Author Topic: Documentary making [HELP]  (Read 1961 times)

Offline LeeHarveyKennedy

• Who is posting?
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Oh my God, LHK is posting! How can that be?
Documentary making [HELP]
« on: April 09, 2011, 01:23:53 AM »
I don't know if there's anyone on here who has experience with filmmaking, but fuck it, I trust you guys.

A friend of mine wants to make a documentary. Long story short, he doesn't feel that he can get the main subject of this film to agree to be in it unless he gets compensation, ie. Money. He was asking for my advice, but this was one area that I had no idea about. Does anybody here know if people in documentaries get compensated in any way? I feel like that would violate some sort of ethics, but what do I know?

Can anybody help me out on this?
HOLY MARY MOTHER OF GOD!!!!!  THIS is why LHK is the President of Awesome.

Why is everything you post the best thing ever said?  :lol

LHK is beyond EPIC.
 :hefdaddy

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
Re: Documentary making [HELP]
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 02:55:46 AM »
I don't know if there's anyone on here who has experience with filmmaking, but fuck it, I trust you guys.

A friend of mine wants to make a documentary. Long story short, he doesn't feel that he can get the main subject of this film to agree to be in it unless he gets compensation, ie. Money. He was asking for my advice, but this was one area that I had no idea about. Does anybody here know if people in documentaries get compensated in any way? I feel like that would violate some sort of ethics, but what do I know?

Why wouldn't they?  They're getting paid to tell their story or share their information.  Essentially they you are paying for the right to use their information, opinion, and image.  Why wouldn't they get paid?  And why would that violate any ethics?
www.bedeceived.com

ZOMG WHAT'S AT BEDECEIVED.COM?

I DUNNO!  CLICK THE DARNED LINK TO FIND OUT!

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 03:17:36 AM »

Why wouldn't they?  They're getting paid to tell their story or share their information.  Essentially they you are paying for the right to use their information, opinion, and image.  Why wouldn't they get paid?  And why would that violate any ethics?

Because documentaries are generally trying to be informative and objective about their subject, and paying the people who are speaking in it creates a conflict of interest when they speak about that subject.

As for the OP, I honestly have no idea, but I'd imagine that in most cases they aren't paid. It probably depends on the subject matter however.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline LeeHarveyKennedy

• Who is posting?
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Maybe I'll email Michael Moore
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 11:02:58 AM »
And those are the two exact same viewpoints that I keep switching back and forth on.

LHK is beyond EPIC.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 11:11:05 AM »
I have to agree with Sigz. They can remain objective even with compensation, but it will likely ruin his/her credibility with the audience if they know the interviewee was paid.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 11:12:17 PM »
If you pay them, they become actors.  As Sigz said, its a conflict of interest and potentially career suicide for the filmmaker.

Now, if the subject of the film is interesting enough (read: The guys in American Movie), they can get some mainstream coverage which they may be able to cash in on.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 11:15:32 PM »
Yeah, he shouldn't get payed, but it seems like he's pretty insistent on it so your friend might be SOL.

Offline LeeHarveyKennedy

• Who is posting?
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: By "Good game plan", I mean they're involving me in it.
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 11:52:06 PM »
Yeah, which sucks, because other than that, I think my friends have a pretty solid gameplan. It's just getting the guy that this project would hinge upon to agree to it.

LHK is beyond EPIC.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, 11:53:48 AM »
Talking heads are paid. If it's a public figure, a fee for his time wouldn't be be unreasonable. I think the question would be whether your mate's willing to pay him. If he's willing, and the subject will accept, then hey! As long as the filmmaker's happy, and is willing to defend it to the death, I don't think it's a problem.

I'd offer without money, first. If the subject says "what's in it for me?" then counter with publicity. If he says "sorry, that's not enough," then I wouldn't hesitate to get a big fat wad out if it'll facilitate the production of a good bit of telly. No shame in it, though. I've produced documentaries where contributors have insisted on payment, and ones where they haven't. Doesn't matter what anyone will "say." Your loyalties lie with whatever makes a good programme, not with a persnickety gobshite on the internet who's on the hunt for a conspiracy. Money will not compromise your friend's vision.

I think a bigger hurdle would be that the subject, if as particular as you believe, may not be willing to entrust his public image to the hands of an outside production company with no stake in his own image.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2011, 12:03:04 PM »
If you pay them, they become actors.  As Sigz said, its a conflict of interest and potentially career suicide for the filmmaker.
If you film them they become actors. Everyone starts to act differently the second a camera is shoved in their face, money or no. A payment just gives them a snifter of a reason to let you into their home and life. "Career suicide" it ain't. Career suicide would be making a rubbish film. And even then, Uwe Boll's still got a life in film.

Having a film made about you is a hassle, and it wouldn't be worth it without a reason. Money is a perfectly normal incentive to have a camera shoved in your face. Most people in documentaries are given some incentive. Heck, even in reality shows, there's a prize at the end. Nobody takes a huge chunk of time and effort out of their lfie with no motive. Doesn't make their thoughts, speech or actions less real. Just means that they've got a reason not to tell the cameramen to fuck off.

Money shouldn't be your first instinct, and you should not offer this person money as an opening gambit, but it's a perfectly good way to ensure that you get the footage you need.

The only way it'd be dubious would be if money were going the other way. If he were paying you, that'd look suspicious. He'd have an agenda to push. But he doesn't. It's your friend's baby.

Offline LeeHarveyKennedy

• Who is posting?
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: In which robwebster says something awesome and well-written
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2011, 12:42:14 PM »
Hey rw, stop being so awesome and right all the time. Save some for the rest of us, alright?

But seriously, thanks for your input. That makes a lot of sense.

LHK is beyond EPIC.

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2011, 01:07:52 PM »
I think it depends on the type of documentary. If its some sort of research experiment thinkg where participants are needed, they are usually compensated. If its just interviewing people for their opinions, than I dont think so.
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline robwebster

Re: In which robwebster says something awesome and well-written
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2011, 01:12:07 PM »
Hey rw, stop being so awesome and right all the time. Save some for the rest of us, alright?
Stop being funnier than me and we'll talk.