Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 628622 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #5495 on: August 18, 2017, 09:46:09 AM »
We haven't lost a major character yet this whole season. Who's it going to be?

My money's on Littlefinger

Little finger is the leading contender for the 'major' characters I think. With Davos, Jorah, Varys and Grey Worm being the 'second tier' possibilities.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5496 on: August 20, 2017, 08:10:37 AM »
So it seems HBO Spain fucked up and leaked Ep6, spoilers are showing up, I just accidentally clicked (a really fucking cool) one.

Tread the internet with caution my friends.
So it seems HBO Spain fucked up and leaked Ep6, spoilers are showing up, I just accidentally clicked (a really fucking cool) one.

Tread the internet with caution my friends.

Was playing poker last night with a few neighbors and I looked to one of them who I know is a huge GOT fan and said "Tony...you excited for tomorrow night...only two episodes left". He said "Well, I might have gotten a little carried away this week on the internet and read some things I probably shouldn't have read. In fact, I can probably act out each scene of the episode for you if you'd like"

He fell victim to the internet and a weak will...

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #5497 on: August 20, 2017, 08:17:25 AM »
I find it pretty easy to avoid the temptation. If I watched it earlier, then I'd have to wait even longer before the season final, and I couldn't discuss it with everyone yet after the excitement. And I haven't had any issue avoiding spoilers so far.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5498 on: August 20, 2017, 08:22:19 AM »
I find it pretty easy to avoid the temptation. If I watched it earlier, then I'd have to wait even longer before the season final, and I couldn't discuss it with everyone yet after the excitement. And I haven't had any issue avoiding spoilers so far.

Same here. I've actively sought them out in the past (far a different show) and it destroys the whole experience.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #5499 on: August 20, 2017, 08:40:06 AM »
I only got into the show recently, and this is the first season I've watched as it aired, so I didn't care about avoiding spoilers before that. I knew a lot of the major deaths and plot points beforehand (Jon Snow dying, the red wedding, Joffrey, Hodor etc), and luckily it didn't make any difference to me. GOT is so good that it's all about the experience. People who read the books basically knew stuff in advance, and I doubt it hurt the show for them.
Still, it's always better not to know in advance, and get the feels in the moment, especially at this point with more emotional investment these characters, and now that everything that happens is more important than ever to the overall story.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5500 on: August 20, 2017, 08:44:30 AM »
My brother couldn't resist temptation either. I'm staying away.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5501 on: August 20, 2017, 10:41:02 AM »
We haven't lost a major character yet this whole season. Who's it going to be?

My money's on Littlefinger

A couple of things with Littlefinger though, mainly how would they be able to keep Robin Arryn in check without Littlefinger. We already know the knights of the vale are completely under Arryn's control even though he's clearly insane.
The other thing that's been bugging me about Littlefinger's storyline is why Jon Snow despises him so much, as far as Jon knows; Littlefinger has been nothing but major help for the Starks and is solely responsible for Ramsey's defeat.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5502 on: August 20, 2017, 10:57:07 AM »

Yea Ive had no issues, but according to my friend who plays the video game PlayerUnknown's Battleground, apparently people in the game's voice chat were spoiling the show for everyone.  I'm glad I'm traveling because I definitely would have been playing with him and spoiled.  That would have pissed me off so much.

Sadly I have to watch from my hotel and not the big screen with surround sound tonight, but my gf who doesn't have HBO and would come over to watch, is somehow going to try and wait till I get back on Wednesday to watch and then I'll get to see it again on the bigger screen.  I don't know how she will last avoiding spoilers till then.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5503 on: August 20, 2017, 08:14:39 PM »
DAAAAAAAMMNNIIIIIITTTTTT!!!!!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5504 on: August 20, 2017, 08:20:32 PM »
ICE DRAGONS!
Would like to point out yet again the stupidity of this trip they made, just think that all the shit that happened in this episode took place to convince Cersei Lannister there's a threat to the north. This is The Walking Dead level of stupid.
Now she's down to two dragons and more importantly; the night king HAS A DRAGON!
Later on that night, the Night King is very excited about having a dragon but also very fuckin worried as he cannot understand why the dumb fucks pulled this whole stunt.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #5505 on: August 20, 2017, 08:28:14 PM »
Spoilers!!

