Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 634900 times)

Offline ChuckSteak

Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #4900 on: October 17, 2016, 07:09:13 PM »
Any news on the date release of the new book?  :P

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #4901 on: October 17, 2016, 07:12:14 PM »
It's still coming out.

Online faizoff

« Reply #4902 on: October 17, 2016, 07:35:32 PM »
It has the same release date as Half Life 3.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #4903 on: October 17, 2016, 07:45:23 PM »
So how far ahead are the books in relation to the series. I mean, is there a lot already published that happens after the end of S6? Just curious...

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4904 on: October 17, 2016, 08:01:11 PM »
Not all of the story lines are at the same point in time in the show.  However, most of the show story lines have surpassed the book.

Online faizoff

« Reply #4905 on: October 17, 2016, 08:03:36 PM »
I've only read the first three books but from what I gather the main plot points of the books are all covered in the show. Since the books aren't written linearly and jump around some of the book story lines lag behind and others are at the same spot as the show. I don't think any of the book storylines used in the show are ahead anymore.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4906 on: October 17, 2016, 08:35:00 PM »
There are also several major storylines from books four and five that aren't in the show and there are definitely noticeable changes between the storyline in the books vs the show. That alone has made it kinda of nice to read the books since there is so much new information to digest.

Online faizoff

« Reply #4907 on: October 17, 2016, 08:43:40 PM »
I've held back reading books 4 & 5 due to the possibility of the show using some of the parts of discarded storylines from the books. Maybe I'll start book 4 after season 7 ends

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #4908 on: October 17, 2016, 10:28:52 PM »
Just watched the Hodor episode. Fuck this show.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #4909 on: October 17, 2016, 10:37:02 PM »
 :lol

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4910 on: October 18, 2016, 05:25:22 AM »
Just watched the Hodor episode. Fuck this show.

Yeah, I know. I never expected he would kill off Hodor, but this is GRRM we're talking about.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4911 on: October 18, 2016, 05:57:59 AM »
Well, if at all he's being realistic, if he wants to avoid cliches at all costs, he should continue to kill characters up until the very end, and not only at the relative beginning.

Take sports, in real life there are favorite teams losing the final or even the semi final. No one would make a sport movie about a team that loses a final or even the semi-final, but if the "game of thrones" is a tournament, there must be someone that stumbles at the last step.

Maybe Daenerys herself, imagine if she conquers almost all Westeros, and then makes a stupid mistake with King Landing in sight and gets killed because of it. Once again I use sports as a comparison, the equivalent of a favorite football team that loses the final because the so far excellent goalkeeper totally misses a catch in a very slapstick way. It would be interesting at least from a "realistic narrative" standpoint see something like this happen.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4912 on: October 18, 2016, 06:07:54 AM »
Take sports, in real life there are favorite teams losing the final or even the semi final. No one would make a sport movie about a team that loses a final or even the semi-final

8 Men Out
A League of Their Own
Friday Night Lights
Semi-Pro

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4913 on: October 18, 2016, 06:16:26 AM »
Really? I stand corrected then. I don't really watch sport movies so I had assumed they were not all "in GRR Martin style" and that they focused on the winners.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4914 on: October 18, 2016, 06:20:16 AM »
Well, if at all he's being realistic, if he wants to avoid cliches at all costs, he should continue to kill characters up until the very end, and not only at the relative beginning.

I'm still hoping the White Walkers tear through the wall, ice giants use their huge bows to take down a dragon or two (giving them ice breathing dragons), and then proceed to kill every single character while laying waste to all 7 kingdoms before claiming victory.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #4915 on: October 18, 2016, 06:27:29 AM »
Take sports, in real life there are favorite teams losing the final or even the semi final. No one would make a sport movie about a team that loses a final or even the semi-final

8 Men Out
A League of Their Own
Friday Night Lights
Semi-Pro

Rocky I

I'm still hoping the White Walkers tear through the wall, ice giants use their huge bows to take down a dragon or two (giving them ice breathing dragons), and then proceed to kill every single character while laying waste to all 7 kingdoms before claiming victory.

That would be fucking cool, I was kinda hoping they would have pulled down the giant in the first battle giving us an undead giant.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4916 on: October 18, 2016, 06:29:18 AM »

If the one theory that everyone seems to believe is the one GRRM said was correct, then there won't be a war. There will be a new pact between white walkers and men. It'll be Jon Snow leading that cause.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4917 on: October 18, 2016, 06:37:56 AM »

If the one theory that everyone seems to believe is the one GRRM said was correct, then there won't be a war. There will be a new pact between white walkers and men. It'll be Jon Snow leading that cause.

