Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 632545 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #5320 on: August 08, 2017, 09:17:09 AM »
Another interesting aspect could be if Jamie gets captured, Cersei finds out, and does nothing to try and rescue him. She might write him off and choose to attack anyway, giving him a reason to flip.

Is there any way Tyrion could have saved Jaime from the dragon? I've only seen the scene once and it was all a blur.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #5321 on: August 08, 2017, 09:18:25 AM »

Is there any way Tyrion could have saved Jaime from the dragon? I've only seen the scene once and it was all a blur.

He'd have just bounced off Jamie :)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #5322 on: August 08, 2017, 09:24:45 AM »

I was wondering if he either convinced or commanded one of the soldiers under his command to do it?

I've rewatched and paused that scene a few times and it's near impossible to tell who did it. Logically you'd think Bronn but it's not clear at all....

And....how F'n deep is that Lake  :lol   I get it if he'd fallen off a boat but that was at the shoreline. Talk about a drop off!!!
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5323 on: August 08, 2017, 09:29:43 AM »
The deepness of the lake is really pissing my coworker off  :lol  I agree, I don't think it makes sense.

Thinking about it more, they should have just ended the episode with a stare down of Drogon and Jamie.  That would have been a real cliffhanger.  I really didn't like the way this episode ended. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5324 on: August 08, 2017, 09:36:44 AM »
Thinking about it more, they should have just ended the episode with a stare down of Drogon and Jamie.  That would have been a real cliffhanger.  I really didn't like the way this episode ended.

Realistically, both Bronn and Jaimie should have been toasted. Drogons fire weapon breath was torching a 20ft wide path....along with however long he kept it going. when Bronn jumped from the Scorpion Crossbow he jumped off to the side then Drogon blew it to bits.....there's no way Bronn's jump cleared the destruction zone of that fire breath. Same as Jaimie when He lined up the archers intially.....Drogon came down and roasted them all and Jaimie was in formation with them? But he moves his horse a bit and he's fine? And whoever his savior was at the end....the blast zone encompasses much more than what a man could just jump from, they both should have been burnt. but....minor details.......still an amazing episode.

And..GOT set a record for number of stuntmen on fire in an episode AND at once on film:

https://ew.com/tv/2017/06/06/game-of-thrones-season-7-fire-record/

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #5325 on: August 08, 2017, 09:36:50 AM »
The deepness of the lake is really pissing my coworker off  :lol  I agree, I don't think it makes sense.

This is the one thing that has been eating away at me since I saw it. :lol
He was riding along just in the water, then gets tackled off only a couple of meters further and it's a bottomless pit with no side! How many horses and men did they lose in this deceptively deep lake??!
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #5326 on: August 08, 2017, 09:52:03 AM »
If written well, Jaimie explaining why he killed his father to Dany would be a very nice scene. I think he ever only told Brienne, and never cared about explaining himself with other people, but maybe he would do Dany the courtesy of telling her exactly why.

I'm not so sure however if Jaimie can be turned against Cersei with logic. By now, once we crossed off the R+L=J thing from the list of theories into the list of known facts, the most popular theory is Jaimie killing Cersei, and I expect it to be a desperate spur of the moment thing like it happened with the Mad King.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5327 on: August 08, 2017, 10:18:33 AM »
I've kayaked in rivers where, at the edge, the water was only a foot deep. It was easy to get in the boat, and out of nowhere just after paddling away, the water was at least 20ft deep. You had to be careful not to try and get in too far from the edge because it was quite literally a drop off into the current. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5328 on: August 08, 2017, 10:24:51 AM »
I've kayaked in rivers where, at the edge, the water was only a foot deep. It was easy to get in the boat, and out of nowhere just after paddling away, the water was at least 20ft deep. You had to be careful not to try and get in too far from the edge because it was quite literally a drop off into the current.

Oh yeah...I've seen instances of it. But even with the shot from below when Jaimie initially starts to sink it's as if he were dropped off a boat in the middle of an ocean.....no sheer underwater cliff nearby....he's just out in the open.