Can't believe a CGI dragon would evoke such emotions in me.  Only comment I have about this episode and show I guess is that I wish they would get away from the saved at the last minute scenarios. I mean that dragon scene was flipping amazing, it was excellent editing, choreography, music and sound design but I just wished the setup was a little different. 9 out of 10 times on this show I wouldn't care about the travelling aspect but that cut of sending a raven to Dany, Dany responds and flys just in time to save the day was a HUUGGGE stretch.

Like I said the scene itself was fantastic but I just wished the setup was a tad cleaner. What is a 10/10 episode for me is a bit tainted. But other than that HOLY SHIT Ice Dragon!!!!
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5506 on: August 20, 2017, 08:29:52 PM »
YES!!! Fucking called it  :metal

Offline faizoff

« Reply #5507 on: August 20, 2017, 08:39:24 PM »
Other thoughts

Thormund and the Hound's conversation was hilarious! Two of my absolute favorite side characters. Not sure about this Arya/Sansa/little finger subplot but I'll wait for the finale to see where that's going.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #5508 on: August 20, 2017, 09:02:32 PM »
I thought it was a fucking awesome episode, and I don't think that their trip is stupid at all.  How else do you convince someone that this threat is very, very real and marching towards the Seven Kingdoms?  Cersei Lannister and the Iron Throne mean nothing when it comes to the Night King and his army - Jon Snow is so right for doing what he needs to do to convince people of their existence.  He's one person that could care less about taking the throne.  And so far, it has paid off, but yes - at a cost.  A big cost. 

When he was left behind I had a huge YES!!! moment followed immediately by a big NOOOOOO!  I felt like I did when Harry Potter lost Sirius Black - all he ever wanted was someone that he could consider family of his own.  Jon regained and immediately lost that person in his life, though it sucks that they couldn't spend more time on that or his feelings about it.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5509 on: August 20, 2017, 09:21:57 PM »
The logistics of the trip just seemed really stupid because outside of that little sortee that we saw the walkers have notoriously traveled by the thousands so were they just hoping to randomly run into one? The situation they found themselves in seemed like the only obvious conclusion to them traveling out there.

Also the ending was just one theory that seemed to be a very likely one for awhile so I wasn't all that surprised that it happened.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5510 on: August 20, 2017, 09:27:24 PM »
The night king knew they were coming and he set a trap. He needs a dragon to melt the wall (assuming it still breathes fire). He had the chains ready to go and intentionally held his army back until the dragons were almost there. I think he can see all things like Bran.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #5511 on: August 20, 2017, 09:32:38 PM »
The logistics of the trip just seemed really stupid because outside of that little sortee that we saw the walkers have notoriously traveled by the thousands so were they just hoping to randomly run into one? The situation they found themselves in seemed like the only obvious conclusion to them traveling out there.

Like Chino said, it appears to be a trap set by the Night King. Jorah or maybe it was Thormund even asks why were just a few roaming about.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5512 on: August 20, 2017, 10:35:07 PM »
The night king knew they were coming and he set a trap. He needs a dragon to melt the wall (assuming it still breathes fire). He had the chains ready to go and intentionally held his army back until the dragons were almost there. I think he can see all things like Bran.

It probably is Bran.

Great episode and it really seems like as the end has been drawing near some of the 'fan theory' ideas that are coming true fit the narrative perfectly....thus, giving us some cool moments that we more or less saw coming (ie Ice F'n Dragon)

Did anyone Else get the feeling Dany and Jon were moments away from getting engaged? It felt like that was where it was going.

Not sure why the Night King chose to hurl the first spear at the flying dragon rather than Drogon who was a sitting target and much closer? Anyway.....still a bummer that Dany lost a dragon but its gonna be a neat battle between dragons when/if they meet?