Wait, the creator spoiled the series? No war will disappoint me :(

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4918 on: October 18, 2016, 06:55:17 AM »
He said someone had guessed the ending correctly, but didn't say which theory it was. The one I'm referring to is the one most fans think is correct. So, that's just a theory. :lol

https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/23p48r/the_true_nature_and_purpose_of_the_others_and_the/

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4919 on: October 18, 2016, 07:05:58 AM »
About the Wall, I remember seeing a seemingly official poster teaser for Season 7 that depicted it all coming down. Couldn't find other references and I couldn't tell if it was a very well made fan poster, or an actual tease from HBO.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #4920 on: October 18, 2016, 07:15:02 AM »

Wait, the creator spoiled the series? No war will disappoint me :(

There's plenty of opportunity for war even without the white walkers, if that were true.
Every possible scenario has probably been guessed by now, so it's no spoiler to me that someone must have guessed it right by now. I'm sure it will be awesome regardless.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online faizoff

« Reply #4921 on: October 18, 2016, 07:20:24 AM »
I doubt there's any official promo out from HBO right now for season 7.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4922 on: October 18, 2016, 07:53:58 AM »
About the Wall, I remember seeing a seemingly official poster teaser for Season 7 that depicted it all coming down. Couldn't find other references and I couldn't tell if it was a very well made fan poster, or an actual tease from HBO.

This was rumored to be the end of season 6.  I expect to see it happen at some point when the WW reach the wall next season.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #4923 on: October 19, 2016, 03:02:43 PM »
ASOIAF is not about discarding Fantasy tropes but about earning them. The Others will not win, but it will cost the lives of Dany, Jon, and whoever the third head of the dragon is (Tyrion?) to stop them.

...my name is Araragi.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4924 on: October 21, 2016, 11:36:41 AM »
Potential SPOILER alert:

Joe Dempsie, the actor who played Gendry, has apparently been spotted on set in Spain.  Gendry may be almost done rowing.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4925 on: October 21, 2016, 11:41:28 AM »
Potential SPOILER alert:

Joe Dempsie, the actor who played Gendry, has apparently been spotted on set in Spain.  Gendry may be almost done rowing.

Nice! 

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4926 on: October 21, 2016, 11:47:11 AM »
He must have HUGE arms by now.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4927 on: October 21, 2016, 01:47:10 PM »
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4928 on: October 22, 2016, 05:02:45 PM »
Woah! https://watchersonthewall.com/jon-snow-spotted-filming-major-characters/

There's a photo of Jon and Davos in the same still as a dothraki! Damn...I mean that could happen at the end of the season with the two sides meeting finally, but still. Now we know he goes to see Daenerys. Yes, it was inevitable but my anxiety just tripled.  :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #4929 on: October 24, 2016, 11:27:08 PM »
Just watched Battle of the Bastards, what a thoroughly brutal and over the top violent episode. Ramsay is a complete cocksucker, and totally  got what he deserved.

Edit: Just watched the beginning of 6.10...man, don't fuck with Cersei....
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 11:57:25 PM by lonestar »

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4930 on: October 25, 2016, 05:25:21 AM »
You've crammed so much Game of Thrones into such a short period of time, I'm surprised there haven't been any severe mental repercussions.  :lol

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #4931 on: October 25, 2016, 07:06:58 AM »
That whole episode left me shaking on the couch. The finale was so rewarding, though....
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Online faizoff

« Reply #4932 on: October 25, 2016, 07:46:14 AM »
Just watched Battle of the Bastards, what a thoroughly brutal and over the top violent episode. Ramsay is a complete cocksucker, and totally  got what he deserved.

Edit: Just watched the beginning of 6.10...man, don't fuck with Cersei....
The last two episodes of season six I think by far are my favorite GOT episodes and definitely in the top 5. The first 20 mins of S06ep10 is haunting, hypnotic and just one of the most amazing sequences that I can watch over and over again. Along with the music, it makes for one of the best dramatic TV sequences I've ever seen.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4933 on: October 25, 2016, 09:42:17 AM »
Yeah, the music is what really sells the scene. It's haunting, delicate but eerie, and guides you through the ever increasing tension. Even before I actually realized what was going to happen, I was already thinking to myself how wonderful the music was. Best piece ever of GoT music, second only to The Bear and the Maiden Fair : P

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #4934 on: October 25, 2016, 10:55:22 AM »
OK finished. Hell of a lot to process in that last 30 minutes, especially the implications of Jon being the son of a Stark and a Baratheon (if I got that right). If that is it, then Jon and Denarys are the two forces and illegitamete queen Cersei the total usurper to be dealt with. Just fucking crazy, and awesome.

I fucking love Arya so much, such a great character. Curious to see how she eventually crosses the Mountain off her list. Making the dude eat his own sons before slitting his throat, so fucking cold man.