Author Topic: Incubus  (Read 7767 times)

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Incubus
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2017, 07:18:09 PM »
Let me know what you think. I'm excited to see them this summer.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2017, 04:11:26 AM »
Bumping this thread from the grave. Anyone check out their new song "Nimble Bastard"?

Didn't know they had something new coming out.  I hope it's better than the last one, that was awful.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2017, 04:42:00 AM »
The last album was like adult contemporary, corporate elevator music. Unless they miraculously come out with something excellent, then I will just spend my time listening to their old stuff.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2017, 06:26:53 AM »
I wouldn't argue with you on the adult contemporary front but over the years I've grown to like it. It's my least favorite album but there are a few good tracks on there IMO.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2017, 06:51:36 PM »
I still need to give the Trust Fall EP a fair listen. Shame we're not getting a "side B" to that (that's going to irk me), but hey, new album. Hope it's good. The 2011 album sounded like a band that had been around too long and no longer had any good ideas.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2017, 09:01:15 AM »
Anyone listen to the new album yet? Listening now. Certainly doesn't touch their best stuff, but I think it's decent. I need to give it a few full listens before I can draw any final conclusions. There have been a few really nice songs, but I haven't been paying close enough attention to note the titles.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2017, 09:53:47 AM »
As long as it's better than If Not Now, When?, I'll take it. That album art and name are so uninspired though. It feels like they don't want to do this anymore.  :lol

But like I sid, I still need to give it a fair shake.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2017, 11:37:43 AM »
Anyone listen to the new album yet? Listening now. Certainly doesn't touch their best stuff, but I think it's decent. I need to give it a few full listens before I can draw any final conclusions. There have been a few really nice songs, but I haven't been paying close enough attention to note the titles.

I feel the same way.

As long as it's better than If Not Now, When?, I'll take it. That album art and name are so uninspired though. It feels like they don't want to do this anymore.  :lol

But like I sid, I still need to give it a fair shake.

I'm starting to get that feeling too sometimes. I mean they've been a band for almost 30 years at this point.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2017, 02:30:59 PM »
The new one sucks less than if not now, then when, but it still is pretty lame. All of this really breaks my heart, because they used to be pretty incredible and now they just make average adult contemporary.

And stuff like "when I became a man" makes me cringe.

I didn't even know that a new album of theirs was even coming out, which really goes to show how much they have pushed me away and its a shame since they were at one time one of my favorite bands and extremely influential on me as a musician. Not no more
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 03:55:53 PM by Phoenix87x »

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2017, 04:17:50 PM »
I honestly don't think "If Not Now" was a bad album, just different. I figured they wanted to try something a little different but I feel like they are starting to run out of ideas.

I agree with you Phoenix, Mike Einziger is in my top 10 musicians list.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2017, 04:22:03 PM »
Einziger is such a fascinating guitarist and musician in general. So versatile. I tried to play like him and could never pull it off.

Here he goes in 91 with brandon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHeI6cTr_B8

What a talent. both of them 

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2017, 07:00:11 PM »
Yea, also Ben Kenney is no slouch, just have a look at his solo work, or check him out on youtube.

Maybe they are just stuck trying to recapture old magic that they don't want to try anything new or too out of the box.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2017, 07:52:58 PM »
I'll give this new album a spin at some point, but not expecting much and will most likely be a one listen and that's it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2017, 11:15:55 AM »
Listened to the album this weekend and its starts strong and kind of fades out.  Definitely needs more listens, but there is some good stuff on it.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2017, 05:41:37 AM »
Whenever a new incubus album comes out, I evaluate it using the following method:

Step 1: Fairly listen to the new album all the way through with an open mind

Step 2: Immediately put on science and listen all the way through 

Step 3: collect my tears in a measuring cup. and like golf, the less tears in the cup determines how sweet the new album is.

***The new album albums has some cool moments, but my measuring cup did have quite a bit of tears  :'(

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2017, 06:52:30 AM »
:lol

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2017, 04:57:41 PM »
Whenever a new incubus album comes out, I evaluate it using the following method:

Step 1: Fairly listen to the new album all the way through with an open mind

Step 2: Immediately put on science and listen all the way through 

Step 3: collect my tears in a measuring cup. and like golf, the less tears in the cup determines how sweet the new album is.

***The new album albums has some cool moments, but my measuring cup did have quite a bit of tears  :'(
I approve of this methodology.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2017, 05:25:49 PM »
Man you must have dehydrated yourself back in 2011 then.  :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2017, 03:00:24 PM »
Been listening to 8 much more lately since I snagged a good seat for them this Friday.  It's a bit better than I initially gave credit for, but it's still fairly poor. 