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #5513 on: August 20, 2017, 10:43:24 PM »
I'm calling bullshit if that thing breathes fire, it'd better breath ice.

Anyhoo, fucking sweet episode. They got this shit primed for the season finale, and I feel they're gonna leave us all blue balled hard for the year to come.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #5514 on: August 20, 2017, 10:48:33 PM »
Great episode.

I hope it doesn't get too big. Ice dragons and fire dragons and hundreds of thousands of faceless people all fighting, it's moments like that where you tend to lose a personal connection to what's going on.

Though I have faith the show will know how to avoid the typical DC third act problem.

Though I'm a little disappointed they went the generic ending with the undead. Kill the leader and the rest all die. This is the problem with making an unbeatable enemy. They have to be beaten eventually, and to do that you have to give them a really odd flaw.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 11:13:20 PM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #5515 on: August 20, 2017, 11:29:30 PM »
Though I'm a little disappointed they went the generic ending with the undead. Kill the leader and the rest all die. This is the problem with making an unbeatable enemy. They have to be beaten eventually, and to do that you have to give them a really odd flaw.

It's the Death Star syndrome all over again.

Offline Adami

« Reply #5516 on: August 20, 2017, 11:43:17 PM »

It's the Death Star syndrome all over again.

Or The Avengers. Kill the leader, the armies all just die.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #5517 on: August 20, 2017, 11:53:38 PM »
I like to think that after all the development Arya and Sansa have gone through throughout the series, that they're smarter than this. I hope they're playing Littlefinger. It'd be cathartic as hell for it to be Ned's kids that finally get him.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5518 on: August 21, 2017, 12:05:14 AM »
Another awesome episode. That's all I can find the words to say right now :lol
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5519 on: August 21, 2017, 03:03:38 AM »
I thought it was a fucking awesome episode, and I don't think that their trip is stupid at all.  How else do you convince someone that this threat is very, very real and marching towards the Seven Kingdoms?  Cersei Lannister and the Iron Throne mean nothing when it comes to the Night King and his army - Jon Snow is so right for doing what he needs to do to convince people of their existence.  He's one person that could care less about taking the throne.  And so far, it has paid off, but yes - at a cost.  A big cost. 

Again; it's uncharacteristic of Cersei to give a fuck about it, even if she believed it. And Tyrion should know that.
That last Dragonstone meeting about Cersei doesn't make sense to me. What do they want from her again?! Pledge an armistice? In what world do they think she'd keep a promise and not stab them in the back? If none of them know her, and Varys does, at least Tyrion should have told them she can't be trusted!
Besides, character-wise Cersei shouldn't believe any of this even if she saw a wight, she probably would believe it if she saw a white walker but wights may just as well be magic or something an ambitious maester like Qyburn created. Then the question of even if she believes them, why would she care? She's losing a war and this new unbelievable danger they speak of is threatening to wipe everybody out, it's  much more characteristic of Cersei to let all her enemies die with her than help them get rid of their problem then wait for them to turn around and fight her again.
Maybe Cersei would pretend to believe them and agree to the armistice, then attack them when they go north. That'd be Cersei 101 and it would be pretty weak writing that Tyrion didn't see it coming.

But let's bite into the hypothetical of Cersei actually giving a fuck, let's say she does cause she's pregnant and wants her newborn to survive, even though we've already seen Cersei ready to kill Tommen once before when she thought the battle of Blackwater bay was lost so she wouldn't really be struggling with the concept.
But okay, she cares to stop the world from ending, does that still warrant all the loss they suffered to get that wight? I think just getting rid of Cersei would have been easier. Cause let's face it here, what was the plan beyond the wall? To find a drifter wight? Jon knows they run in huge ruthless packs! It was a suicidal mission and they lost more than they gained out of it IMO.

Yep!

I think that's possible but a little far fetched, they have given us no indication that the night king has the sight. It would explain how the Night King knew they were gonna device such a Rick Grimes kinda plan so he'd set a trap to, cause there was no way he could've presume they were gonna be this stupid.

