Author Topic: Bible in a Year v. June  (Read 4088 times)

Offline Ħ

Bible in a Year v. June
« on: April 05, 2011, 09:24:34 PM »
Still going strong.  I don't know how they did without audio Bible's 50 years ago.  :lol

https://www.ewordtoday.com/year/  
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 09:27:59 AM by bosk1 »
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline juice

• om nom nom
Re: Bible in a Year v. April
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 12:03:08 AM »
No longer a week or so behind! Just maybe a day behind.  :)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 09:44:57 AM »
I am somewhat behind.  I will try to get caught up this weekend.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 09:59:12 AM »
Wow....I fell off the face of this. I literally forgot, and must have missed the monthly threads after January. To be fair, the last few months had been hard on me.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 06:08:42 PM »
I'm so behind. I may have to fall off permanently... or at least for awhile.

Eh, I guess I need to buy a physical copy. Trying to read on the website just doesn't do well for me.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 06:57:59 PM by Perpetual Change »

Offline Ħ

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 06:58:57 PM »
Aw, we're on the awesome books!  For about another month or so, it'll be smooth sailing with the Samuels and the Kings...but then one last drought with the Chronicles....but after that we have Job - SoS which are pretty much my favorite books ever.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 05:17:25 AM »
I almost vote that we just skip Chronicles, since it is largely a rewrite anyways.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 07:40:05 AM »
I've really fallen behind but I'm playing catchup this weekend.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 08:57:39 AM »
Well, gonna read ALOT tonight.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 05:38:02 PM »
...And I did. Finished Joshua last night. Will do Judges tonight.

Since there hasn't been any discussion since like Numbers anyway, I'm gonna talk about Joshua. I thought it was awesome. This is the first time, I think, where the Hebrews really just come across as being strong. They've got God fully on their side and, honestly, I don't see how you can describe anything that goes on in Joshua as anything less than an all-out death march.

But damn, is it powerful. On judges now, and every time I read "And they slew _____. And the LORD was with them." I get chills down my spine. So glad I moved back to the KJV. Maybe not the most accurate but I'm enjoying the readings so much more because of the language. 
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 07:32:35 AM by Perpetual Change »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2011, 02:33:11 AM »
So glad I moved back to the KJV. Maybe not the most accurate but I'm enjoying the readings so much more because of the language. 
As far as accuracy, you're safe with the KJV for the entire Hebrew Scriptures, and actually most of the NT as well.  But I admit, even though I rarely use it anymore, some passages definitely sound better from the KJV.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2011, 02:39:58 AM »
What's the biggest problem with the translation? From what I've read, the only reason people don't recommend it is because it's hard to understand. But I'm an English major and read stuff from this era for fun, so, no big deal.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2011, 02:44:52 AM »
What's the biggest problem with the translation? From what I've read, the only reason people don't recommend it is because it's hard to understand. But I'm an English major and read stuff from this era for fun, so, no big deal.
The biggest problems translation-wise are in the NT, specifically in the book of Revelation.  The basis for the KJV NT was a Greek edition prepared by Erasmus.  Of course, when Erasmus was putting together his Greek NT, he couldn't find a complete Greek manuscript of Revelation, so he used a Latin manuscript and back-translated it to Greek, basically completely fabricating a Greek manuscript for Revelation.  As a result, there are multiple textual errors found in the KJV version of Revelation that are found in no known actual Greek manuscript of the text.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2011, 02:47:19 AM »
Oh.

Well, I never have any idea what's going on in that book anyway.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2011, 03:08:53 AM »
Oh.

Well, I never have any idea what's going on in that book anyway.
Well, don't worry about it right now.  We'll get to it later.

But for what it's worth, I think that most other Christians don't have any idea what's going on in that book either.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2011, 03:25:38 AM »
The biggest problems translation-wise are in the NT, specifically in the book of Revelation.  The basis for the KJV NT was a Greek edition prepared by Erasmus.  Of course, when Erasmus was putting together his Greek NT, he couldn't find a complete Greek manuscript of Revelation, so he used a Latin manuscript and back-translated it to Greek, basically completely fabricating a Greek manuscript for Revelation.  As a result, there are multiple textual errors found in the KJV version of Revelation that are found in no known actual Greek manuscript of the text.
That is what is typically said about the KJV's Revelation...but I don't know if I agree.  :biggrin:

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2011, 03:39:58 AM »
That is what is typically said about the KJV's Revelation...but I don't know if I agree.  :biggrin:
Why in the world wouldn't you agree?  It's a fact, it's not an interpretation.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2011, 01:01:32 AM »
Lemme think about that hef, I have a couple resources I need to get through.  But I don't think it's as simple as Erasmus being lazy about the whole thing.