Some song rankings for me:

Nimble Bastard
State of the Art
No Fun
--------- (the following songs are solid but nothing that good)
Familiar Faces
Glitterbomb
Throw Out the Map
--------- (the following songs are not at all interesting to me)
Loneliest
Make No Sound in the Digital Forest
Love in A Time of Surveilance (like the theme of these two songs but poor execution IMO)
When I Became A Man (is this a joke track? they seem to be playing it  :lol )
Undefeated (I kept turning the album off during this track, but finally got past it to at least enjoy Familiar Faces)

Anyway, their setlists so far look pretty solid though so I am excited to see them.... but the show is selling very poorly.  Sucks because this venue is one they frequent and is always packed for them.  Looks like that won't be the case this time.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2019, 03:24:17 PM »
So recently a family member recommended to me the song Drive to learn it and play at open mics because it apparently is right up my alley. And wow! I remember this song from when I was a kid! I ended up checking out the whole album and... how did I NOT listen to them before? Such a cool mix of everything 90s pretty much... some songs almost make me think it's close to being prog-grunge lol.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2019, 03:28:49 PM »
Yea, there's definitely something to them that makes them feel somewhat proggy/grungy I guess, but I think it's just more of some experimental sounds they use with their guitarist plus having an overall varied sound and style.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2019, 03:33:21 PM »
Science, make yourself and morning view are 3 of my favorite albums. 

This band used to be incredible

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2019, 03:39:17 PM »
Yea, SCIENCE and Make Yourself are fantastic.  Not crazy about Morning View, it has it's good songs but it's too soft for me, not enough of an edge on it.  Crow Left of the Murder is a bit better but they really were never able to get back to those two albums that got them on the map.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2019, 05:29:50 PM »
Anything A Crow left of Murder and earlier is stupendous.

Check out their first album fungus amongus. Some amazing guitar playing there.

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2019, 09:56:07 PM »
Light Grenades, Trust Fall (Side A), and a crow left of the murder... are probably my three favorites by them. They form a trio to represent the more "experimental" side of the band imo. SCIENCE and Make Yourself are probably my next favorites, which make up the heavier side. Morning View and If Not Now, When? are both lighter but they're both good in their own right. If Not Now, When? is actually some really good soft alternative. I just tend to pretend that 8 doesn't exist.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2019, 08:52:50 AM »
8 starts off well and just really falls apart after the 4th song or so.  Plus that production is just terrible which is amazing for a band that has sounded so good before in the studio. 

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2019, 10:58:22 AM »
eerie similarity to these 2 tunes. Someone needs to ask the Incubus guys about Kevin Gilbert.

Kevin Gilbert's "Miss Broadway"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp-lNwx_S3o

Incubus "Drive"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLy4QVp68_U

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2019, 04:57:02 PM »
Science, Make Yourself and Morning View are the holy trinity for me, but I do enjoy Fungus Amongus, Crow, and Light Grenades. LG was the first Incubus album I bought on release day, so it's always had a special place in my heart. If Not Now, When? and 8 are just dog poo to me though. Sounds like a band that ran out of steam and are only still going for the money, but I don't know them, so I can be super wrong about that.

There is a song that didn't make it onto INNW? called "Rebel Girls" that I really enjoy. It was a bonus track on the HQ Live album. Always perplexed me that it wasn't on that record; it's easily the best thing from those sessions.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2019, 05:03:07 PM »
Science, Make Yourself and Morning View are the holy trinity for me, but I do enjoy Fungus Amongus, Crow, and Light Grenades. LG was the first Incubus album I bought on release day, so it's always had a special place in my heart. If Not Now, When? and 8 are just dog poo to me though. Sounds like a band that ran out of steam and are only still going for the money, but I don't know them, so I can be super wrong about that.

There is a song that didn't make it onto INNW? called "Rebel Girls" that I really enjoy. It was a bonus track on the HQ Live album. Always perplexed me that it wasn't on that record; it's easily the best thing from those sessions.

Same here.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2020, 12:14:04 PM »
New single was leaked https://www.reddit.com/r/incubus/comments/ew8qwc/our_love_leak/ and rumors of a may release of a new album. 

meh, I don't know, might be a bit better than the last single Into the Summer, but this is just so far from being interesting.

The other very popular rumor (and I think its true) is Incubus and 311 doing a coheadline summer tour.  I'm definitely in for that, two bands I really enjoy even though both are fairly irrelevant these days.

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2020, 12:34:46 PM »

This is my feeling. The band ended for me after Crow. Crow is actually my favorite album of theirs, but everything all the way back to the beginning is awesome. The Red Rocks show from the Crow tour is also ridiculously good.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2020, 12:39:05 PM »
Yea, I love watching youtube videos from that red rocks show.  And also agree, everything from crow and before was great.  They have some good songs here and there since, but not a single good album.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: January 31, 2020, 07:07:21 AM »
I remember not digging crow when it first came out but it quickly grew on me. After that they just kind of lost steam.

The Raleigh show has been rescheduled to a Saturday and I'm pumped because I can pick up some tickets and go see them again. I really hope they do an anniversary tour for morning view.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #68 on: January 31, 2020, 07:38:46 AM »

This is my feeling. The band ended for me after Crow. Crow is actually my favorite album of theirs, but everything all the way back to the beginning is awesome. The Red Rocks show from the Crow tour is also ridiculously good.

Agreed.

I do like a few tracks off Light Grenades though.

New single is nothing and meh, just like If not now when and 8. They used to be so incredible, its tragic that they now release stuff like that.

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #69 on: January 31, 2020, 01:00:36 PM »
I actually do own Light Grenades but I never listen to it. It was my first 'new' Incubus album and it was such a letdown. I do occasionally check out the later stuff but then I fall asleep.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history