Author Topic: Bible in a Year v. June  (Read 4142 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Bible in a Year v. May
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2011, 04:44:42 PM »
Okay, now I'm a few days ahead.  :myungwoot:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline yeshaberto

• Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
Re: Bible in a Year v. May
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2011, 04:56:56 PM »
just discovered how to get access to bible via my new blackberry....very cool

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Bible in a Year v. June
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2011, 09:35:29 AM »
Since this thread isn't as long, I've just modified the thread title rather than starting a new one. 

So for those who have stayed on pace, we have finished the historical books of the OT.  If this is your first time reading through the Bible, you have now read basically a "history of the world," from a Jewish perspective, from the creation through about 400 B.C.  When we get to the phophets, we will go back and fill in some details in the kingdom years and exile period, but the period of about 400 B.C. until a few years before Christ's birth is not dealt with directly (other than through prophecies in the OT and some references back in the NT). 

But first, the books of poetry, starting with Job.  Very interesting and very controversial book.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2011, 10:05:28 AM »
I love Job.  I will try to jump back in at this point.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2011, 10:11:50 AM »
I've not felt the need to fact-check this myself, but I've heard and read that there are bigger chunks of Job than anywhere else in the Bible that we simply do not know one way or the other whether they are authentic or do not know how to properly translate.  As a result, there is a much bigger variance in what some parts say from translation to translation than any other book in the Bible.  At least, I think that's how it was presented.  What say you on this, hef?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2011, 10:14:21 AM »
I've not felt the need to fact-check this myself, but I've heard and read that there are bigger chunks of Job than anywhere else in the Bible that we simply do not know one way or the other whether they are authentic or do not know how to properly translate.  As a result, there is a much bigger variance in what some parts say from translation to translation than any other book in the Bible.  At least, I think that's how it was presented.  What say you on this, hef?
I don't know about that per se, but I'll be happy to check it out.  :tup
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2011, 07:43:26 PM »
Hey guys, I'm still at the first book of the Bible.

:neverusethis:
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2011, 10:11:05 AM »
Hey guys, I'm still at the first book of the Bible.

:neverusethis:
What?  Wasn't this whole thing your idea in the first place?

Offline Ħ

« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2011, 10:54:40 AM »
'Twas a joke, my friend.  ;)
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2011, 04:17:15 PM »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2011, 04:52:09 PM »
No.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2011, 04:59:32 PM »
No.
Bosk1!  When is the last time you checked...er....the other website? ;)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2011, 05:32:18 PM »
er...awhile.  Because nobody (including you) was posting there.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2011, 05:33:09 PM »
that's gonna change   :D

Offline juice

• om nom nom
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2011, 01:44:04 PM »
Bump.

I have decided to stop following the reading schedule from the website and instead just read 2 pages a day.