Anyway....I was thinking earlier today about casting OT characters as Lord of the Rings characters.  So far I've got:

Joshua - Aragorn
Aaron - Gandalf
God's voice - Christopher Lee

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2011, 04:32:23 AM »
Lemme think about that hef, I have a couple resources I need to get through.  But I don't think it's as simple as Erasmus being lazy about the whole thing.
No, I didn't say anything about his motivation.  It wasn't laziness, it was greed - someone else was preparing a Greek edition at the same time and he wanted to get his done first.  But he had no good Greek text for Revelation, so he did what he thought he had to do in the time he had.

But that doesn't really matter.  The problems in his Greek edition are there, regardless of motivation.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2011, 07:42:10 AM »
So where are we supposed to be now? I just finished Ruth.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2011, 08:42:03 AM »
I think we are supposed to be in 2 Samuel or 1 Kings by now.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2011, 01:15:04 PM »
Ok, serious question.  Who here is actually on target with the reading?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2011, 06:57:20 PM »
I don't even know where we're supposed to be. I'm on Samuel. Where are we supposed to be? Where is the link?

Offline Ħ

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2011, 07:07:23 PM »
https://www.ewordtoday.com/year/

We are supposed to be in the middle of 1 Kings.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2011, 08:26:35 PM »
So I'm less than a month behind. Awesome.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2011, 08:34:38 AM »
I fell behind again the end of last week.  Still in 2 Sam. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline juice

• om nom nom
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2011, 08:07:17 PM »
I'm about 4 days behind now.  Trying to keep up though.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2011, 06:33:27 PM »
Getting caught up.  I'm in early 1 Kings. 

So, I know this is a couple of days behind where we are, but I'm curious:  What do people think about Joab?  He's always been an interesting person to me.  We really aren't told much about his spiritual commitment.  He is intensely loyal to David and is an amazing warrior.  But we don't know much about whether he was a godly man or not.  He was certainly violent, and went against David's wishes several times in killing some of David's enemies that David had wanted kept alive (e.g. Absolom).  And it is clear at the end of David's life that David wants him repaid for the things he has done.  But is this David, the man, personally evening the score, or is it God repaying Joab through David?  I'm really not sure.  Thoughts?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline yeshaberto

• Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2011, 06:39:50 PM »
yeah, I have always been intrigued by Joab as well.

all I can think about now, though, is how thankful I am that I don't have to read my bible in this screen color

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2011, 05:40:12 AM »
Getting caught up.  I'm in early 1 Kings. 

So, I know this is a couple of days behind where we are, but I'm curious:  What do people think about Joab?  He's always been an interesting person to me.  We really aren't told much about his spiritual commitment.  He is intensely loyal to David and is an amazing warrior.  But we don't know much about whether he was a godly man or not.  He was certainly violent, and went against David's wishes several times in killing some of David's enemies that David had wanted kept alive (e.g. Absolom).  And it is clear at the end of David's life that David wants him repaid for the things he has done.  But is this David, the man, personally evening the score, or is it God repaying Joab through David?  I'm really not sure.  Thoughts?
I have also been fascinated with the Joab/David relationship.  Personally, I think it was David evening the score, not God.  David was a man after God's own heart, but he was also ruthless, in his own way.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Bible in a Year v. May
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2011, 09:04:08 AM »
Since these threads tend to be short, I just edited the title instead of starting a new one.  I'm a little over a week behind still, but getting caught up.  :(

Man, I had forgotten how tedious the beginning of 1 Chronicles is.  Glad I'm past that.  Finishing up that book, either later today or tomorrow.

Hopefully, I can get caught up.  But if not, eh, no worries.  I still want to go through reading the whole thing straight through, so if I ultimately end up finishing a month late, at least I finished.

Offline juice

• om nom nom
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2011, 01:50:35 PM »
I'm really far behind now.  Maybe a month behind.  I'll try to make it up once finals are over.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2011, 07:31:15 PM »
I'm still on Samuel. I do mean to finish, though, even if late.

Offline yeshaberto

• Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2011, 10:54:09 PM »
I am actually ahead, but primarily because I will be out of town next week and wanted to be caught up.   glad so many of you are still at least in the game

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2011, 05:42:23 AM »
I'm way behind, as well, but I've read the historical books many times before, so I'm not really "missing" anything.