Again....it's a nit picky point....but still a detail that could have easily been solved had they just shot it in a different manner. But I'm sure they wanted a certain 'feel' so they chose to do it that way.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #5329 on: August 08, 2017, 11:44:43 AM »
It's hard to imagine Jamie not being captured. I mean, he has to come up to breathe pretty quickly and he'll be surrounded by Dothraki. I doubt they all just left as quick as possible.

And even though Jamie is constantly a prisoner, there are some potential moments for him as a prisoner this time. Reuniting with Tyrion, right after learning that Tyrion didn't murder his kid, and also facing the Dany without threat would be interesting.

Doubt it'll go that way. I'm sure and Bronn will simply just escape.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5330 on: August 08, 2017, 11:54:26 AM »
Maybe I'm thinking too much into it, but is Jamie going to be able to remove his armor underwater? You always see in movies people needing help getting their armor on and off because of the way you have to attach everything. I don't know if he can do it unassisted. I think it would be awesome if we saw him struggling and then the dragon's head grabbing him.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5331 on: August 08, 2017, 12:28:39 PM »
Maybe I'm thinking too much into it, but is Jamie going to be able to remove his armor underwater? You always see in movies people needing help getting their armor on and off because of the way you have to attach everything. I don't know if he can do it unassisted. I think it would be awesome if we saw him struggling and then the dragon's head grabbing him.

Yup, they've shown before that he can't do the armor himself with one hand.  Also, that's tough regardless and hence the use of a squire.  Bronn may be able to help him get it off quickly.  I'm not sure how it'll play out, but I have a hard time seeing Jamie dying just yet and an escape seems highly unlikely.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5332 on: August 08, 2017, 12:36:32 PM »
I have a hard time seeing Jamie dying just yet and an escape seems highly unlikely.

It would be an 'odd' way for him to die. Not that it wouldn't be plausible given the weight of the armor, one handed etc that has been discussed.....but for his character to die in that fashion? Why not just have him roasted alive then...why the last minute save by Bronn?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5333 on: August 08, 2017, 01:00:19 PM »
I have a hard time seeing Jamie dying just yet and an escape seems highly unlikely.

It would be an 'odd' way for him to die. Not that it wouldn't be plausible given the weight of the armor, one handed etc that has been discussed.....but for his character to die in that fashion? Why not just have him roasted alive then...why the last minute save by Bronn?

Yup and his knowledge of Joffrey means, to me, he has to let that be known before he does die (if he does).

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #5334 on: August 08, 2017, 01:03:50 PM »

Indeed.

There is no way from a narrative standpoint that they deliberately avoid for him a badass, although horrific, death by dragon fire, only to have him die drowning in the dark with the ambiguity of a cliffhanger and a black screen to let you guess about it.

If Jaimie dies before the end of the show, you can be sure it's gonna be in a very memorable and climatic scene.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5335 on: August 08, 2017, 01:40:47 PM »
There is speculation/talk that Gendry could make an appearance prior to the end of this season. I'm wondering what significance that could even play? Why even bother? He hasn't been a storyline in forever and I can't imagine they could "make up" time with something cool in the short amount of episodes they have left. What would be the purpose of bringing his character back into the fray? sure he's a bastard son of a King but who really gives a hoot? It'd be near impossible to even prove that at this point for him.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5336 on: August 08, 2017, 01:44:58 PM »
There is speculation/talk that Gendry could make an appearance prior to the end of this season. I'm wondering what significance that could even play? Why even bother? He hasn't been a storyline in forever and I can't imagine they could "make up" time with something cool in the short amount of episodes they have left. What would be the purpose of bringing his character back into the fray? sure he's a bastard son of a King but who really gives a hoot? It'd be near impossible to even prove that at this point for him.

Davos knows who he is.  Talk The Thrones brought this up, he knows how to weld Valyrian Steel.  He would be useful in the war against the White Walkers. 

Spoiler:
I wish I didn't know about this, but while Talk the Thrones was talking about this, they said it is confirmed he will be back this season as the actor said so apparently.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5337 on: August 08, 2017, 01:47:59 PM »
Davos knows who he is.  Talk The Thrones brought this up, he knows how to weld Valyrian Steel.  He would be useful in the war against the White Walkers. 

Ahh...good point. He would be handy then. Maybe after the dust settles from it all.....both wars when everyone has been beat to shreds he's the one who will end up on the Throne?

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5338 on: August 08, 2017, 01:52:28 PM »

Bronn could die by drowning because he chose to try and save Jamie (successfully) and runs out of air on the way up.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5339 on: August 08, 2017, 02:01:33 PM »
Bronn could die by drowning because he chose to try and save Jamie (successfully) and runs out of air on the way up.

even that would seem like a cheesy way for him to die. If they expanded the scene and show him making the effort to remove Jaimie's armor etc. then pushing him to safety or something then drowning.....then 'maybe' that'd be alright. But to have him just drown seems a bit anti climactic for his character....in the same line of reasoning as it was for Jaimie's. Bronn seems to 'deserve' a better....more brutal death  :lol 

Maybe he saves Jaimie...pulls him out of the water and as their surrounded he defends Jaimie from the Dothraki soldiers ultimately leading to his brutal death....just long enough for Tyrion or Dany to show up and spare Jaimie??

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #5340 on: August 08, 2017, 03:02:29 PM »

even that would seem like a cheesy way for him to die. If they expanded the scene and show him making the effort to remove Jaimie's armor etc. then pushing him to safety or something then drowning.....then 'maybe' that'd be alright. But to have him just drown seems a bit anti climactic for his character....in the same line of reasoning as it was for Jaimie's. Bronn seems to 'deserve' a better....more brutal death  :lol 

Maybe he saves Jaimie...pulls him out of the water and as their surrounded he defends Jaimie from the Dothraki soldiers ultimately leading to his brutal death....just long enough for Tyrion or Dany to show up and spare Jaimie??

I could see that.

I can't remember what terms Tyrion and Bronn left on.. little help folks?

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #5341 on: August 08, 2017, 03:07:34 PM »
"I like you, pampered little shit that you are. I just... like myself more".

That was Bronn refusing to be his champion in the impending trial by combat against the Mountain.

So they left on good terms, Tyrion understood he wouldn't go that far for him. There was mutual respect but Bronn wasn't just ready to very possibly die for him.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #5342 on: August 08, 2017, 03:41:56 PM »
Ah yes, now I remember. Just trying to figure it out if Tyrion happens to capture both Jaime and Bronn, lot's of options on the table.

I even see one where Tyrion is the one who brings everyone together, he seems to have a good relationship with almost all except Cersei, right?

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5343 on: August 08, 2017, 05:25:24 PM »
I might have just let my 11 year old son watch the battle scene.  ???   I couldn't help it, he loves Dragons and syfy stuff so i felt the need to show him. ''Twas a massive "you better not tell your mom" moment.

Offline Adami

« Reply #5344 on: August 08, 2017, 06:59:22 PM »
I might have just let my 11 year old son watch the battle scene.  ???   I couldn't help it, he loves Dragons and syfy stuff so i felt the need to show him. ''Twas a massive "you better not tell your mom" moment.

Oh that's nothing. When we were kids (I can't remember how much older you are than me) but we had the original Transformers movie when we were little kids and watched our childhood heroes get brutally murdered in front of us while groveling.

So seeing a bunch of no-faces get killed quickly is nothing.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5345 on: August 08, 2017, 07:26:14 PM »

Oh that's nothing. When we were kids (I can't remember how much older you are than me) but we had the original Transformers movie when we were little kids and watched our childhood heroes get brutally murdered in front of us while groveling.

So seeing a bunch of no-faces get killed quickly is nothing.

I'm (41). I remember that original Transformer movie. My parents were not strict with me and my brothers as far as movies ratings and what we could and couldn't watch growing up

My wife and I have been a lot more strict with our kiddos as far as limiting their exposure to outright violence. We've loosened up a bit lately letting them (10 yrs, 11 yrs) watch some PG-13 movies like Mazerunmer, some Transformers...stuff like that.

I thought that battle scene had the least amount of gore I'd seen on GOT and the Dragon was just awesome

Offline Adami

« Reply #5346 on: August 08, 2017, 07:28:20 PM »
Think of it as a teachable moment.

Next time your son is staring down a whole army of approaching Dothraki and his friend tells him to get the hell out of there.....he will!

So showing your son that episode may have very well saved his life.

Dad of the year? I think so.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5347 on: August 08, 2017, 08:07:07 PM »
Part of me feels like at some point, almost out of no where, the faceless men will come for Arya. I just don't feel like they would really just let her just walk out of there like that.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5348 on: August 08, 2017, 08:40:07 PM »
Part of me feels like at some point, almost out of no where, the faceless men will come for Arya. I just don't feel like they would really just let her just walk out of there like that.

I think the whole point of them choosing her WAS for her to walk out of there like that.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5349 on: August 08, 2017, 10:08:22 PM »

I think the whole point of them choosing her WAS for her to walk out of there like that.

Yea, that last moment she had with Jaquen seemed like that was all done for a reason.  I don't know that for fact, but that was the taste left in my mouth from the whole experience.  Almost like the faceless men knew about her list and wanted her to proceed with it. (or at least gave their blessing)

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5350 on: August 08, 2017, 10:28:04 PM »

Yea, that last moment she had with Jaquen seemed like that was all done for a reason.  I don't know that for fact, but that was the taste left in my mouth from the whole experience.  Almost like the faceless men knew about her list and wanted her to proceed with it. (or at least gave their blessing)

Her entire experience with the faceless men and Jaquen in particular was choreographed by him/them. He "just so happened" to be a prisoner in the path of her travel when we know he could have escaped at anytime. He befriended her and more or less implored her to seek him out by giving her that coin.

I think you're on to something with the sentiment that there were/are people they want dead and she was going to be the perfect weapon to get it done.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5351 on: August 09, 2017, 04:34:07 AM »
Wow, that was intense!

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5352 on: August 09, 2017, 04:43:38 AM »

Her entire experience with the faceless men and Jaquen in particular was choreographed by him/them. He "just so happened" to be a prisoner in the path of her travel when we know he could have escaped at anytime. He befriended her and more or less implored her to seek him out by giving her that coin.

I think you're on to something with the sentiment that there were/are people they want dead and she was going to be the perfect weapon to get it done.

That actually makes a lot of sense. I didn't even look at it that way.

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #5353 on: August 09, 2017, 05:43:21 AM »

He was riding along just in the water, then gets tackled off only a couple of meters further and it's a bottomless pit with no side! How many horses and men did they lose in this deceptively deep lake??!

Man, I'm going to miss this show when it ends, what a run.

That being said, my sister said the same thing about the depth of the lake and how it made no sense. I'm like...."you just saw a fire breathing dragon flying through the sky with mom riding on the back. a land of giants, night kings, the faceless, and 3 eyed raven and your complaining how the depth of the lake is unrealistic?" Pretty much anything is possible with this show as they have shown many times. Things like that just bounce right off of me anymore.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #5354 on: August 09, 2017, 05:50:11 AM »

Man, I'm going to miss this show when it ends, what a run.

That being said, my sister said the same thing about the depth of the lake and how it made no sense. I'm like...."you just saw a fire breathing dragon flying through the sky with mom riding on the back. a land of giants, night kings, the faceless, and 3 eyed raven and your complaining how the depth of the lake is unrealistic?" Pretty much anything is possible with this show as they have shown many times. Things like that just bounce right off of me anymore.

It's more about internal consistency. The lake we saw from below didn't really have continuity with what we saw from above. If the dragons suddenly started shooting lasers from its eyes, I'd have a problem with that too. :lol
It's not like it was a big deal that ruined anything, but in the moment it was a little jarring. Still one of the greatest scenes ever seen on television, no doubt.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.