Author Topic: Jordan's benefit concert for Japan (plus some DT news)  (Read 20357 times)

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
Jordan's benefit concert for Japan (plus some DT news)
« on: April 11, 2011, 09:33:04 AM »
Jordan just posted a news item on Facebook about a benefit concert for Japan he'll be performing in later this month.  He said:

"Performing a benefit concert for Japan on April 30 at a local high school. I'll be playing some synth, some iPad and will be joined by some talented friends and some kids from the school. I'm thinking about adding a twist to some mainstream songs for this crowd. Will keep you posted. We're selling twenty $35 meet and greet tickets for sale here: helenhayesyt@aol.com. All other tickets: $15 at the door."

Facebook Link: https://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/event.php?eid=207220119305447
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 12:03:54 AM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
Re: Hope For Japan: Benefit Concert (featuring Jordan Rudess)
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 09:46:53 AM »
This guy's a class act, I tell you.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 09:52:28 AM »
Anyone thinking of going?  Looking at a map, West Nyack seems close to Tarrytown, which is where he performed in January.  So I'm sure it could be a similar crowd, plus local students and community members.  I think I might go.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 10:32:49 AM »
I might go. I had a great time at the last show, and its on a Saturday, but I'm not completely sold on the idea yet.

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 05:05:46 PM »
I hope their auditorium is big.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 10:07:33 AM »
This thread sunk pretty quickly.  No one else planning to go besides ZBomber?  I'll be on the road nearby after leaving a baseball game and the timing works out well, so I'll be there.  It might be interesting.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 05:30:15 AM »
I don't think I'll be going now.  :lol Just would be too much of a hassle for me at this point. Should be a cool show though!  :tup

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 07:28:38 AM »
I wish I had a phone that took good videos.  I'd like to shoot it for everyone to see.  But I only have a crappy cell.

Online Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 08:09:47 AM »
No one else planning to go besides ZBomber?

Most of us don't live near NY.  If I was an hour away, I'd be front and center.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 08:42:26 AM »
Is there a small chance that the new drummer or the band as a whole could make a surprise debut appearance at this benefit on Saturday night?  You know, the drummer is being revealed tomorrow so maybe this would be a low-key and fun way for them to play together live for the first time and get their feet wet.  Plus, all the band members are within 2-3 hours of the venue, since they all live nearby and JLB is presently recording his vocals in NY.

Offline Frank

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 09:41:57 AM »
That situation certainly would be interesting! I'm not sure though. It's not just Rudess - it's other community members and Japanese taiko. As interesting as it would be to see the new drummer have some fun with traditional drumming, I wouldn't hope for it.

I'll be going with some friends and be doing the meet and greet. The e-mail address that Rudess provided is that of his wife, so she might be there as well. It is "local" for him in that sense!

I'm looking very much forward to this.
Ahh, I hit the home button!
- Jordan Rudess

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2011, 09:45:58 AM »
That situation certainly would be interesting! I'm not sure though. It's not just Rudess - it's other community members and Japanese taiko. As interesting as it would be to see the new drummer have some fun with traditional drumming, I wouldn't hope for it.

I'll be going with some friends and be doing the meet and greet. The e-mail address that Rudess provided is that of his wife, so she might be there as well. It is "local" for him in that sense!

I'm looking very much forward to this.

Me too!  I'm doing the meet and greet, and I also corresponded with his wife, lol.  I'll be wearing a DT cap like in my avatar.  Say hi if you see me!

Offline Frank

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2011, 09:50:49 AM »
I most certainly will! Isn't his wife the owner of a theater troupe or something to that effect? He grew up in Great Neck, I believe, which is close to Tarrytown and West Nyack.

Also, do you know what type of meet and greet this is? I've been to some of other bands and they can go anywhere from "Shake their hands and say hi for two seconds" to "Chat with them relatively personally for thirty minutes". I've never been to a DT one, but again, this isn't DT.
- Jordan Rudess

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2011, 10:22:35 AM »
Yes, I think his wife works with Helen Hayes theatre or something like that.  The high school doing the benefit gave me her phone # to request my VIP tickets for the meet and greet, so I actually spokt with her briefly.  She is nice and friendly.  She was enjoying the drummer documentary too, but wouldn't reveal his identity to me, lol.  Not sure about the type of meet and greet.  I think it's after the show though, right?  I hope it is, because I might be running late.  I just want a photo with Jordan!

Offline Frank

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2011, 11:30:30 AM »
I believe so. The doors open at 6:15 and the show starts at 7. If they wanted to do the meet-and-greet before the show, they probably would have mentioned it somewhere.

Does Jordan like photos with fans? I'm not sure if he prefers that or autographs... ;)
- Jordan Rudess

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2011, 12:59:41 PM »
Meet and greet is after the show.  Just checked.  See you theeeeeen!!!

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2011, 09:49:11 PM »
Just got back from the show!  Incredible job by Jordan!  I took a bunch of pics and I met the wizard afterwards.  I also got some info on the status of recording for the new album and the songwriting process this time around, with Mangini.  I'll say more in a bit.  I'm a little tired and I want to upload my pics!

Also, nice meeting you, Frank!