The Night King doesn't need the dragon to melt the wall, his problem with the wall is not it's size, but the magic built into it. Like the one that prevented him from entering the three-eyed raven cave until he put his mark on Bran.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5520 on: August 21, 2017, 06:07:42 AM »

I think that's possible but a little far fetched, they have given us no indication that the night king has the sight. It would explain how the Night King knew they were gonna device such a Rick Grimes kinda plan so he'd set a trap to, cause there was no way he could've presume they were gonna be this stupid.

The Night King doesn't need the dragon to melt the wall, his problem with the wall is not it's size, but the magic built into it. Like the one that prevented him from entering the three-eyed raven cave until he put his mark on Bran.

He must have some kind of sight though, no? I mean, the guy can just chill on a horse and independently control the actions of everyone in his army. He has to be able to see and feel what they do to some degree.

How does that magic work exactly? Do the walkers just fall apart if they get past it, or do they hit an invisible wall or something? How are they getting the walker they took captive past the wall without it also being affected by that magic?

Online Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5521 on: August 21, 2017, 07:30:57 AM »
Feel mixed on this one. On the one hand, yes I enjoyed the episode, but on the other hand I felt like it might have been the dumbest episode of the entire series.

Game of thrones typically brings razor sharp writing, and that's what drew me to the show in the first place. That plan was retarded. Utterly retarded, and how it played out was bad writing. Like 5 mins after they are passed the wall, all of them almost get murdered by one lone undead bear. Dany randomly shows up right at the nick of time, riding strait to where they are despite never being in the north ever, and Jon's uncle shows up right at the nick of time to save jon. In a show that prides itself on not following conventions, Across the board, this episode had too much goofy stuff for me to be able to suspend my disbelief.  It really did feel like a run of the mill walking dead episode. If it wasn't for the night king setting the trap and dany saving them at the very last moment, then that plan had almost 0% chance of working. The night king thanks you jon for giving him a dragon though.

And where the hell is Bran when Arya and Sansa are about to throw down. I was waiting for him to wheel in and be like "yo dummies, little finger is playing you". I'm assuming that Arya wants Sansa to put on a face and talk with little finger to hear his true thoughts and then knife him with the blade she gave her.

Oh well. At least Dany + 3 dragons kicking ass was totally incredible.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5522 on: August 21, 2017, 08:23:28 AM »
I'm assuming that Arya wants Sansa to put on a face and talk with little finger to hear his true thoughts and then knife him with the blade she gave her.

I didn't consider that angle.....that'd be awesome!!!

I'm so curious as to how this meeting is going to go down next week. I'd be disappointed if at least one major character didn't die....I mean, with all those players in the same arena....it just seems like something has to go awry. I can't imagine that Cersi won't try something and I can't imagine that the others don't know/expect that and would have a plan to defend it.

I'm wondering if this is the moment that the prophecy/theory comes true to where Jaimie kills Cersi when she try's to betray the armistice or even tries to kill Tyrion? An awful lot has been pointing to him doing so.

Feel mixed on this one. On the one hand, yes I enjoyed the episode, but on the other hand I felt like it might have been the dumbest episode of the entire series.

Game of thrones typically brings razor sharp writing, and that's what drew me to the show in the first place. That plan was retarded. Utterly retarded, and how it played out was bad writing. Like 5 mins after they are passed the wall, all of them almost get murdered by one lone undead bear. Dany randomly shows up right at the nick of time, riding strait to where they are despite never being in the north ever, and Jon's uncle shows up right at the nick of time to save jon. In a show that prides itself on not following conventions, Across the board, this episode had too much goofy stuff for me to be able to suspend my disbelief.  It really did feel like a run of the mill walking dead episode. If it wasn't for the night king setting the trap and dany saving them at the very last moment, then that plan had almost 0% chance of working. The night king thanks you jon for giving him a dragon though.

Agree with this also. I liked the episode a ton but the swiftness of Gendry running back....the raven to Dany.....Dany to the rescue at the last minute....and then the save from the Uncle out of nowhere....twas a lot to happen. Someone made the point earlier in the thread that perhaps not limiting the number of episodes to (7) this season and maybe having one or two more would have been better to allow them to work some of these 'fast' pace issues out. All in all it doesn't bother me too much but last nights issue with it was more glaring than ever.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5523 on: August 21, 2017, 08:36:54 AM »

Agree with this also. I liked the episode a ton but the swiftness of Gendry running back....the raven to Dany.....Dany to the rescue at the last minute....and then the save from the Uncle out of nowhere....twas a lot to happen. Someone made the point earlier in the thread that perhaps not limiting the number of episodes to (7) this season and maybe having one or two more would have been better to allow them to work some of these 'fast' pace issues out. All in all it doesn't bother me too much but last nights issue with it was more glaring than ever.

I don't think it was at the last minute. If the Night King was actually setting a trap, they could have been waiting for two days for all we know. He ordered them to attack once he knew Dany was about to be on top of them. It may have been a calculated and coordinated attack on his part, rather than a lucky time of arrival on Dany's end.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5524 on: August 21, 2017, 08:42:44 AM »

I don't think it was at the last minute. If the Night King was actually setting a trap, they could have been waiting for two days for all we know. He ordered them to attack once he knew Dany was about to be on top of them. It may have been a calculated and coordinated attack on his part, rather than a lucky time of arrival on Dany's end.

I understand what your saying...but the bolded....."for all we know".....that could have been better defined somehow. Maybe they tried to define it by having the one cleric freeze to death but it just 'felt' fast. I like your theory of the night King laying a trap but to the average viewer that was a 'last minute' save....along with Jon's uncle riding in from out of nowhere.

I totally dig the show and it's built my trust up enough to allow these types of little issues to really dissolve and be no big deal. I'm just saying I can understand when some folks are criticizing it for those little issues.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #5525 on: August 21, 2017, 09:23:30 AM »
Another awesome episode. That's all I can find the words to say right now :lol

Agreed! I think I'm at the perfect spot with my Game of Thrones fandom where I love it to death and make it a point to watch each week, but where I don't care quite enough to be bothered by plot holes, transporting, or anything else that the internet is mad about right now. Give me my favorite characters in the same room and I'm happy. :lol
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5526 on: August 21, 2017, 10:32:24 AM »
What an awesome episode!

BTW, I totally think Cersei is lying about being pregnant in order to keep Jaime in line. We'll see.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5527 on: August 21, 2017, 10:41:44 AM »
BTW, I totally think Cersei is lying about being pregnant in order to keep Jaime in line. We'll see.

Could totally see that. I think she could sense his distrust for her at the moment and is playing him.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5528 on: August 21, 2017, 11:08:35 AM »

Agreed.  I think the conversations before the action north of the wall may have been my favorite parts.  Seeing those characters interact was great.  The action was cool of course as well, but really I find the whole scenario ridiculous.  It'll hold the episode back from being a top one in my book, but it was still a fun and cool episode.  I thought for a bit by having the dead dragon sink in the water that we wouldn't actually be getting an ice dragon, but loved the way the episode ended.  Also, I'm guessing the Night King knew to camp there because he know Bran was watching, that was the same spot Bran saw the Night King before he scared the Ravens all away by looking at them.  Even though Bran didn't tell Jon, he probably knew that was going to be a good spot to set a trap.

The whole Arya v Sansa thing seems strange to me as well.  I know those two were never best buds, but I'd really have to think both Arya and Sansa are smarter than this, especially Arya who was acting like she couldn't care less about Sansa and she should be able to see right through Littlefinger's actions. 

Next week's episode looks to be a real thriller as well  :metal

Offline Adami

« Reply #5529 on: August 21, 2017, 11:11:09 AM »
Also, does the Night King really just have those giant huge and heavy chains with him at all times just in case he needs to pull a dragon out of the water?

While the dialogue has been great, plot wise, the writing is getting pretty sloppy.
fanticide.bandcamp.com