Author Topic: Sidney Lumet 1924-2011  (Read 956 times)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Sidney Lumet 1924-2011
« on: April 09, 2011, 12:21:42 PM »
Quite a guy.  Nobody was as good at ratcheting up the tension as him.  No music.  Claustrophobic camera angles.  Intense performances from his actors.  The guy really had a real knack for putting his audience into the same pressure-cooker as the characters in his films. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Re: Sidney Lumet 1924-2011
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 01:02:37 PM »
RIP.  The man has his share of Hollywood classics.  Maybe I'll watch Network tonight.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 09:57:26 PM »
Lots of views, not enough replies.

12 Angry Men, The Verdict, Dog Day Afternoon... all awesome. It's a shame Fail Safe got lost in the shadow of Dr. Strangelove. it is an amazing, thought-provoking, taut, thrilling, and scary movie.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline RandalGraves

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 10:16:30 PM »
RIP

Really enjoyed his last flick too, Before the Devil Knows You're Dead.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 11:15:53 PM »
It's a shame Fail Safe got lost in the shadow of Dr. Strangelove. it is an amazing, thought-provoking, taut, thrilling, and scary movie.
Indeed.  I watch Failsafe once a year or so.  Probably my favorite of his movies.  I love the contrast between Hagman who's scared shitless and acting like it, and Fonda who's scared shitless yet cool as ice.  And the idea of file clerks battling murders for control of post-apocalyptic Earth is just wonderful. 

There are a handful of very good films that I always thought would have been much better if Lumet had directed them.  I can't think of any other director with such a pronounced style that I could say that about. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson