8 to answer. Timed last week's episode to finish right before the finale. Here's hoping for Cleganebowl.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5631 on: August 27, 2017, 08:25:36 PM »
Fairly boring finale but at least we got two worthwhile parts out of it. Anyone else confused at the opening scene? It's like they miscut that from somewhere earlier in the season because it gave no context.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5632 on: August 27, 2017, 08:28:00 PM »
Fantastic finale to a fantastic season   :metal :metal

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5633 on: August 27, 2017, 08:47:15 PM »
It was good, but I can't help but feel like everything, even the plot twists, are what people have been predicting for weeks now. Maybe that's simply because we're so close to the end, it's trying to tie up as many things as possible. However, it all seems so simple and predictable now.

Also, I found it interesting that the director decided to intercut John/Dany with the reveal that they are aunt and nephew.  :lol

Online faizoff

« Reply #5634 on: August 27, 2017, 08:48:13 PM »
What an amazing finale. I loved the pace of this episode! And finally the payoff with the Arya and Sansa rivalry was awesome! Jon's true heritage finally revealed! That scene with Sam and Bran was amazing. So many awesome moments. I think that plot of bringing back the wight did pay off. I was iffy with the idea but it was truly worth it just for Cersei's look when that wight came running for her.

So many great moments, it truly felt like the most normal paced episode this season. And now the wait begins..
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan