Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 633640 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #5110 on: July 17, 2017, 01:28:00 PM »
Another amazing episode. This is easily my favorite show of all time. So much happened in 1 hour. Jamie is starting to move away from Cersei. Arya is on her way to kings landing. Hard to believe there are only 12 more episodes of the show. I love not knowing what's going to happen.

Spoilers. People gonna die.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5111 on: July 17, 2017, 01:36:11 PM »
Another amazing episode. This is easily my favorite show of all time. So much happened in 1 hour. Jamie is starting to move away from Cersei. Arya is on her way to kings landing. Hard to believe there are only 12 more episodes of the show. I love not knowing what's going to happen.

Spoilers. People gonna die.

Are the dead going to die too?

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5112 on: July 17, 2017, 01:46:17 PM »

I'm wondering if we're going to see a rift between Sansa and Jon. They had completely different views on how to deal with the families and houses of those who betrayed them. Once she finds out about Jon's real background, do you think she'll turn on him?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5113 on: July 17, 2017, 01:53:03 PM »

I'm wondering if we're going to see a rift between Sansa and Jon. They had completely different views on how to deal with the families and houses of those who betrayed them. Once she finds out about Jon's real background, do you think she'll turn on him?

It looks like LF is definitely noticing this and I'm sure he will be involved in trying to get them against each other.  However, I have a hard time believing Sansa is going to turn on him, but that certainly would be surprising.  Her mentioning of learning from Cersei could be a sign of that too.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #5114 on: July 17, 2017, 02:00:33 PM »

It looks like LF is definitely noticing this and I'm sure he will be involved in trying to get them against each other.  However, I have a hard time believing Sansa is going to turn on him, but that certainly would be surprising.  Her mentioning of learning from Cersei could be a sign of that too.

This will be an interesting plot point for the season. Based on the trailers it looks like Jon will be away from Sansa soon so who knows how big the divide will grow. I think Jon is one character who for sure won't die (again) so I don't see Sansa bringing about his demise. However, what if Sansa get's caught scheming to overthrow him and turns into a traitor and Jon had to execute her and little finger! Based on the speech he gave maybe that was a foreshadow.

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5115 on: July 17, 2017, 02:28:57 PM »
Great opener for the new 'short' season but wait we get an extra long last episode, but there is an extra short episode as well, not sure which one.

I loved the opening with Arya, who is still my favourite character, I can't wait until she meets up with John, although I do want to see a reunion with The Hound as well.

If the first episode is anything to go by, I hope it is a great season... I hope Jamie wakes up and gets the hell away from Cersei, I want to see him meet up with Tyrion again.

I realized driving to work, this season will be over before the end of August, even before DT tour OZ in September.

Does anyone watch the UK show Thronecast? Episode wrap up, special guests including recently departed cast members. Looking forward to that later tonight.  :corn

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5116 on: July 17, 2017, 02:35:31 PM »
"When they ask you what happened here, tell them that the North remembers. Tell them that winter has come for House Frey."

FUCK YEAH!!!  :metal Welcome back Arya and welcome back Game of Thrones! The cold opening was brilliant, sure, it takes you 10 second to realize it's not a flashback and that Walder is Arya in disguise, but still that was awesome to behold.

Also the ride of the undead in the snow was fantastic. Random wintry field, then some clouds, then a couple of walkers, and then the goddamn army with a goddamn undead giant.

Euron trolling Jaimie was also a nice touch, what a douche  :lol "Here I am with two hands"... "You should try to kill your brother, it feels good".. LOL.

I was half figuring Dany would have gotten the last scene... she's back home! "Shall we begin?" with the screen going black afterwards it's a nice meta touch. Yes, we will begin!!!  :metal
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 03:00:43 PM by MirrorMask »
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5117 on: July 17, 2017, 06:29:36 PM »
Arya is one of the baddest characters I've seen on TV. She is written well and Maisie Williams plays her perfectly.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #5118 on: July 17, 2017, 06:36:17 PM »
I'm guessing Euron comes back with the Dragon Horn just in time to Change the tide of a battle. I just hope he or Cersi don't get control of all three Dragons.

Maybe they get Drogon and Dany is forced to have the other two kill him?
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline faizoff

« Reply #5119 on: July 17, 2017, 07:08:39 PM »
No surprise whatsoever that the ratings would be crushing it from the getgo.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com//live-feed/tv-ratings-game-thrones-premiere-crushes-previous-audience-record-1021845
I imagine the final season ratings will be through the roof. I don't know if it's been confirmed that season 8 will return in 2019, I thought I read that was the plan wince Westworld returns in 2018.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5120 on: July 17, 2017, 07:47:13 PM »
Westworld and the sheer scale of the battles/CGI work that has to be performed will push season 8'to 2019.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #5121 on: July 18, 2017, 01:38:53 AM »
I've looked but I haven't found something good so I'm asking here - is there a video on YT or something that gives you the TLDR of most important events to catch up on the show? I have no interest in watching it, but I am a little bit interested to know what's happening overall. Last I saw was the dude that got his head smashed and nothing after that season - got bored of it, same as the books.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #5122 on: July 18, 2017, 02:01:06 AM »
Arya is one of the baddest characters I've seen on TV. She is written well and Maisie Williams plays her perfectly.

Nah.  If that was the case she'd have killed Ed Sheeran as soon as she heard his annoying voice :)

Good episode.  Typical of the series openers a quick recap visit to all the main players, to remind us where they are and what they are doing.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5123 on: July 18, 2017, 02:33:22 AM »

Nah.  If that was the case she'd have killed Ed Sheeran as soon as she heard his annoying voice :)

I was waiting for them to be attacked or ambushed as soon as I saw Sheeran in that scene :lol
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #5124 on: July 18, 2017, 02:35:40 AM »
Apparently people didn't like him very much as he has deleted his twitter after the episode aired.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5125 on: July 18, 2017, 02:49:59 AM »
So great to have the show back!  Solid first episode, laying down the foundation of the season.

Clegane is probably my favourite character, seeing him verbally abuse everyone is always amusing.  :lol

I don't think Sansa will turn on Jon, however Littlefinger has something under his sleeve so he might manipulate her or spread lies or something.

Have nothing against Ed Sheeran but his cameo distracted me quite a bit, especially when his face was in almost every camera shot during that scene even though he didn't say anything.

Sam finding the history of Dragonstone and what's hidden under the castle is a major thing, that was cool.

Can't wait for next week!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5126 on: July 18, 2017, 04:28:44 AM »
Speaking about Dragonstone... Stannis left it to go to the Wall, left absolutely nobody behind, and when news arrived of his death, nobody in King's Landing cared? I understand there were frantic times with the Faith Militant taking over King's Landing and Cersei is always stone cold drunk when she's not plotting murder, but literally no one either stayed behind in Dragonstone and no one bothered to reclaim it?  this careleness of Cersei about forgetting important castles makes me think that one day Dany will reach King's Landing, and she'll wander around the dungeons and stumble upon Septa Unella because Cersei totally forgot about her eventually.

Anyway, even a hint of the aftermath of a small battle, or literally a line from Tyrion or Greyworm ("My queen, you can land now, the skeleton crew left behind has been vanquished") would have been enough.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #5127 on: July 18, 2017, 06:54:42 AM »
she'll wander around the dungeons and stumble upon Septa Unella because Cersei totally forgot about her eventually.

Anyway, even a hint of the aftermath of a small battle, or literally a line from Tyrion or Greyworm ("My queen, you can land now, the skeleton crew left behind has been vanquished") would have been enough.

We rewatched the end of Season 6 before the premiere, and Cersei left Septa Unella to the reanimated Mountain and walked away, knowing of the torture and likely death that would follow.

I don't really agree that there needed to be a fight to take the castle.  Jamie was pretty much chastising Cersei for her lack of caring about issues like that.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5128 on: July 18, 2017, 06:58:48 AM »
Speaking about Dragonstone... Stannis left it to go to the Wall, left absolutely nobody behind, and when news arrived of his death, nobody in King's Landing cared? I understand there were frantic times with the Faith Militant taking over King's Landing and Cersei is always stone cold drunk when she's not plotting murder, but literally no one either stayed behind in Dragonstone and no one bothered to reclaim it?  this careleness of Cersei about forgetting important castles makes me think that one day Dany will reach King's Landing, and she'll wander around the dungeons and stumble upon Septa Unella because Cersei totally forgot about her eventually.

Well the book had a different way of using Dragonstone after Stannis left which made more sense towards your line of thinking.  I was kind of shocked the whole island was deserted too, but then again, it was mentioned that no one was there while Jamie and Cersei were talking earlier in the episode.  At least the writers snuck that line in, within the context of Cersei being a poor ruler with her 3 kingdoms.

I'm guessing Euron comes back with the Dragon Horn just in time to Change the tide of a battle. I just hope he or Cersi don't get control of all three Dragons.

Totally forgot about Euron and the Dragon Horn.  That would be interesting, but since it hasn't appeared or been talked about in show, I wonder if they will still go that route.  That would be crazy to see someone else take control of a dragon.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #5129 on: July 18, 2017, 07:06:36 AM »
I'm thinking at least one dragon will get killed. I'm guessing most are assuming Danearys will defeat Cersei but what a mind fuck it will be if she defeats the dragons, Dany, Tyrion, and Arya. I still would bet on Dany defeating Cersei. It may look bad for awhile but I'm guessing Dorn will arrive just in time to save the day.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5130 on: July 18, 2017, 08:16:44 AM »
I'm thinking at least one dragon will get killed. I'm guessing most are assuming Danearys will defeat Cersei but what a mind fuck it will be if she defeats the dragons, Dany, Tyrion, and Arya. I still would bet on Dany defeating Cersei. It may look bad for awhile but I'm guessing Dorn will arrive just in time to save the day.

Dany will keep the big one. Cersei will get one of the smaller ones. An ice giant will kill the other small one and it will become the ice king's.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #5131 on: July 18, 2017, 09:11:01 AM »
but what a mind fuck it will be if she defeats the dragons, Dany, Tyrion, and Arya.

As the seasons have gone on generally the show has been a little predictable in who lives and who wins, pulling out a massive surprise like this would be pretty damn awesome.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5132 on: July 18, 2017, 09:12:44 AM »
but what a mind fuck it will be if she defeats the dragons, Dany, Tyrion, and Arya.

As the seasons have gone on generally the show has been a little predictable in who lives and who wins, pulling out a massive surprise like this would be pretty damn awesome.

Yea agreed, that would be crazy if they pulled a move like that.  Also, Sansa turning bad would be an awesome twist.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5133 on: July 18, 2017, 09:16:34 AM »
Does the Ice King have a queen?

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5134 on: July 18, 2017, 09:24:40 AM »

In A Song of Ice and Fire lore, yes. The Night King was a Lord Commander of the Night's Watch who fell for a very weird and very beautiful creature beyond the Wall, and they started to make unholy sacrifices. I don't think the show will bother to give him a queen.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5135 on: July 18, 2017, 09:26:31 AM »
she'll wander around the dungeons and stumble upon Septa Unella because Cersei totally forgot about her eventually.

We rewatched the end of Season 6 before the premiere, and Cersei left Septa Unella to the reanimated Mountain and walked away, knowing of the torture and likely death that would follow.

Cersei told her that she would not day not that day, not for a very long time, so my idea is that she wants the Mountain to continue to rape her over and over, not just bang her for two days and then snap her neck . Hence the joke about her eventually even forgetting she even wants to torture for the long run Unella.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5136 on: July 18, 2017, 09:28:00 AM »

In A Song of Ice and Fire lore, yes. The Night King was a Lord Commander of the Night's Watch who fell for a very weird and very beautiful creature beyond the Wall, and they started to make unholy sacrifices. I don't think the show will bother to give him a queen.

Yea, also, that's just lore as you said.  Those stories aren't even shown to be true in the books.  The way the show did the flashback with the Night's King being turned into a WW makes it somewhat clear they aren't going down the ASOIAF lore that was told in the books. 

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5137 on: July 18, 2017, 11:38:32 AM »

Totally forgot about Euron and the Dragon Horn.  That would be interesting, but since it hasn't appeared or been talked about in show, I wonder if they will still go that route.  That would be crazy to see someone else take control of a dragon.

It would come out of nowhere for sure being that it hasn't been mentioned. But I can't think of another thing that would impress Cersi more than that? It'd certainly be a game changer.

The most compelling storyline if that were to happen would be Cersi\Euron gain control of Drogon forcing Dany to kill him via the other two. She and Drogon are connected more than the other two and it'd be a tough blow to her....and the audience. It'd feel 'cheap' to me if they give control of the 'expendable' dragons to them for them to then be defeated. It'd be less impactful.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5138 on: July 18, 2017, 11:41:36 AM »
Honestly never put much thought into any of the dragons dying simply due to the "dragon having three heads"

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5139 on: July 18, 2017, 11:52:38 AM »
There's also the chance of Bran warging into one of them.

"You will never walk again... but you will fly".

(Then he wargs into a random raven and the prophecy becomes the biggest underwhelm ever)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5140 on: July 18, 2017, 03:01:27 PM »
I just realized there's no After The Thrones anymore?  I really enjoyed watching that last season.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #5141 on: July 18, 2017, 03:04:09 PM »
I just realized there's no After The Thrones anymore?  I really enjoyed watching that last season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkFod-Wq694

I'm a fan of this one. They have no affiliation to the show, so they don't hold back, but they have tons of book/show knowledge and will point out things you never knew.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5142 on: July 18, 2017, 03:06:47 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkFod-Wq694

I'm a fan of this one. They have no affiliation to the show, so they don't hold back, but they have tons of book/show knowledge and will point out things you never knew.

Actually, just found out they are still doing it just not on HBO

https://www.pscp.tv/ringer/1lPKqwroXkZJb?t=0

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #5143 on: July 20, 2017, 01:55:49 AM »
So great to have the show back!  Solid first episode, laying down the foundation of the season.

Clegane is probably my favourite character, seeing him verbally abuse everyone is always amusing.  :lol

I don't think Sansa will turn on Jon, however Littlefinger has something under his sleeve so he might manipulate her or spread lies or something.

Have nothing against Ed Sheeran but his cameo distracted me quite a bit, especially when his face was in almost every camera shot during that scene even though he didn't say anything.

Sam finding the history of Dragonstone and what's hidden under the castle is a major thing, that was cool.

Can't wait for next week!

Very similar to my own thoughts. I love every scene with The Hound - he's got this kind of grumpy coolness thing going on. I agree about Ed Sheeran being distracting. Hope he isn't in further episodes.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #5144 on: July 20, 2017, 07:32:57 AM »
So I really hope we don't have to wait 18 months for the last season.