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2011, 11:00:33 PM »
OK.  So here's a synopsis of Jordan's solo show/benefit for Japan tonight.  The show was held at Jordan's local high school in West Nyack, NY.  His daughter attends the school.  The show began with some student opening acts, and then Jordan hit the stage.  He kept rotating back and forth between the piano close to the audience and the keyboard on stage.  There were a few DT fans there wearing shirts, but it was mostly students, parents and community members in attendance.  Whenever he mentioned DT, a bunch of people would scream.  So I think there were a bunch of DT fans there not wearing DT shirts.

Anyway, on the piano he played an AMAZING cover of Pink Floyd's "Hey, You."  No joke.  It was breathtaking.  He also played The Beatles' "Yesterday" on piano and DT's "Hollow Years," which was the only DT song he played.  Several student groups joined him to sing and play guitar.  What a great opportunity for these young kids to play and perform with Jordan.  One student duo performed Simon & Garfunkel's "Sounds of Silence" with him.  There was also a large student chorus (pictured below) that sang two songs, while Jordan accompanied on piano.  The finale was a performance by the Wesleyan Taiko drum ensemble, which played these giant tribal-type drums while Jordan improvised over their beats.  For me, the highlight was when Jordan played "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" on Morphwiz, except the iPad cut out on the final notes.  Jordan blurts out: "Oh no, I hit the Home button," lol.  Everyone laughed, and then Jordan turned to his keyboard and improvised an impressive ending to the song.  He then instructed all music teachers to teach their students to improvise, because clearly you never know when you might need to!

During intermission, they played DT's Awake album over the loudspeaker.  It was a weird choice since Jordan doesn't play on that CD, but cool nonetheless.  I got there late, so I don't know what they played pre-show, but after they played BC&SL tunes.  When the show was over about 10-15 of us were brought backstage and we formed a line to meet him.  I thanked him for picking Mike Mangini as the new drummer, and I said he's a great fit.  I was so nervous that I don't remember everything he said.  While he was talking, I just remember thinking: "I can't believe I'm talking to Jordan," lol.  But he did say something like, he was nervous that the documentary was initially getting a mixed reaction from some fans. Either that, or he said HE was initially worried that it might get a mixed reaction.  I can't remember his wording.  But he's happy everyone seems to be embracing Mangini.  I told him the documentary was a great way to be open and bring fans behind the scenes like Portnoy used to do video wise, and this was a good first step to maintain that fan interaction that Portnoy had done.  He then said something about the band having to pick up Portnoy's other tasks, like rotating setlists.  I think that's what he said.  He mentioned something about that topic, but I was nervous and not focusing completely.

Lastly, I asked him if he could give me any details on the new album, songtitles, anything.  He said one thing he could tell me is that Myung wrote lyrics for songs (I believe he said songs, plural -- as in multiple songs).  Of course, we already figured this would happen.  He said next he is recording his keyboard parts.  I asked him if drums are done.  He said yes and they are killer.  He said Mangini would play some parts with one hand and he's never seen anything like it.  I asked if Mangini wrote the music together with the band, like Portnoy used to do.  He said no.  Jordan, John and John did the writing without Mangini.  I think that's pretty much it.  I kept it short, because I didn't want to hog his time.  But it was great to meet him.  Such a nice guy.  Cool show.  Definitely worth the car ride!

Here are some pics.  The first is Jordan and I.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 08:31:50 AM by Mebert78 »

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2011, 11:44:01 PM »
We get Myung lyrics!! It's just nice to have it confirmed
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2011, 11:47:45 PM »
 :metal :metal :metal
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline blackngold29

Re: Jordan's benefit concert for Japan (plus some DT news)
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2011, 12:10:05 AM »
Fantastic stuff, thanks for sharing!

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2011, 12:16:40 AM »
Pretty awesome dude, thanks for the post!  :tup

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2011, 12:26:07 AM »
Hah! When did Jordan start giving metal-horns?

Offline inoku

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2011, 12:27:06 AM »
JMX LYRICS  :metal :metal :metal

Offline j

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2011, 12:30:38 AM »
Mebert dude, that is awesome, thanks for sharing all of that. :tup  Sounds like a really cool experience.

-J

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2011, 12:40:07 AM »
Thank you for sharing this! :) I'm really happy to see Myung wrapping the pen! :tup

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2011, 12:55:20 AM »
Thanks! I'm looking forward to some JM lyrics again.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2011, 12:58:20 AM »
Well we have some awesome news my Friends  :metal :metal JM writing lyrics, JP & JR & JM writing music. Very good news, I expect different album than 6DOIT or TOT or SC or BC&SL... I expect now for real - the Greatest Dream Theater album. :metal :metal

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2011, 01:14:23 AM »
I expect now for real - the Greatest Dream Theater album. :metal :metal

come on now
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2011, 01:21:48 AM »
I expect now for real - the Greatest Dream Theater album. :metal :metal
Mmmm nah.

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2011, 01:22:15 AM »
Ok, maybe I have gone too far with that :P

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2011, 03:55:30 AM »
Well I don't see why it's not a possibility.

Don't worry Cody, you're just less grumpy and cynical than those giant indies.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2011, 04:07:00 AM »
 :lol at how this turned into an "OMG JMX LYRICS!" thread! Not that it's a bad thing, though.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2011, 04:08:23 AM »
Multiple contributions on the same album?!

He's broken a personal record!!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2011, 04:54:08 AM »
Great to hear!  Thanks for the report!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.